As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memorial [Chat]

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    That 360 launch title is extremely misleading because it was literally just a port of an original Xbox title. Something like PD0 or Kameo is a better comparison.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    nationalists are gullible, easily manipulated morons basically

this is true

the question is who is pulling the strings: the central executive or senior members of nationalist organizations/media groups

i.e., if Putin really wanted to push Dugin aside, is he in a position to do so atm without suffering crippling loss of political capital

maybe not

no one ever said drawing on nationalist support was completely without drawbacks

they're just the easiest group to easily please and gain immediate and vocal support from

so if Dugin once again goes around calling Putin a wimp, like he did for 'losing' Ukraine before the Russian army moved in by surprise, what do you think will happen?

no idea, it's impossible to predict

the only way to know the winner of that fight would be to see it happen

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I just bought thief for 30 bucks.

Worst case scenario; I wasted 30 bucks.

But I'm hoping I can enjoy this one for at least long enough to get to the next "big thing"

When a $60 game released in February is $30 in March, this is a warning signal about the quality of the game.

Im not expecting perfect.

But Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is also 30 bucks this weekend on XBO, and that game was fucking great even at 60.

I think Thief is getting hated on as much as it is because it is a bad Thief game.

But for people who enjoy 1st person action/adventure stuff, its completely passable so long as you don't compare it to other titles in the series.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kameo had its 1000 on-screen orcs demo.

• Options
    Can't Dugin just be charged with some trumped up bullshit that he is probably actually guilty of?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Why do some posters get image link bars in their signatures when they post images?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    That 360 launch title is extremely misleading because it was literally just a port of an original Xbox title. Something like PD0 or Kameo is a better comparison.

doesn't really do the 360 launch any favors either, and in no way does it stack up to Gears of War's last entries, Halo 4, Call of Duty: ghosts, Grand Theft Auto, The Last of Us, etc. etc.

5hv7s5ss214q.jpg

Sometime in late 2014 early 2015 DX12 hits the xbox one, and one of the promised effects of this is squeezing some significant performance boosts out of the hardware. Developers with early access talked about it at the recent trade show, and said that in many ways it is like a new launch for the hardware regarding what they can do with it.

Same stuff happened as sony refined their PS3 dev kits... these consoles have nowhere to go but up, and developers will get creative with them over the years to come.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Why do some posters get image link bars in their signatures when they post images?
    because I am not linking the images.

Drag an image into the text box you type your post in.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    synd can you tell me more about this password app

do i just need to buy it once and it will work for any browser/os?

how safe should i feel giving all my worldly data to this one company

what are your recovery options, should whatever happen

• Options
    A lot of the extra pretty graphics came at the cost of other stuff like frame rate. I've heard GTAV is pretty bad when it comes to frame rate.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Actually, you typically see a second year rut of worse-than-the-first year games on new consoles. Like a lot of effort goes into making those launch titles technically spectacular, and then it goes away for a while until later in the console's life.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I just bought thief for 30 bucks.

Worst case scenario; I wasted 30 bucks.

But I'm hoping I can enjoy this one for at least long enough to get to the next "big thing"

When a $60 game released in February is $30 in March, this is a warning signal about the quality of the game.

Im not expecting perfect.

But Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is also 30 bucks this weekend on XBO, and that game was fucking great even at 60.

I think Thief is getting hated on as much as it is because it is a bad Thief game.

But for people who enjoy 1st person action/adventure stuff, its completely passable so long as you don't compare it to other titles in the series.

I didn't think much of the 360 version. Let me know if the XBONE version is fun.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    beep beep boop

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »

1password is a really stable, really reliable platform I have been using for longer than I have lived in new york. Never had any issues with it whatsoever.

You will need to buy it once per platform. So if you have iOS, you need to buy the iOS version. Mac, the mac version, windows, the windows version, etc. etc. But you can install multiple times per platform if you own, for instance, and iPad and an iPhone.

There are plugins for all the major browsers.

The only "whatevers" that could happen is:

1) You lose your password file due to not keeping a backup, or using a distributed file sharing system like dropbox / iCloud.
    2) You forget your 1password password.

If either of those happen, you are obv fucked. But since you are tasked with only having to remember one password ever again, forgetting it is unlikely... and the first option only happens if you are exceptionally reckless / careless.

The company doesn't get ANY of your data! It is stored locally in a highly encrypted file that is only breachable with your one password. This is a major step up from last pass, as they hold a centralized repository database with everyone's stuff in it.

HTH

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    vr is basically an inevitability

however console vr is going to be peasant tier, as either the fidelity or the fps is going to take a hard kick to the balls to fit onto that hardware

valve have been pitching figures of 90-95 fps per eye for immersion without some types of motion artefacting, and carmack agrees

in one sense it is perhaps understandable theyd push the top end as being essential given they are pc-centric, but it is significant that in 5 years or so it will be night on impossible to have the equivalent vr experience on a console. i will be very interested to see what people do with this beyond the obvious first person stuff, because i suspect a lot of what will get put onto the ps4/xbone will be ps3/360 games running at high fps and 1080p for vr. i would love to play bayoneta as a disembodied floating hed

eeehhhhh.

