As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Fractions

19495969798100»

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i must admit to the cardinal sin of unoriginality

i named our ssid Pretty Fly for a Wi-Fi

because i'm derivative and not creative

*weeps hysterically*

This is the saddest post. Because you're now stuck with staring at your uncreative name for years because your aunt's laptop and all the other devices use it to connect and any changes will be sort of an ill-timed ordeal.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

*weeps hysterically*

good wifi names are great conversation starters

boner jams '03

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

*weeps hysterically*

There is no shame in repeating a good joke

Or a bad joke, but like a good bad joke

So long as you don't try and pass it off as your joke.

I feel like there is a huge difference between regular human interaction and being a standup comedian here.

I dunno, I think it's pretty cringe-y when people try to use other people's work without accreditation in real life.

You'd look down on someone using uncredited quotes to make them seem more intelligent, I don't see why jokes should be different?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Look guys can we just all agree that the ultimate form of gender is the nongender of beings made of pure energy.

It is my ultimate aspiration to one day be transformed into a state of energy that exists in a dimension higher than our current four dimensional lives.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    you know, rayon being referred to as "he" might have been the point

it's a movie about a point in time and a reflection of the world in which the movie exists and the interactions between the characters, not a tumblr

Bullshit. If they just used he in the movie, you might have a point. But they also only used he as a description of the character outside the movie.

This. This is you applying your own lens and opinion on the character to your own place and therefore judging more harshly.

The reason everyone in the film referred to Rayon as a he, and out of the film referred to Rayon as a he, could just as simply be because Rayon was a gay man who liked women's clothing and did not think or feel himself as being a woman.

I have not seen a single description of the character from a single person tied to the movie as anything other than a trans women.

I did not know this movie existed until about 5 minutes ago, and it took about a minute of googling to find interviews with Jared Leto where he explicitly states that he played Rayon as a transwoman.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Look guys can we just all agree that the ultimate form of gender is the nongender of beings made of pure energy.

It is my ultimate aspiration to one day be transformed into a state of energy that exists in a dimension higher than our current four dimensional lives.

as long as the female beings of pure energy still have boobs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wellllll

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    you know, rayon being referred to as "he" might have been the point

it's a movie about a point in time and a reflection of the world in which the movie exists and the interactions between the characters, not a tumblr

Bullshit. If they just used he in the movie, you might have a point. But they also only used he as a description of the character outside the movie.

This. This is you applying your own lens and opinion on the character to your own place and therefore judging more harshly.

The reason everyone in the film referred to Rayon as a he, and out of the film referred to Rayon as a he, could just as simply be because Rayon was a gay man who liked women's clothing and did not think or feel himself as being a woman.

I have not seen a single description of the character from a single person tied to the movie as anything other than a trans women.

quick interjection this reminds me of one of my own double negative moments

ftOqU21.png

*weeps hysterically*

I feel like there is a huge difference between regular human interaction and being a standup comedian here.

I dunno, I think it's pretty cringe-y when people try to use other people's work without accreditation in real life.

You'd look down on someone using uncredited quotes to make them seem more intelligent, I don't see why jokes should be different?

Because offering citations for what you say in a casual conversation is awkward as heck.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    gooey the new cat my uncle got? diablo? the one i really liked? :(

he hasn't been seen in two days. we live in a row home and i don't think he is really outside-equipped. p sure he's gone forever. bummed out.

sucks bro :[

i will say cats can be weird

my roommate brought his parents' cat to our apt for a couple days once and we thought it escaped, checked every conceivable place it could be. it was a tiny apartment and there weren't any real hiding spaces, it was nowhere to be found. i'm pretty sure he blamed me and was really pissed about it

a couple days later it just strolled into the living room like it weren't no thang

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Also dat ass.

Scratch that everyone must have dat ass.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

*weeps hysterically*

Because offering citations for what you say in a casual conversation is awkward as heck.

[citation needed]

tron-trailer.jpg

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Quid wrote: »

Also dat ass.

Scratch that everyone must have dat ass.

Hmmmmm acceptable

edited March 2014

*weeps hysterically*

Is it really awkward to say "Oh I really like that Hedberg joke when he said" or "I think it was x who said"?

