As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Collection vs Speculation vs Charity

BekerBeker Child's Play Program DirectorSeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
I was pondering how I approach various trades and I find I have 3 different trade modes. Some of this could seem fairly cutthroat so let me clarify that all of this is wrapped in the frame of friendly trading. I'm aware that I keep pretty well informed on the community and what's going on, so if a trade ever seems way to imbalanced and my trading partner is unaware of that, I try to educate them before we trade. "I know you want to give me your PAX Aus Kemper for this hot dog fairy I have, but I want to make sure you know this fairy can be bought in the set right over there at merch if you prefer".

That being said, If someone I know fairly well seems to desperately desire something I have, I may force them to make some tough decisions purely for the fun of messing with them. But never to the point of making them potentially un-happy.

So, my modes....

Collection Mode: looking to acquire something for my permanent collection. I'll up the value of what I offer generally, but I try to keep in mind that there will be other sources for the thing i'm looking for. Generally encompases the first day of a PAX as I acquire all the new shiney's.

Speculation Mode: Casual trading to generally increase the value of my collection in my eyes. I am currently able to attend all 3 PAX's a year (and pray that can continue), which is great for my squirrels. But also lets me bring pins from one PAX to another for extra trading power and to help spread them around. So I'll always be willing to trade something bought online or easily available for a PAX exclusive to carry with me to another PAX to trade. I don't generally pursue these, but if someone wants something on my lanyard, i'll keep future PAX's in mind for what I ask for.

Charity Mode: When I see someone who is just starting and is super excited, or has a good case for the trade, or I just like the cut of their jib, i'll trade "down" in value. "Sure you can have this Aus Chandra for a Lookouts ginger kid, why not" Generally this happens towards the end of PAX, but the mode or situation could strike anytime.

I'm curious, any of you have similar modes? Different motivations or thoughts that go through your head while trading or seeking trades?

-Beker/Erick
zx6ak2M.png

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I've done a lot of trading in my day. From trading cards to fantasy hockey, I have done quite a bit. With that said, I definitely have different modes of trade.

Basically everything you said covers mostly all trades I can think of. If someone is new and I have certain pins I don't mind losing, I would probably help them out in a trade. On the flipside, if I trade my Hannah or PA Anniversary pins, I expect maybe a 2 for 1 (depending on the pins involved). Seeing as the Behemoth pins are $5 a pop, I'd probably start by asking for three of those for one of the limited editions. I said starting point though, so I could be swayed.

You really have to treat each trade as its own thing. No trade is the same. Some people like to play hard to get, which can be fun trying to break them and coming out with an even trade.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    I will throw as many Pins at someone as it takes to get the Pins I seek. I will also give Pins away for free if I feel like it, but I wouldn't trade "down" per se (not saying it's wrong to do it), just if some little kid wants a Pin or someone is desperate, then I'm not going to take one of theirs away from them if I don't need it.

• Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

I pretty much agree with the OP. By day 4 of Prime last year, I was just trading to make other people happy since I had a huge stack of pins already and had completed my set, a set for my friend and had good trade stock. I probably made dumb trades (and have definitely done so online :smiley: ) but it made someone else excited to work on their collection and made me feel good too.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think you covered all the bases there. Primarily trade for my own collection. And then trade off my trading batch of,pins to people who need them. Im not really looking to increase the value of my trading pins so i like to go easy on those trades, especially for new collectors. Though there are few pins like my extra ltd ed. Pins where i would make the other person work a little harder for them

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    timebeingtimebeing Registered User regular
    Collection Mode gets me the most. I really wanted a Aus Chandra and traded way to much for my first one I( got a second one pretty easily) For pins I don't have much attachment to (behemoth since i could always throw another 5$ at them) I traded them away pretty easily.

Some Pax East advise for trading. 90% of the time people stopped to ask if I wanted to trade my Behemoth pins at Prime. I think because they are random, and there was really no way to "get" them with out spending a bunch of money, getting lucky, trading. People were very interested in specific ones. They were very easy to trade for other items. And I'd usually just go back and just get another one or 2 if I wanted more trade stock.

• Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    timebeing wrote: »
    Collection Mode gets me the most. I really wanted a Aus Chandra and traded way to much for my first one I( got a second one pretty easily) For pins I don't have much attachment to (behemoth since i could always throw another 5$ at them) I traded them away pretty easily.

