As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Fractions

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    "And they became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three hundred ells:[68] Who consumed all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against them and devoured mankind. And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood."

The book of Enoch is basically a D&D campaign.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I want my sci fi to be a little more like "well, shit, I guess we were all kinda wrong just to slightly different degrees more often"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    they began to sin against birds

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    out of the long-running shows on tv i think friends got one of the best endings. the office as well.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    they began to sin against birds

At least frogs are safe.

• Options
    Phoebe should have ended up with the nerdy dude.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    alarms set

gym before work

lets see how this goes

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ross should have followed rachel onto the plane and then everyone else got off and then it burst into flames

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    alarms set

gym before work

lets see how this goes

there was a time when i did that and it was pretty nice

• Options
    ross should have followed rachel onto the plane and then everyone else got off and then it burst into flames

you're such a chandler

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Aw. No more Leverage.

The show so completely jumped the shark at the end of the third season anyway.

On a another shark driving a motorcycle with lasers that turn people in to t-rexes that then explode.

• Options
    Aw. No more Leverage.

On a another shark driving a motorcycle with lasers that turn people in to t-rexes that then explode.

this sounds like the best show ever

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Actually, watching the Transcendence trailer again, I think it's possible the AI may be the good guy and the trailer is just intentionally misleading.

Because at the beginning it's established that there's like an anti-tech terrorist organization.

If you figure that the writer would most likely be writing about post-humanism because he is a post-humanist (it's not really a mainstream concept and like all the stuff that shows up in the trailer are things post-humanists are all about), then Luddites are probably the actual enemy, and he's going for a reversal on the usual scifi tropes. This would be pretty consistent with, like, Kurzweil, where he sees himself as being persecuted by people who are afraid of technology.
    The movie looks awesome.

Kurzweil is a bit loopy, if only because of one of the graphs for which he is famous that equates technological development with evolution.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    friends did a great job in not making me hate every single one of them by the end

*glares at himym*

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Well, the biggest issue I had on this front was how the transgender character was always referred to as "he" by everyone. That's just not really a thing. Transwomen are women, and the identification as women isn't a new thing. It was a major point of ignorance in the film, and the director himself admitted that he was completely ignorant of trans people and the community. There was literally no effort to represent that aspect with anything close to reality, though the film frequenlty dipped into hoary cliches about trans people that frequently were mixed up with hoary cliches about gay people or drag queens. Rayon was used as little more than a metric by which to measure Woodroof's growth, and we got very little insight into her life or story despite her being the second main character. I found it kinda insulting, honestly.

I didn't think Leto's character was trans in the way I think of trans people on the forum here... Like, Reyon dressed like a woman but didn't identify as one, and was in what appeared to be a monogamous gay relationship with that dude. Hormones never came up, nor any discussion of dysphoria (aside from maybe that one scene about wanting to be pretty towards the end). Reyon was a tortured soul who had no support from his family as he struggled with his identity, and this struggle unfortunately happened at a time when the gay community was hit first and hardest with a terrible illness, which really made things worse. You never find out if it was sex or the needle that caused Reyon's infection, but you cannot blame the character for use of drugs after getting a death sentence like that.
    I agree that Macconaughey's performance wasn't amazing (his work in True Detective was much better), but it was pretty good. Jennifer Garner, however, was awful. Jered Leto? I dunno. I'm not happy with the character at all, so it's hard for me to judge how well he played it.

Garner was the weakest part of the main cast, yes. But Leto's performance was amazing, IMO, and totally deserving of the Oscar. Much morso than Macconaughey, who delivered a great performance in a year with many others equal if not moreso.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Aw. No more Leverage.

Leverage was a ridiculous show that began to embrace its ridiculousness the longer it ran.

• Options
    i saw american hustle

i dont know if i liked it

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    i saw american hustle

it had a lot of good performances and some funny parts but i don't know if i liked the movie itself

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Actually, watching the Transcendence trailer again, I think it's possible the AI may be the good guy and the trailer is just intentionally misleading.

