As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of Shield] Thread is under quarantine for potential Captain America 2 spoilers!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    KPC wrote: »
    Not shy about spoiling things, either.
    The identity of the Winter Soldier isn't a spoiler.
    It is to me!

The trailers for the movie spoiled that a long time ago. But it sounds like the Winter Soldier part isn't the real story in the movie.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I had somewhat fallen off the show for a while, but with all the strong ties that Cap2 is suppose to bring to it I decided to check out tonight's episode.

Much, much improved! I'll actually have to keep watching it.

The second episode was terrible, but since then its been a slow and steady improvement each week.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    KPC wrote: »
    Not shy about spoiling things, either.
    The identity of the Winter Soldier isn't a spoiler.
    It is to me!
    The trailers for the movie spoiled that a long time ago. But it sounds like the Winter Soldier part isn't the real story in the movie.
    Not for me it didn't!

jdarksun on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hey guys this isn't a Winter Solider thread. quit spoiling shit even in spoilers it's off topic.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I agree that we shouldn't talk too much about Winter Soldier in this thread and move that discussion to the actual Marvel thread.

However, I would also argue that some discussion of it is not off topic, in fact starting next week, depending on the direction the show takes, the repercussions of the movie will very much be on topic in regards to this show.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I agree that we shouldn't talk too much about Winter Soldier in this thread and move that discussion to the actual Marvel thread.

However, I would also argue that some discussion of it is not off topic, in fact starting next week, depending on the direction the show takes, the repercussions of the movie will very much be on topic in regards to this show.

And that's next week. Believe me, if I could be watching Winter Soldier any earlier than this weekend, I would be, but release dates. So let's keep the Cap2 spoilers to a minimum just a bit longer, please, and then keep them clearly labeled for people that, unlike me, can't run out and see the first US showing on Friday*.

*(That's a lie, I'll end up seeing it Saturday morning.)

Houn on
    Definitely agree with you Houn. We should curb the fallout discussion until next week.

And yea, I already have my ticket for Friday night's showing...this week is dragging. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ditto.

I find some happiness in knowing I'll be watching it at the Alamo Drafthouse, which means assigned seating. So I don't even need to bother to show up super early to snag good seats.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    So SHIELD basically has the authority to
    violate people's rights in their search for people with super powers, supersede the authority of the nation that person is a citizen of, and monitor that person for the rest of their life?

Yeah, SHIELD totally deserves to be destroyed and anyone who went along with their policies should be taken down.

I'll be honest...
    given the fact that SHIELD apparently has the authority to nuke a major US city, them having the authority to violate peoples rights is REALLY low on my list of "Bad things about MCU SHIELD".

Actually, we don't know who gave Fury that order or if SHIELD had the authority to make that decision on their own.
    Heck, the show has already shown why an organization like Shield is a necessary evil: You have scientists creating gravity machines and hurricane creating doom machines, you have organizations creating super soldiers and cyborgs, people with unexplained powers starting to pop up all over the world with iffy mental stability, and alien tech that causes all sorts of problems.

Yea, Shield is needed. Also, they are just as unethical in the comics. :P

Except even in the comics, the good guys have always fought against the mutant registration act. And the mutants are far more powerful than the metahumans who have shown up in this show. So far, we've seen a guy with the power to make a small fire and a guy who may or may not have the power to predict what people might do... sometimes.

And just because the Marvel world needs an organization like SHIELD doesn't mean that SHIELD is doing a good job. The United States needs an organization like the CIA but that doesn't mean that the CIA has done a great job nor does it excuse all the crimes it has committed.

Also, in the comics, the world has been under constant threat of destruction/domination by super villains/aliens/demons/extra-dimensional creatures for decades. Half of New York gets destroyed every week. It takes quite a bit of suspension of disbelief to accept the idea that they even have a functional government in the comics. However in the live action universe, they said in the Avengers that Loki and his Chitauri army was the first major global threat they've actually faced. They're not even close to facing the onslaught of world ending threats that the comics have to deal with. So it might have actually made a bit of sense to see a ramp up of SHIELD's power/authority as they start facing more and more dire threats instead of SHIELD already having an unethical amount of authority already.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Joys of living in a small town, there are more seats then people in a theatre.

In the comics, the Government and Shield put Norman Osborne, a known murderer and psychopath in charge of Shield all because a camera caught him killing one Skrull.

