As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb], Greasy Ham

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have Earthworm Jim toys somewhere. It was great!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    in spider-man 2 I climbed to the top of the empire state building and looked down and I legit got freaked out by being so high up

also when I was watching the peter jackson version of king kong I was more freaked out by when they were all running around on top of the empire state building than I was by that scene where they were getting attacked by parasites or whatever, like "GET DOWN FROM THERE JESUS CHRIST DO YOU REALIZE HOW HIGH UP YOU ARE, FUCK"

This happens to me in every Assassin's creed game.

and I LOVE it.

Any game that makes heights feel legit scary is doing a good job.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The fuckin worm things in King Kong still freak me out

That scene is a pretty good arguement for Jackson needing an editor

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Climbing up the Hegia Sophia in AC Revelations was the best part of that game.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    King Kong is mostly a seven hour blur for me, but I definitely remember being weirded out by the cruel, agonising deaths of minor side characters

• Options
    I don't understand why peter jackson movies all need to be butt numbingly long.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    How long was Frighteners?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if I can't see the bottom I flip out. even if it's in a game. you remember the horde druid quest in wow? I was about the only druid running around without aquatic form.

• Options
    IMDB tells me 110 minutes which is super short for a Jackson Movie.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    if I can't see the bottom I flip out. even if it's in a game. you remember the horde druid quest in wow? I was about the only druid running around without aquatic form.
    I'm a rogue and barely take fall damage now.

I jumped off of like, tallest tower in the valley of strength...

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

I can't watch that scene. It comes on and I leave the room.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I absolutely hate heights in real life, but in most games I don't have that trouble. Occasionally though, it happens pretty badly. I've done numerous playthroughs of Dark Souls and every time I have to cross the rafters in the painting building in Anor Londo my hands get all sweaty and my heart beats faster. I've never even fallen off the damn things.

It's something specific about that area, too. I don't get the same effect in Sen's Fortress, for example, or when descending the Great Hollow. It's weird. And of course games like Saints Row 4 allow you to get that high with specific mechanics to let you descend safely, so it doesn't happen there either. But that damn church, every single time.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

yeah but they're running around on top of that building and there are no railings and there's a GIANT GORILLA flailing around and there are airplanes and it's like JESUS CHRIST GET DOWN FROM THERE

• Options
    He could have made the Hobbit into one movie about a half hour shorter than the first movie ended up being.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I must not remember king kong very well. I remember he broke the trex's jaw and there was a hole with some giant insects.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

God damn I love that movie. I had no idea it was from PJ.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »

God damn I love that movie. I had no idea it was from PJ.

Yup. It even has that trademark car of his in it.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    A Star Wars game with Visceral combat and Amy Hennig characters and storytelling sounds perfect

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I would love to see Amy Hennig hit somebody with a perfectplex.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    So SOMA makes me wonder if other people feel how I do about horror films/games/etc

I always find the mechanics/backstory of horror stuff super interesting

I wanna know how the curse works, why the ghost goes after certain types of people, I wanna know how this place became abandoned, stuff like that

But I rarely actually enjoy the part where people stumble onto the setting and get murdered

For this reason I absolutely love stuff like scp foundation, and even things like Lovecraft because they typically cut off after the setup really, but don't like horror movies or most games

I wonder if this is a thing or if I'm super weird

This basically describes my attitude. I love learning about the mechanics of spooky things. SCP is the perfect drug for me, people finding out how these creatures' powers work, if there's a limit to how much blood comes out of the walls, if you can just burn down the haunted forest, stuff like that.

see that kind of thing can be kind of fun, but I dunno if I'd necessarily call it "horror"

horror is all about NOT knowing how stuff works. Either because something surprises you (guy jumping out of the bushes!) or because something happens that contradicts your understanding of how the world works (walls bleeding for example).

like the cliche of a lovecraft story is people investigating things that turn out to be impossible for the human brain to comprehend and they go crazy

so if you dig too deep into backstory and explaining things and that kind of thing, you run the risk of killing the magic. It's the same reason monster movies try and hide what the monster looks like, because once you see it you can start to understand it and learn to not fear it.

