As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2 Fast 2 [Movies] Thread: Time For Sequels

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

The two sequels aren't as good.

"Aren't as good" is a huge huge huge understatement. There is one redeeming 2 second bit in the sequals and the rest is some of the worst cinema I've ever seen.

I enjoyed the sequels in a "so bad they good" way, but that is a very subjective way of enjoying a movie. One person's "so bad it's good" is another person's "just plain bad", and I fully understand why one wouldn't like the sequels. When you take a bunch of wacky shit and throw it at a wall, even if most of it sticks it's still a wall of shit. Either that, or it's a work of modern art worth millions.

Regardless, the original Feast is a legit good movie.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just FYI they're both on Amazon Instant if you want to watch them. Free for Prime users.

hmmm amazon says I have to pay for it even though I'm a prime member. boo.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oregon tax, to make up for no sales tax.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Just FYI they're both on Amazon Instant if you want to watch them. Free for Prime users.

Okay that's weird. On my Roku box I was able to load it up just fine as a Prime member but the site doesn't have a free option.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Okay that's weird. On my Roku box I was able to load it up just fine as a Prime member but the site doesn't have a free option.

The contract with that content provider that makes it Prime eligible expired today.

:|

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    The general stupidity of the movie isn't its big downfall, nor is the weird tone change from creepy to Adventure! to creepy again. The absolute worst thing about the movie is Mark Wahlberg's acting. He's supposed to be a biology teacher, but he acts his role as if he's an innocent little boy. The weirdly sincere childish delivery of every line is horrible distracting and I have no idea what the hell is going on with it. Every time he says something it's with starry-eyed wonderment of a child and the one time he gets angry it's a very childish tantrum-style of angry. Why would Wahlberg do that, and why would Shyamalalman let him do it? It is the biggest mystery of the movie. D-

Wahlberg's acting quality is entirely contingent on the director and the material he's given. Pair him with a PT Anderson or a David O. Russell and you get gold. Pair him with Shyamalan and you get... well, The Happening. The dude has brilliant potential, but I think he really needs to be goaded into it. In the right hands, though, he's one of my favorite actors.

The Corruptor is an often over looked gem.

The incredibly brutal car chase alone is worth the price of admission.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The Happening. Where Shyamalan had a boner over getting a 'hard r' rating and is the only reason he had a kid get shot in the head in the movie.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/

The contract with that content provider that makes it Prime eligible expired today.

:|

Nooooooooo

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    What is wrong with you people that you don't own the TMNT movies on DVD...hmmmm?

I got the 4 pack for my son...totally not for me too... 3 is really awful but the 2007 animated one is fun to watch.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people that you don't own the TMNT movies on DVD...hmmmm?

I got the 4 pack for my son...totally not for me too... 3 is really awful but the 2007 animated one is fun to watch.

I just saw the 3 pack on Amazon on BluRay for $20. Sold!

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    The dialogue based humor and Casey Jones made the first TMNT great, his fight on the rooftop with Raphael is just classic back and forth. Well, that and the cinematography.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, teenage-me thought "Broadzilla" was the funniest pun ever.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    For reasons last night I watched a French art film called Flanders. I could see it had quality to it, particularly in terms of the war scenes, but it's one of those European movies so minimalist and emptied of content, dialogue, and character that I simply could not enjoy it. I'm not sure it's supposed to be enjoyed.

hero_EB20070816REVIEWS708160303AR.jpg

The story, such as it is, involves a present-day farmer who gets drafted to serve in some conflict in (I think) Africa; meanwhile, his sort-of girlfriend cheats on him and goes through moods because of how awful he is but also because he's gone. There's sudden, shocking violence and equally sudden frank sex, both drained of any possible excitement or glamorization, both animalistic and almost automatic. The film is grim and depressing, the people hollow and hollowed by their lives. Like Ebert, I admire it in memory more than while I was watching it; frustration at long silences or drawn-out shots falls away and moments endure of, not grace exactly, but perfect gracelessness and deep despair. The ending, which in another film might have brought hope, is devastating in its hopelessness. The film's structure follows the farmer from his sad little village to the staccato hell of the desert war and then back to his village, and it's shocking how my perception of the village shifted from a bleak perdition to a refuge from it, closed even to those who return there.

Few movies occupy that strange territory at the nexus of boring and powerful; Flanders is one of them.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I recently subscribed to Amazon Prime and started watching TMNT, but for whatever reason, I just wasn't feeling it. I was in the mood for something a little lighter, so I went with Popeye.
    I'm not going to try to sell Popeye the movie to anybody. Honestly, the fog of nostalgia is so thick, I can't really tell you if it's a good movie or not. What I can tell you, though, is the soundtrack is beautiful. Harry Nilsson wrote most of it I believe, if not all of it. There are a couple standouts, but my favorite will always be Swee'pea's Lullaby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjGaV3Xk6Q8

Why does anybody ever sing Rock-a-bye Baby when this song exists?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The only thing I remember from Popeye is the amazing sets.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I watched Warm Bodies last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I still can't really call it good. Not great acting, too much hand waving to some bits that should have been a little more powerful. It seems like they really couldn't decide weather to make a horror movie, a comedy or a romance and ended up with not any of those at all. The beginning zombie in-head monolgues are worth seeing tho; they really should have been kept up throughout the film more.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I watched Warm Bodies last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I still can't really call it good. Not great acting, too much hand waving to some bits that should have been a little more powerful. It seems like they really couldn't decide weather to make a horror movie, a comedy or a romance and ended up with not any of those at all. The beginning zombie in-head monolgues are worth seeing tho; they really should have been kept up throughout the film more.