Because at the beginning it's established that there's like an anti-tech terrorist organization.

If you figure that the writer would most likely be writing about post-humanism because he is a post-humanist (it's not really a mainstream concept and like all the stuff that shows up in the trailer are things post-humanists are all about), then Luddites are probably the actual enemy, and he's going for a reversal on the usual scifi tropes. This would be pretty consistent with, like, Kurzweil, where he sees himself as being persecuted by people who are afraid of technology.
    The movie looks awesome.

Kurzweil is a bit loopy, if only because of one of the graphs for which he is famous that equates technological development with evolution.

Kurzweil is definitely loopy.

Though, I would also equate technological development with evolution, but my views on this are less scientific than they are...I guess philosophical?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Well, the biggest issue I had on this front was how the transgender character was always referred to as "he" by everyone. That's just not really a thing. Transwomen are women, and the identification as women isn't a new thing. It was a major point of ignorance in the film, and the director himself admitted that he was completely ignorant of trans people and the community. There was literally no effort to represent that aspect with anything close to reality, though the film frequenlty dipped into hoary cliches about trans people that frequently were mixed up with hoary cliches about gay people or drag queens. Rayon was used as little more than a metric by which to measure Woodroof's growth, and we got very little insight into her life or story despite her being the second main character. I found it kinda insulting, honestly.

I didn't think Leto's character was trans in the way I think of trans people on the forum here... Like, Reyon dressed like a woman but didn't identify as one, and was in what appeared to be a monogamous gay relationship with that dude. Hormones never came up, nor any discussion of dysphoria (aside from maybe that one scene about wanting to be pretty towards the end). Reyon was a tortured soul who had no support from his family as he struggled with his identity, and this struggle unfortunately happened at a time when the gay community was hit first and hardest with a terrible illness, which really made things worse. You never find out if it was sex or the needle that caused Reyon's infection, but you cannot blame the character for use of drugs after getting a death sentence like that.
    I agree that Macconaughey's performance wasn't amazing (his work in True Detective was much better), but it was pretty good. Jennifer Garner, however, was awful. Jered Leto? I dunno. I'm not happy with the character at all, so it's hard for me to judge how well he played it.

Garner was the weakest part of the main cast, yes. But Leto's performance was amazing, IMO, and totally deserving of the Oscar. Much morso than Macconaughey, who delivered a great performance in a year with many others equal if not moreso.

I don't even know how much it's garner's performance vs a sort of weak character who is forced to ignore direct evidence over and over while clearly not wanting to.

Which probably is realistic but it's hard to enjoy a character put in that position, and I imagine hard to play one.

agree with synd on pretty much every other point. not surprised to see atomika not liking something that received critical acclaim :(

Leto made me sad to the point of feeling physically ill in his last few scenes. Just unbelievable.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Aw. No more Leverage.

Leverage was a ridiculous show that began to embrace its ridiculousness the longer it ran.

I couldn't watch it after
    The one dude slid on the ground shooting his pistols at all the assassins surrounding him and came out alive.

It was so stupid.

• Options
    i saw american hustle

it had a lot of good performances and some funny parts but i don't know if i liked the movie itself

yeah exactly

the characters were great but i felt like i wasn't watching a complete cohesive movie

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Rayon was a hodgepodge of a bunch of different people with vastly different life experiences. She was not very well done because of that.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @skippydumptruck‌

just shit myself while throwing up

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    So tonight was strange. Last minute evening drinks with a good friend who then gets us thrown out of a restaurant then pub for avoidable reasons who then reveals suicidal tendencies.

I've never been thrown out of anywhere so it was an experience.

He seems like he has moved past the bad places but I really don't l know, nor how to deal with that

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Phoebe should have ended up with the nerdy dude.
    Hank Azaria is the greatest.

