As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Fractions

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I think it's kind of telling that if someone here had made a joke in similar taste about someone being trans, they would have had shit hurled at them but jokes about mental illness are a-ok.

Don't worry guys, you sure as progressive and tolerant as you think you are.

a lot of people get teased on here, dude. the "anguished artist" is a pretty well-worn trope. try not to take yourself so seriously. don't you do standup?

The original joke wasn't aimed at me, and you thinking that it would need to be for me to be offended by it is weird.

"Get a thicker skin" isn't the answer to everything.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I came in here assuming to find a list of people that had been infracted in the last chat

i was disappointed.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Oh gods. Ex came by to pick some random stuff up last night.

Wanted to bang.

Like real bad.

I was like PLS NO. AREN'T YOU SEEING SOMEONE?

Flattering for.... obvious reasons but...

Like... c'mon....

I didn't mean you were a persistent weirdo.

Rather Lorc was. And that it was surprising and made Lorc all the weirder had he maintained a compelling and consistent personality such as yourself.

Are you really TTOdewback's daughter?

NICE SAVE!

And quality post to quote when saying I'm compelling haha.

Dewback gave birth to this name. And declared me his daughter. And here we are!

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    sup bros

919UOwT.png
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I came in here assuming to find a list of people that had been infracted in the last chat

i was disappointed.

for a terrible moment i thought our [chat] privileges had been revoked

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    @Bogart that chart goes about things the wrong way.

:whistle:

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I think it's kind of telling that if someone here had made a joke in similar taste about someone being trans, they would have had shit hurled at them but jokes about mental illness are a-ok.

wait what joke is this
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Oh cool! My Teenage poem actually scored awesomes. Last I saw it had 1 'raven' and I was so sad I listened to MCR on repeat and cut myself.

if anything it was offensive because it was too easy

just like your MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    sup bros
    7 more hours until the weekend. Pahhhhhhhhtyyyyyyyyy!

....I'm babysitting 3 elementary school aged kids overnight tonight.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    sup bros
    Sup brah.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Apo, did you see my comment yesterday about translation of French philosophers?

i have been comparing some translations to original French and I feel like academics doing translation is... injecting a surprising level of obscurantism
    I did not.

But then I also recall Sokal and Bricmont's Fashionable Nonsense which made no such observations on the subject.

So I am surprised.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    @ronya‌

here is a sample of the noom comic:

retrieved.gif

and the whole thread if you're interested:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/11724/d-d-mspaint-adventures-rules-p1/p1

the art does look pretty similar

Wqdwp8l.png
    Cinders wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    My body has the illusion of curves when it is underneath my blanket.

This pleases me.

:winky:

is that right?

is this a :winky: situation?

Not really?

fak

i just want more excuses to use :winky:

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    theres also probably a discussion to be had about things that are objectively undesireable vs things that arent wrt topics for mockery

sig.gif
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Evil Multifarious,‌ i thrive on time based/speed based games and things like word permutations are my jam

have you played many of... what's his name... Vlaada Chivatl's games?

Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, etc.?

because they sound up your alley

if u have an iOS device, word mage is a pretty neat little boggle-based rpg fusion thing

fill bars and level up as you boggle!

i don't have an iOS device, much to my boardgaming dismay

but filling bars is against everything i stand for anyways, will

God damn teetotalers.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

pretty much everyone in here has a mental illness of some description

whereas only like 4 people are trans

you can make jokes about groups you're a part of but doing it about other peoples is 'cism

Not me, I am just a jerk.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Evil Multifarious‌ I find the field of translation fascinating for a lot of reasons. If you're reading a translation of a poem, for example, the chances of that person speaking the language with anything that would be called fluency is very, very slim. In fact, the worst translations are often done by people who have a deep understanding of the language, but no understanding of literature.

I'm not sure if this is the same for philosophy texts, but, having a passing familiarity with some , I imagine it helps tremendously to know just as much about literature as it does the language.

I've got mental illness.

In the rap sense.

My mental is ill. Yo.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

[Chat] might be more focused on trans issues than any other thing ever. Depression/mental illness is probably the third biggest obsession after unemployment. tbh its pretty doctrinaire, its just the ideology is (unevenly) tolerant and overall much more enlightened than most dogmas. Issue threads tend to be better. Chat is usually better when the topic is either not ideological or visited infrequently enough that there aren't "established acceptable positions." Jokes about genitals and gentrification are what chat is for IMO.