The people of the Marvel universe are morons. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was almost feeling vindicated this episode.
    I was still riding the "Clairvoyant is an AI" theory, and when they revealed that Paralyzed Dude was not actually the Clairvoyant, and Skye started talking about her discoveries, and then someone(thing) took over the plane, I was all I was totally right, and now the AI has taken over the plane!" And then it was just Hand ordering it done, and I was sad.

I guess it could still be the case, and the "Clairvoyant is just a SHIELD dude with security clearance" was a misdirection.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    In the comics, the Government and Shield put Norman Osborne, a known murderer and psychopath in charge of Shield all because a camera caught him killing one Skrull.

People in comics in general are morons. Over at DC, Lex Luthor, the biggest and most infamous super villain in the world, was elected President of the United States.

That's why you can't really adapt too many comic book ideas into live action or it'll break the suspension of disbelief.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I was still riding the "Clairvoyant is an AI" theory, and when they revealed that Paralyzed Dude was not actually the Clairvoyant, and Skye started talking about her discoveries, and then someone(thing) took over the plane, I was all I was totally right, and now the AI has taken over the plane!" And then it was just Hand ordering it done, and I was sad.

I guess it could still be the case, and the "Clairvoyant is just a SHIELD dude with security clearance" was a misdirection.
    Hand is a LMD.

Because we didn't beat that horse hard enough last time.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Previously on Agents of Shield...
    When they showed that the Clairvoyant was a quadriplegic, I immediately though "M.O.D.O.K!"

Curse your teasing ways, Agents of Shield!

kyrcl.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

People in comics in general are morons. Over at DC, Lex Luthor, the biggest and most infamous super villain in the world, was elected President of the United States.

That's why you can't really adapt too many comic book ideas into live action or it'll break the suspension of disbelief.

Single mindedly working on killing what could be the biggest threat to the Human race if he ever becomes unhinged is a pretty good trait in a President.
    I'm kidding.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    It does seem like the writers are reading our forum so they can troll the shit out of us.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hevach wrote: »

Hand is a LMD.

Because we didn't beat that horse hard enough last time.
    Hand is Vision. Confirmed.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Previously on Agents of Shield...
    When they showed that the Clairvoyant was a quadriplegic, I immediately though "M.O.D.O.K!"

Curse your teasing ways, Agents of Shield!

Well it is
    Brad Dourif. It wouldn't be the first time he comes back to life in an artificial body.

When I saw who it was, I thought "cool, two Deadwood alumni on AoS."

kyrcl.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Also, in the comics, the world has been under constant threat of destruction/domination by super villains/aliens/demons/extra-dimensional creatures for decades. Half of New York gets destroyed every week. It takes quite a bit of suspension of disbelief to accept the idea that they even have a functional government in the comics. However in the live action universe, they said in the Avengers that Loki and his Chitauri army was the first major global threat they've actually faced. They're not even close to facing the onslaught of world ending threats that the comics have to deal with. So it might have actually made a bit of sense to see a ramp up of SHIELD's power/authority as they start facing more and more dire threats instead of SHIELD already having an unethical amount of authority already.

Fighting alien invasions is new, their job isn't. SHIELD has been containing and suppressing threats to humanity for decades before Tony Stark got his suit. Like Coulson said in Iron Man that wasn't their first rodeo. They'be been saving the world against super-villains from WW II if we're counting their predecessor SSR. On the show they've been hunting a terrorist network that is creating super-soldiers, cyborgs and gravity machines. I do agree they do overstep their bounds. The agency was never squeaky clean, they exist in the gray that's why Nick Fury is one of its best leaders.

Harry Dresden on
    Wow, AV Club gave the episode a positive review.

Has that ever happened before?

Fury is the spy. His secrets have secrets.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    See, and when I saw that shot of the paraplegic I immediately thought it would be Tim Blake Nelson. Since those are the exact consequences he described if any normal person got exposed to Bruce Banner's level of Gamma. That and they keep making references to the events in The Incredible Hulk. They've name-dropped Blonski a half-dozen times and Banner in the Avengers made several references to what happened in Harlem.

I will not lose hope.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    You know, when I think about it, Bill Paxton's scene with Skye was weird. Like out of place in the episode.
    Comparing scars? Showing her his 3rd degree burns that he has got underneath his shirt. Only sickos think that is a turn on. No, it was more like foreshadowing to me. At the start of the episode he has Deathlock in his sights with a heavy rifle at point blank range. He could have easily have shot him in the head, but didn't.

