As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Fractions

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I will get the finest cut of steak money can buy, fly out to Seattle, set up right on the busiest hipster street, cook it well done, and then eat it with ketchup.

The tears will power my perpetual motion time machine.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hey man if someone wants to spend a bunch of money on well-done steak that's their bidness. Though I do subscribe to the whole chef gonna give you a less then amazing cut that way thing.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    my mom insists that when I was 4 I watched a movie (poltergeist or something?) with her and tried to drown myself in the bathtub so I could be a ghost

I was emo before it was cool

override367 on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Evil Multifarious‌ I know that Russian is particularly frustrating for translators in general. Mayakovsky's poetry, for example, is almost untranslatable into English because so much of it revolves around Russian wordplay that's impossible to translate.

Likewise, I know German can be frustrating. Kafka, from what I understand, wrote in long, intense sentences that just rolled on and on but in English they are broken up due to the fact that we can't really do that.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    women be shoppppppppin'

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    777 the agreement of god.

Yaaaaaay.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I asked for ketchup for my steak one time at a high end restaurant, but it was only because the wait staff and manager were being complete cocks.

Fuck you assholes, if you're going to insult me by treating me like I'm not good enough to spend my hard earned money at your restaurant, I'm going to insult you too.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    women be shoppppppppin'

This plays on two stereotypes at once.

Efficient.

edited March 2014
    women be shoppppppppin'

http://gawker.com/man-commits-suicide-in-mall-after-girlfriend-refuses-to-1479660064/all
    The 38-year-old, identified as Tao Hsiao, had been shopping with his girlfriend at the Golden Eagle International Shopping Center in Xuzhou, China, when she asked to check out one last shoe store.

Having been inside the mall for five hours, Tao had reached his limit, and reportedly insisted that they leave immediately.

"He told her she already had enough shoes, more shoes that she could wear in a lifetime and it was pointless buying any more," an eyewitness was quoted as saying. "She started shouting at him accusing him of being a skinflint and of spoiling Christmas, it was a really heated argument."

Surveillance footage shows Tao angrily hurling the shopping bags and jumping over the railing onto the cosmetics section below.

override367 on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    huehuehue.
    778 loser.

Bless your heart.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Translating is always more of an art. There isn't really a language you can do literal translation with and keep the feeling of the original writing.

Doing Japanese there are always these weird puns and phrasing that just doesn't work well in English. A lot of the writing is done in a way that you can assume meaning do to context. Doing direct translation though is a bitch because of it.

A good translator though can bring the meaning and essence of the writing to a new language but probably will never do it through a literal translation.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Likewise, I know German can be frustrating. Kafka, from what I understand, wrote in long, intense sentences that just rolled on and on but in English they are broken up due to the fact that we can't really do that.

YO I AM A COCKROACH N SHIT

919UOwT.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    "emo kid go cut yourself" jokes commit the unforgivable sin of being both boring and offensive

This being a multi page "thing" is tedious and ridiculous.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @spool32 @Eddy‌

1 bottle of wine
    + 5:45am wake up

@skippydumptruck‌

I got the kids up at 7:35. We need to leave for school at 7:45.

looooool

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Shallow and pedantic.

Shallow and pedantic.

The fire truck is a solitary killer

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

YO I AM A COCKROACH N SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaaF83eVig

whenever these things happen i feel kind of sorry for the person who made the joke

it was probably an offhand thing and not their main punchline of their standup routine

but then we have a long time discussing how unfunny they are

deebs is very funny i'll have you all know especially when he tells me things like i have a future and things to aspire to

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I asked for ketchup for my steak one time at a high end restaurant, but it was only because the wait staff and manager were being complete cocks.

Fuck you assholes, if you're going to insult me by treating me like I'm not good enough to spend my hard earned money at your restaurant, I'm going to insult you too.

I don't understand horrible people that willingly go into hospitality. Some patrons must get off on being treated like shit

What the fuck? Was the waiter like flat out making fun of you or something?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    women be shoppppppppin'

http://gawker.com/man-commits-suicide-in-mall-after-girlfriend-refuses-to-1479660064/all
    The 38-year-old, identified as Tao Hsiao, had been shopping with his girlfriend at the Golden Eagle International Shopping Center in Xuzhou, China, when she asked to check out one last shoe store.

Having been inside the mall for five hours, Tao had reached his limit, and reportedly insisted that they leave immediately.

"He told her she already had enough shoes, more shoes that she could wear in a lifetime and it was pointless buying any more," an eyewitness was quoted as saying. "She started shouting at him accusing him of being a skinflint and of spoiling Christmas, it was a really heated argument."

Surveillance footage shows Tao angrily hurling the shopping bags and jumping over the railing onto the cosmetics section below.

Man, I know couples fight tao and then but that's crazy

Also

If you did not play Frog Fractions in the OP

you are missing out like whoa! I am rocking out to the end credits right now.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

I don't understand horrible people that willingly go into hospitality. Some patrons must get off on being treated like shit

yeah

then it's more like

notspitality

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I will say, as someone on the OPPOSITE side of the fence as @Tav‌ , that chat is a fickle beast when it comes to jokes.

Some people are consistent... but a whole bunch of ya'll will get your panties bunched up over jokes at certain demographics and go on tangents about why people shouldn't make jokes like that and it's bad for society and blahblahblah, but then be trigger happy with that agree button on an offensive joke at seperate demographic that, for some reason, is OK.

I'm with the "fuck it make fun of everything" group that Ludious is on. But Tav isn't completely off base with his general thought here. But then again I feel like most people new that and it's still not worth getting bunched over.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    "emo kid go cut yourself" jokes commit the unforgivable sin of being both boring and offensive

This being a multi page "thing" is tedious and ridiculous.

oh deebs, you can joke about anything you want, as long as it's more funny than it is offensive

which is to say

you can't make any jokes about anything because they're all bombs and you are terrible.
    <3

edited March 2014

There are people that pay others to treat them like shit until it gets them off!

override367 on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌

The new poster for the Fargo series.

zlrLff8.jpg

It's a nice take on the original movie poster for Fargo.

LTkuFYJ.jpg

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @spool32 @Eddy‌

1 bottle of wine
    + 5:45am wake up

@skippydumptruck‌

I got the kids up at 7:35. We need to leave for school at 7:45.

looooool

BTW Spool, any more updates on the whole school debacle that's been going on?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    TL DR wrote: »
    women be shoppppppppin'

Daaaaaaaaaang...

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hahaha self harm

also Frog Fractions is. Hmm.

I think. Wait, no. I got it.

I don't got it.

Oh brilliant

yeah

then it's more like

notspitality

you can't spell hospitality without spit

deeb's jokes are great fyi hth

919UOwT.png
    I think we can all agree that we should just make fun of anti-vaccers instead.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hmmm...FTL free expansion comes out next week.

I am excited.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Johnny Cage Wins

HOSPITALITY

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i am laughing hysterically at that gawker article

oh my god

what a ridiculous scenario

oh my god casual eddy's mom on facebook

i am squeeing with delight

I WANT AN ADORABLE SET OF PARENTS SO BAD

TL DR wrote: »
    women be shoppppppppin'

i wonder what his girlfriend would have done if the shoe was on the other foot

919UOwT.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Needs more x's

Delmain wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Needs more x's

I can never figure out which way is the acceptable way to spell it.

Fuck it

ant-vaccxxers.

This discussion has been closed.