As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I got my mum an Evolve Darwin fish (she's a Biology teacher).

That was the only thing on her car until it was stolen (the fish, not the car).

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    NwpzNb3.jpg

I've been doing my murdering all wrong!

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    one of my good friends from college has his birthday today. I sent him a text, and as it went through I noticed the last text exchange between the two of us was exactly 1 year ago when I last wished him a happy birthday

hmm

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    one of my good friends from college has his birthday today. I sent him a text, and as it went through I noticed the last text exchange between the two of us was exactly 1 year ago when I last wished him a happy birthday

hmm

Text #2: APRIL FOOLS I DONT REALLY CARE HAHA

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

hmm

*delete contact*

I don't put anything on my car because in my experience random assholes will jump at any excuse to fuck with your shit

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I don't put anything on my car because in my experience random assholes will jump at any excuse to fuck with your shit

I have a Tampa Bay Lightning license plate and the parking decal for the university I went to and that's it.

Vanguard wrote: »

hmm

*delete contact*

:(

Delmain wrote: »

I have a Tampa Bay Lightning license plate and the parking decal for the university I went to and that's it.

What kind of elitist, college-educated fucker follows hockey in Florida?

*keys car*

That will teach him.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Fair.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure this is grounds for divorce

http://imgur.com/BCwfoJB

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Man, I love it when my Browser has a small hiccup while I'm dragging around some tabs, and some of the tabs end up in my bookmarks toolbar.

And then I don't notice my bookmarks have changed until days later.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Fair.

THIS ONE'S FOR CALLAHAN

*smashes mirror*

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    good friend, eh

aRkpc.gif
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    A friend of mine got engaged last night

at a party I really didn't want to attend

so happy he is getting married to a really great guy, they're a fantastic pair and the proposal was really sweet

but FML aside from that I had a miserable night.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

hmm

*delete contact*

meh, people have a habit of bouncing back in and out of my life. No need to write anyone off unless Landshark is so incredibly popular that deleting this person would minimize the burden of sorting through his e-Roledex.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

My favorite is still (from a while ago) the new World of Warcraft class: the Bard.

With a UI completely ripped from Guitar Hero

the best part being the reveal had full class details, equipment, spells, and talent trees

Including "Axe Specialization"

Just that level of dedication to getting extra puns in the small details

so good.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Fair.

THIS ONE'S FOR CALLAHAN

*smashes mirror*

Seriously, though, who's this schlub you sent to the Rangers in a St. Louis jersey under false pretenses?

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    for years my dad and stepmom's cars both had the same bumper sticker, this one from Boy Scouts that my stepbrother and I had independently acquired.

It read

KIDS FISHING: IT'S CATCHING ON!

now there is a controversial political stand

what a load of carp

edited April 2014

My favorite is still (from a while ago) the new World of Warcraft class: the Bard.

With a UI completely ripped from Guitar Hero

the best part being the reveal had full class details, equipment, spells, and talent trees

Including "Axe Specialization"

Just that level of dedication to getting extra puns in the small details

so good.

I loved their fake Black Temple attunement
    Btattunement-chart.jpg?version=6537d46cded4b14108ff10f809150921

Tav on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Deebaser wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    NwpzNb3.jpg

Better Ad
    Bumper Stickers: They make you look like a cunt.

Bumper stickers reveal link to road rage
    Bumper stickers such as “Make Love, Not War” and “More Trees, Less Bush” speak volumes about a vehicle's driver — but maybe not in the way they might hope. People who customize their cars with stickers and other adornments are more prone to road rage than other people, according to researchers in Colorado.
    The researchers recorded whether people had added seat covers, bumper stickers, special paint jobs, stereos and even plastic dashboard toys. They also asked questions about how the participants responded to specific driving situations.

To keep the participants from realizing that the team was collecting information about aggressive driving, questions such as “If someone is driving slow in the fast lane, how angry does this make you?” were interspersed with decoy questions such as “What kind of music do you listen to in the car?”. Szlemko's team used a pre-existing scale called “Use of vehicle to express anger” to diagnose the presence of road rage in their participants.