Going by Tycho's post on the front page, a 720p 3dHALF-SBS feed on the original devkit was enough to convince him he was underwater. I think there are lots of people out there who SAY you need the best and shiniest for reasons not connected to getting the job done.

five years from now everything on the PC will obviously blow away everything on consoles, including how nice a VR game can look. And we will be waltzing into a new console generation around then.

But as has been said countless times, you cannot make the mistake of looking at what the PS4 and XBO are capable of now, and extrapolate that to what it can do end of generation.
    [/img]

you can when you are dealing with issues of expecting 400% increased fps, even with current visual quality, and pushing that higher quality at a res neither of the two systems is entirely happy pushing (1080p) even at 30 with decent quality

not going to happen, especially when combined with the fact that consoles have traditionally narrowed fov to 60

the valve white paper has a good discussion on the effects of fps when you have a low persistence display:

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/abrashblog/Abrash Dev Days 2014.pdf

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    hmm

i feel like i said or did something i should be cleaning up last night

but i can't find it.

and i don't have to go work for a few hours so nap instead of worry? yes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    remember that oculus dev kit 1 didnt have a low persistence display, so some visual artefacts that are a result of that were not present

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

however console vr is going to be peasant tier, as either the fidelity or the fps is going to take a hard kick to the balls to fit onto that hardware

valve have been pitching figures of 90-95 fps per eye for immersion without some types of motion artefacting, and carmack agrees

in one sense it is perhaps understandable theyd push the top end as being essential given they are pc-centric, but it is significant that in 5 years or so it will be night on impossible to have the equivalent vr experience on a console. i will be very interested to see what people do with this beyond the obvious first person stuff, because i suspect a lot of what will get put onto the ps4/xbone will be ps3/360 games running at high fps and 1080p for vr. i would love to play bayoneta as a disembodied floating hed

eeehhhhh.

Going by Tycho's post on the front page, a 720p 3dHALF-SBS feed on the original devkit was enough to convince him he was underwater. I think there are lots of people out there who SAY you need the best and shiniest for reasons not connected to getting the job done.

five years from now everything on the PC will obviously blow away everything on consoles, including how nice a VR game can look. And we will be waltzing into a new console generation around then.

But as has been said countless times, you cannot make the mistake of looking at what the PS4 and XBO are capable of now, and extrapolate that to what it can do end of generation.
    [/img]

you can when you are dealing with issues of expecting 400% increased fps, even with current visual quality, and pushing that higher quality at a res neither of the two systems is entirely happy pushing (1080p) even at 30 with decent quality

not going to happen, especially when combined with the fact that consoles have traditionally narrowed fov to 60

the valve white paper has a good discussion on the effects of fps:

What I am saying is that the half-720p shitty dev boxes people have been playing with, that have NOT been pushing 90fps consistently, have been considered the future by almost everyone who has played with one.

Valve also built a multi-million dollar VR test chamber to show off a future nobody could possibly own at home.

I'm gonna wait for commercial product releases and real demos before I buy into the "only SLI'd titans have a chance of delivering this experience" when much lesser machines with shittier headsets have been making people very happy for a year now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The really interesting thing coming out of the Oculus is all the subtle effects which seem to crop up with VR displays. Some people have gotten really bad motion sickness, and then found a slightly widened FOV cures it entirely.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

1password is a really stable, really reliable platform I have been using for longer than I have lived in new york. Never had any issues with it whatsoever.

You will need to buy it once per platform. So if you have iOS, you need to buy the iOS version. Mac, the mac version, windows, the windows version, etc. etc. But you can install multiple times per platform if you own, for instance, and iPad and an iPhone.

There are plugins for all the major browsers.

The only "whatevers" that could happen is:

1) You lose your password file due to not keeping a backup, or using a distributed file sharing system like dropbox / iCloud.
    2) You forget your 1password password.

If either of those happen, you are obv fucked. But since you are tasked with only having to remember one password ever again, forgetting it is unlikely... and the first option only happens if you are exceptionally reckless / careless.

The company doesn't get ANY of your data! It is stored locally in a highly encrypted file that is only breachable with your one password. This is a major step up from last pass, as they hold a centralized repository database with everyone's stuff in it.

HTH

yes it's awesome

and the deal they are having now they have the mac and windows bundle combo so you'd have both

it's worth it i've been using it for the last 4 yrs

and yeah you give 0 data to the company

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    you can even store other random secure files in there too for reference

like i keep things like

copy of passport
    combos to locks
    product license info

etc

poo
  • Options
    I always turn up the FOV really high when I can. I think it looks cool.

• Options
    a
    Couscous wrote: »
    I always turn up the FOV really high when I can. I think it looks cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijrCPBC2Gg

• Options

eeehhhhh.

[/img]

What I am saying is that the half-720p shitty dev boxes people have been playing with, that have NOT been pushing 90fps consistently, have been considered the future by almost everyone who has played with one.

Valve also built a multi-million dollar VR test chamber to show off a future nobody could possibly own at home.

