As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, April 2, 2014 - Nubular

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• IKerenskyIKerensky Registered User new member
    Hum, as much as I LOOOOoooooved your comic I beg to differ right here.
    I have been playing boardgame and wargame since I am 7, I have been playing computer game since back to the ZX-80/MSX time, I have been playing MMO since Ultima Online.
    I simply wont be a noob anymore anywhere on any game. And that is the saddest thing at all.
    I tried all the later MMO in my search of my long lost noobiness but just like virginity you can't grow it back. Everything make sense very fast, game mechanism and control I already saw elsewhere, even the newest interraction feel very easy to understand very quick.
    What I am looking for is my noob time, like spending 2 hours and half to go from Freeport to Qeynos on foot to join group with my buddies that created elves because I didn't knew about drood TP (and there weren't that much at thoses times). Like finding by myself the Crushbone Belt Quest without shiny ? and ! and quest log and all. Like seeing the Tunnel in East Commonland slowly evolve from a noticeable landscape feature to a rendez-vous point to a merchant haven for the first player created Bazaar.
    Current modern days MMO don't let you get noob, they took you gently by the hand, provide all information and control before hand and nerfed all possible hazard. That's the reason why Noob start becoming the ultimate insult because to be a Noob nowaday implied that your cognitive potency is in serious jeopardy.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    IKerensky wrote: »
    I have been playing boardgame and wargame since I am 7, I have been playing computer game since back to the ZX-80/MSX time, I have been playing MMO since Ultima Online.
    I simply wont be a noob anymore anywhere on any game. And that is the saddest thing at all.
    I tried all the later MMO in my search of my long lost noobiness but just like virginity you can't grow it back. Everything make sense very fast, game mechanism and control I already saw elsewhere, even the newest interraction feel very easy to understand very quick.
    What I am looking for is my noob time, like spending 2 hours and half to go from Freeport to Qeynos on foot to join group with my buddies that created elves because I didn't knew about drood TP (and there weren't that much at thoses times). Like finding by myself the Crushbone Belt Quest without shiny ? and ! and quest log and all. Like seeing the Tunnel in East Commonland slowly evolve from a noticeable landscape feature to a rendez-vous point to a merchant haven for the first player created Bazaar.
    Current modern days MMO don't let you get noob, they took you gently by the hand, provide all information and control before hand and nerfed all possible hazard. That's the reason why Noob start becoming the ultimate insult because to be a Noob nowaday implied that your cognitive potency is in serious jeopardy.

l2p nub.

• megascorchermegascorcher NorwayRegistered User regular
    IKerensky, I grok. I truly miss that feeling of exploration, when everything was new. Now, even with new expansions and sequels and all, it somehow feels like I'm retreading old waters. The wonder is lost. However, I have been in the exact exchange the comic portrays a few times, and I have to side with Illidan Stormrage the Betrayer on this one. Only last week I was called a nub for only having sunk about 250 hours into World of Tanks, unlike the 3-4000 most Tier VIII-X players seem to have.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Comprehension of a genres mechanics does not immediately mean you are good at every game in the genre. Especially in competitive games where the people who play them are by and large people who have the same base understanding (which is a big part of the reason why certain genres struggle to find a larger crowd, because they're intimidating to play as a new player).

Also I can bet money I'll find people who can be 'noobs' at a modern day MMO.

• AradonTemplarAradonTemplar Registered User regular

Have you tried EVEOnline? You may find yourself a bit out of depth there. And if not, I imagine it's because you're able to ask the right questions to get yourself oriented, which is a problem easily solved if you really want the noob experience.

And yes, EVE will let you be a noob all day long.

• tgbennett30tgbennett30 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    And yes, EVE will let you be a noob all day long.

As will SP :-)

tgbennett30 on
  • Aramil01Aramil01 Registered User new member
    I think I was in that same game with you guys with the Diablo that was being Elitiest. I was playing Nova and was trying to get him to go play single player games where he could always win since it was so important to him.

My goal in life is to expand my ego enough to attain mass. From there it will be a simple matter to expand it to the point where it collapses upon itself and forms a black hole. Then the universe will truly revolve around me.
  • Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    Usually I hear the characters in the comic in Gabe or Tycho's voice. This time my head sounds were Illidan and Diablo's voices. I would love to hear their offical VAs do this little exchange.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This comic's about Heroes of the Storm, not an MMO, and I can pretty much guarantee everyone's a noob in that when they start. At best they'll have played Dota or some other LOMA but even that isn't enough to rob you of noobness that lasts at least a little while.

Tycho's post is actually just to bring up the LOMA joke. :rotate:

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    LOMA? Had to look it up...never heard the term before. I thought we were all up in the MOBA terminology.

Anyway, dubbing someone a noob is simply an endless cycle. In one game, a player might perform awesome compared to everyone else, giving them a sense of superiority over others. They'll call the ones failing or perceived to be holding them back "noobs" to justify their own alleged superiority. In another game, the same player will be underperforming and someone else will call him a noob. This continues on and on, unless the player is consistently amazing and not a troll. Then, they'll be great and work to help their underperforming allies play better. This has never happened ;)

I know this, because I totally end up calling people noobs in one game of Smite and then being called a noob in the next, depending on if I'm on my game, playing a champ I'm good with, etc. These communities just breed this kind of behavior.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    LOMA? Never heard of that before, can someone translate it?

steam_sig.png
    Redthirst wrote: »

Lords Management.