Some Pax East advise for trading. 90% of the time people stopped to ask if I wanted to trade my Behemoth pins at Prime. I think because they are random, and there was really no way to "get" them with out spending a bunch of money, getting lucky, trading. People were very interested in specific ones. They were very easy to trade for other items. And I'd usually just go back and just get another one or 2 if I wanted more trade stock.

I'll probably spend at least $100 on the vending machines right off the bat. Might wind up being easier to just trade for some pins, rather than waiting in long lines or whatever. I still don't know how people got the Second Sun and Wildstar pins at Prime - I think I just traded Behemoth pins for them.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    thx42 wrote: »
    timebeing wrote: »

I'll probably spend at least $100 on the vending machines right off the bat. Might wind up being easier to just trade for some pins, rather than waiting in long lines or whatever. I still don't know how people got the Second Sun and Wildstar pins at Prime - I think I just traded Behemoth pins for them.

Quite possibly the best way to feel like a Stone Cold Pinp is to walk up to the Behemoth guy and drop $200 for tokens. (3 people in a group, 8 Pins, $5, plus wiggle room for duplicates.) Having spares as tradebait doesn't hurt either.

I am collecting for more and more people, so my collection order currently goes: Myself, Pin Pals, Requests from others. Any other people I can help out in the meantime, sure. I had several spares from the Behemoth and I was more than happy to swap and get yet another Hatty Hattington so that a guy could get his girlfriend the Star.

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    This is an interesting discussion. Is there a pinetiquette for trading somewhere. I feel the same as you guys. I want to be nice but at the same time I would have a hard time trading a Behemoth pin for a rarer pin like an east Chandra. I have almost all my pins (missing the AUS ones and the DLC pin), but I have never traded as a friend got me all my Prime pins last year. Is it cool to ask for more pins to equal the "value" of a pin and how do you determine the value of the ones that were given away? Also is it kosher to trade pins without the packaging? I have some prime sets I am looking to trade at east, but I don't want to throw away the packaging because as a collector I would want it. Should I just keep it in my backpack and put the pins on my lanyard? I am such a noob, but I want to get all up in the trading at East. Also, the locking pin backs... Do i keep the rubber ones in my bag and swap em at trade time or just risk it with the rubber ones? Sorry for all the newb ?s

• Options
    Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Asking for more pins to equal the "value" of a Pin is up to the person you ask really, but it's definitely something people will do.

At this point I'd say there is really no quantifiable trade value for any Pin (two Stripsearch = 1 Skullfart?) it's whatever value each person places upon them. With some Pins being more difficult to obtain because they are limited, or if they can't be purchased (must be earned through a epic quest), they'll naturally get better offers. What I would do if I were you, is before you jump in on trading, get a feel for what offers people are making. There will always be someone else looking for what you have and others with what you want. Finding the right trade is what can make it interesting. It's supposed to be fun foremost, business second, in my opinion.

Trading Pins without the packaging is again up to the person you're trading with, but you'll probably find most people do not care about the packaging. You could possibly get more out of a trade if the Pins come in packaging, so bringing it with you wouldn't be a bad idea.

I keep all my extra rubber Pin backings in one of The Behemoth Gashapon capsules. As far as locking Pin backs, I'd keep them for yourself, and you could swap them at trade. You could keep them in a Ziploc bag or something maybe. Unless you have a lot of them, if you trade them all away you'd have to buy new ones - it's really up to you though.

Konig Wolf on
  • Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    This will be my first trading event, and I'm also responsible for getting pins for my group partners, so I think I need to be more conservative than I would be if it was just me.
    My priority Saturday morning is to get my little community project finished and displayed as soon as possible so I can get in the merch line.
    First on the list is to take care of getting the core sets and singles that my group partners and I need, then begin the stroll around the other tables to see if I can still snag the 3rd party pins like Ellie or D&D that I definitely want, and I'm sure my partners will as well.
    Once I feel I've done my due diligence there, then I need to make sure that my wife has a good time the rest of the day.
    We'll both be wearing trading lanyards, and I'll work on picking up what I need to get while taking in all that is PAX.

Sunday will be similar, trying to get to the 10th anniversary pins (unlikely) and generally trying to fill out the spots on my lists while having a good time.