• Options
    I couldn't get a finger on what I didn't love about American Hustle. it's not bad by any means but I really thought it was gonna blow me away. I think if I saw it a few years back it would have been my favorite movie... it's got a lot of pieces I like but eh

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2014
    Cinders wrote: »
    Rayon was a hodgepodge of a bunch of different people with vastly different life experiences. She was not very well done because of that.

The thing is, nobody calls Reyon she in the film, not even Reyon. In the movie, he is a character who wears women's clothing and is gay.

That with some alteration to pronouns and a few extra scenes, he could have been a transgendered character is obvious; but that they didn't go that way for the composite character is not a mark against the film.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

The movie looks awesome.

Kurzweil is definitely loopy.

Though, I would also equate technological development with evolution, but my views on this are less scientific than they are...I guess philosophical?

p much since while I get the gist of what you're saying it's not what evolution means at all

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

I don't even know how much it's garner's performance vs a sort of weak character who is forced to ignore direct evidence over and over while clearly not wanting to.

Which probably is realistic but it's hard to enjoy a character put in that position, and I imagine hard to play one.

agree with synd on pretty much every other point. not surprised to see atomika not liking something that received critical acclaim :(

Leto made me sad to the point of feeling physically ill in his last few scenes. Just unbelievable.

I'd be careful categorizing atomika's opinion here as "doesn't like popular things"

By everything I've read about it the character treatment in the movie could be legitimately viewed as problematic

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    @skippydumptruck‌

just shit myself while throwing up

on this note

anyone trying to fuck i am down to fuck

• Options
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So tonight was strange. Last minute evening drinks with a good friend who then gets us thrown out of a restaurant then pub for avoidable reasons who then reveals suicidal tendencies.

I've never been thrown out of anywhere so it was an experience.

He seems like he has moved past the bad places but I really don't l know, nor how to deal with that

Pretty much all you can do is suggest he get help and let him know you support him.

• Options
    you know, rayon being referred to as "he" might have been the point

it's a movie about a point in time and a reflection of the world in which the movie exists and the interactions between the characters, not a tumblr

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    i love the shame of the body failing to hold in its contents
    stupid weak human body

• Options
    Aw. No more Leverage.

I couldn't watch it after
    The one dude slid on the ground shooting his pistols at all the assassins surrounding him and came out alive.

It was so stupid.

It was a glorious, beautiful rip off of Equilibrium.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Aw. No more Leverage.

I hate this phrase so much

It's like fingernails on a pretentious chalkboard

I mean it totally applies to Leverage

But that phrase, just, man, eugh

• Options
    edited March 2014

The skinny guy from True Detective (who looks like William Fitchner when super skinny) offers/threatens to provide Rayon with the SRS she always wanted in one scene... Using a gun.

Whether that's a bigoted assumption or an actual reflection of Rayons desires is an exercise left up to the reader.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

I'd be careful categorizing atomika's opinion here as "doesn't like popular things"

By everything I've read about it the character treatment in the movie could be legitimately viewed as problematic

that she makes a good point here doesn't change that that's an apparent trend! also I'd narrow it to 'doesn't like things'

but at least there's always a discussion to have. I don't mean to sound dismissive, believe me.

I really don't want to fuck up here and say something rude or inconsiderate but I feel like a character that hits close to home for some people may be viewed as 'wrong', where as to someone who can relate to it far less specifically it's successful in a number of ways.

fully willing to admit I'm just wrong and the emotion of the part put blinders on me regarding those types of issues but right this second I'm not sure.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    you know, rayon being referred to as "he" might have been the point

it's a movie about a point in time and a reflection of the world in which the movie exists and the interactions between the characters, not a tumblr
    Ok this is me officially saying I'm sick of this lol tumblr your argument is invalid shit

• Options
    i made a post on reddit last night about empathy for criminals and trying to trace the causes of violent crime

and i got more upvotes than downvotes

*weeps blood*

This discussion has been closed.