As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 3/26/14: To beat back the night....and conquer death

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
New Avengers #16, not everything has to be so dour in the world of superheroes these days:
newavengers16a_zpsfcb726e7.jpg

newavengers16b_zpsfd25a529.jpg

newavengers16c_zps85beb086.jpg

The Rider is Batman and his name is Wayne, that's pretty in your eye, even for mimicking heroes.

newavengers16d_zps055f4426.jpg

newavengers16e_zpse687934b.jpg

Other planet is blown up, and that's the black priest mask, which makes me wonder if the Great Society is the originator of those dudes or if Norn (Dr. Fate) gets corrupted by them.

Avengers #27, kind of the mirror image of NA #16, but at the same time doing in six pages what it took six issues in Forever Evil:
avengers27a_zps23092941.jpg

avengers27b_zpsf70533b5.jpg

avengers27c_zps2a6987b1.jpg

avengers27d_zps062dc605.jpg

avengers27e_zps631574d4.jpg

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Isn't the limit 4 pages per book?

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Re: Avengers 27
    Is General Rogers black or is the palette just really limited and askew?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    He's not black.

Oh my god, Superior Spider-Man 30. Superior Spider-Man 30, you guys.
    "My turn."

Re. New Avengers 16
    Another possibility with Norn and the Black Priest masks - Norn is a genuine good guy who can use the same powers that they do. That's why he called up duplicates of himself - the powers that the Black Priests use can only be used by multiple people working together. He's just got the strength of will to resist using them for evil. The masks have something to do with it, since he banishes his original helm to wear them.

I hope it's that, and not something depressing like 'our Justice League expys are secretly evil!' like is so often the case. Also hope they don't die horribly either, which is another thing that happens often.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Guardians of the Galaxy

I guess the big development with Jean from the past was cool, but my favorite moment was Star-Lord
    casually sliding Kitty a space cell phone like, "holler at a player."
    2Ix37zVl.jpg

I think the Slott-Allred Silver Surfer is promising. The silver surfer helps an unknown world. On earth there's a seemingly-unremarkable bed and breakfast.
    dzwEdF2l.jpg

desc on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Isn't the limit 4 pages per book?

I thought it was three!

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I bid one dollar.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    desc wrote: »
    Guardians of the Galaxy

I guess the big development with Jean from the past was cool, but my favorite moment was Star-Lord
    2Ix37zVl.jpg

I had never considered it before, but now I am definitely
    shipping Kitty/Star-Lord. And we know Ms. Pryde has a thing for people named Peter.

Tomanta on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Guardians of the Galaxy

2Ix37zVl.jpg

I had never considered it before, but now I am definitely
    shipping Kitty/Star-Lord. And we know Ms. Pryde has a thing for people named Peter.

OTP

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Sandman Overture part 2 is...well, really, really late, but there are some masterful compositions going on in this book.

It's not exactly some kind of secret that JH Williams III goes all out a lot of the time, in terms of making unconventional and over the top page work-even if he wasn't actually drawing the work, just planning these layouts, it would still be startling and noteworthy. Just a lot of really good stuff, watching standard rectangular frames transition into globular stuff with negative spacing becoming other frames and then rolling back into standard framing, all in a single page. There is a spectacular cutaway of an abandoned asylum that is rife with surreal anatomy that also services the sequential art of the characters walking through this same location.

Granted, this sort of stuff doesn't work on everybody, and I'm not saying it's mindblowing, amazing stuff. But I am saying it's really, really well done, and you can tell a serious amount of work was put into this book in a way that manages to do a good job of justifying the delays.

The story itself? Well. There is some. Things happen. Symbols appear in panels that are likely to become more plot-centric as this thing moves forward. Dream has a discussion with an entity based off some Hebraic apocrypha, a metaphor is unrolled to describe the event underpinning this story, and there seems to be some of Neil Gaiman's prior Dream stuff at play here
    The indication is that there is yet another scorned woman in Dream's past, or something not too far from those lines.
    It looks like the telling of this will pay off well, however; and in the art, again, is very nice. Likely nicer in a final collected volume, but I really don't mind picking these separate issues up in the meantime.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The Transformers - Dark Cybertron Finale, and if I can change...
    sr6DlAp.jpg

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wha....that image would have blown away my 12 year old self.

That would have blown every 12 year old mind.