Considering that it's a satire of Twilight and other romantic monster movies, I'd say it did what it intended to do.

I don't think Warm Bodies has any horror film elements at all, except the fact that it has zombies. But horror films require some sort of fear, or suspense, or at least discomfort, and WB doesn't try for any of that. It's a dark rom-com with some action scenes that happen to involve shambling corpses. Pretty sure the movie knew exactly what it wanted to be, regardless of whether or not it succeeded. (I thought it succeeded, fwiw.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I don't think Warm Bodies has any horror film elements at all, except the fact that it has zombies. But horror films require some sort of fear, or suspense, or at least discomfort, and WB doesn't try for any of that. It's a dark rom-com with some action scenes that happen to involve shambling corpses. Pretty sure the movie knew exactly what it wanted to be, regardless of whether or not it succeeded. (I thought it succeeded, fwiw.)

So the whole guy getting beaten to death then his brain ripped out and eaten... the other dude torn open on the balconey and his organs falling onto the street... are not elements of horror.

I think you may need to re-evaluate your definitions.

Considering that it's a satire of Twilight and other romantic monster movies, I'd say it did what it intended to do.

If it was a satire of Twilight then it failed at that too. Having seen been made to sit through three of those movies, this didn't remind me of them at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Because they wanted to make romeo and juliet with zombies
    and a happy ending
    . They decided on that, kind of destroying the source of everything they had been working with. I thought it was pretty good though. besides the spoiler part being a little hamfisted.

steam_sig.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The Sweethaven set is now a tourist attraction.

http://www.popeyemalta.com

So the whole guy getting beaten to death then his brain ripped out and eaten... the other dude torn open on the balconey and his organs falling onto the street... are not elements of horror.

Gore isn't horror.

Unless you want to label something like Kill Bill as horror. Or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, for that matter. Horror is more about tone than what's specifically happening. For a great example of this, look at Dale and Tucker Versus Evil. Horrible things happen, but they're related in a comedic way instead of a horrific way. We're not supposed to be terrified, we're supposed to think it's (blackly) hilarious that all these people keep dying in bloody, graphic fashion. You could take the scenes in that movie, though, shuffle them around, tweak the dialog, and give it a different score, and now it's horror.

For another great example, look at the recut of the Mrs. Doubtfire trailer that turns it into a horror film. It's strictly a tone thing.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Eh gore ain't horror. Action can be pretty brutal but the brutality doesn't make something horror or not.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

I thought most of the actors did an admirable job, Shelley Duvall in particular. And some of the songs were nice.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I want to believe this, because it would be an easy change to make and would be a great way to capture the audiences attention with local cultural events/references. Also because it would make an interesting extra on the blu-ray.

But then I remember that today is international bullshit day, and I get kind of sad.

I don't think Upprox does liars day, they even have an article on why it sucks.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I will <do absurd thing> if that to-do list isn't shopped. Because it really looks shopped.

Well we can ask our british friends who have seen it to confirm?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I definitely remember the Beatles being on there, but that's in Switzerland. I doubt we'd get a version with Heidi and the like...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    The problem with the pic is that the left-hand side obviously matches perfectly, minus some coloration issues. If you're going to have alternate versions, you're going to write them on different notepads and then film them separately, because that's the easy and cheap way to do it.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

cap2 spoilers from a uk dude who has seen it!
    its true. (oh shit its april's fool day... but its true, this reveal was talked about last week or so. )

uk here so we did see sherlock on the list but it goes too fast to read everything.

Deaderinred on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I saw the original story posted elsewhere a couple of days ago so I'm pretty sure it's real.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

cap2 spoilers from a uk dude who has seen it!
    its true. (oh shit its april's fool day... but its true, this reveal was talked about last week or so. )

uk here so we did see sherlock on the list but it goes too fast to read everything.

Further British cap2 movie watching
    The British list with Sean Connery is indeed the one I saw

Although, I have to say in a universe with trans dimensional gods and super serum and the like I'd think the Moon Landing would be way less impressive and not must see TV.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    He's captain AMERICA, one of AMERICA's most amazing things ever was fucking the moon with our huge red blooded american spirit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Gore isn't horror.

Unless you want to label something like Kill Bill as horror. Or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, for that matter. Horror is more about tone than what's specifically happening. For a great example of this, look at Dale and Tucker Versus Evil. Horrible things happen, but they're related in a comedic way instead of a horrific way. We're not supposed to be terrified, we're supposed to think it's (blackly) hilarious that all these people keep dying in bloody, graphic fashion. You could take the scenes in that movie, though, shuffle them around, tweak the dialog, and give it a different score, and now it's horror.

For another great example, look at the recut of the Mrs. Doubtfire trailer that turns it into a horror film. It's strictly a tone thing.

oh god I hadn't seen this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ckv_Dz-Sio

thank you

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    That one is still not as good as the recut Shining trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkVWuP_sO0

steam_sig.png
    I saw the original story posted elsewhere a couple of days ago so I'm pretty sure it's real.

If so, that's really weird. Not that they would swap in different versions - that's just kinda cool - but that they would apparently use some sort of digital computer magic instead of just filming a few separate cuts of a hand holding a notepad.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular

If so, that's really weird. Not that they would swap in different versions - that's just kinda cool - but that they would apparently use some sort of digital computer magic instead of just filming a few separate cuts of a hand holding a notepad.

Eh, it easily could have been an afterthought.

This discussion has been closed.