blood and gore in and of itself really isn't "horror" either to my mind. I feel like there's a difference between whether something is disturbing and whether it's horrific. Disturbing imagery can be a component of horror but they're not the same thing I don't think.

i feel like in general the twilight zone is some of the best horror i've seen. it very rarely feels the need to explain itself, and is just content to let bad things happen for no reason. One of my favorite TZ episodes is about three astronauts that temporarily vanish from the radar during a mission, and shortly after they return, one of them vanishes and nobody but the other two astronauts remember him ever existing. All evidence points to the fact that there was only two astronauts on the mission. And then a little later, the second astronaut disappears. The remaining astronaut has a nervous breakdown and gets put in the hospital. A nurse brings him a cup of water, and the camera tracks her as she leaves the room, and comes back with a vase of flowers, which she puts on an end table that's in the space that the astronaut's bed was in a second ago. There's no indication of why it's happening, which creates panic because it means there's nothing to do about it. Some cosmic force more powerful than humanity is erasing these guys from existence and they can do nothing but wait for it to happen. That's scary! It's also both not gory and doesn't explain itself in the slightest.

Hmmm, that's true. I guess I like the "exploring the unknown" aspect of horror. Something like that Twilight Zone episode is weird, but not necessarily effective, to me. "Weird / bad things are happening for no apparent reason" just doesn't work for me. I really enjoy Lovecraft's style of horror, where, to use a particularly Lovecraftian turn of phrase, a terrible truth is gradually revealed.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

I just looked this up on youtube.

Nope. Not sleeping tonight.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Anyone else remember the Earthworm Jim cartoon?

EARTHWOOORM JIM

THROUGH SOIL HE DID CRAWL
    EARTHWOOORM JIM
    A SUPERSUIT DID FALL
    JIM WAS JUST A DIRT-EATING CHEWY LENGTH OF WORMFLESH,
    'TIL ALL THAT CAME TO A CRASHING END, SPLAT!

EARTHWOOORM JIM
    HE'S SUCH A GROOVY GUY
    EARTHWOOORM JIM
    HE ROCKETS THROUGH THE SKY

CRUISIN' THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, HAVIN' LOTS OF FUN--

wh

mmmmm

i think i just had a stroke

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I would say horror can also be linked to discovery, and in some cases knowing too much

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    earthworm jin and ratfist creator doug tennappel once called my roommate an lgbt related slur when she met the guy

she was previously a fan

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    earthworm jin and ratfist creator doug tennappel once called my roommate an lgbt related slur when she met the guy

she was previously a fan

Doug Tennappel is human garbage

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    yeah the fact that I loved earthworm jim as a little kid does not change the fact that the guy who created it is a piece of shit

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Anyone else remember the Earthworm Jim cartoon?

EARTHWOOORM JIM

THROUGH THE SOIL HE DID CRAWL

no lie, I was absolutely obsessed with Earthworm Jim. It was intense.

• Options
    YOU'RE TOO LATE RONNIE I ALREADY DID THAT

• Options
    i'm sorry i yelled at you ronnie

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Is it any surprise that Mike Nelson is starring in his new game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    ah sorry i'm late to the convo. didn't know that stuff

• Options
    I reiterate
    Wait no.

Just fuck Doug TeNepal.

• Options
    i went through a thought process there for a second that basically just ended with "I wish people wouldn't be bigots"

which, i mean, is true

but it's also just about the most banal thing there is to say on the situation

• Options
    i went through a thought process there for a second that basically just ended with "I wish people wouldn't be bigots"

which, i mean, is true

listen

A lot of good stuff comes from the basic thought "people shouldn't be assholes"

• Options

which, i mean, is true

listen

A lot of good stuff comes from the basic thought "people shouldn't be assholes"

weirdly though also a lot of bad stuff???

• Options
    I don't think you can tie those to not being assholes

They mostly involve adhering to dogma

• Options
    I don't think you can tie those to not being assholes

They mostly involve adhering to dogma

dogma that was founded around a dude who said "hey yo

don't be assholes"

This discussion has been closed.