As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    try paxquestions@reedexpo.com

they are supposed to go to the same place but maybe some are getting bounced for some reason.

• misterwitmisterwit Registered User new member
    edited March 2014
    Someone I know from work handed me a 3-pass today after a family emergency interrupted his plans to attend. I have another friend I can take along with this ticket now and I just want to make sure its the real deal before I tow him 9 hours up to Boston. I don't doubt my friend, but I don't know for sure how he got the ticket and I just HAVE to be sure. Is there ANY way I can tell if this pass is real? It looks and feels like the same quality as my passes from the last 2 years ( I still have them all), but I don't have a UV light to check for the little thingy they put in them, nor do I know if there's supposed to be one this year. If I can't be sure, it's gonna be a wasted pass :(

misterwit on
  • DeiserDeiser Registered User regular
    I'm incredibly worried. I've not received my badges, but unlike mcs2319 (and I assume others), when I check on showclix, the ticket order thing is blank. I had called them in February (thank god I had a confirmation email with the order ID) and they confirmed that I had them on order. I tried emailing showclix last Thursday and today but haven't gotten any word from them. The only two things I have as proof is my confirmation email and the actual charge to my card. What do I do?

Deiser wrote: »
    I'm incredibly worried. I've not received my badges, but unlike mcs2319 (and I assume others), when I check on showclix, the ticket order thing is blank. I had called them in February (thank god I had a confirmation email with the order ID) and they confirmed that I had them on order. I tried emailing showclix last Thursday and today but haven't gotten any word from them. The only two things I have as proof is my confirmation email and the actual charge to my card. What do I do?
    Email the address I just posted a few posts up

• JoveJove Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm also getting really worried. I haven't received my badges as of yet either and I live in CT.

If the worst case happens (please god no) that for any reasons my badges don't arrive, can I bring my conformation purchase email? :(

In my Showclix update, it says item is shipped...but it's still not here...Is it just shipped from the area and now coming to my mailbox or...?

Jove on
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    misterwit wrote: »
    Someone I know from work handed me a 3-pass today after a family emergency interrupted his plans to attend. I have another friend I can take along with this ticket now and I just want to make sure its the real deal before I tow him 9 hours up to Boston. I don't doubt my friend, but I don't know for sure how he got the ticket and I just HAVE to be sure. Is there ANY way I can tell if this pass is real? It looks and feels like the same quality as my passes from the last 2 years ( I still have them all), but I don't have a UV light to check for the little thingy they put in them, nor do I know if there's supposed to be one this year. If I can't be sure, it's gonna be a wasted pass :(

I don't think PA/Reed has ever revealed pass security features publicly (for obvious reasons), so nobody is able to tell you a 100% way to guarantee it. That being said, just ask your friend where the pass came from. If you really think someone you know from work is counterfeiting badges and just handing them out then I don't know what to say...
    Jove wrote: »
    I'm also getting really worried. I haven't received my badges as of yet either and I live in CT.

If the worst case happens (please god no) that for any reasons my badges don't arrive, can I bring my conformation purchase email? :(

In my Showclix update, it says item is shipped...but it's still not here...Is it just shipped from the area and now coming to my mailbox or...?

As has been mentioned previously (and even in the main FAQ), there's an e-mail address to e-mail if you don't receive your pass. Geography has nothing to do with when your pass will arrive and Showclix's "shipped" notification doesn't seem to be particularly reliable. The rule of thumb being suggested at this point is that if you don't receive your badge(s) by this Friday (4/4), to follow through with an e-mail.
    I didn’t receive my PAX Badges in the Mail!! What do I do?
    ... If your badge really is lost in the mail, email pax_questions@paxsite.com

If they can confirm an issue with your badges arriving they'll arrange for a pickup at will call with your order receipt and photo ID matching the purchaser's name (but they'll give you the info that you'll need in said e-mail if there is an issue so don't worry about it just yet).

JQ1qRPt.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Jove wrote: »

This happened to me once. Everything was fine. I contacted them in advance. Got a confirmation email. Morning of PAX opening, I took the purchase receipt email, and the one they sent acknowledging I didn't get my tickets to the window and was given replacements with zero hassle.

YoungFrey on
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    It's good to know they have hassle free contingencies for things like this!

• PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    Someone I know from work handed me a 3-pass today after a family emergency interrupted his plans to attend.:(

Unless this person bought the pass online or really hates you I think the probability of it being fake is very low.

• teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Politician wrote: »
    Someone I know from work handed me a 3-pass today after a family emergency interrupted his plans to attend.:(

Unless this person bought the pass online or really hates you I think the probability of it being fake is very low.

You could ask to see a copy of the showclix confirmation to at least know he purchased a pass himself...

• earendil87earendil87 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Okay, now I'm starting to freak out a little. I emailed them and they answered me saying there was a problem with my postal code and they haven't sent them. Weird thing is that in showclix the status says "shipped", but if it's true that they haven't sent them, even if they sent them right now there's a big chance that the badges won't arrive on time as I live in Spain. While I keep trying to solve this thing with them I need to know, do you think I'll have any problem whatever happens having my order receipt with me? could I get in trouble? is there any way to go to the BCEC (or wherever) before the convention and ask for help (I'll arrive at Boston on wednesday 9th)?