It's a joke a podcast made up to replace MOBA.

Lords Management.

It's a joke a podcast made up to replace MOBA.
    Oh, I see it now. Though it can be real - Lords Management and Multiplayer Online Battle Arena are equally obscure when it comes to describe this particular genre.

steam_sig.png
    All MOBA genre names are going to be in accurate because MOBAs are the off spring if elements from pretty much every other genre on the market.

Like I genuinely can't think of an accurate summary for the genre.

All MOBA genre names are going to be in accurate because MOBAs are the off spring if elements from pretty much every other genre on the market.

There isn't. But at least if you tell someone that you are playing an ARTS game, they will get some very basic idea. But if you tell someone that you are playing MOBA, the next question will be "What the hell is MOBA?". Dota-like can be good at describing it, but there are two problems with it:
    1. The person you are talking with needs to know what Dota is.
    2. Nowadays we have games that are defined as MOBAs but are really far from Dota.

steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

There isn't. But at least if you tell someone that you are playing an ARTS game, they will get some very basic idea. But if you tell someone that you are playing MOBA, the next question will be "What the hell is MOBA?". Dota-like can be good at describing it, but there are two problems with it:
    1. The person you are talking with needs to know what Dota is.
    2. Nowadays we have games that are defined as MOBAs but are really far from Dota.
    Which is why LOMA is the superior choice.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I have no idea what an ARTS game is.

Durkhanus wrote: »
    But you have full idea what MOBA is?

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'd rather manage a lord than be a part of a multiplayer online battle arena, aka every competitive game played online.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    This is getting very Shakespearean. That which we call a MOBA by any other name would play as sweet?

Yeah, I'm no spoony bard.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    This?
    Or possibly this.

steam_sig.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    it's too late, nerds -- moba is the name of the genre now, even as vague as it may be when spelled out.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    "Games with god-awful, hyper-competitive, horribly toxic communities that I stay far away from. May also contain lanes and/or jungles."

Commander Zoom on
  • DarkwingGTDarkwingGT Registered User new member
    LMAO. This has already happened to me. I was on Illidan for the first time and we had a 4v5 and our Sgt. Hammer was complaining how horrible we were for losing a 4v5...

• TheRedMagusTheRedMagus The Uncharted Backwaters of the Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm of the GalaxyRegistered User regular
    I was invited to the very first alpha for Smite. I got on as soon as they would let people on the game. And hour in and I had spent two games being called a Fag and a Noob. I have yet to start up that game again. I hate it when good games have a really crappy community; thats also why I stopped playing League of Legends.

• WhyroonWhyroon Registered User regular
    The disturbing thing about this trend is how many of the people doing it are not teenage boys.

I was invited to the very first alpha for Smite. I got on as soon as they would let people on the game. And hour in and I had spent two games being called a Fag and a Noob. I have yet to start up that game again. I hate it when good games have a really crappy community; thats also why I stopped playing League of Legends.

Always play MOBA's drunk or in a group. Definitely learn them with friends.

When all else fails play Awesomenauts because at least that community isn't complete shit until you hit the more serious levels of play.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    My $0.02 for the name debate:
    What makes MOBAs (or whatever) distinct? To me, it's the entire leveling experience of an MMO distilled into a single match. When you PvP in an MMO, there is either a level disparity (ie World PvP) and thus no contest at all, or there is no level disparity (ie Battlegrounds) and the levels are meaningless--thus it's not really much of an RPG while you're in the BG. MOBAs are essentially a contest at how good at leveling you are--which is an awesome idea. The months/years of leveling an MMO character shortened to a single game and turned from a pointless grind before max level into a challenging and competitive arena.
    In theory.
    In practice, MOBAs are defined by being completely unintuitive. The tricks you need to win are the exact opposite of what common gaming logic would suggest, and the primary skills are retarded things like killing your own minions and walking in front of your minions so they get delayed by pathing bugs and don't progress too early. Such a premium is placed on leveling and acquiring gold that all other progress, ie taking out towers (which would seem at first to be the primary goal) is not only not your main goal, but is actively negative and you must prevent that kind of progress by the silly things I just described.
    All that said, the concept is solid if they'd shake off the stupid conventions from the WC3 mod and make it more logical and less elitist. What I described could accurately be called something like RPPvP (since most pvp in RPGs just sheds the entire rpg leveling concept altogether), though that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    All that said, the concept is solid if they'd shake off the stupid conventions from the WC3 mod and make it more logical and less elitist. What I described could accurately be called something like RPPvP (since most pvp in RPGs just sheds the entire rpg leveling concept altogether), though that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Well, denying isn't a thing a thing at all in League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm forgoes individual leveling and items altogether, making it probably the most distilled of the concept, away from the weird nonsense the WC3 engine allowed and whole metagames formed over. But regardless, those things don't stop being people being utter assholes.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Bloodline Champions dumped items and made each match three minutes or so long, but still adhered to some of the MOBAness. It didn't do super well.

What is this I don't even.
  • likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    When someone says "noob" to you, they're not insulting you; they're just trying to inform you that they have the brain of a 13 year old boy & have never known a woman's touch.

likalaruku on