As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D D&D: One Month of Roleplaying

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    PMs to the Leverage crew have gone out.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Also to @‌Salvation122 BobCesca‌ japan‌ Captain Carrot

Would it be feasible to shunt the meetup time an hour back (2pm/7pm)? It's not vital, I can reschedule what I normally do at 6pm, but I figured this may be slightly simpler.

Works for me.

Ditto.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    @Rchanen‌ @Elldren @kedinik @RocketSauce‌

Would it be possible for us to do Tuesday instead of Thursday? When I was listing my availability I forgot about my weekly therapist appointment at 7pm EDT on Thursdays. I would also be amenable to pushing back a half an hour. But a day switch would allow us to keep the same time and I don't want to keep anyone up late if they can't do it.

Let me know.

I can't do Tuesdays. I've already committed to working the last 2 Tuesday evenings of April. I have no problem pushing our start time on Thursdays back, though.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh is probably the coolest guy ever and I want to be friends with him so that I can be cool too.

Fyihth

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    So there are a few scheduling things to work out, people having not PMed me about their Monday night neances or erotic massage appointment, so I am going to take today and allow everyone to PM me with any conflicts that they have and then we will hammer this down in 24 hours.

I am going to try and cause the minimum amount of disruption to the existing plan, but if you think you might be a better fit elsewhere, or you forgot that you are giving birth every FRiday at 9, now is the time to say so!

ADDITIONALLY: to veryone else, if you are suffering I-didn't-sign-up remorse, I am TEMPORARILY RE-OPENING SIGNUPS ON A PROVISIONAL BASIS. If I can't make some people's schedules work and they have to drop out, there may be openings. Or maybe enough new people will want in to create entire new games.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Vanguard this is relevant to your interests

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2014
    Torchbearers on the Starless Sea
    What System: Torchbearer, using a converted module
    When: Weeknights (Mon-Thurs), starting at 7PM EST
    Who: Minimum two players, Maximum three

Pitch:

Since time immemorial you and your people have toiled in the shadow of the cyclopean ruins. Of mysterious origins and the source of many a superstition, they have always been considered a secret best left unknown by the folk of your hamlet.

But now something stirs beneath the crumbling blocks. Beastmen howl in the night and your fellow villagers are snatched from their beds. With no heroes to defend you, who will rise to stand against the encircling darkness? The secrets of Chaos are yours to unearth, but at what cost to sanity or soul?

Torchbearers on the Starless Sea pits a group of murderhobos against the legacy of the Chaos Lords and their corrupted hordes. Delving beneath the crumbling ruins, the characters discover ancient crypts, a starless sea, and an ancient ziggurat, where death and treasure await in equal measure!

If you're interested and want more info, PM me. This game will not run without at least two players. Please see info in the OP for what the Torchbearer system is about.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Nova_C @moridin889 would you guys be willing to switch?

@Jacobkosh‌

Whatever you need buddy

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Nova_C moridin889 would you guys be willing to switch?

@Jacobkosh‌

Whatever you need buddy

Yep, Thom's game is at a much better time, so I'm good to switch.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @Jacobkosh‌ if there is a slot needed in any of my stated interests I can commit to two games if that helps fill out numbers.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Would it be possible for us to do Tuesday instead of Thursday? When I was listing my availability I forgot about my weekly therapist appointment at 7pm EDT on Thursdays. I would also be amenable to pushing back a half an hour. But a day switch would allow us to keep the same time and I don't want to keep anyone up late if they can't do it.

Let me know.

I can't do Tuesdays. I've already committed to working the last 2 Tuesday evenings of April. I have no problem pushing our start time on Thursdays back, though.

I also can't do Tuesdays, that's my regularly scheduled Mage game with our very own @Jacobkosh‌

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Let me know.

I also can't do Tuesdays, that's my regularly scheduled Mage game with our very own Jacobkosh‌

I also would have trouble with Tuesday.

