As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Awwwww Yissssss

nWoD

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Oh god the D&D assignments are up.

i no have game to run

abloo abloo

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Oh lord

My boss is on an April fools' spree and trying to prank our two national
    Sales managers who are working on the road this week

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    419px-William_Notman_studios_-_Sitting_Bull_and_Buffalo_Bill_%281895%29_edit.jpg

Damn otherkin.

this might be the most offensive thing posted in chat ever
    It's just unfair to make a statement like that without @Ludious present.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    i think i was probably a bit rude in interview and debrief yesterday

think i made the candidate nervous

he started out promising and then started fucking up and i was like wtfffff i thought u were good

but he sort of saved it so he was definitely good enough and i suspect the fuckups were just communication issues

sig.gif
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Spoiled for some indirect bragging.
    My wife just got a research grant, and the panelists who reviewed her application sent back a summary of why they think my wife and her research are great.

I'm not fighting back tears of pride and joy, no sir.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    That Forbes article, was it actual Forbes or was it in that section that's basically a blog?

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am betting that the helicopter parents crashing a job interview is not actually a thing. It probably happened like once, they had some pages to fill, and hey presto an article about it being a thing.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    desc wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

This must be a late-period millennial thing. I was born in 1986 and have never heard of this, ever. Fuckin' 90s kids.

I've heard of it as a fable, or old wives tale. Not even remotely as "everyone has had this happen once". The article says anyone after 81 is a mellinial, which be born shortly after that, didn't consider myself as one.

I always feel like each generation as conceived in pop culture is too long and encompasses many different mini-eras.

Did kids who grew up watching scratched Jurassic Park DVDs have the same millennial experience as kids who were downloading entire seasons of cartoons on their parents' massive bandwidth connections?

Yeah. Like, our first modem was a 14.4. I remember stepping up to 28.8, 56.6, etc as big deals. Then we got cable internet and it was mind blowing.

But there are people in my same "generation" who never heard the modem dial tone.

Or my wife works with kids, and they ask her what the hell she's talking about when she says she's going to "tape" something on TV. They have no concept of pre-DVR or on-demand times. But I guess those are mostly post-millennials by now.

a5ehren on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i have to talk to a baptist minister in a couple minutes about setting up his SEO program

'so uh, what words would you like to rank for? how about.....'Jesus' ?

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

This must be a late-period millennial thing. I was born in 1986 and have never heard of this, ever. Fuckin' 90s kids.

Who the fuck even does this, really? Is this a thing?

i mean, i guess it's a perverse extension of the "parents who do their children's homework" thing, so it makes sense i guess?

in any case i dont see how someone who shows up to an interview with their parent, or relies on their parent to negotiate a salary, or etc, is in any way employable

Isn't China like, big into this? Like the new middle class is wildly overcompensating in trying to get their kids to succeed?

Bogart wrote: »
    I am betting that the helicopter parents crashing a job interview is not actually a thing. It probably happened like once, they had some pages to fill, and hey presto an article about it being a thing.
    also april fools.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    419px-William_Notman_studios_-_Sitting_Bull_and_Buffalo_Bill_%281895%29_edit.jpg

Damn otherkin.

It's just unfair to make a statement like that without Ludious present.

nah

ludious is just crass most of the time and his jokes are much more personal

dude just insulted an entire ethnicity of mostly dead people on like 6 levels

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I know the basics: Buy gadgets and maybe katanas and possibly be a troll, then perform heists.

The dice rolling is the hard part.

This is the story behind every thing which is not actually a thing

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    lol if you type in the term 'jesus' and his city name then the first 10 results are all the LDS church

'lol sorry bro what can i say they have a good website, have you tried reading the book of mormon?'

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    i have to talk to a baptist minister in a couple minutes about setting up his SEO program

'so uh, what words would you like to rank for? how about.....'Jesus' ?
    Salvation?

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Awwwww Yissssss

nWoD

that system can be super great

the one kosh is running is like a novel or something we are all super invested in our characters as characters and their arcs and stuff

sig.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    also april fools.

It's from last year, I think.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hey guys remember when Socrates was all "writing is the worst possible thing"

lol if you type in the term 'jesus' and his city name then the first 10 results are all the LDS church

'lol sorry bro what can i say they have a good website, have you tried seeing the book of mormon?'

FTFY

I know the basics: Buy gadgets and maybe katanas and possibly be a troll, then perform heists.

