As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    GT racing is the proverbial. I want to see more of it.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The only kind of motorcycle I'd ever want would be a WW2 Harley WLA

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i one time almost got a honda rebel from a relative

i don't know if that's a good bike but it was very appealing to a broke ass 20 year old who needed transportation

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Apparently Chevy is stopping all sales on the 1.4L Cruze. Won't say why.

a5ehren wrote: »

because they are awful shit most likely

and are also deathtraps

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Thinking of buying a used 2003 Subaru WRX (Bugeye oh yeah) and the inspection from the reputable shop everyone uses says the inner CV boots are leaking on both fronts.

Last time I did anything with CV boots, it was on an 87 Grand Am, and it was the outer boot that was split wide open. My dad and I just replaced the whole half-shaft with a rebuilt. Lot of work, but cheap parts.

So with it being inner CV boot, am I fucked if I buy the car? I haven't got a personal look at the car yet since it's a 3 hour drive away.

EDIT: Ignore my goosery here. It's just like the old CV boot problem. Remove half-shaft and rectfy as needed. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

So you don't want to actually ride it, just look at the pile of parts in a perpetual state of being repaired?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

because they are awful shit most likely

and are also deathtraps

They must be selling a different model car under the Cruze name to the one on the market here in Australia then. Except I thought they weren't. The Cruze here is quite highly regarded, I mean, it's not a Jetta or Mazda 3, but it's still a good car and excellent value, and crash tests quite well.

i've had bad experiences with low end chevys

they just had a massive safety scandal on the cobalt which was turrrrrible, so I expect this is about something similar

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

So you don't want to actually ride it, just look at the pile of parts in a perpetual state of being repaired?

Yup!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Jasconius wrote: »
    i've had bad experiences with low end chevys

they just had a massive safety scandal on the cobalt which was turrrrrible, so I expect this is about something similar

I just looked at the Wikipedia article and it seems like there have been a few big recalls most likely due to lax manufacturing standards at the assembly plants in the US. Also, it was quite funny to read the motorsport section and find out that the guys I used to watch in the old BTCC series on late night tv well over a decade ago are still mixing it up in the newer series. Rydell, Plato, Menu et. al...

edited March 2014
    the chevy cobalt redefines lax standards

the one i drove had a tire rub, but no worries because the interior surface of the wheel well seemed to me made of some sort of weird papery substance, so it just destroyed the wheel well instead of the tire

Jasconius on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Lift Kit received!

Lift.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    rained out of the saturday races... tornado warning evacuated the whole track. couldn't even hang out in the paddock. balls.

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    Got the heated grips and handguards installed on the new motorcycle. Thankfully, there's a grip heat connector already in the wiring harness. Unfortunately, you have to take off all front and tank plastics, then unbolt the radiator to even be able to see it. From a company that thoughtfully puts a switched power connector right behind the fairing, that was unexpected.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think I heard something on the radio about Chevy Cruzes and how something potentially life-threatening was covered up for years.

Yeah apparently vehicles assembled in the US have a habit of sometimes catching fire. Not good.

Yeah apparently vehicles assembled in the US have a habit of sometimes catching fire. Not good.

Yeah but the new Porsches do that too so it's not just the US...

The GT3 RS? That's a modification of an existing model. The Cruzes built in the US are virtually identical to the Cruzes built in Australia, except for the driver on the wrong side. GM have specifically called it out as an assembly quality problem anyway.

If I recall correctly, weren't there a few Ferrari 458s burning to the ground as well?

edited March 2014
    The GT3 RS? That's a modification of an existing model. The Cruzes built in the US are virtually identical to the Cruzes built in Australia, except for the driver on the wrong side. GM have specifically called it out as an assembly quality problem anyway.

If I recall correctly, weren't there a few Ferrari 458s burning to the ground as well?

A few Ferrari's. But yeah, the GM thing is much larger.

Librarian's ghost on

Ha, so I read up on the Porsche fire thing.

The engine plant fucked up, and conrods are coming loose, punching holes in engine blocks, and oil is spraying onto red hot exhaust manifolds.

It's not something simple like an oil line needing re-routing, they are going to have to replace every affected engine entirely.

There goes how many tens of millions of dollars?

Ha, so I read up on the Porsche fire thing.

The engine plant fucked up, and conrods are coming loose, punching holes in engine blocks, and oil is spraying onto red hot exhaust manifolds.

It's not something simple like an oil line needing re-routing, they are going to have to replace every affected engine entirely.

There goes how many tens of millions of dollars?

