As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Fractions

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Why would you need to translate it into French? Re-type everything in English, but in caps, so it's like talking loudly at them. That's how to speak to the French.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly sure I have some sort of mental illness that just hasn't been diagnosed yet.

I know a few words you can use temporarily.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    ...but when they entered, they did not find the body of Infraction Jesus...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Apo, did you see my comment yesterday about translation of French philosophers?

i have been comparing some translations to original French and I feel like academics doing translation is... injecting a surprising level of obscurantism
    I did not.

But then I also recall Sokal and Bricmont's Fashionable Nonsense which made no such observations on the subject.

So I am surprised.

i've been doing translation from French for a while now and I'm seeing a lot of warning signs in the English texts I've read, the kind of stuff you see when a translator is facing something complicated and difficult and convoluted and isn't quite sure a) if it makes sense, or b) if they properly understand it.

i don't think it excuses point-blank wackiness like "feminine fluid physics," but (for example) "topologie" is a much broader figurative word in French than in English. that doesn't mean the topology thing isn't a language game, but it's a game that makes a lot more sense in French than in English.

it goes right down to sentence structure, too, in that French often has longer and more complex sentences that can comfortably self-refer due to different syntactical functions (masculine vs feminine, more discrete verb conjugations, more discrete relationships between modifiers and modified nouns) which makes them easier to read and immediately understand on a structural level

this produces some pretty shameful sentences in English unfortunately, if the translation sticks close to the source

if you have ever read early nabokov or umberto eco, it's an enormous amount of pan-lingual wordplay. like nabokov would write in russian but make some dude's name a backwards pun in german or something. eco does the same sort of thing in italian but doing, like, these elaborate greek/ german wordplays and such.

translators HATE him

Local mum creates literature with this one "weird" literary device.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    guys i made a post at 10:42 am and it is not there

but it's in my post history

EXPLAIN

any post you make with the word "buttz" gets autofiltered

sorry shaz we had to cut down the volume somehow. we only have so much bandwidth

Wqdwp8l.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Why's everyone so angry? I'm supposed to be the angry one

if you want to be real mad, go back a few pages to see the picture that cass drew

Can't a black guy and a green guy be friends?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I just got fed up looking for a font and made my own damn font. Took way longer than it had any right to.

Resisting urge to kern it.

In what project did you use this don't then Wanky?

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    guys i made a post at 10:42 am and it is not there

but it's in my post history

EXPLAIN

Aliens

(real answer: vanilla periodically loses posts like this, it's a known and old bug)

aRkpc.gif
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    it has something to do with being botp/totp'ed, probably.

aRkpc.gif
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

if you want to be real mad, go back a few pages to see the picture that cass drew

on top of everything else, word on the street is that the steak is only cooked to medium rare

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Apo, did you see my comment yesterday about translation of French philosophers?

i have been comparing some translations to original French and I feel like academics doing translation is... injecting a surprising level of obscurantism
    I did not.

But then I also recall Sokal and Bricmont's Fashionable Nonsense which made no such observations on the subject.

So I am surprised.

i've been doing translation from French for a while now and I'm seeing a lot of warning signs in the English texts I've read, the kind of stuff you see when a translator is facing something complicated and difficult and convoluted and isn't quite sure a) if it makes sense, or b) if they properly understand it.

i don't think it excuses point-blank wackiness like "feminine fluid physics," but (for example) "topologie" is a much broader figurative word in French than in English. that doesn't mean the topology thing isn't a language game, but it's a game that makes a lot more sense in French than in English.

it goes right down to sentence structure, too, in that French often has longer and more complex sentences that can comfortably self-refer due to different syntactical functions (masculine vs feminine, more discrete verb conjugations, more discrete relationships between modifiers and modified nouns) which makes them easier to read and immediately understand on a structural level

this produces some pretty shameful sentences in English unfortunately, if the translation sticks close to the source

Interesting.

I would care to see some examples if you feel so inclined.

I'm going to try to find some good ones! and also look up some critiques of the translations, if I can find them.

i don't think it's going to magically make anyone see continental philosophy as a crystal clear legitimate branch of thought, though, if they are not a fan

but when I looked up some Lacan in French his writing was startlingly different

(although [root of -1] = penis is still bizarre and no amount of translation analysis is going to illuminate that)

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    If teasing people is wrong I don't want to be right. Also you can make any joke as long as it's not truly mean spirited. Fuck, I made a trans joke about Atomika yesterday. I said a fat man's bodily fluids turned her female.