What if the burn scar was his way of trying to warn Skye? He was under the Clairvoyants control and the burn was from when he was captured. If the burn wasn't in his medical files it would be a dead give away, but him talking about it would sound natural to the Clairvoyant since it was just "comparing scars".

Or am I being smarter than the show again?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    You know, when I think about it, Bill Paxton's scene with Skye was weird. Like out of place in the episode.
    Comparing scars? Showing her his 3rd degree burns that he has got underneath his shirt. Only sickos think that is a turn on. No, it was more like foreshadowing to me. At the start of the episode he has Deathlock in his sights with a heavy rifle at point blank range. He could have easily have shot him in the head, but didn't.

What if the burn scar was his way of trying to warn Skye? He was under the Clairvoyants control and the burn was from when he was captured. If the burn wasn't in his medical files it would be a dead give away, but him talking about it would sound natural to the Clairvoyant since it was just "comparing scars".

Or am I being smarter than the show again?
    Paxton is definitely acting shady. He's SHIELD's Vic Mackey or he's on the Clairvoyant's payroll.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    It would be a pleasant surprise if (I guess I'll spoiler this?)
    Paxton ISN'T a traitor. I'm truly sick of the 'former mentor/pal turned evil for reasons' thing. Just, make him a solid ally?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    If Garret ends up being a traitor, I'll be very upset, as I love the actor and his character. I took their conversation as him just comparing war wounds to what Skye went through. It's not an unheard of habit.

Honestly, here is what I think will happen:
    Garret won't be the traitor, but Triplett will be. Garret will either be severely wounded or killed when Trip's true allegiance comes to light. It'll also deal a major blow to Simmons and who she puts her trust in.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    If Garret ends up being a traitor, I'll be very upset, as I love the actor and his character. I took their conversation as him just comparing war wounds to what Skye went through. It's not an unheard of habit.

Honestly, here is what I think will happen:
    Garret won't be the traitor, but Triplett will be. Garret will either be severely wounded or killed when Trip's true allegiance comes to light. It'll also deal a major blow to Simmons and who she puts her trust in.

My theory:
    "Here's the third degree burn I got when a target tossed a Flaming Red Herring at me..."

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Wow, AV Club gave the episode a positive review.

Has that ever happened before?

They'd been giving B's for a while now, I think.

http://www.avclub.com/tv/marvels-agents-of-shield/

e: Spoiler: don't read the comments.

Jragghen on
    I don't see Garrett as being a traitor in the sense that he's a double agent, but he does seem like someone with flexible ethics. I can see him working with or against Coulson's Scoobies depending on circumstance, in a "Sorry I gotta do this, man, but hey, you know" sorta way.

Maybe Paxton was stunt casted so the audience would immediately like the character.

Patiently waiting for a "game over" line to show up in an episode.

kyrcl.png
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wish this last episode was longer! Things kept happening and escalating and it was all very well done. At least the wait is only a week... or more because I have to wait to see Cap 2 first.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I don't see Garrett as being a traitor in the sense that he's a double agent, but he does seem like someone with flexible ethics. I can see him working with or against Coulson's Scoobies depending on circumstance, in a "Sorry I gotta do this, man, but hey, you know" sorta way.

Note I am not saying he is a traitor, I am saying that maybe he is under the Clairvoyants thumb. Like Deathlock and the Shield Agent from earlier in the season.(or the Centipede soldiers in the midseason).

Captured, Implanted with a cybereye and force into betraying his buddies on pain of instadeath.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.

Fighting alien invasions is new, their job isn't. SHIELD has been containing and suppressing threats to humanity for decades before Tony Stark got his suit. Like Coulson said in Iron Man that wasn't their first rodeo. They'be been saving the world against super-villains from WW II if we're counting their predecessor SSR. On the show they've been hunting a terrorist network that is creating super-soldiers, cyborgs and gravity machines. I do agree they do overstep their bounds. The agency was never squeaky clean, they exist in the gray that's why Nick Fury is one of its best leaders.

And the CIA, along with other intelligence and law enforcement agencies, has been combating terrorists long before 9/11. However, their funding, power, and authority were greatly expanded after 9/11. Again, just because we need something like the CIA, doesn't mean that CIA has actually been doing a good job or that they haven't done terrible things in the past.

