As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memorial [Chat]

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Someone had their car stolen at work. They live in an area where they feel it's safe to never lock their doors.

I've lived in areas like that, you always lock your doors. Those are like... the biggest places to get screwed over.

They literally walked into the house, took the lady's purse, walked over and took her keys, then stole her car.

All that damage and frustration for what is 1 second of your time. I am baffled. Makes me rebuff why I always lock my door even though my neighborhood is less safe. Mother-in-law always hates it because they go outside for like a half hour to go to the store and I'll come downstairs to see the door unlocked, and lock it, then they come back. Look there's a key right there to my car, you don't do that shit. Take the house key with you and lock the damned door.

I grew up in an area where it is normal to have four-five separate locks from house to street, and only learnt that this was considered really extreme whilst eavesdropping on an international flight to expats complaining about it

I wish I didn't have to unlock my door to talk to people panhandling so it's easier to just shut the door and say "no thanks, I don't have the time."

Like I seriously get pestered every 3 months to deal with some shady looking dudes coming around wanting to look at my electric bill. Sorry it's all digital now.

"Well how about you print one off"

"No I don't have a printer."

"Well I can come in and take a look"

"No thanks. Don't come back"

Yet they still come back. I can't wait to get out of apartment living so these fucks don't bug me anymore.

Pro-tip:
    Even in a house these people show up all the fucking time.

It's less likely though. They just canvas the apartment complex here from what I can tell. They don't go to the townhouses and houses up the road.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh god I just noticed the "other persistant weirdos" line.

I...

Uh...

Hmmm...

*weeps to self in the corner*

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Oh cool! My Teenage poem actually scored awesomes. Last I saw it had 1 'raven' and I was so sad I listened to MCR on repeat and cut myself.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Those apps sure sound like a great way to wind up in a bathtub full of ice short one kidney.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i watched aziz' bit about how grindr won't work for straight people

it is a weird cultural artifact- i wonder how much of it is like, the consideration of danger

like surely many gay dudes have worries about this since they are also fucking dudes who might be jerks

but i feel like if grindr would be very successful for gay dudes and moderately successful for gay ladies (or maybe equally successful? i might be projectiong promiscuity on gay dude culture which might not be true anymore- i just watched philadelphia a lot. i love denzel. sniff.)... it would still be a weird, underserving thing for straights

there is probably a more complete explanation than fear of rape, tho i am not sure how to formulate it

Nature or nurture, most chicks I know are just less dtf than dudes.

Also: gay dude culture is still hyper-promiscuous relative to the population at large, I'd imagine.

Again, that's not to say it's our SPECIAL HOMOBRO ESSENCE that explains it, just that... like, grindr.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    basically i am of the opinion that feelings are dumb

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Unless that's your kink or whatever...

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Someone had their car stolen at work. They live in an area where they feel it's safe to never lock their doors.

I've lived in areas like that, you always lock your doors. Those are like... the biggest places to get screwed over.

They literally walked into the house, took the lady's purse, walked over and took her keys, then stole her car.

All that damage and frustration for what is 1 second of your time. I am baffled. Makes me rebuff why I always lock my door even though my neighborhood is less safe. Mother-in-law always hates it because they go outside for like a half hour to go to the store and I'll come downstairs to see the door unlocked, and lock it, then they come back. Look there's a key right there to my car, you don't do that shit. Take the house key with you and lock the damned door.

I grew up in an area where it is normal to have four-five separate locks from house to street, and only learnt that this was considered really extreme whilst eavesdropping on an international flight to expats complaining about it

I wish I didn't have to unlock my door to talk to people panhandling so it's easier to just shut the door and say "no thanks, I don't have the time."

Like I seriously get pestered every 3 months to deal with some shady looking dudes coming around wanting to look at my electric bill. Sorry it's all digital now.

Yet they still come back. I can't wait to get out of apartment living so these fucks don't bug me anymore.

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl

when I (briefly) worked canvassing we hit the houses just as much dogg

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Pro-tip:
    Even in a house these people show up all the fucking time.

It's less likely though. They just canvas the apartment complex here from what I can tell. They don't go to the townhouses and houses up the road.

They came to our townhouse once. I was not aware that it was a thing. Dude tried to get in the house. I very firmly NOPE'd that idea.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014
    while we're asking questions

will, i'm pretty sure i've asked this before

but what the christ is your avatar

one time a dude named noom did a comic in which he made superheroes out of forum people. i had my dog as my avatar before, so i was "the iron retriever".

ironret.gif

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Oh cool! My Teenage poem actually scored awesomes. Last I saw it had 1 'raven' and I was so sad I listened to MCR on repeat and cut myself.

haha self harm! Hilarious!

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    it's a belt device not a dong

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Locking doors seems reasonable. I don't think I lived in a house where we locked doors regularly till 18. Surprisingly hard habit to get into. I still leave doors or windows unlocked quite often without meaning too.

Some guy actually stole my laptop through a partially shut but locked window accessible from an enclosed garden in the middle of the day. So, London eh.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uFivgRhNqm0#t=53

@Organichu this addresses all your concerns about this

EDIT: Urgh, time stuff doesn't work. 0:50 anyway.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

a friend of mine has a brother who is superhuman - good-looking, former boxer, phd in international development doing post-doc work in south america, can grow a perfect beard in two weeks - and he is naturally married to a beautiful woman and raising her two children from a previous relationship and moulding them into superhumans

the 9 year old daughter wrote a dark, cynical poem that can be read backwards to be optimistic

it was really good and made me uncomfortable

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    The 9/11 Spidey comic was quite good... until that exact moment Simon posted.

