As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, March 31, 2014 - Volt Hunters

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• doctajonezdoctajonez Registered User new member
    That hair in the second panel!

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It seems Gabe is a Saiyan.

• TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    Remember those trolls from the 90s?

uGn5f.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    This goes quite nicely with today's PATV episode.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I like the Gabe face in this one. Child-Gabe always weirded me out, especially when adult themes were at play.

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    I love the shot implying his gratuitous grooming habits are the root cause of the issue!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The punny title is pretty great.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Do power companies really do this? Doesn't you using more power just mean more $$$ for them? As long as you pay your bill I would think their position would be "Go on using as much juice as you want, baby."

Maybe this is a Washington state thing.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Do power companies really do this? Doesn't you using more power just mean more $$$ for them? As long as you pay your bill I would think their position would be "Go on using as much juice as you want, baby."

Some areas have a demand for power rapidly outstripping what they can supply.

I'm pretty sure that's usually when they send letters like this out.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

We have something like this in Nova Scotia. Technically the letters here are from a group called 'Efficiency Nova Scotia', but they're funded by the power company.

In a lot of areas, they're set up to provide x amount of power for any given time based on a number of factors, because they have to determine generating costs and such in advance. If they estimate that they should generate a certain amount, and then people use way more than that, they sometimes have to buy capacity from other markets, which they make a lot less money on, because they're paying more for it, but are still charging you the same rate.
    A lot of power companies also tend to get involved in clean power initiatives, which favors lower use.

TubularLuggage on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

At least around here, even when you use less power they just get the state to authorize them to charge you more for it, so they can still make their money. But if they can do that AND cut down on your power consumption, that's free money for them!

What is this I don't even.
  • CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular

I know in the Phoenix area the power companies want more efficient homes since they have to run high demand facilities more in the summer and the energy produced at these facilities costs more per kW:h than the baseline coal/hydro powerplants. They can also sell excess power to the neighboring states usually for more than they can sell to the local residents since the cost is regulated by the state.

• JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular

Some areas have a demand for power rapidly outstripping what they can supply.

I'm pretty sure that's usually when they send letters like this out.

They definitely do that in NY as well. A friend of mine has a fully electric car that he charges in his garage. He showed me almost exactly the wording in the first panel a few months ago and we laughed about it. He's not a PA person, but he's definitely getting emailed a link to this comic. :)

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    SF Bay Area has this problem as well. the local electric/gas utility is PG&E, and for poorly understood reasons (POLITICS AND INCOMPETENT MANAGEMENT), they are constantly unable to purchase out of market power when local electricity generation is insufficient. that's happening a lot more now with the Bay Area being tech startup central.

i've been getting quite a few notices now about how to reduce power usage.

edit: i wish i could get electricity from Voltar, the Shocklord instead. would probably have better customer service, too!

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edit: i wish i could get electricity from Voltar, the Shocklord instead. would probably have better customer service, too!

Yeah but it's like a country club, you meet a lot of resistance when trying to sign up.

MichaelLC wrote: »

Yeah but it's like a country club, you meet a lot of resistance when trying to sign up.

at least the staff will know watt they are talking about in their field.

ffNewSig.png
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Vegeta hair.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You displease Voltar at your own peril.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Chalk up a Tychpo in the second panel! Is he still donating money to CP for them?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

That does make a good case for switching power companies.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I know PGE out here charges you mroe for the power you use above the average for your area.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Chalk up a Tychpo in the second panel! Is he still donating money to CP for them?
    Where?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It seems Gabe is a Saiyan.
    G6Lf4dP.gif

YL9WnCY.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Where?
    What are we supposed do about it?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ceasing to curry favor with Voltar is hardly a sound long term investment.

Dude will wreck your shit.

Since it's well established a picture is worth a certain number of words. Mike should donate 1000 time what Jerry does whenever he makes and art goof.

Cabezone wrote: »
    I know PGE out here charges you mroe for the power you use above the average for your area.

That is a sweet racket, overcharging 1/2 your customers.

That does make a good case for switching power companies.

yeah, the current utility monopoly just blows my fuse.

ffNewSig.png
  • SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    This is the funniest strip I've seen in a while! nice

steam_sig.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »

That is a sweet racket, overcharging 1/2 your customers.

Yeah, what? That's mathematically unconscionable.

• ButterfrogButterfrog Registered User regular
    Unplugg some of the Arcades... :D

• likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    We got a letter that says the exact same thing. I guess it's because we keep our meat & condiments in one fridge, our produce & leftovers in another fridge, & all of our drinks in another fridge. (Extended family).