Edit: never mind, they finally answered and I'll pick them at the Will Call. Sorry if it's been said somewhere else but when is the Will Call?

earendil87 on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There should be an announcement on the Official PAX twitter as to when Will Call is open, but if it's anything like past years, it should be open by noon on Thursday.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    Will Call is right inside the front doors. You can't miss it. Big signs and everything. It might even be possible to pick it up Thursday night (that's when I've picked up my panelist badge; it might only be for panelists, press, and other special people though. Worth another email to ask if you're going to be there before Friday morning and want to avoid what I'm sure will be a big crush of people.).

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    I apologize if this has been asked already, but since the schedule is up, has the map been posted yet too?

• stocklettstocklett Registered User new member
    Is there any way I can find out the format of the Chivalry tournament that's going to be held in the PC tourney area?

PurpleSky wrote: »
    I apologize if this has been asked already, but since the schedule is up, has the map been posted yet too?
    official maps are in the guidebook. there are solid community maps in another thread.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Is the Roll for Diversity Hub and Lounge happening at East this year? I can't tell if that's changed shape or has just been dropped entirely.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • BrennRamblesBrennRambles Registered User new member
    For Pax East, the game tournaments, do you have to register way before or on site?

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    agoaj wrote: »
    Is the Roll for Diversity Hub and Lounge happening at East this year? I can't tell if that's changed shape or has just been dropped entirely.

Yes it's happening!!

I just spoke with Kristin Lindsay from PA who confirmed.

You can find it in room 102 next to the Badger Theatre! :)

Edit: You should also follow @zephsright on twitter! He's spearheading the project!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Is anyone else surprised that Nintendo and Sony aren't going to be there this year? Does anyone know why?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Is anyone else surprised that Nintendo and Sony aren't going to be there this year? Does anyone know why?

Scroll back a couple pages, they got nothing new to show. Anything they got that is ready for public consumption is already old news and the developments that could be shown would be better served by E3 then PAX.

Look for MS to capitalize on the opportunity.

Dolarrah on
  • revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    For Pax East, the game tournaments, do you have to register way before or on site?
    For both the tabletop and console tournaments, standard operating procedure is that signups start the morning of the event. Most of the console events have caps on the number of players, so if there's something you really want to participate in you should sign up early in the day just to be safe.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So is credit fine for use at PAX for merch and stuff or should I bring some cash with me instead?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I've found that most vendors at PAX take plastic, but cash will work always.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    One point in favor of bringing some cash with you is that if a vendor doesn't/can't take a card for whatever reason, you won't have to rely on the ATMs at the BCEC, which have in past years run out of cash on occasion.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm just nervous about carrying that much cash with me but I'll bring a little just in case.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I recommend wearing pants/shorts/whatever that has a pocket with buttons so you can walk through a crowd with a little more comfort

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    wrong post

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    I'm sure I missed this in the thread, but I can't seem to find it.
    Credit cards will be accepted at the merch booths... right?

I can bring cash if I need to, but if cards are an option I'd like to try to keep some space in my pockets.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    I think the gist was in general yes they do but due to spotty reception some chip readers/card swipes may not work. Cash on hand was indicated as a contingency in the event one encounters problems.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • SevencooperSevencooper Registered User new member
    Hi
    I recently rubbed my badge with my shirt sleeve and a part of the holographic sticker ( to the right of the center of the badge ) came off. Does this render the badge unusable or will it cause any problems upon arrival at PAX?

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    For those who were asking before official Pax tweeted that there will be bag checks at the entrance.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Hi
    I recently rubbed my badge with my shirt sleeve and a part of the holographic sticker ( to the right of the center of the badge ) came off. Does this render the badge unusable or will it cause any problems upon arrival at PAX?

I would not worry about it. I know all of my badges have had some degree of sticker wear and I have never had any sort of issue.

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Please note: bag checks are for weapons only, food/drink is ok, there are multiple entrances around the building, and every football stadium in America does this with a similar number of people entering all at once, as opposed to throughout the day.

PW0oFIs.png
  • schimmdogschimmdog Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm afraid of what the bag-checks will do to the lines at opening, but in the end it makes us safer.

schimmdog on
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So is credit fine for use at PAX for merch and stuff or should I bring some cash with me instead?

Just keep in mind that if you plan on buying retro games on the expo floor, do some research. There was a GREAT selection of games last year to pick from but almost all of them were very very overpriced as compared to what you could pay on ebay or Amazon. I've used this website in the past and I recommend it. http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

This space for rent
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    Hi

I would not worry about it. I know all of my badges have had some degree of sticker wear and I have never had any sort of issue.

I have 2nd-hand confirmation that it's probably not a problem.
    Explanation: In 2013 I gave an extra East badge to somebody, they rubbed it and damaged the sticker. They contacted PAX and were told it wasn't likely a problem. Makes me think this might be a common problem.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Unreliable internet keeps some of the lesser merchants from taking credit cards, you should bring some cash for those instances, but most high ticket items will be CC friendly

• schimmdogschimmdog Registered User regular
    My only worry is that bag checks will severely bottleneck or slow down entry at the start of the day.

• JoveJove Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Well this sucks. Still haven't received my badges currently. I have been to Pax East for the last three years and this has never happened to me before, why now? -_-

I sent out the email to the provided email address as posted here and i was given a reply to show the email and what not at the help desk when Pax opens.

Is there a phone number I could contact about this? And what is this Will Call I saw in this thread earlier? Is there a way I can get my badges a little earlier then the 11th so I don't have to be worried while being in line in the morning with a huge pack of people? :(

Jove on