As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Fractions

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I think it's kind of telling that if someone here had made a joke in similar taste about someone being trans, they would have had shit hurled at them but jokes about mental illness are a-ok.

Don't worry guys, you sure as progressive and tolerant as you think you are.

a lot of people get teased on here, dude. the "anguished artist" is a pretty well-worn trope. try not to take yourself so seriously. don't you do standup?

The original joke wasn't aimed at me, and you thinking that it would need to be for me to be offended by it is weird.

"Get a thicker skin" isn't the answer to everything.

look dude i guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

i don't regard allusions to the "angsty teen writing poetry in her livejournal and listening to emo music and cutting" as beyond the limits of what passes for decency around here

That's fine, don't get accusatory when someone does though.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Apo, did you see my comment yesterday about translation of French philosophers?

i have been comparing some translations to original French and I feel like academics doing translation is... injecting a surprising level of obscurantism
    I did not.

But then I also recall Sokal and Bricmont's Fashionable Nonsense which made no such observations on the subject.

So I am surprised.

i've been doing translation from French for a while now and I'm seeing a lot of warning signs in the English texts I've read, the kind of stuff you see when a translator is facing something complicated and difficult and convoluted and isn't quite sure a) if it makes sense, or b) if they properly understand it.

i don't think it excuses point-blank wackiness like "feminine fluid physics," but (for example) "topologie" is a much broader figurative word in French than in English. that doesn't mean the topology thing isn't a language game, but it's a game that makes a lot more sense in French than in English.

it goes right down to sentence structure, too, in that French often has longer and more complex sentences that can comfortably self-refer due to different syntactical functions (masculine vs feminine, more discrete verb conjugations, more discrete relationships between modifiers and modified nouns) which makes them easier to read and immediately understand on a structural level

this produces some pretty shameful sentences in English unfortunately, if the translation sticks close to the source

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Evil Multifarious,‌ i thrive on time based/speed based games and things like word permutations are my jam

have you played many of... what's his name... Vlaada Chivatl's games?

Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, etc.?

because they sound up your alley

if u have an iOS device, word mage is a pretty neat little boggle-based rpg fusion thing

fill bars and level up as you boggle!

i don't have an iOS device, much to my boardgaming dismay

but filling bars is against everything i stand for anyways, will

that sounds like level 1 thinking

haha have you seen the meowmeow beenz episode of community

yeah it was p funny

apparently the community thread hated it because the community thread hates everything

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Tav if you're looking to have an a discussion about it maybe don't come out of the gate sarcastic and angry

if you're not looking to have a discussion and just want to lash out that is a more grievous breach of decency than the joke was

sig.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I was just using it as an example. I'm well aware of "punching up" and the different contexts around what it's ok to joke about with your friends, I just don't feel like mocking people who self harm is covered by that in this context

not people
    teenagers

That's great. I hope you remember this post when you're a father.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my tummy is making the rumblies

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    maybe you people should just shut up and stop being so mentally ill

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    have you tried not being depressed

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    my tummy is making the rumblies

What out for the goo that jets out of your bumblies.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

i have been comparing some translations to original French and I feel like academics doing translation is... injecting a surprising level of obscurantism
    I did not.

But then I also recall Sokal and Bricmont's Fashionable Nonsense which made no such observations on the subject.

So I am surprised.

i've been doing translation from French for a while now and I'm seeing a lot of warning signs in the English texts I've read, the kind of stuff you see when a translator is facing something complicated and difficult and convoluted and isn't quite sure a) if it makes sense, or b) if they properly understand it.

i don't think it excuses point-blank wackiness like "feminine fluid physics," but (for example) "topologie" is a much broader figurative word in French than in English. that doesn't mean the topology thing isn't a language game, but it's a game that makes a lot more sense in French than in English.

it goes right down to sentence structure, too, in that French often has longer and more complex sentences that can comfortably self-refer due to different syntactical functions (masculine vs feminine, more discrete verb conjugations, more discrete relationships between modifiers and modified nouns) which makes them easier to read and immediately understand on a structural level

this produces some pretty shameful sentences in English unfortunately, if the translation sticks close to the source

Interesting.