Also: Weekend!

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

we can make light of a lot of things around here, but the fat, irish and angsty teens are strictly off limits

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

a friend of mine has a brother who is superhuman - good-looking, former boxer, phd in international development doing post-doc work in south america, can grow a perfect beard in two weeks - and he is naturally married to a beautiful woman and raising her two children from a previous relationship and moulding them into superhumans

the 9 year old daughter wrote a dark, cynical poem that can be read backwards to be optimistic

I'll just see myself out of the gene pool now

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Huh. How does that scam work?

Utility bills can be used as proof of residence.

So they can use it for some id theft stuff.

ahhhh. Okay, I see.

The way the scam works here is basically there are third-party energy companies who buy gas at a low rate and stockpile it and tell you they can save you money by fixing you at a low rate instead of having to pay based on the changing gas rates the major utility companies have

They ask to see your gas bill to find out whether you're with them already or not, and if you aren't, they try super hard to sell you on their rates and it almost never works out to save money for the dude getting scammed

So while it's technically within the realm of possibility you'll save money by switching to them it's very unlikely, and it's basically just legit enough to not be a scam while still being shitty

I only got training for a day to learn this shit, the actual canvassing I did was collecting donations for charity and while it was on the up-and-up, it's deffo not fun for either side

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    nice, uh, bone

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

we can make light of a lot of things around here, but the fat, irish and angsty teens are strictly off limits

Associating self-harm with being an 'angsty teen' is what is being objected to

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mrmister I think a large portion of girls not being dtf is nature. Because I swear I have seen a paper suggesting that women are dtf at much greater rates if they expect an orgasm.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    the thing with oral anything hiv related si that there isn't clear data, i think

like they acknowledge it's a low risk activity but don't know exact percentages

in other news, there was a rare female to female transmission of hiv

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Someone on another forum did this one for me.

dogstatue.jpg

Any relation, I wonder?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The implication being that it is a calculated decision assuming most men suck at it >.>

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Wait I think I read that exact poem posted to Facebook and it said "you'll be amazed at what this kids 13 year old brother wrote" or something

Did people steal it or did you friends brother just lie

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    clear alcohol is for rich women on diets

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Loaded up SWTOR and played for a bit.

Finished up the training area and headed for the Imperial Fleet.

Got bombarded with a ton of quests boiling down to "Run over here and talk to this guy!"

Yeah that's outta my system now.

• Options
    nice, uh, bone

it's a belt buckle!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    he's also literally the only person who can beat me consistently at boggle that i've ever met

i'm not going to lie, that bothered me more than anything else

no one else will ever play boggle with me so we sat in my friend's living room playing boggle for like two and a half hours

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Huh. How does that scam work?

Utility bills can be used as proof of residence.

So they can use it for some id theft stuff.

ahhhh. Okay, I see.

The way the scam works here is basically there are third-party energy companies who buy gas at a low rate and stockpile it and tell you they can save you money by fixing you at a low rate instead of having to pay based on the changing gas rates the major utility companies have

They ask to see your gas bill to find out whether you're with them already or not, and if you aren't, they try super hard to sell you on their rates and it almost never works out to save money for the dude getting scammed

So while it's technically within the realm of possibility you'll save money by switching to them it's very unlikely, and it's basically just legit enough to not be a scam while still being shitty

I only got training for a day to learn this shit, the actual canvassing I did was collecting donations for charity and while it was on the up-and-up, it's deffo not fun for either side

Did they train you on how to avoid the cauldrons of boiling oil I may or may not keep on my parapet?

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Now apartment doors in Moscow, those things are armoured. Steel framed and lined with 5 or so chambers. No amateurs allowed. Bring your best drill and shaped charges

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

Uh huh, yeah, that is exactly what I meant. Thanks for the succinct summary.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Mrmister I think a large portion of girls not being dtf is nature. Because I swear I have seen a paper suggesting that women are dtf at much greater rates if they expect an orgasm.

And not afraid of getting body-bagged, and not afraid of people finding out, and etc. Again, no appeal to special homobro essence. As a merely statistical fact, my impression is that gay dudes have, like, astronomically more partners than the general population. I remember some show where people were like having to say how many hands it would take for them to count out how many partners they'd had, and it was like one or two for all of them and I was just like man I stopped counting and couldn't remember every random bj I gave in an alleyway or whatever even if I tried.

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Wait I think I read that exact poem posted to Facebook and it said "you'll be amazed at what this kids 13 year old brother wrote" or something

Did people steal it or did you friends brother just lie

it's a common poetic form or poetic exercise, especially for kids in grade school or high school learning about poetic structure

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    he's also literally the only person who can beat me consistently at boggle that i've ever met

i'm not going to lie, that bothered me more than anything else

no one else will ever play boggle with me so we sat in my friend's living room playing boggle for like two and a half hours

i love boggle and i will beat you at it

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Are there any good books by Mormons on doctrinal changes and controversies in the Mormon church?

So far the apologetics for the Book of Abraham is really crappy. It has that thing in common with much apologetics involving archaeology in that the apologist is more concerned with making the religious tradition feasible rather than actually showing the religious tradition to be the most likely. Once feasibility is established no matter how remote, the apologist can then just say that he or she knows it is correct because it is in whatever holy writings the apologist believes in.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    clear alcohol is for rich women on diets

Gin be all like whaaaaaaa you say?

• Options

They're pretty easy to make if you recognize the pattern.

http://poets.spice.org.hk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=6&Itemid=7

Achievement Unlocked: Knocked a 9 year old girl down a peg

This discussion has been closed.