The dice rolling is the hard part.

i haven't read all of fifth but basics are

roll pool of d6s

success of 5+

count number of 1s rolled, if higher than successes you have a critical glitch

the number of dice you roll is attribute + skill to a max of some arbitrary limit

there is a little more than that, but those are the basics

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Damn otherkin.

nah

All races consist of mostly dead people.

*Mind blown*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Delmain wrote: »

'lol sorry bro what can i say they have a good website, have you tried seeing the book of mormon?'

FTFY

nice.

sig.gif
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

My dad actually screwed up one of my job applications by walking into some office and demanding that people listen to his explanation about why I am great and why they should hire me.

I had a decent chance of interviewing with that office before then!

He still doesn't understand that what he did hurt my chances.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

Damn otherkin.

nah

*Mind blown*

who was talking about race

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    So there is an otherkin living in my neighborhood.

Walking home from grocery store yesterday, fairly good looking guy, cares about grooming (had a good haircut, clean shaven) then I saw the fox ears. And the long jacket which was covering the fursuit... and the tail poking out from the back from the split in the jacket...

I am not picking on the guy per se, but I still find the shit hilarious and sad at the same time whenever I see it.

Not to go too tumblr here but "otherkin" implies that they think they are the creature in question mentally/spiritually/whatever, but in the absence of knowing that about him "fursuiter" is the most accurate word.

I can't say I find someone wearing that on the street all that sad. I knew a guy once who wore one to a job interview at an anime shop. That was sad.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Hey guys remember when Socrates was all "writing is the worst possible thing"

i dont think he ever said that in bill and ted's excellent adventure? he just called beethoven a geek i think

919UOwT.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    also to all of my new players in this roleplaying thing:

I have decided that we won't be playing Ryuutama

please check your inboxes as I have sent you a primer on how to roll your FATAL characters

it's a scant 200 pages, should be no problem

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Damn otherkin.

nah

*Mind blown*

who was talking about race

You're right, my bad.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

please check your inboxes as I have sent you a primer on how to roll your FATAL characters

I formally request a transfer to simon's group

A joke sprung to my mouth, but good taste vetoed it.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

roll for anal circumference

919UOwT.png
    Gooey wrote: »

roll for anal circumference

It's got a vaginal depth chart too, right?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Is April 1st usually this lame? I'm getting the saddest excuses for jokes in my mailbox.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Spoiled for some indirect bragging.
    My wife just got a research grant, and the panelists who reviewed her application sent back a summary of why they think my wife and her research are great.

I'm not fighting back tears of pride and joy, no sir.
    I can't wait to see what advances will come in the field of robot nunchaku.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Is April 1st usually this lame? I'm getting the saddest excuses for jokes in my mailbox.

Yeah, it's pretty much always been lame.

It looks like Slashdot didn't even do anything this year, and they were usually one of the decent ones.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    helicopter parents sounds to me something of higher echelons of society

the ones where who you are, who you know, and what you have all mean more than what you can do

desc wrote: »

I've heard of it as a fable, or old wives tale. Not even remotely as "everyone has had this happen once". The article says anyone after 81 is a mellinial, which be born shortly after that, didn't consider myself as one.

I always feel like each generation as conceived in pop culture is too long and encompasses many different mini-eras.

Did kids who grew up watching scratched Jurassic Park DVDs have the same millennial experience as kids who were downloading entire seasons of cartoons on their parents' massive bandwidth connections?

Yeah. Like, our first modem was a 14.4. I remember stepping up to 28.8, 56.6, etc as big deals. Then we got cable internet and it was mind blowing.

But there are people in my same "generation" who never heard the modem dial tone.

Or my wife works with kids, and they ask her what the hell she's talking about when she says she's going to "tape" something on TV. They have no concept of pre-DVR or on-demand times. But I guess those are mostly post-millennials by now.

Yeah, it just send uselessly broad given the rates of technological and so yak change.

Wikipedia: "Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the Western Post–World War II baby boom. Demographers, historians and commentators use beginning birth dates from the early 1960s to the early 1980s."

A kid who got a ride to the record store in a rusty Chevelle to buy black sabbath's new album is the same generation as Me listening to MOD tracker cracktro songs while browsing usenet?

Some chatter who was not in 1987 is the same generation as my cousin Sean's kid who was born in 1999?

Hmm

Elki wrote: »

Elki that thing you like is doing something totally bizarre oh wait no they aren't April Fool!

This discussion has been closed.