As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - The Nexesse

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - The Nexesse

The Nexesse

The Nexesse

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/03/26

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Brilliant.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just read about this too. So glad they made a comic about it. Didn't hear the Ursula angle before, nice touch.
    dead.juice wrote: »
    I havn't been keeping up with Disney to understand what cross-plot-web this is referring to, but I love the setup of the panels. Nice work Mike. :)
    Pictures like these have been popping up recently:

tumblr_n2c788HczN1tvn7xco1_500.jpg
    @dead.juice

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    NekoPanzerNekoPanzer Registered User regular
    Aren't the Tangled and Frozen photos reversed? Frozen is set in Norway, and Tangled in Germany. Personally, I think the Little Mermaid angle was a bit of a stretch.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Are we going to get closer to a Grand Unified Fictional Universe?
    If we can link all the Disneys together, the associated crossovers make it easy to link them to Square and Star Wars, thanks to Kingdom Hearts and Soul Calibur.
    And Soul Caliburs' other guest fighters give us links to Assassins Creed, God of War, Tekken and Zelda. Zelda links us to Smash Bros and almost the entire Nintendo field, and Kratos was in PS All Stars, wasn't he? That pulls in most of the Sony games.

Let's see the unification theory for that lot.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Are we going to get closer to a Grand Unified Fictional Universe?
    If we can link all the Disneys together, the associated crossovers make it easy to link them to Square and Star Wars, thanks to Kingdom Hearts and Soul Calibur.
    And Soul Caliburs' other guest fighters give us links to Assassins Creed, God of War, Tekken and Zelda. Zelda links us to Smash Bros and almost the entire Nintendo field, and Kratos was in PS All Stars, wasn't he? That pulls in most of the Sony games.

Let's see the unification theory for that lot.

241967029_3V9PQ-L-2.jpg

• Options
    DarkeSwordDarkeSword Registered User regular
    It's all possible. Rapunzel and Flynn are seen at the palace gates in Arendelle on Coronation Day.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    NekoPanzer wrote: »
    Aren't the Tangled and Frozen photos reversed? Frozen is set in Norway, and Tangled in Germany. Personally, I think the Little Mermaid angle was a bit of a stretch.
    I have no recollection where the The Little Mermaid movie was set, but the story is Danish. Being right between Germany and Norway makes it a pretty solid tie-in. There is also this comic which establishes a prior link between Gabe and Ariel.
    215552517_ZppPp-L-2.jpg

• Options
    dead.juicedead.juice Registered User regular
    I havn't been keeping up with Disney to understand what cross-plot-web this is referring to, but I love the setup of the panels. Nice work Mike. :)

• Options
    MaiandraMaiandra Registered User new member
    Would it be possible to get clean versions of those headshots? (Are there even full versions of Elsa and Ariel?)
    Your [Mike's] characters are always beautiful, and it would be a shame for these only to be seen in the background like that.
    Full-panel versions would be fantastic, but as they are would actually be a perfect size for icons. =)

I think Gabe makes these in layers, so I'm hoping it wouldn't be too much trouble to pull those out. Then again, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about at all... =P

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    This made me laugh so hard. That last panel just absolutely killed me. Also I had not heard anything about this unification theory. I guess it is supposed to be some sort of commonality between the various Disney movies.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Our Usula theory debunked?

Kara decided that Frozen was her favorite Disney movie. This was not a decision she took lightly. My wife has called the Little Mermaid her favorite Disney movie for 24 years. Switching to Frozen was done only after seeing the movie many times and hours upon hours of quiet deliberation. She sent me a text message this afternoon:

i-cCjpdjJ.jpg

My wife ladies and gentlemen.

-Gabe out

Link

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I have literally no idea what this comic is about. Something about a conspiracy between 1980's kids movie The Little Mermaid and other, more ancient fairy tales? And wherever/whatever Arendale is?

edit: There is a news post now, which seems to imply that the comic is more Disney specific than I had assumed; this would explain why I have no idea what they are talking about. I haven't been forced to grok any Disney stuff since I stopped living in the same house as my little sister, so my knowledge in that field is circa ~1998.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Your missing out Tangled is good.(haven't seen Frozen) But I'm a sucker for almost anything animated.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Frozen had the usual writing slump right at the climax, but other than that it was pretty good.

cB557 on
  • Options
    MaiandraMaiandra Registered User new member
    edited March 2014
    Arrendelle is the city in which the Disney movie "Frozen" is set and is presumed to be located in Norway.
    There is a link in the newspost to the full explanation, but it's a fan theory connecting Disney movies based on "easter eggs" in the vein of The Pixar Theory.

The connection is basically this:

Characters from the movie "Tangled" (Rapunzel) showed up for the Queen's coronation in the movie "Frozen" (The Snow Queen.)
    From that, some people suppose that characters from "Frozen" might also have visited characters in "Tangled." In fact, during "Frozen," characters do leave on a ship for an unspecified destination.
    A trip from Norway (Frozen) to Germany (Tangled) would take them past the area of Denmark, which is where "The Little Mermaid" is thought to have taken place.

Maiandra on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh god, that Pixar theory thing would've worked so much better if they just stopped at a few points and said, "Fuck it, that makes no sense, so y'know what it's also magic."