People who had a larger number of personalized items on or in their car were 16% more likely to engage in road rage, the researchers report in the journal <i>Applied Social Psychology</i>

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I am extremely skeptical of the 'daily routines' infographic that was posted earlier this thread.

Is it their stated routine? Their actual routine? If it is there actual routine how was it deduced? How strictly was it adhered to? At what age and period of their life was this routine maintained and for how long?

pretty much this

I don't know, I think I buy the one for Kant.

That dude was a workaholic and totally fastidious.

Didn't hang out much or anything. Dude was boring as shit, I bet.

@Inquisitor‌ @LoserForHireX @Vanguard‌

I do not doubt the amount that each of those figures worked. A highly productive individual in the prime of his intellectual/professional life could easily work the majority of the day every day.

I doubt that

1) The hours are as accurate as the infographic implies, particularly for the pre-industrialization luminaries. I've read plenty of material that suggests that prior to industrialization (and in preindustrialized cultures today) there's a +/-30m margin of error for timekeeping (perhaps as little as 10m if we're talking about people who would have had access to an accurate clockwork pocketwatch, eg Ben Franklin). Saying "I work from 9am to 2pm" might actually mean "I work from 9:15ish to 2ish."

2) The hours did not shift from day to day, again particularly for pre-industrialization figures. I think it's more likely that most of these folks woke up X hours before or after dawn, which means the exact time would have shifted from season to season.

3) The hours are as unbroken as the infographics imply. People self-report that they "work" or "sleep" from X to Y, but most people can't work productively for 6-8 hours at a time, and lots of people (especially, again, pre-industrialization) don't have unbroken sleep from X to Y. I think it's more likely that most of those people had undeclared breaks in their work & sleep patterns that aren't reflected there.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    for years my dad and stepmom's cars both had the same bumper sticker, this one from Boy Scouts that my stepbrother and I had independently acquired.

It read

KIDS FISHING: IT'S CATCHING ON!

now there is a controversial political stand

what a load of carp

you mackerel me laugh

919UOwT.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Wonderful, having to explain how faxes are linear connections and that it's physically impossible to get page 3 before page 1, or just page 3 is a wonderful time.

You can get pages 1-3, 1-2, or 1, but never just 3.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    NwpzNb3.jpg

Better Ad

Bumper stickers such as “Make Love, Not War” and “More Trees, Less Bush” speak volumes about a vehicle's driver — but maybe not in the way they might hope. People who customize their cars with stickers and other adornments are more prone to road rage than other people, according to researchers in Colorado.
    The researchers recorded whether people had added seat covers, bumper stickers, special paint jobs, stereos and even plastic dashboard toys. They also asked questions about how the participants responded to specific driving situations.

To keep the participants from realizing that the team was collecting information about aggressive driving, questions such as “If someone is driving slow in the fast lane, how angry does this make you?” were interspersed with decoy questions such as “What kind of music do you listen to in the car?”. Szlemko's team used a pre-existing scale called “Use of vehicle to express anger” to diagnose the presence of road rage in their participants.

People who had a larger number of personalized items on or in their car were 16% more likely to engage in road rage, the researchers report in the journal <i>Applied Social Psychology</i>

Huh, not The Onion.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I am now committed to RPGs on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each week. Gonna get my nerd on.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

It's like a buzzfeed list, but without the jokes.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I am now committed to RPGs on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each week. Gonna get my nerd on.

Try not to get stuffed into any lockers!

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    By the way, guys, for the record

HOLY JEEZ this was an education in how people basically do not read instructions or OPs at all

Like I love most of you and I have special mommy-and-daddy hug love for Gooey but some doods were not really giving me the infos I needed and I had to infer a lot of things. Like when someone goes "EST. I work on Saturdays" I had to just kind of assume that he meant he was only free Sundays. And then there were dudes who listed a bunch of games that weren't in the OP and not a single one that was. Those people may be disappointed and I feel kind of bad but also like...sorry bro

when I read/hear stuff like this I always worry it's about me

i don't think it is this time though, my problem is usually giving too much info

Tav wrote: »