So it looks like starting a bit later on Thursday is the way to go, assuming that's good for Rchanen.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌ If there is a spot open due to someone having to drop out, let me know and I'll see if my schedule works for it.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    my only experience with playing a tabletop RPG was a "session" of Hackmaster that didn't even make it through character creation. I think. If it did it was just barely. Not a good start. ok buhbye

• Options
    OK, here is the current state of the union:

- Nova_C and moridin889 have swapped succcessfully. Good work, guys. <3
    - VeeVee has dropped out of Elldren's game, leaving a slot open that night (Friday 7pm CST).
    - Deebaser has a prior engagement on Mondays, so he is being shifted from Mazzy's game to another to be determined later. This means there is a spot open on Monday night EST.
    - Vanguard's game is now scheduled for Thursday nights EST. Elldren has shifted to it, leaving two slots remaining.
    - Elldren's departure opens up a space in LoserForHireX's game, as well as an opportunity for that game to shift to Wednesdays or Fridays as appropriate.
    - Dynagrip, DUnadan, and Brutal_J have expressed interest in joining up for games and I will do my utmost to find them homes and fill out the roster.

• Options
    For the time being I think we have Elldren's game back to full with the addition of Dynagrip

• Options
    VeeVee has joined Salvation122's Shadowrun game.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

Let me know.

Tuesday works for me. Or Thursday. Or Wednesday. Or Friday. Seriously. Office drone with no social life. I need all the hugs.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    PMs sent.

OK, here is the current state of the union:

- Nova_C and moridin889 have swapped succcessfully. Good work, guys. <3
    - VeeVee has dropped out of Elldren's game, leaving a slot open that night (Friday 7pm CST).
    - Deebaser has a prior engagement on Mondays, so he is being shifted from Mazzy's game to another to be determined later. This means there is a spot open on Monday night EST.
    - Vanguard's game is now scheduled for Thursday nights EST. Elldren has shifted to it, leaving two slots remaining.
    - Elldren's departure opens up a space in LoserForHireX's game, as well as an opportunity for that game to shift to Wednesdays or Fridays as appropriate.
    - Dynagrip, DUnadan, and Brutal_J have expressed interest in joining up for games and I will do my utmost to find them homes and fill out the roster.

@‌jacobkosh Depending on venue, we may have scheduling issues on Thursday nights. If all three of us want to use the two IRC channels, that is.
    Also, assuming no objections from the players, I will be running a Core/Hunter game. Set in Vancouver. In fall of 2012. Make of that what you will.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Aside from the two IRC channels, there is also Roll20, which has very robust functionality (character sheet storage, auto-logging of chat, a dicebot, etc etc) and which I believe is free (if it isn't, someone please let me know).

• Options
    ONE OTHER THING: I know we said we'd begin right after PAX, but I know some people take that vacation into the next week or just need time to recover. That is totally fine! Discuss schedules amongst your groups; if your group has difficulties meeting for a week or whatever, no worries.

• Options
    oh my god I somehow inadventendly double-booked DasUberEdward. I checked that list three times! UGGH.

I have told DUE he can participate in either game, or both, or whatever. We have plenty of interested parties so it will work either way.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I can join loser for hires game if it isn't on Tuesdays! Woop

• Options
    Since I foolishly double-booked DUE, he has opted to do Simon's game, which means we have an open space in MrAnthropy's NWoD game.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Some people can't resist the lure of FATAL, it seems

welcome to the coven, DUE

• Options
    @Mazzyx‌ it looks like @Dunadan019‌ cqn fill Deebaser's shoes!

• Options
    @Brutal_J has joined @MrAnthropy‌ 's game!

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I can join loser for hires game if it isn't on Tuesdays! Woop

@&quot;"So It Goes"‌

I'll be sticking to the Thursday schedule, as it works better for everyone else. Would it work for you to push it back a half an hour? So start at 8 pm EDT?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Brutal J has joined MrAnthropy‌ 's game!

Huzzah! Glad I got in on this.

Brutal J on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Oh hey, everyone who's playing a nWoD game and probably some other people too.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/128081/Tabletop-Day-2014-BUNDLE?src=salepage

Big ole' package (probably good today only) that's got a bunch of ebooks for RPGs free. The nWoD core rulebook is included.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Oh hey, everyone who's playing a nWoD game and probably some other people too.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/128081/Tabletop-Day-2014-BUNDLE?src=salepage

Big ole' package (probably good today only) that's got a bunch of ebooks for RPGs free. The nWoD core rulebook is included.

thanks man!