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    somewhere in Japan, Tetsuya Nomura is furiously writing this into Kingdom Hearts 3.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I spent way too much time on that ARG, and then didn't even end up playing the game.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It was a good game though.

• Options
    ociousocious Registered User regular
    12 million?

Life is a ____ , depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    somewhere in Japan, Tetsuya Nomura is furiously writing this into Kingdom Hearts 3.

I can suspend disbelief for this Disney connection and the whole PIxar Unified Theory, but there is no way I'm going to buy that anyone's actually working on Kingdom Hearts 3. Kingdom Hearts: Light Shadow Dreams in Vertical Dimensionally Spinning Peanut Butter Monkey, maybe.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    PociaskPociask Registered User new member
    edited March 2014
    The Disney fan theory's real hole is, why wouldn't the king and queen take their children to a royal coronation? There is no way the Frozen parents were on their way to see the Tangled coronation. Not when they knew time was about to run out for their old friend the Prince of France, and they could not let a Beast terrorize the land any longer. Luckily for Belle, the mercy mission of death was brought to an early end by a storm at sea. As for what caused the storm, I can only imagine that Aladdin dumped Jafar's lamp into the middle of a far away ocean, and occasionally his magical rage escapes the confines of the lamp.

Pociask on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

I can suspend disbelief for this Disney connection and the whole PIxar Unified Theory, but there is no way I'm going to buy that anyone's actually working on Kingdom Hearts 3. Kingdom Hearts: Light Shadow Dreams in Vertical Dimensionally Spinning Peanut Butter Monkey, maybe.

...not sure if serious.

if you are, well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjBHFb0fZM

if you're joking, i agree, that's the title i would give the next KH game, and maybe with a little more emphasis on KEYBLADE SALTY ICE CREAM THING SPIKED HAIR

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    ocious wrote: »
    12 million?

Yeah, I'm curious as to what they were offered. I've heard it mentioned somewhere that PA was offered a crap ton of money to sell out, maybe at the Khoo & A. 12 million each? Talking 50+ million total probably (between Mike, Jerry, Robert, and the rest of the gang).

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

...not sure if serious.

if you are, well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjBHFb0fZM

if you're joking, i agree, that's the title i would give the next KH game, and maybe with a little more emphasis on KEYBLADE SALTY ICE CREAM THING SPIKED HAIR

Damn that trailer is like pure nostalgia.

If I actually get a PS4 it'd probably be for KH3.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    How about this? After his traumatic experience being transformed into a stove in Beauty and the Beast the french chef, Louis Bouche, travelled to Denmark and got a job in Prince Eric's castle, showing up in the Little Mermaid TV series, the film, Little Mermaid II, and the series of Sebastian the Crab shorts (which I don't think I've ever seen, and don't seem to be on the internet anywhere...). Ultimately his descendants moves back to France, and one of them becomes Chef Skinner from Ratatouille.

• Options
    MlsterBenMlsterBen Registered User regular
    Soooooo I'm actually just here to see if anybody has a full version of that picture of Elsa.....

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Gabe is still thinking about Ariel?
    Cybit wrote: »
    ocious wrote: »
    12 million?

Yeah, I'm curious as to what they were offered. I've heard it mentioned somewhere that PA was offered a crap ton of money to sell out, maybe at the Khoo & A. 12 million each? Talking 50+ million total probably (between Mike, Jerry, Robert, and the rest of the gang).
    I think I remember from the Khoo and A, or it might have been the Khoo interviews Mike and Jerry, they mentioned that since Khoo came on board, they have had two legit chances to "sell out". The first was a decent amount of money, but they didn't take it. The second time, well after both PAX prime and PAX East had taken off, they were offered a lot of money. Khoo made a point of saying that there comes a time when you are offered so much money for your business that you are a fool if you don't consider selling out, if not for your self, but for your family. Robert said they explained the offer to the 14-15 people that work for Penny Arcade and had a vote on weather or not to sell, with the promise that if everyone voted to sell out, they would get a cut of the money. Giving them a cut was something that Robert, Mike, and Jerry did not have to do, as they are the ones that actually own Penny Arcade. Everyone voted not to sell.

• Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Khoo made a point of saying that there comes a time when you are offered so much money for your business that you are a fool if you don't consider selling out, if not for your self, but for your family. Robert said they explained the offer to the 14-15 people that work for Penny Arcade and had a vote on weather or not to sell, with the promise that if everyone voted to sell out, they would get a cut of the money. Giving them a cut was something that Robert, Mike, and Jerry did not have to do, as they are the ones that actually own Penny Arcade. Everyone voted not to sell.

I fully agree with Robert's point there. I think that's what happened with Oculus Rift selling to Facebook. If someone comes along and offers you that much money...well...why the hell would you not take it? Folks on reddit don't like it, but let me tell ya I would sleep well at night because my pillow would be stuffed with $100 bills. You have to take opportunities like that, because they may not come again. Products have a lifespan, and Penny Arcade, for all we know, may decline and never receive another offer. At that time, maybe they'll all be like "Ah crap we coulda sold. Ah well," who knows?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think that's part of the reason why they wanted to make PAX and Child's Play a thing.

sig.gif