I'm gonna wait for commercial product releases and real demos before I buy into the "only SLI'd titans have a chance of delivering this experience" when much lesser machines with shittier headsets have been making people very happy for a year now.

compare results of dk1 to dk2

people were happy with dk1 because it was their first experience, but there were huge problems with it, especially when considering what % of the audience couldnt use it happily due to various forms of screen-induced motion sickness. consider complaints of screen-dooring. the difference is night and day, and when you are counting pixels per arc of visual field shit gets gnarly unless you push the numbers up. it is certainly true that valve are pushing the higher fidelity version partly because they are the most pc centric vendor, but everything i have seen indicates that this is a case of huge and actual fidelity gains, unlike the pushing of 2x versus 8x aa etc.

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The really interesting thing coming out of the Oculus is all the subtle effects which seem to crop up with VR displays. Some people have gotten really bad motion sickness, and then found a slightly widened FOV cures it entirely.

the low persistence/flickering one was pretty interesting to me too

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    talking about russia from a position of ignorance makes me feel icky. hm.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    LOL.

I get here at 8:30 am sharp.

Lecturer ain't here.

I braved the snow for naught!

Oh, wait, he just came in!

Disaster averted!

• Options

eeehhhhh.

[/img]

people were happy with dk1 because it was their first experience, but there were huge problems with it, especially when considering what % of the audience couldnt use it happily due to various forms of screen-induced motion sickness. consider complaints of screen-dooring. the difference is night and day, and when you are counting pixels per arc of visual field shit gets gnarly unless you push the numbers up. it is certainly true that valve are pushing the higher fidelity version partly because they are the most pc centric vendor, but everything i have seen indicates that this is a case of huge and actual fidelity gains, unlike the pushing of 2x versus 8x aa etc.

I am honestly thinking 720p upscaled to 1080p via hardware scaler into a low persistence display is going to be good enough to get the job done (note that these devices are not rendering two 720p or 1080p screens, but rather 1 720p/1080p screen that is running in 3DHalf-SBS format, with lots of empty space which is a huge boon to the pixel shaders), such that while PC owners will get the better overall experience, console users will get a very similar one for a fraction of the overall cost or setup frustration.

Unless the morpheus costs 1000 bucks and only 3 games come out for it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    wait even on sale it's 25 dollars per platform

that runs a bit rich for chu's blood

*withdraws quietly*

• Options
    o it's 35 dollars for the bundle

hmmm

still p expensive

idk

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Chu don't you dare scoff at little dragon

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    someone enlighten me

are the VR headsets we are envisioning still fundamentally just monitors for a connected wired/wireless console/PC

or are they bundling graphics/etc hardware onboard

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Chu don't you dare scoff at little dragon

never heard of them

but i am not very much of a music snob i just ofund some of those genre names funny

• Options
    o it's 35 dollars for the bundle

hmmm

still p expensive

idk

this software will last you for 4+ years, if you have the discipline to use it.

And you will use it every single day for those four years.

And should one site get hacked, you aren't systematically destroyed because you used to same weak password on your email account or social network or something that lets them social engineer-hack everything else.

It's pretty great.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

eeehhhhh.

[/img]

I am honestly thinking 720p upscaled to 1080p via hardware scaler into a low persistence display is going to be good enough to get the job done (note that these devices are not rendering two 720p or 1080p screens, but rather 1 720p/1080p screen that is running in 3DHalf-SBS format, with lots of empty space which is a huge boon to the pixel shaders), such that while PC owners will get the better overall experience, console users will get a very similar one for a fraction of the overall cost or setup frustration.

Unless the morpheus costs 1000 bucks and only 3 games come out for it.

my suspicion is that what they will probably do is have vr specific games that have much lower baseline requirements

stuff like normal mapping doesnt work in vr anyway, so i imagine they will go hardcore basic geometric and sell a lot of the games that way - provide a high fidelity experience that is not trying to be as "realistic"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    someone enlighten me

are the VR headsets we are envisioning still fundamentally just monitors for a connected wired/wireless console/PC

new VR headsets are:

1) a very fast, low persistence single display that is displaying two strangely warped images side by side, that are shown to the end user through two glass lenses that create a very natural single 3D image to the end user.

2) positional tracking hardware that maps subtle head movements to the computer.

These things together are then fed the imagery from a computer / console that has the actual rendering hardware.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    someone enlighten me

basically really high fps low latency/persistence phone screens stapled to your face in front of a huge contraption of lenses with a bunch of adjustements for interpupillary distance and shit

pretty swagular

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    someone enlighten me

I think the devices track how your head moves, too. You can't get that experience from strapping two little monitors over your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMT98U_iilY

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ok so i pay them 35 dollars and then on safari (on my mac) and on chrome (on my pc) i have a plugin. i create a master password that is hard to guess but that i can remember, and then from now on whenever i'm prompted to create a password i hit a button or whatever and 1password invents one and stores it. how is the file with all this stuf maintained? i keep it on my dropbox or w-e and point the application at it?

how is this different from say keychain

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Got coffee at DD.

Forgot to say HALF sugar.

OMG. Who likes things this sweet?

What the butt.

This discussion has been closed.