The same logic applies to SHIELD. How many MK-ULTRA, Bay of Pigs, Iran/Contra type programs/operations has SHIELD been a part of? Considering some of the things they did on the show which had little or nothing to do with protecting humanity and seemed more politically motivated, and no one ever questioned their actions, I'm guessing that either SHIELD or the nations backing SHIELD has been using the "we need an organization with this kind of authority/power to protect the world" as an excuse to further their own agendas.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just hope not. Even though it's only been two episodes he's my favorite character in the series :)

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Note I am not saying he is a traitor, I am saying that maybe he is under the Clairvoyants thumb. Like Deathlock and the Shield Agent from earlier in the season.(or the Centipede soldiers in the midseason).

Captured, Implanted with a cybereye and force into betraying his buddies on pain of instadeath.

Urrgh. I mean... I don't hate the idea, but I really hope they don't follow the comics' route and start using brainwashing and hypnosis and LMDs and whatnot all over, basically just so they can have good guys turn bad all of a sudden as a surprise last page twist! And then bring back the "good guy" later after having "cured" her/him so the comic can continue on as though nothing happened.

edited April 2014

And the CIA, along with other intelligence and law enforcement agencies, has been combating terrorists long before 9/11. However, their funding, power, and authority were greatly expanded after 9/11. Again, just because we need something like the CIA, doesn't mean that CIA has actually been doing a good job or that they haven't done terrible things in the past.

The same logic applies to SHIELD. How many MK-ULTRA, Bay of Pigs, Iran/Contra type programs/operations has SHIELD been a part of? Considering some of the things they did on the show which had little or nothing to do with protecting humanity and seemed more politically motivated, and no one ever questioned their actions, I'm guessing that either SHIELD or the nations backing SHIELD has been using the "we need an organization with this kind of authority/power to protect the world" as an excuse to further their own agendas.

What things has SHIELD been involved with on the show that's been solely politically motivated? Coulson's team has been fighting legitimate threats over the season. Are you talking about what they did to rescue Skye? Skye questions their actions, especially in the first half of the season. Everyone on Coulson's team has questioned each other and Coulson himself. Coulson's team has butted heads with Hand. It's film SHIELD that has severe trust issues and Coulson's team act like Charlie's Angels compared to them.

Agencies like SHIELD will have actors exploiting it for their own ends, that's natural and it'd be unrealistic not to occur in the MCU. The agency is needed in the MCU to combat threats like Centipede and god knows what else is on Earth. Replace them with any private or government agency and you're going to get a similar response to the world they're in. SHIELD exists in a universe that's worse than ours with threats to humanity. Not that I agree with all their decisions.

Harry Dresden on

What things has SHIELD been involved with on the show that's been solely politically motivated? Coulson's team has been fighting legitimate threats over the season. Are you talking about what they did to rescue Skye? Skye questions their actions, especially in the first half of the season. Everyone on Coulson's team has questioned each other and Coulson himself. Coulson's team has butted heads with Hand. It's film SHIELD that has severe trust issues and Coulson's team act like Charlie's Angels compared to them.

Agencies like SHIELD will have actors exploiting it for their own ends, that's natural and it'd be unrealistic not to occur in the MCU. The agency is needed in the MCU to combat threats like Centipede and god knows what else is on Earth. Replace them with any private or government agency and you're going to get a similar response to the world they're in. SHIELD exists in a universe that's worse than ours with threats to humanity. Not that I agree with all their decisions.

The second episode was politically motivated. They stole a piece of technology from a sovereign power. The episode where Hand sent Ward and Fitz on a mission was politically motivated. They sabotaged a separatist movement that was trying to gain independence from Russia.

And I don't expect SHIELD to be free of corruption. However, I do expect people to question some of the shady things they're asked to do. Heck, recently on Arrow, you had a shadowy government agency that tried to something that was clearly wrong and people questioned it, stopped it, and plenty of viewers pointed out how ridiculous Waller's plan was.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I think it has to be at least Triplett who is working for the Clairvoyant, based on how he primed Ward to kill the suspect. Also, did we find out if anything from the Guest House found it's way onto official reports? Because if not, the fact that Clairvoyant knew what happened there radically reduces the list of suspects.

This discussion has been closed.