As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    if you're only talking setup->punchline jokes, not making jokes in conversation, I'd probably be more likely to assume it was from somewhere

and I'd ask where

and I couldn't answer you because most of the time, literally nobody knows, they're jokes, they get told and retold and they just live in the joke ether

who first thought of the joke about the swede with the cardoor in the desert? Who knows, because it's been said about every nationality out there.

if it was a joke like that I'd assume. there you go. ethnic jokes I wouldn't assume the person came up with, jokes that have been around forever or are thematic joke things (like the dead baby you mentioned)

this isn't what I've been talking about though. a 'joke' can mean a lot of different things to me.
    my uncle was out hunting this weekend with his friend and his friend got a sudden ailment - or "probably heart attack" as it really is for someone of his age and heft

my uncle calls emergency services rather out of it, at a half shout goes "my friend's dead! What do I do!"

"Okay, calm down, first we'll make sure that he is dead."

My uncle drops the phone and shoots his friend, and says

"okay, now what?"

well this is a joke, obviously

ftOqU21.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    'maybe my friends are funnier than your friends' is not a graceful thing to say, or helpful

i thought var was joking when he said it? actually meaning it is pretty obnoxious

I'm being entirely serious. It is strange to me to assume that funny things your friends say are taken from elsewhere because so much of my funny communication with friends is entirely natural. People come up with shit off the top of their head or present stories in funny ways and often say "oh that was a X line" or "oh that reminded me of Y" without ruining the conversation.

The situation you guys are presenting is entirely alien to me.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    yeah, that's it

when a joke is told the base assumption is almost always that the joke wasn't made up by the teller

this is fucking bizarre to me

if it's told with the formula of a joke - like with the conventional structure of a joke qua joke - it's assumed they read it somewhere or heard it somewhere

people rarely, if ever, have comedian-style jokes that are used during conversation. for most comedians the whole purpose is to make the rehearsal of the joke disappear, and to seem like they're naturally speaking on stage and just being hilarious. that level of forethought and preparation for normal social interaction is strange and atypical, so that method of joke-telling is rarely used (in my experience) in person.

Maybe my friends are just funnier than your friends? Even amongst my non-comedian friends, people will use funny similes or metaphores or whatever to drive the point home?

I mean, I'm not expecting everyone to communicate using only setup -> punchline, but just normal conversations are littered with things that are funny without being polished standup material.

my friends are definitely funnier than your friends.

but they don't sit down beforehand and make up jokes to use later on. that's what i mean by "comedian style jokes." they come up with it off the cuff. it's not a prepared performance.

it's pretty unusual for someone to use a funny analogy or absurd exaggeration, etc. in my experience, that they've cribbed from elsewhere.

they don't have to be anecdotes but still

a reference is never a joke

nor is a simile that makes people crack a smile

ftOqU21.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    The history of jokes is basically everybody re-telling jokes they heard.

And am I supposed to credit every scientist and teacher who taught me all the stuff I know?

Not just to say 'you should take some antibiotics for that' without crediting the inventors and researchers, and whoever my school biology teacher was?

Normal people are not comedians.

you and whoever agreed with this, if you actually think that's the same then there's no reason to keep talking.

also I'm gonna crib entire acts from comedians and just do em myself.

also reprint books and claim them as my own

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    My friends and I laughed at a lot of each other's jokes last night and approximately none of them were anything other than stories from our lives.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    'maybe my friends are funnier than your friends' is not a graceful thing to say, or helpful

i thought var was joking when he said it? actually meaning it is pretty obnoxious

I'm being entirely serious. It is strange to me to assume that funny things your friends say are taken from elsewhere because so much of my funny communication with friends is entirely natural. People come up with shit off the top of their head or present stories in funny ways and often say "oh that was a X line" or "oh that reminded me of Y" without ruining the conversation.

we're talking about "stealing jokes" right?

if somebody tells a structured joke that sounds rehearsed, the default assumption is that they're taking it from somewhere else. if it's off the cuff, the assumption is that they came up with it.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

and that's nice

do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

well I don't care if it ruins the flow, but I also said you can say where it came from after! even after everyone laughs. you need not ruin the flow, but I also think that's secondary to not acting like you came up with something you didn't.