Why everything gotta revolve around white dick?

steam_sig.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    @ronya‌

here is a sample of the noom comic:

retrieved.gif

and the whole thread if you're interested:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/11724/d-d-mspaint-adventures-rules-p1/p1

the art does look pretty similar

hmm. that is definitely far more sophisticated

mine dates to 2003-2004 thereabouts though.

ah well, Internet Mystery.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

This pleases me.

is that right?

Not really?

fak

Um.

I love the feel of my boobs? They are so boob-like and fit ever so nicely into my hands?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Borges said, in regards to translations of his work, "Translate what I want to say, not what I'm saying," which I think is pretty good advice. I remember reading about John Ashbery getting contacted about the difficulty of translating his work into French. He was often being told that there was no possible way to express what he was trying to say to which he replied, Those are often the things I'm most interested in saying."

A 49-year-old unidentified man went berserk last night, opening fire with a 12-gauge shotgun in a crowded downtown restaurant... Fighting broke out overnight between rival factions along the Israeli-Syrian border. Initial reports claim the Israeli fighters bombed a guerrilla base.

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I can translate any poem you want and I guarantee a loss of all deeper meaning.

This pleases me.

is that right?

Not really?

fak

Um.

I love the feel of my boobs? They are so boob-like and fit ever so nicely into my hands?

yessssssss

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Listen, I don't want my children's dicks exposed to street crime, littering and strip malls full of bail bondsmen, pay day lenders, pawn shops and liquor stores, OK? Is that so wrong?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Like bags of sand.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I think my ipad is 75% an agricola machine

PantsB wrote: »

Listen, I don't want my children's dicks exposed to street crime, littering and strip malls full of bail bondsmen, pay day lenders, pawn shops and liquor stores, OK? Is that so wrong?

http://media.giphy.com/media/HTd4t5YhpGxsk/giphy.gif

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

a lot of people get teased on here, dude. the "anguished artist" is a pretty well-worn trope. try not to take yourself so seriously. don't you do standup?

The original joke wasn't aimed at me, and you thinking that it would need to be for me to be offended by it is weird.

"Get a thicker skin" isn't the answer to everything.

look dude i guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

i don't regard allusions to the "angsty teen writing poetry in her livejournal and listening to emo music and cutting" as beyond the limits of what passes for decency around here

Wqdwp8l.png
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Oh gods. Ex came by to pick some random stuff up last night.

Wanted to bang.

Like real bad.

I was like PLS NO. AREN'T YOU SEEING SOMEONE?

Flattering for.... obvious reasons but...

Like... c'mon....

I didn't mean you were a persistent weirdo.

Rather Lorc was. And that it was surprising and made Lorc all the weirder had he maintained a compelling and consistent personality such as yourself.

Are you really TTOdewback's daughter?

NICE SAVE!

And quality post to quote when saying I'm compelling haha.

Dewback gave birth to this name. And declared me his daughter. And here we are!

What I can, I do.

Evil Multifarious,‌ i thrive on time based/speed based games and things like word permutations are my jam

if u have an iOS device, word mage is a pretty neat little boggle-based rpg fusion thing

that sounds like level 1 thinking

Wqdwp8l.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Amazing.

BjmrHyFIAAE09x5.jpg
    Should finish with "I'm tired and I want to go to bed."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

pretty much everyone in here has a mental illness of some description

whereas only like 4 people are trans

you can make jokes about groups you're a part of but doing it about other peoples is 'cism

I was just using it as an example. I'm well aware of "punching up" and the different contexts around what it's ok to joke about with your friends, I just don't feel like mocking people who self harm is covered by that in this context

gonna have to agree with will on this one

we are not decent people

the comments are the most interesting part

aRkpc.gif
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

wait what joke is this
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Oh cool! My Teenage poem actually scored awesomes. Last I saw it had 1 'raven' and I was so sad I listened to MCR on repeat and cut myself.

if anything it was offensive because it was too easy

just like your MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

oh-snap-o.gif

919UOwT.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I was just using it as an example. I'm well aware of "punching up" and the different contexts around what it's ok to joke about with your friends, I just don't feel like mocking people who self harm is covered by that in this context

not people
    teenagers

Deebaser on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

that sounds like level 1 thinking

haha have you seen the meowmeow beenz episode of community

I was going to post an update about the kitten we found and post a picture but my battery died and so I won't until later.

This is probably ALSO Elki's fault.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    this client gets so confused about numbers and things
    she's in market research but all these analytics we do tend to confuse her
    and she really likes to latch onto demographics and racial things and cultural trends and sidetracks meetings with these random tidbits she read in the news i guess

i looked up her linkedin tho i guess her background is a PhD in American Cultural History at Brown

lol
    so that explains that

now she is working at market research at a financial services company *shrug*

poo
This discussion has been closed.