It's like a buzzfeed list, but without the jokes.

i quoted the good bits

edited April 2014
    The OED Gets All C-Wordy. You Should Too.
    Among the Oxford English Dictionary's list of "new word entries" for March 2014 are the following four adjectives:
    • cunted
    • cunting
    • cuntish
    • cunty

In what has turned out to be a rather cunt-happy month at the OED, these "subentries" were added as well:
    • cunt lapper
    • cunt-bitten
    • cunt-sucker

If cunted sounds crude, it nevertheless has a place in a lexicon that comfortably embraces labels like cocksucker, dickhead, and even asshole. The fact is that much of modern English has been influenced by writers like Shakespeare, whose Malvolio slyly spells out C-U-N-T in Twelfth Night, and Chaucer, who used the more quaint-looking queynte. As New York-based journalist Lauren Davidson noted recently, "It really does seem only fair that if Shakespeare, Geoffrey Chaucer, James Joyce and D.H. Lawrence—a bunch of old white men—could use it rather joyfully, why shouldn't we?"

Chanus on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I am extremely skeptical of the 'daily routines' infographic that was posted earlier this thread.

Is it their stated routine? Their actual routine? If it is there actual routine how was it deduced? How strictly was it adhered to? At what age and period of their life was this routine maintained and for how long?

pretty much this

I don't know, I think I buy the one for Kant.

That dude was a workaholic and totally fastidious.

Didn't hang out much or anything. Dude was boring as shit, I bet.

@Inquisitor‌ @LoserForHireX @Vanguard‌

I do not doubt the amount that each of those figures worked. A highly productive individual in the prime of his intellectual/professional life could easily work the majority of the day every day.

I doubt that

1) The hours are as accurate as the infographic implies, particularly for the pre-industrialization luminaries. I've read plenty of material that suggests that prior to industrialization (and in preindustrialized cultures today) there's a +/-30m margin of error for timekeeping (perhaps as little as 10m if we're talking about people who would have had access to an accurate clockwork pocketwatch, eg Ben Franklin). Saying "I work from 9am to 2pm" might actually mean "I work from 9:15ish to 2ish."

2) The hours did not shift from day to day, again particularly for pre-industrialization figures. I think it's more likely that most of these folks woke up X hours before or after dawn, which means the exact time would have shifted from season to season.

3) The hours are as unbroken as the infographics imply. People self-report that they "work" or "sleep" from X to Y, but most people can't work productively for 6-8 hours at a time, and lots of people (especially, again, pre-industrialization) don't have unbroken sleep from X to Y. I think it's more likely that most of those people had undeclared breaks in their work & sleep patterns that aren't reflected there.

Sure but I think the response I posted last night still holds.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    NwpzNb3.jpg

Better Ad

Does that mean that people with a load of crap on their desks are angrier as well?

Because my Lego scenario and bobblehead could be an indication of my desk rage.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    jakobagger wrote: »
    By the way, guys, for the record

HOLY JEEZ this was an education in how people basically do not read instructions or OPs at all

Like I love most of you and I have special mommy-and-daddy hug love for Gooey but some doods were not really giving me the infos I needed and I had to infer a lot of things. Like when someone goes "EST. I work on Saturdays" I had to just kind of assume that he meant he was only free Sundays. And then there were dudes who listed a bunch of games that weren't in the OP and not a single one that was. Those people may be disappointed and I feel kind of bad but also like...sorry bro

when I read/hear stuff like this I always worry it's about me

i don't think it is this time though, my problem is usually giving too much info

What do you mean? Be more specific

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Sure but I think the response I posted last night still holds.

I think I missed it?

Or else I'm not sure which response you're referring to...

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    HEARD IN A COURTROOM

BARRISTER: How was the defendant when you saw him that evening?

WITNESS: He was pretty f***** up

BARRISTER: May I remind you about the use of language in this court

WITNESS: Sorry, he was pretty f***** up… Your Honour

obF2Wuw.png
    Does that mean that people with a load of crap on their desks are angrier as well?

Because my Lego scenario and bobblehead could be an indication of my desk rage.

They actually suggest that as a possibility

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.