it's this part that is odd to me

if you're having a conversation with someone and they say something that makes you laugh- is your natural assumption, if they don't credit it, that they are claiming authorship?

that is i think the crux of this disagreement

if there is nothing stating otherwise I assume the person came up with what they are saying to me

there's a loooooooooong tradition of things as simple as "ever hear the one about the _____"

I wanna be rude and say that you're kinda stupid if you can't figure it out without that

but maybe I dunno, a minor cultural thing

it's like, I don't have to say, here's a joke, to make it apparent that I am telling a joke

I'm not following this. have you never come up with a joke?

No because coming up with jokes, like explicitly a joke jokes, is not something normal people do

It's something comedians do because they are broken :P

And am I supposed to credit every scientist and teacher who taught me all the stuff I know?

Not just to say 'you should take some antibiotics for that' without crediting the inventors and researchers, and whoever my school biology teacher was?

i have definitely used lines, or modified lines, from comedy acts that i like in mid conversation, but it doesn't seem very common

and if i get a big laugh, you know what, i almost always say "i can't take credit for that line though..." and say where it's from

one of these posts gets it

take a guess which one

I was being sarcastic I guess. I cannot understand an outlook that responds to a friend's humor by assuming it was unoriginal

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

my assumption isn't that everythign my friends say is recycled. plenty of it is right from their brains; some of it isn't. the argument i'm presenting is this:

1) if someone makes me laugh in a really organic, immediate way i assume it is from them

2) if someone has a 'told' joke- a setup, a story or whatever, more a presentation than an off comment- i assume it is from some other source. maybe they like to think up 'standup jokes' in their downtime, and it is theirs. but my implicit reaction is they heard it somewhere. if i find it exceptionally funny (or exceptionally horrible) i might ask where it's from

3) if it's not one of the two obvious edge cases like above, i don't really assume either way. i have plenty of friends who i find very funny, so it wouldn't surprise me that they are ad-libbing very funny stuff. but i also don't have the expectation that they'll source every laugh, so maybe it isn't theirs? like with 2), if i find it super funny i might ask 'did you hear that somewhere?', so i can check out the comedian if they did. but mostly i just don't know and that is fine to me

edited March 2014
    speaking of jokes: I remember some scientists did some sciencing about jokes

found that the UK, australia and new zealand by and large had a preference for wordplay, americans liked ones about stupidity and mainland europe preferred ones about death disease and marriage

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

you and whoever agreed with this, if you actually think that's the same then there's no reason to keep talking.

I am not sure about you, but, I have not yet tried monetizing my conversations with my friends.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

you know creative expression and scientific fact aren't like, equivalent, right

what if it was someone sitting down with an instrument and "improvising" a a little bit of music?

I am not sure about you, but, I have not yet tried monetizing my conversations with my friends.

let me tell you, you're missing out

speaking of jokes: I remember some scientists did some sciencing about jokes

found that the UK, australia and new zealand by and large had a preference for wordplay, americans liked ones about stupidity and mainland europe preferred once about death disease and marriage

Japan loves puns and wordplays.

Which is not surprising given that their language is absolutely filled to the brim with homophones and has a very limited sound pool to work with.

i agree with Tav that if you take lines from a comedian's act and tell them as though you're coming up with off the cuff yourself, it's kind of disingenuous/dishonest?

like if i heard a guy saying Louis CK lines in conversation without talking about his act or explicitly saying "okay that came from a comedy act, let me be honest," i'd kind of lose respect for him

it rarely happens, to me, because it's hard to recall a line and connect it to the context of a separate conversation unless you're already clever enough to come up with your own stuff

I think the confusion here is that Tav is using a broader definition of "joke" - like, just saying funny things - as opposed a to a structured, rehearsed, performed line or series of lines.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Seriously, do you not get how jokes work? Why the phrase 'I've heard that one before' even exists? Or 'stop me if you've heard this one before'.

People just use the jokes they heard to make their friends laugh.