I have no idea about these shits but I am download!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    oh fuck yes it includes Obsidian LARP Quickstart

• Options
    Yeah, I just grabbed it and I'm going to go through what all it comes with later when I get home.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Hey whats a good free IRC client?

I used to use (way back in the day) mIRC. Which is nice but payware now. I am not looking to spend money for an IRC client. RPG books yes (because those are the stuff of life). IRC client. No.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    IceChat is fine.

• Options
    I just use Mibbit. Admittedly, I'm not looking for a lot of features in my client, but I can configure it to auto-connect and use specific names, and I can log in from anywhere and get the same settings, so I'm pretty okay with it.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I had been using Colloquy but OSX 10.9 screwed it up terribly, so now I use LimeChat

It requires a bit of mucking about in stylesheets to look even halfway decent but the features are good

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @Elldren‌ @Mazzyx‌ @LoserForHireX‌ @Salvation122‌ @Vanguard‌ @simonwolf‌ @PotatoNinja‌ @Rear Admiral Choco@jakobagger‌ @Thomamelas‌ @MrAnthropy‌ and really @ everyone else too but I am particularly aiming this at the GMs out there:

So because I am bored and because I am a nerd (a deadly combination) I have been working on a little project in my spare time. At home, when I GM games, I've always liked to assemble little Youtube playlists of music to have running in the background to help set the mood. And gradually I would get more ambitious and start creating playlists for certain settings and moods, so I could have, say, spooky music for exploring a tomb in D&D, and then fight music for when the orcs attack, and so forth. Video game music is particularly suited for this as it's already meant to be ambient and it often comes with different tunes for fights and exploration and so forth.

The frustrating thing about this is that dudes on Youtube fucking suck and are always organizing their shit badly (a "complete playlist" of some soundtrack that is missing half the tracks) or get their accounts deleted so my playlists would suddenly be full of [deleted video] tags with no hint as to what had been there for me to go find another copy of it.

So being, as I said, bored, I decided to take matters into my own hands and upload my own videos to assemble my own playlists, and naturally this spiraled out of control and has become a big new project. But that's cool, because it's fun and it's something to do and it's something I can share with you guys.

I made a new channel, RPG Moods, to store it all. And here are the playlists, organized by genre. Some are more complete than others (Urban Horror, for World of Darkness-type stuff, was kind of a pain in the ass to populate. There are fewer gothy games out there than there ought to be.) But all of these should have at least half an hour of appropriate music and some are five or six times longer than that.

CYBERPUNK
    Cyberpunk Ambient
    Dangerous Places Ambient
    Jacked in to the Matrix Ambient
    Asian-Themed Ambient
    Dives and Clubs
    Tension
    Combat
    Matrix Combat
    Epic Combat
    Creepy and Horrific
    Love & Lust
    Dramatic Exposition

URBAN HORROR
    Urban Horror Ambient
    Dangerous Places Ambient
    Asian-Flavored Ambient
    Bars and Clubs
    Tension
    Combat
    Epic Combat
    Sad and Grim
    Doomed Romance
    Dramatic Exposition

FANTASY
    Wllderness Ambient
    Urban Ambient
    Dungeon Ambient
    Exotic Ambient
    Taverns and Bars
    Tension
    Combat
    Epic Combat
    Heroic Themes and Victory
    Holy Places
    Unholy Places
    Romance
    Sad and Grim
    Martial Moods
    Dramatic Exposition

Suggestions for new additions are welcome. My criteria are pretty simple: it needs to be ambient (no vocals to distract from the actual work of gaming) and it ideally will have tracks that can be easily sorted by mood. Future genres I am thinking of tackling are Space Opera and Modern-Day Adventure.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I predominantly play fantasy RPGs. John Fahey's Deathchants Breakdowns and Military Waltzes has been in rotation for the last few years. Full playlist is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5APbN4SsR4s&amp;list=PLKiEBsOXrNf4knd-6HzrW0S0nxfzu4Xr1

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So, these have vocals, but you really don't have to pay attention to them at all to get the "this is more than a little off" feel for WoD-type stuff. Really basically anything by Nick Cave, but these in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxkUK3SQlWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8TF6qSdbF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3QHzbK9jY