As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Castle_Bravo_Blast.jpg

ftOqU21.png
Abdhyius on

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Did you even try to google bro?

disney-12-d2cbf53c5b086877262dce83bf13e6d0.jpg

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    tron-quorra.jpg

Now that's the stuff.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Now everyone in chat will be an irradiated mutant.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that OP pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Tav:

I was talking about the flow and timing of the conversation, not of a joke. If you think I pay enough attention to comedians jokes to memorize their timing, well, let us just say that I do not. I hardly even remember the precise wording.

Not to mentioning telling a joke in a conversation using stand up timing would be completely out of place and awkward.

Goddamn those boots

*drools* sexy boots to terrible things to my composure

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    olivia-wilde-tron-legacy-couch.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So is everyone just gonna post the same picture of Olivia Wilde from Tron?

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Tav:

I was talking about the flow and timing of the conversation, not of a joke. If you think I pay enough attention to comedians jokes to memorize their timing, well, let us just say that I do not. I hardly even remember the precise wording.

Not to mentioning telling a joke in a conversation using stand up timing would be completely out of place and awkward.

I do not experience conversations as things which are meaningfully impeded if you say, "Hahah, yeah, my wife came up with that one" as the laughter dies down.

Which is not to say that you always need to be citing All The Things, either.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    my favourite bit about that castle bravo image has always been the clouds in the bottom of the picture

it all has this otherwordly quality few other nuclear explosion shots have

it is one of my favourite images and so when I hit "random" in my head it came up

ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    olivia-wilde-tron-legacy-cou.jpg

I chose not to link that one because its so wide.

Quid wrote: »
    I'm not complaining.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I mean...

I've been sick with sinuses for the last few days, requiring me to turn in one of my sick days at work. Mom keeps going on how they'll use any excuse to fire me...

Or about how I'm making more now than she's ever made in her life, and how she was able to support an apartment on 10k a year - which, btw, isn't true, as she was getting help from dad at the time.

But.. really.. I dunno. I just wish my psychiatric visit would get here, despite how much shame I'm getting about it from people.

I'm just.. sitting here. An acquaintance of mine lost a friend yesterday and is really broken about it. Another, closer friend lost her grandmother...

I know this isn't a contest. But god damn when it rains, it pours.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    kedinik wrote: »
    Tav:

I do not experience conversations as things which are meaningfully impeded if you say, "Hahah, yeah, my wife came up with that one" as the laughter dies down.

Sometimes there is a timing window for that! Sometimes, there is not and someone cracks another joke off of yours as the laughter is dying down, making a new wave of laughter.

I am not going to go "Wait shut up I didn't cite that joke yet my responsibility to the originator of that joke has not been fulfilled!"

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

you got a problem buddy

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    olivia-wilde-tron-legacy-cou.jpg

I chose not to link that one because its so wide.

for real? Are you on a gameboy?

ftOqU21.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Plus, in this brave new world of internets and anon and SA and 4chan a joke is often derived from memes, or simply is a meme.

Accredit THAT!

Hey, how did the Soviets steal the bomb from the US again? Walk out the front door with a folder labeled TOP SECRET?

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hmm maybe i will play a multiplayer fps

murika?

and I just thought

no

we need a bigger image of olivia wilde

ftOqU21.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

murika?

fuck yeah

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What was her name? Something awesome like Quora, right?

Oh brilliant
    Organichu wrote: »

murika?

But which one?

Tav:

Sometimes there is a timing window for that! Sometimes, there is not and someone cracks another joke off of yours as the laughter is dying down, making a new wave of laughter.

I am not going to go "Wait shut up I didn't cite that joke yet my responsibility to the originator of that joke has not been fulfilled!"

I'm not gonna bother unless anyone would care

or I dunno, I'm drunk and otherwise won't shut up

or maybe as a seque - yeah I heard that one on QI isn't QI great

ftOqU21.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Watching this Doctor Strange movie.

Seems like even if his hands were messed up a neurosurgeon ought to be able to find work in the medical field.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    If you retell a whole long-form "priest walks into a bar" traditional joke-joke, no one is gonna ask where you got it and no one is gonna assume you made it up, so claiming you made it up is dorky, citing it is dorky. No one cares.

If you retell a funny first person story stolen from a comedian, that's just weird as heck, who does that? That's just regular lying.

If you steal a fragment of a joke like "sadness bowls" or just the kernel, some turn of phrase, some observation that makes a joke work and put it in regular conversation, I feel like that's totally fine! A cite would ruin it, no one will ask if it was stolen, you're not doing standup so no one is gonna call you a derivative hack, it's just absorbing a funny idea and reusing it in a slightly different context.

So many people, and I'm not just talking from a standup point of view. It's incredibly common to hear people do this in normal conversations because they're under the impression that people haven't heard the story before.

And reusing something in a different context but presenting it as your own idea is, as far as I'm concerned, stealing (lets call it "joke pirating" before someone wonderfully chimes in with "but the comedian doesn't lose out!"). Obviously there are gradients here (like, a joke about masturbation versus a very specific concept like sadness bowls) but I'm pretty firmly against using someone else's work to make you seem funnier/smarter/wittier/whateverer than you really are.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Hey are fundamentally different things with fundamentally different drivers and substrates upon which they act.

Yes, I am fully aware of this, but they are isomorphic; they map to each other in a way that is not superficial and actually indicates a deeper relationship. It's like if I were comparing a person to their picture, and I was like "this is him" and you were like "this is clearly not him this is a piece of paper, they're entirely different things".

Variable wrote: »

I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

I don't believe you.

sry bro i guess i am carlos mencia about this

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Tav:

Yeah, sure.

Given your posts, DK's posts and Tav's posts, I don't think any of us are actually disagreeing about much.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I will go "was that from xyz" or "didn't they do something like that on"

maybe it's more normal amongst me and mine because we talk about comedy/jokes we like/etc aaaallllllllllllll the fucking time.

idk if there's a way for me to prove this. you can test me!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    My language wasn't exact with the accreditation thing. I don't care if someone says "oh that was a mitch joke" but going full on with "I haven't slept for ten days because that would be too long" and acting as if you came up with it, that is what I have a problem with.

Next time I do some basic addition to figure out how much I need to pay on the bill I'll make sure to name drop my 1st grade teacher.

Wouldn't want people to think that I am smarter than I really am.

edited March 2014
    @Echo how are you liking ESO, im kind of interested

bloodyroarxx on
    edited March 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

Noooooooooope.

edit: To actually address your point. You're in academia, right? How would you feel if someone used your work in an academic paper without citing it? How would you feel about using someone else's work without citing it?

Tav on
    i mean i would never lie and say 'yes i came up with this'... or like, if the conversation were specifically 'ok, come up with a good pun on this' or whatever? like a rare circumstance where it's mutually understood that we're ad-libbing? obvs i would qualify it then

but generally if it fits a moment that's ok. sometimes the other people are big on comedy and the same sort of media i am, and i don't have to credit it. but if they're not i don't try and squeeze it in. if everyone's laughing and there's a moment of nothing i might add 'yeah, the first time i heard that from someone i almost shit my pants' or whatever

but very often i don't attribute it, it would feel weird to i think for my conversational style

This discussion has been closed.