And 'maybe my friends are just funnier than yours' doesn't endear me to the speaker.

I figure I could take a bear.

if somebody tells a structured joke that sounds rehearsed, the default assumption is that they're taking it from somewhere else. if it's off the cuff, the assumption is that they came up with it.
    how would you define this?

Because if someone in my group of friends, for example, came up with calling KFC "sadness buckets" and riffed 3-4 lines about it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they came up with it themself. If they had just taken the Patton Oswalt bit and made it seem like they were riffing 3-4 lines about what we were eating in order to make themselves seem funnier, that is what I would have a problem with. It can be nigh on impossible to tell the difference because a lot of comedy is making it seem like you are being loose about what you're saying, rather than reading from a script

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Tav I didn't realise you had moved.

How are you adjusting to desert life?

I hear they make under garments that prevent sandy vagina. hth

Seriously, do you not get how jokes work? Why the phrase 'I've heard that one before' even exists? Or 'stop me if you've heard this one before'.

People just use the jokes they heard to make their friends laugh.

And 'maybe my friends are just funnier than yours' doesn't endear me to the speaker.

acting like stealing a joke is the same as knowing what medicine does didn't endear me to you either. but this is a discussion and that's okay!

I completely get how jokes work. I love, I fucking LOVE making my friends laugh. if I make them laugh by quoting someone else I let them know it.

but I direct you to EMs post about the different meanings of the word 'joke' being used right now that I think is leading to all this misunderstanding. at least some of it.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    yeah, that's it

when a joke is told the base assumption is almost always that the joke wasn't made up by the teller

this is fucking bizarre to me

if it's told with the formula of a joke - like with the conventional structure of a joke qua joke - it's assumed they read it somewhere or heard it somewhere

people rarely, if ever, have comedian-style jokes that are used during conversation. for most comedians the whole purpose is to make the rehearsal of the joke disappear, and to seem like they're naturally speaking on stage and just being hilarious. that level of forethought and preparation for normal social interaction is strange and atypical, so that method of joke-telling is rarely used (in my experience) in person.

Maybe my friends are just funnier than your friends? Even amongst my non-comedian friends, people will use funny similes or metaphores or whatever to drive the point home?

I mean, I'm not expecting everyone to communicate using only setup -> punchline, but just normal conversations are littered with things that are funny without being polished standup material.

my friends are definitely funnier than your friends.

but they don't sit down beforehand and make up jokes to use later on. that's what i mean by "comedian style jokes." they come up with it off the cuff. it's not a prepared performance.

it's pretty unusual for someone to use a funny analogy or absurd exaggeration, etc. in my experience, that they've cribbed from elsewhere.

Yes this exactly. Of course when talking to each other we'll use humor to tell stories.

But, like not only have none of my friends even stolen a funny story from a comedian, it would be appear instantly to be very out of place if they even tried. Because I know them well enough that if they stole a story from any comedian it just wouldn't fit. It wouldn't fit their life, it wouldn't fit how they tell stories and or even the way they form thoughts/sentences. It would be so weirdly out of place.

Also my friends are not assholes who try to present other peoples funny stories as their own because they are not shitty and weird people.

Ludious wrote: »
    Tav I didn't realise you had moved.

How are you adjusting to desert life?

I hear they make under garments that prevent sandy vagina. hth

I love this post. You're the best. <3

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    what are you nerds even

I guess, also, I just could not care less if one of my friends is straight stealing jokes from a comedian. If they are delivering with good timing, at good times in the conversation, and making me laugh? I do not care a single bit. I mean if they are just rattling off a comedians stand up routine for no reason, well, that is awkward conversation.

My friend's aren't professional comedians, they aren't going to go on stage, they aren't going to try to make money off of the jokes, the comedian who came up with the joke has zero impact on their life from this.

I see no reason to care at all.

