As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Memorial [Chat]

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    and then I get an email that makes me even more furious.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    HL2 is bunk because no matter how Valve tries to spin it Gordon being a disembodied pair of hands and a gun was dumb especially when in a vehicle and you have no real forward point of reference other then the front of the vehicle because you didnt even get hands then.

And the cutscene issue is this as well.

I barely noticed the 'no hands' thing, so I guess for me it's an utterly irrelevant complaint. If I had I doubt I would have gone from loving the game to WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS.

NO IF THERE IS ONE THING WRONG THE GAME IS LITERALLY CANCER

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    it's pretty upfront about its intentions actually

they're just not intentions you're supposed to openly have in this post-1945 world

well

are we claiming now that Russia actually gave two shits about the populations they planted in eastern block countries during the soviet union era? they weren't just a flimsy pretext for other strategic and geo-political goals?

even aside from the crucial black sea navy base in the crimea, by seizing the peninsula they also just took the majority of Ukraines black sea territory

there's oil in them thar waters

I think the nationalists do care quite a bit about their fellow Russians, yes

the oil just provides an impetus for an alliance with oiligarchs

this is where we have a difference of opinion, i think it's the other way round

nationalist rhetoric is just a convenient excuse and an easy way to rally public support, i don't think it's the actual motivation behind Russias action

putin has been purging assorted oligarchs and relying instead on conservatives and nationalists

public support does matter; russia is not so centralized or so stable that putin can just wholly ignore public dissatisfaction at the degree of kleptocracy

i don't disagree with you there

point is though the nationalists are a means to an end

they're not really a demographic you can fire up for a few handy events and then put back in the toybox until next needed

aRkpc.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    hl2 sucks dongs because it smells of wee and u cant be a girl

the end

obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    gordon freeman?

gordon weeman

obF2Wuw.png
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    HL2 is bunk because no matter how Valve tries to spin it Gordon being a disembodied pair of hands and a gun was dumb especially when in a vehicle and you have no real forward point of reference other then the front of the vehicle because you didnt even get hands then.

I barely noticed the 'no hands' thing, so I guess for me it's an utterly irrelevant complaint. If I had I doubt I would have gone from loving the game to WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS.

if anything i was a fan of the first person perspective cutscenes

HL2 had immersion up the wazoo

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Anyone here played "The Last Remnant"?

I've heard that the PC-version is necessary for enjoyment.

they're just not intentions you're supposed to openly have in this post-1945 world

well

are we claiming now that Russia actually gave two shits about the populations they planted in eastern block countries during the soviet union era? they weren't just a flimsy pretext for other strategic and geo-political goals?

even aside from the crucial black sea navy base in the crimea, by seizing the peninsula they also just took the majority of Ukraines black sea territory

nationalist rhetoric is just a convenient excuse and an easy way to rally public support, i don't think it's the actual motivation behind Russias action

putin has been purging assorted oligarchs and relying instead on conservatives and nationalists

public support does matter; russia is not so centralized or so stable that putin can just wholly ignore public dissatisfaction at the degree of kleptocracy

they're not really a demographic you can fire up for a few handy events and then put back in the toybox until next needed

disagree

all you need is a constant stream of media and propaganda presenting them the world as they want to see it and they're happy

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I cant wait to see how VR fares.

I already aired my concerns about it on the PC side so I'm more interested in Sony's efforts.

Though this should surprise nobody, I am very interested in how Microsoft's VR thing susses out.

Especially since it would be criminal to not incorporate the kinect into it, which can do realistic face scans for 3d character models, and accurate mapping of where the body is and what you are doing with your arms/hands. The next kinect can even track the fingers, letting you gesture and grip things.

I am imagining a future game where you hold the controller in your left hand for just the stick and triggers, and you otherwise have both arms free to interact seamlessly with the world you are walking around in via the stick.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Comparing Metroid and HL2 doesn't really work for me, because Metroid barely bothers to have a story or characterisation. Which is fine, but it makes it a difficult choice for comparisons with HL2.
    i much preferred the no-assed metroid storytelling to the half-assed HL2 storytelling

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    why all phlegmy

i best not be getting sick

tho would not be surprised with poor sleep i've gotten......

poo
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

So does swimming through the settling basin...

nationalists are gullible, easily manipulated morons basically

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Comparing Metroid and HL2 doesn't really work for me, because Metroid barely bothers to have a story or characterisation. Which is fine, but it makes it a difficult choice for comparisons with HL2.
    i much preferred the no-assed metroid storytelling to the half-assed HL2 storytelling

I was using my whole ass!

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ah. I suppose it's -1 rolemodel for my cousin. Hmm.
    And he'll have to stand up to his mother alone. Hmm.

man

doing some piddly home exercises right now

not exercising for 4 months is dumb i can barely do anything now

it makes it so much harder to start again

should never ever stop but i guess i am type of person who if he falls off wagon he falls off hard

poo
    edited March 2014

well

disagree

all you need is a constant stream of media and propaganda presenting them the world as they want to see it and they're happy

can you see Putin pulling a Khrushchev-esque "okay, okay, we'll withdraw from Cuba if you secretly withdraw your Polaris missiles, thus embarrassing me to all my Soviet colleagues back home who have no clue that the US gave up anything" and not losing anything from it?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif

That's something we tell ourselves to feel better, I think.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    man

should never ever stop but i guess i am type of person who if he falls off wagon he falls off hard
    Do 5 hours of planking or bridges or whatever they call it.

vr is basically an inevitability

however console vr is going to be peasant tier, as either the fidelity or the fps is going to take a hard kick to the balls to fit onto that hardware

valve have been pitching figures of 90-95 fps per eye for immersion without some types of motion artefacting, and carmack agrees

in one sense it is perhaps understandable theyd push the top end as being essential given they are pc-centric, but it is significant that in 5 years or so it will be night on impossible to have the equivalent vr experience on a console. i will be very interested to see what people do with this beyond the obvious first person stuff, because i suspect a lot of what will get put onto the ps4/xbone will be ps3/360 games running at high fps and 1080p for vr. i would love to play bayoneta as a disembodied floating hed

obF2Wuw.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

immersion is not the word i'd use for having someone talk at you without getting any response

and also ignoring the fact that the player is currently hopping and crouching like some caged, agitated bonobo

cutscene plz

man

good work d0g

just remember to keep beginning

obF2Wuw.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    and then I get an email that makes me even more furious.