Tav on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

well

they can take the shape of a giant boob

if they wanted too

of course any fifth dimensional sentient being of energy could do that

*weeps hysterically*

this isn't the same thing

using it without accreditation isn't passing it off as your joke

and nobody cares about the author

ftOqU21.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Aw. No more Leverage.

The show so completely jumped the shark at the end of the third season anyway.

I hate this phrase so much

It's like fingernails on a pretentious chalkboard

I mean it totally applies to Leverage

But that phrase, just, man, eugh

The phrase has literal roots, though.

Oh absolutely

But overuse and misuse of it by idiots on the internet turned it into something I reflexively cringe at even when it actually is applicable

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think this cat has a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44AA84GxYK0

*weeps hysterically*

Is it really awkward to say "Oh I really like that Hedberg joke when he said" or "I think it was x who said"?

Depending on the conversation, yes, it could entirely mess up the timing and flow.

*weeps hysterically*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV9U23YXgiY

*weeps hysterically*

yeah if i have heard a joke or one liner that fits in perfectly with conversation i'll just .. use it

i don't generally say - "that joke was from an episode of community", its too cumbersome

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I think this cat has a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44AA84GxYK0

That is the worst case of being a cat I've ever seen.

Abdhyius wrote: »

*weeps hysterically*

this isn't the same thing

using it without accreditation isn't passing it off as your joke

and nobody cares about the author

yeah, my language was a bit off

basically saying it without giving any sort of hint that it isn't your joke

the easiest way to do this is to say whose joke it is, but yeah i see what you mean

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck‌

i stayed up too late drinking with you. i woke up today (having slept through my alarm) at 2:39. have to be in work at 3:00 for a three hour deli-training module. i sprint around the house to yakety sax, roll into work at 3:01. i figure yeah i'm sick as hell, nose running, hungover- but this is just a computer based training thing, right? no big deal. i don't feel guilty about getting people sick, because i ain't working with food.

i look across the store. cue six coworkers huddled around the district manager who is making a sandwich. this is very much a hands-on training thing!

my manager takes one look at me, says "jesus christ dude you don't look good, go home! you can't be around food!"

i waddle back home

._.

@organichu this is delicious

sawyer got me up at 630

I heard if chat gets to 101 pages the universe ends

lets test that theory

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

*weeps hysterically*

Depending on the conversation, yes, it could entirely mess up the timing and flow.

I'm having trouble imagining this being the case in real life.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck‌

just shit myself while throwing up

lol

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If you retell a whole long-form "priest walks into a bar" traditional joke-joke, no one is gonna ask where you got it and no one is gonna assume you made it up, so claiming you made it up is dorky, citing it is dorky. No one cares.

If you retell a funny first person story stolen from a comedian, that's just weird as heck, who does that? That's just regular lying.

If you steal a fragment of a joke like "sadness bowls" or just the kernel, some turn of phrase, some observation that makes a joke work and put it in regular conversation, I feel like that's totally fine! A cite would ruin it, no one will ask if it was stolen, you're not doing standup so no one is gonna call you a derivative hack, it's just absorbing a funny idea and reusing it in a slightly different context.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

*weeps hysterically*

no

but also not always the best to include it either and I don't give a single wet shit about accreditation for accreditation's sake

exactly the same with quotes - I can say, mark twain said, if there's a point to pointing out that mark twain said it, or I can just come with the quote

like quotation marks in text it is easy to speak in a way that indicates that you are quoting, without noting who you're quoting, because that might not be interesting

and where you heard the joke is usually not especially interesting

ftOqU21.png
    I can't find a decent picture of Tron chick reclining on the sofa with her feet up. You know ... that coy pose where she pretends to not notice how sexy she is?

@skippydumptruck‌

just shit myself while throwing up

lol

I wonder

did that make him throw up more?

Also I have consumed so much media if you actually expect me to remember what joke I am referencing or quoting or what book or author or whatever I am referencing or quoting... I mean, yeah, just, basically impossible.

every single thing i have ever said and every single joke i have ever made is regurgitated bits of media

C8Ft8GE.jpg

*weeps hysterically*

Except the timing and the flow aren't your's either.

It is using someone else work to make you seem funnier than you are.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    geth, recycle the thread

Wqdwp8l.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Abdhyius will create the new thread
    @Shivahn is backup

This discussion has been closed.