I would care to see some examples if you feel so inclined.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I was just using it as an example. I'm well aware of "punching up" and the different contexts around what it's ok to joke about with your friends, I just don't feel like mocking people who self harm is covered by that in this context

not people
    teenagers

lighten up, dude

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Gooey wrote: »

yeah i don't even know why people choose mentally ill as a career path

it's like hello

guidance counselors?

• Options
    I think I'm going to die before lunch

need food badly

• Options
    Why's everyone so angry? I'm supposed to be the angry one

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I did not.

So I am surprised.

Interesting.

I would care to see some examples if you feel so inclined.

just on the sidelines of this conversation but yes me too translations is my jam

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Motion for chill ass good vibes chat.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

it's like hello

guidance counselors?

yeah its like

just go get a job like a normal person you freak

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Should try being mentally chill instead.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

I did not.

So I am surprised.

if you have ever read early nabokov or umberto eco, it's an enormous amount of pan-lingual wordplay. like nabokov would write in russian but make some dude's name a backwards pun in german or something. eco does the same sort of thing in italian but doing, like, these elaborate greek/ german wordplays and such.

translators HATE him

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, why are all Card Battle Games hard to get or on the wrong platforms?
    I'm working on my PC-situation, but I don't even want an "Androidphone", whatever that it. Maybe I should try Baten Kaitos, even though it's not quite what I'm looking for. At this pace I'll end up taking Monster Monpiece seriously.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    apparently the community thread hated it because the community thread hates everything

Each fan kills the thing he loves.

• Options
    I am chill

I think it may be because my natural state is hung over, and since I am hung over, then my body and soul are at peace

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

chili palmer

it's chili outside

and it's chili inside

get it?

sig.gif
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

Why don't depressed people just try being happy for a change?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I heard we were twisting knickers and came as quickly as I could

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Seriously, this is a simple equilibrium we got here. Don't go messin' it up, people.

• Options

it's like hello

guidance counselors?

you needed the 10 points to put into jrpg skills

natch

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    guys i made a post at 10:42 am and it is not there

but it's in my post history

EXPLAIN

poo
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Oh, Baten Kaitos is also harder to get than I thought, because of regionlock.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I just got fed up looking for a font and made my own damn font. Took way longer than it had any right to.

Resisting urge to kern it.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

not people
    teenagers

On the one hand this seems fairly mean spirited. And so interacts strangely with your call for consideration.

On the other hand, I am imaging this is what your stand up is like, and think you'd probably kill as a bitter angry Irishman.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

EXPLAIN

Poltergeists.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »

Seriously, this is a simple equilibrium we got here. Don't go messin' it up, people.

Some sort of infraction Jesus or some shit

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

EXPLAIN

Aliens

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I'm fairly sure I have some sort of mental illness that just hasn't been diagnosed yet.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    this chat is not nearly as enthralled with frog fractions as i am

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    ‌ I find the field of translation fascinating for a lot of reasons. If you're reading a translation of a poem, for example, the chances of that person speaking the language with anything that would be called fluency is very, very slim. In fact, the worst translations are often done by people who have a deep understanding of the language, but no understanding of literature.

I'm not sure if this is the same for philosophy texts, but, having a passing familiarity with some , I imagine it helps tremendously to know just as much about literature as it does the language.

you definitely need to understand the art form when you're doing literary translation (which I don't do, because I've never had the chance and it pays very poorly), because you can easily look up the functional linguistic aspects but it's much harder to look up or even recognize literary techniques

but the kind of philosophy they're translating - in French, it's already on the edge of making sense at all. a lot of these guys are basically writing a weird kind of poetry because they don't feel their point can be best made (or made at all) with direct, clear language. since they're often discussing the inherent properties and failures of thought and language.

so i feel like it's really easy to lose the effect they're trying to achieve when translating, and a given passage might have meaning only because of a particular connotation of a particular word, as it would in poetry - and if that connotation is disrupted or lost in translation, the passage will be gutted.

i mean i'm sure a lot of the translators are hardcore academic translators who grapple with this problem all their life, as a career, and a lot of them are fluently bilingual or trilingual and study philosophy in various languages

but it seems like a near-impossible task in some cases

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Everyone be happy you assholes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGPjc7C5BAs&feature=kp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAV0XrbEwNc

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @spool32 @Eddy‌

1 bottle of wine
    + 5:45am wake up

• Options

if you want to be real mad, go back a few pages to see the picture that cass drew

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.