But it wasn't mean spirited. That's not to say you can be taken wrong. Lord knows I am all the time. But you can't say "Oh this is off limits but this isn't", because that isn't necessarily true.
    But sometimes it is. But usually it isn't totally. It's called self awareness and learning from your mistakes and knowing when to apologize

oh and also not being a giant pussy helps too.

Ludious on

on top of everything else, word on the street is that the steak is only cooked to medium rare

But is the broccoli mush?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

Wow, it's a shame it's overcooked.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    The most polite statement said in mean spirits is worse than the most tasteless joke that wasn't

ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    If teasing people is wrong I don't want to be right. Also you can make any joke as long as it's not truly mean spirited. Fuck, I made a trans joke about Atomika yesterday. I said a fat man's bodily fluids turned her female.

But it wasn't mean spirited. That's not to say you can be taken wrong. Lord knows I am all the time. But you can't say "Oh this is off limits but this isn't", because that isn't necessarily true.
    But sometimes it is. But usually it isn't totally. It's called self awareness and learning from your mistakes and knowing when to apologize

This promotes a generally callous attitude and promotes division even under ideal circumstances and the only advantage is that you avoid the discomfort of having to be genuine with people.

the bitterest mush

Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2014

WHERE IS THE REALISM?

BROCOLLI DOESNT HAVE ARMS!

It describes a tragedy - the only time brocolli would even meet steak is if it were about to be eaten. Not only will their friendship be short lived but it would be disrupted by horrible destruction.

Also, how would they even become friends? Is the some sot of universal food language?

Apothe0sis on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

well, there are definitely circumstances where you cannot make a joke even if it's not truly mean spirited, right?

knowing the company and your audience goes a long way though

sig.gif
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    we should probably start rounding up the mentally ill and putting them in camps

that would solve the problem

919UOwT.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

the FDA should ban the serving of all steaks that aren't rare or medium rare

why not save the money and just buy some shoes at wal-mart and eat those if it isn't pink inside

override367 on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    if a book written in Russian has a name that is a pun in German, I'd just leave the name as-is

if the original text is winking specifically at multi-lingual people, then the translation should as well

the bitterest mush

I guess I can be a little bit angry.

:disappointed:

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    "emo kid go cut yourself" jokes commit the unforgivable sin of being both boring and offensive

camps are always the solution

ftOqU21.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I was truly worried this post was going to lack the proper Ludious punch and I was gonna have to call him out.

But then he stuck the landing.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Im nice and warm and under a blanket.

Up until very recently I enjoyed McDolans patties more than any steak I ever had.

Also everything should be cooked to medium. Evolution says so.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    The most polite statement said in mean spirits is worse than the most tasteless joke that wasn't

I truly thank you for this contribution. Its really fosters the idea that even the least among us have something to give.
    :p

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    MrMister wrote: »
    "emo kid go cut yourself" jokes commit the unforgivable sin of being both boring and offensive

Down the lane, not across the street!

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Whelp last computer I am able to install is installed.

Just about 6 hours of work left at this place doing IT.

6 hours left doing IT.

Yay.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    if a book written in Russian has a name that is a pun in German, I'd just leave the name as-is

if the original text is winking specifically at multi-lingual people, then the translation should as well

translator's note: raddest verdammte Kerl am Leben means gooey

919UOwT.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I remember a video where a food magazine ambushed gordon ramsay and they were like "we ordered a steak well done at your restaurant and it was shit"

and he's like, "you ordered a steak well done at my restaurant? you insult the chef like that and expect it to be good? just eat your shoe instead", paraphrasing

override367 on
    I'm still in bed and eyeing the blue sky like it's up to something

I should get some antihistamines make these hangovers less annoying

ftOqU21.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    You earned the Ninth Anniversary badge.
    Thanks for sticking with us for 9 years. +5 points

God help me.

Bless your heart.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    we should probably start rounding up the mentally ill and putting them in camps

that would solve the problem
    I knew we could solve this if we just dedicated some time and concentration.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    don't say "or drink less"

that's not the kind of solution-oriented attitude I want here

ftOqU21.png
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I heard we were twisting knickers and came as quickly as I could

So like every other time?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Down the lane, not across the street!

women be shoppin m i right

yawn

This discussion has been closed.