Hell let's be honest......for us old timers it's still pretty mind blowing no matter our age.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Wait...
    Didn't Megatron already change to an Autobot logo when he came back? Because I see his old Decepticon logo in that pick

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I love that transformers page...but, then again, wouldn't that effectively, say, 'seal the breach' and lead to the end of this whole robot war? It's such a thematically strong idea to go that way, it's kind of a shame that this kind of development just can't last.

The one big issue I got that makes me find it hard to accept is.......he lead the four million year war that killed millions(billions?) of their own people, destroyed their planet for a time, took over and destroyed countless other world and civilizations and the last time he was free he was still up to doing so.

You got to admit.........that's asking a lot to forgive for. Especially when he's had no issue blowing you apart before.

I love that transformers page...but, then again, wouldn't that effectively, say, 'seal the breach' and lead to the end of this whole robot war? It's such a thematically strong idea to go that way, it's kind of a shame that this kind of development just can't last.

Why not?

The collective popular opinion dosen't give two shits about what happens in Transformer's comics.

Hell, the only reason why I know about them is because Anti is the John the Baptist of Transformer comics. I honestly don't see how it CAN'T since it's been critically recieved so well.

Besideds, "sealing the breech" means transitioning from a World War 2 period of open hostility, to more of a "War on Terror/Cold War" period for the Transformers, which opens up a whole slew of storytelling possibilities.

You can have Autobot's as villians, Decepticons as hero's, factions, hell, you can even have an Autobot/Decepticon colilition that work together in order to start the war again. And you can do so without having to write characters massivley out of character.

Besides, you know what's going to be amazing?

Starscream inevitably fucking up his Presidency, trying to start the war again, and then both sides going, "Nah, you did something good here, no thanks".

It's a given Starscream is going to find what he always wanted is not what he wants.

Half the fun is watching him being miserable about it.

All-New Ghost Rider #1: Robbie gets in on some illegal street racing. The art in this book is just gorgeous.
    DZm1kom.png
    8Jya8DH.png
    cXGY41c.png

Iron Patriot #1: Rhodey gives his mission statement.
    D3opeNB.png
    LMhthUe.png
    It3Cyo9.png

So how did he go part robot to part human again anyways?

That whole situation seemed weird.

It was back during Greg Pak's run. Somebody grew a clone body for him and transferred his mind into it. I forget the specifics.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Comics, everybody!

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    There is literally nothing funnier than a straight retelling of plot events in a comic character's life.

Boiling down like a 10 year arc to "John Jameson was briefly a wolf-man space-god before renting an apartment in New York."

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

oh, the war has been over for a couple years now
    megatron tried to restart it but failed
    then shockwave tried starting shit and dark cybertron happened

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    There is literally nothing funnier than a straight retelling of plot events in a comic character's life.

Boiling down like a 10 year arc to "John Jameson was briefly a wolf-man space-god before renting an apartment in New York."

"His family killed by mob crossfire, Vietnam veteran Frank Castle is executed by the state, resurrected as Heaven's agent, then sliced into pieces by Wolverine's illegitimate son only to be revived as a Frankenstein's monster, all while waging a one man war on crime!"

kyrcl.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

"His family killed by mob crossfire, Vietnam veteran Frank Castle is executed by the state, resurrected as Heaven's agent, then sliced into pieces by Wolverine's illegitimate son only to be revived as a Frankenstein's monster, all while waging a one man war on crime!"
    And now he's in L.A. with a few days to kill. :D

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Hot damn but the new Moon Knight is pretty.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

"The lone product of a 1940s super-soldier experiment, Steve Rogers vanished into the frozen waters of the Arctic while on a mission against the Axis. Found, thawed, and revived decades later, Rogers went on to become...a werewolf."

8aVThp6.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Batman/Captain America had a teenage sidekick who died, but was later revealed to be alive, but briefly an enemy.
    Batman/Captain America later wound up presumed dead, but in fact was lost in time. Batman's/Captain America's former sidekick went on to take up the mantle while he was gone, and for sometime afterwards.

Undead Scottsman on
    Both side kicks also came back at nearly the same time.

Regular joe is pleased to find out his blind ex-girlfriend, who was stolen by his flashy "best friend", is a shape-shifting alien.

kyrcl.png
    edited April 2014
    "Regular joe is pleased to find out his blind ex-girlfriend, who was stolen by his flashy "best friend", is a shape-shifting alien."

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My Motw, these arriving!
    1966047_10152858068381091_6362310203996547996_o.jpg
    1980159_10152858068271091_2595101272595434747_o.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508