Because if someone in my group of friends, for example, came up with calling KFC "sadness buckets" and riffed 3-4 lines about it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they came up with it themself. If they had just taken the Patton Oswalt bit and made it seem like they were riffing 3-4 lines about what we were eating in order to make themselves seem funnier, that is what I would have a problem with. It can be nigh on impossible to tell the difference because a lot of comedy is making it seem like you are being loose about what you're saying, rather than reading from a script

for sure, i'm just talking about the assumptions

if it sounds like they're repeating something, like it has a fixed conventional structure they're following, if it sounds very deliberate, that's a capital-J Joke. I assume they read it somewhere or something.

if it's natural, i would assume they're coming up with it themselves

as I said, if I know they aren't coming up with it, but they present it as though they are, it's kind of icky

i don't think it's immoral, as long as they're not monetizing it, but it's kind of scummy? like dishonestly posturing as being funnier than you are? it's a fine line though.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I...planted a rose garden today

and built a retaining wall for it

....everything hurts

oh jesus everything hurts

I beg your pardon

Lh96QHG.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

you know creative expression and scientific fact aren't like, equivalent, right

what if it was someone sitting down with an instrument and "improvising" a a little bit of music?

Neither is it music, though.

I should never have broken my rule against analogies.

They never work.

I think I am having a generation gap moment. I grew up in a low-communication world with an oral culture, where 'IP' didn't even exist as a common term.

People just told jokes. Some were original, some were not. Nobody cared.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

this is something I legitimately do not understand

are we assigned to funniness-castes now

are Level III Funniers not allowed to have children with Level I Funniers

I guess, also, I just could not care less if one of my friends is straight stealing jokes from a comedian. If they are delivering with good timing, at good times in the conversation, and making me laugh? I do not care a single bit. I mean if they are just rattling off a comedians stand up routine for no reason, well, that is awkward conversation.

My friend's aren't professional comedians, they aren't going to go on stage, they aren't going to try to make money off of the jokes, the comedian who came up with the joke has zero impact on their life from this.

your friends are scummy social leeches and you are forever tainted by their hollow facsimile of humor and wit

i am sick at the very thought

i spit on your honour and the honour of your family

this I can't argue with

but me?

that would piss me off. maybe I value a strong sense of humor too much but someone using someone else's work to pass themselves off as funny and creative is fucked up to me. it may not be monetary, but there is something of value they are earning through dishonesty.

for sure, i'm just talking about the assumptions

if it sounds like they're repeating something, like it has a fixed conventional structure they're following, if it sounds very deliberate, that's a capital-J Joke. I assume they read it somewhere or something.

if it's natural, i would assume they're coming up with it themselves

as I said, if I know they aren't coming up with it, but they present it as though they are, it's kind of icky

i don't think it's immoral, as long as they're not monetizing it, but it's kind of scummy? like dishonestly posturing as being funnier than you are?
    it's a fine line though.

yeah, this is what I'm trying to get across. Obviously it's something I take a bit more seriously than other people, but i'd like to think this is the way most people feel? I dunno, I'm not exactly impartial

here I agree

if you tell a joke - and well, using "sadness buckets" and using the same lines to riff on it, isn't what I'd call tell a joke, it's just, well, riffing on it and being amusing, except super sad because you're doing conversation on a stolen script and pretending not to

but the point is in normal conversation if I tell a joke then I don't try hard to make it seem like I am being loose about what I'm saying

because I'm not a comedian and it's a normal conversation

ftOqU21.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i really don't find it that onerous to go "there's this one Louis CK bit I really like..."

i don't know about you guys but i'm usually not like rapid firing jokes off other people that oh noes the timing is going to be ruined if i cite it

and hey maybe you'll get them into louis ck! now you have another thing to talk about!

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i'm out of mio.

This is truly hell.

simonwolf wrote: »

you don't think some people are funnier than others ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

being funny is definitely a big component of people's identity - like, say, 90% of the people in chat at any given time - and i definitely have less respect for people (or rather, their wit) who are directly cribbing lines from other people without saying they are?

even if it's not from a comedian. even if it's a joke you read on a forum and you don't say "it's like this guy said..." or something beforehand.

it's not some enormous moral issue or anything but it's kind of a minor matter of principle?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Miner? I hardly knew her!

Lh96QHG.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.