AHAHAHAH that is a pretty serious problem. All I knew about it was from Top Gear this season as Richard Hammond owned one of the cars and the other guys were giving him endless shit about it bursting into flames.

On the upside, maybe they'll sell all the as-yet unbroken exchanged motors with the parts required to make them good cheaply for motorsports enthusiasts to buy in an effort to recuperate some of the cost?

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Teslas like to burst into flames as well

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Teslas like to burst into flames as well

Not exactly the same problem...like, at all.

There are very few reports of fires in Teslas, and especially few outside of those in very serious accidents that might have caused a gasoline engine fire as well.

Also they apparently just upped the under body armor to protect the battery more.

GT3, there is no new GT3 RS yet. And yea, some early 458s burnt up, something about the glue holding the wheel well guard in place or something.

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Took my new bike for my first real ride in the twisties today

I am officially in love!

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
    went to St. Pete indy GP today. don't think I'll go back. i don't if it's just this street course are all street courses, but the spectating angles were absolutely terrible. I left 15 laps into the indy race.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I feel like I might be the thread's sole F1 fan but man this season has been rough to watch. I know it sounds like whinging but I legit hate the new engine noise. The turbo spool is great, but they just don't spin fast enough to make that proper whine.

i watch every F1 race on DVR. the noise doesn't matter that much to me. the racing has been good enough and will be better when a few more of the middle-tier teams can keep their cars on the track

the lower downforce aero packages and quirky braking has been causing the drivers to tangle it up a little more

last year the cars were a little too on-rails

i believe next year they will raise or remove the RPM limits. It's the sensible thing to do. otherwise it's a spec race + custom winglets

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    That is a sensible post with things I haven't thought to consider.

I'm a fan, I watch em. The engines have a rev limiter of 15k RPM which will be retained, but at the moment most of the teams are limiting to about 12.5k RPM to limit engine problems. Personally I still complain that they banned refuelling, I liked that aspect of the strategy. I'd prefer to see refuelling allowed but a somewhat moderate limit on the rate of fuelling that is allowed or something. Still means that fuel burn rate is a concern but means that teams can be allowed to thrash it when it's called for. I miss the banzai 'do 20 quali laps' that we used to get when a driver needed to get a dang move on.

I think limiting fuel was a mistake. Now, limiting the size of the fuel tank, that would have been more interesting. Make it 40 litres maximum capacity and see where each team goes re: mental horsepower & 7 pitstops in the race, or a slower car but only 1 pitstop in the race...

Massive performance differences are dangerous (especially in a wet race) but these things will always even out to what works best anyway. I like that teams used to at least have that option - I think the current rules but with a less restrictive fuel flow rate and allowing refuelling would be fine, just as long as we can go back to radio messages with 'push push push' rather than 'fuel burn good, maintain current levels' - it sounds like NASA launching a shuttle nowadays.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The NBC commentators were speculating that the factory Mercedes team were running their engines at the full 15,000 RPM's, but the feed never showed the RPM, brake/gas, gear, etc graphic during the race.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn they had done, at least to start with, given their performance over the rest of the field. They were being told to turn the engine down somewhat toward the end of the race too.

I really just want F1 to go oldschool. 3.5 litre naturally aspirated V12 engines limited to 12,000 RPM with inlet restrictors to limit maximum horsepower like in the WRC so the engineers have to design and tune for maximum responsiveness and torque absolutely everywhere, or the cars will just stop accelerating after they reach a certain speed.

Limit the aero downforce to exactly half the weight of the car, i.e. if your fully fuelled and ready to race car weighs 500 kilograms without the driver in it, then in aero loadbed testing before the round, the maximum downforce over the whole chassis at any speed is limited to 250 kilograms. No more of this "oh hey the car could drive on the ceiling of a tunnel at 160km/h wothout falling off bullshit.

The tyres really ought to be lower profile, too. No more "6mm of suspension travel, we'll let the sidewalls soak up the bumps". That's crap.

Pirelli wanted to move to lower profile tyres when they came on board, but it was quashed due to the cost of completely re-engineering the suspension. For one thing they might have to move to using actual springs.

Red Bull is already in fuel trouble and they haven't even hit peak power yet

I really don't think the problems in F1 are that unsolveable. If they had two more well funded teams it would be a fantastic series. And they are already in talks to add another one soon

I think they could lower the sidewalls today with no real impact. All that would change is Alonso wouldn't be able to driver over turf to get his car to turn. They are hyper aggressive on the rumble strips

This discussion has been closed.