What's up dude?

this is true

the question is who is pulling the strings: the central executive or senior members of nationalist organizations/media groups

i.e., if Putin really wanted to push Dugin aside, is he in a position to do so atm without suffering crippling loss of political capital

aRkpc.gif

well

disagree

can you see Putin pulling a Khrushchev-esque "okay, okay, we'll withdraw from Cuba if you secretly withdraw your Polaris missiles, thus embarrassing me to all my Soviet colleagues back home who have no clue that the US gave up anything" and not losing anything from it?

well

that's where propaganda comes in

i mean was that actually presented as a loss to the Soviet public?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I just bought thief for 30 bucks.

Worst case scenario; I wasted 30 bucks.

But I'm hoping I can enjoy this one for at least long enough to get to the next "big thing"

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

however console vr is going to be peasant tier, as either the fidelity or the fps is going to take a hard kick to the balls to fit onto that hardware

valve have been pitching figures of 90-95 fps per eye for immersion without some types of motion artefacting, and carmack agrees

in one sense it is perhaps understandable theyd push the top end as being essential given they are pc-centric, but it is significant that in 5 years or so it will be night on impossible to have the equivalent vr experience on a console. i will be very interested to see what people do with this beyond the obvious first person stuff, because i suspect a lot of what will get put onto the ps4/xbone will be ps3/360 games running at high fps and 1080p for vr. i would love to play bayoneta as a disembodied floating hed
    My third eye means I require a steady 270fps for immersive VR

Haphazard wrote: »

history speaks for itself here

nationalists have always been the go to group for easy support to achieve geopolitical means

edited March 2014
    how it so hard to do anything

like i just struggled doing 1 set of 5 chin ups
    and 1 set of 15 push ups

i looked at fitocracy
    last workout i logged there was nov 3

did 6 sets of 5 chin ups with 20 lbs added on
    and did 7 sets of 5 bench presses at 140 lbs

which probably not very impressive but holy shit that's depressing that my laziness could take away that much and now i have so much work to do to get even back near that point

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Metroid? Half-Life? I want more of each. No 3DS Metroid. No Wii U Metroid. No Episode 3. No HL3.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    vr is going to be a boring gimmick for a really long time just liek motion control

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions

well

disagree

well

no; it was a dissent widely held amongst senior party members who were not privy to the deal, but the dissatisfaction was not publicized

is Putin in a position to enforce such message discipline?

aRkpc.gif

this is true

the question is who is pulling the strings: the central executive or senior members of nationalist organizations/media groups

i.e., if Putin really wanted to push Dugin aside, is he in a position to do so atm without suffering crippling loss of political capital

maybe not

no one ever said drawing on nationalist support was completely without drawbacks

they're just the easiest group to easily please and gain immediate and vocal support from

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

history speaks for itself here

nationalists have always been the go to group for easy support to achieve geopolitical means

Often by nationalists, that's what you're omitting. Sure the nationalist rabble is, well... rabble.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I just bought thief for 30 bucks.

Worst case scenario; I wasted 30 bucks.

But I'm hoping I can enjoy this one for at least long enough to get to the next "big thing"

When a $60 game released in February is $30 in March, this is a warning signal about the quality of the game.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    vr is going to be a boring gimmick for a really long time just liek motion control

disagree. The problem with motion control is it's not VR. You can't turn more then like, 20 degrees off-axis from the screen before you can't see it.

well

disagree

well

no; it was a dissent widely held amongst senior party members who were not privy to the deal, but the dissatisfaction was not publicized

is Putin in a position to enforce such message discipline?

have you seen the Russian Crimea coverage?

the vote condemning the Crimea annexation had 100 nations vote for it, 58 abstentions and 11 votes against

the Russians are domestically presenting it as a a growing trend of support for them

Russian media is now as doctored as it ever was by the Soviets

this is true

maybe not

no one ever said drawing on nationalist support was completely without drawbacks

they're just the easiest group to easily please and gain immediate and vocal support from

so if Dugin once again goes around calling Putin a wimp, like he did for 'losing' Ukraine before the Russian army moved in by surprise, what do you think will happen?

aRkpc.gif
    edited March 2014

eeehhhhh.

Going by Tycho's post on the front page, a 720p 3dHALF-SBS feed on the original devkit was enough to convince him he was underwater. I think there are lots of people out there who SAY you need the best and shiniest for reasons not connected to getting the job done.

five years from now everything on the PC will obviously blow away everything on consoles, including how nice a VR game can look. And we will be waltzing into a new console generation around then.

But as has been said countless times, you cannot make the mistake of looking at what the PS4 and XBO are capable of now, and extrapolate that to what it can do end of generation.

360 launch title:
    8mwr63x5lvik.jpg

360 towards the end of life:
    nwt8pdw35mc5.jpg

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.