As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2014 Magical Mystery Tour (Wed&Thu adventuring)

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    assuming we are all dug out from the storm headed our way today and tomorrow (35-50 cm i.e. 14-20 inches), we should be up for some adventuring Thrusday as well. Winter is not done with us yet darnit!

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    so it's too late for voting this year, but my Boston friend recommends this:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/warren-anatomical-museum

She says "Warning, it's gross".

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I'm sorry guys. We're stuck in scheduling limbo while I'm talking to people at places. I can give you the teaser of what I'm trying to do: Wednesday I'm trying for Fenway, Harpoon, and Taza (not necessarily in that order). And Thursday I'm looking at pastries, aquarium, and Sam Adams (again not in order). It looks like I'll need a head count for 1 or 2 places beforehand but I'll keep you posted and I'll send out messages if that is the case.

HI3789R.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    so it's too late for voting this year, but my Boston friend recommends this:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/warren-anatomical-museum

She says "Warning, it's gross".

9HY53al.gif

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    Oh man, I missed this last year and I definitely don't want to miss it this year. Count me and possibly 3 more in! I'll know for sure by tomorrow night.

• ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I might join you guys for the Aquarium bit. Y'know, seeing as how I work there. ;)

question: is Sam Adams able to be visited by minors with a parent ??? We arrive Thursday morning ... so I would be up for after lunch aquarium ????

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    From last year I believe so. They just can't have any beer (I believe Sam Adams has root beer available)

• gihzmogihzmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Two of us are arriving Wednesday morning, but there are several spots on your list I would like to visit. When do you think you will have your schedule up as to when you will be where? It would be great to get to see the sights plus meet some new friends.

I think we should both be in by about noon..

gihzmo on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Thurs looks fun to us. @Raisinbram & @thebrawnyman and I should be attending, assuming no delays or oversleeps.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    GhostDan wrote: »
    From last year I believe so. They just can't have any beer (I believe Sam Adams has root beer available)

What? No beer? That's bullshit! I'm never going there as a minor again!

7B14287.png
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    What? No beer? That's bullshit! I'm never going there as a minor again!

We can't help it if your 'boyish good looks' make you look 12 Peet.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I might be able to come out on Thursday for some stuff, but it's up in the air.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    I just finalized plans with Fenway. We are scheduled for a tour at 9:30am on Wednesday. I will need a head count ahead of time because I have to pay on Tuesday. adults are $15 and children are $9. I'll send out messages later today.

HI3789R.png
    Wednesday's schedule is set:
    8:30 meetup at Boston Common [Park St]
    9:00 travel time
    9:30 Fenway (prepay required!) [Kenmore]
    10:30 travel time
    11:30 lunch - Sunset Grill and Tap [Packard's Corner]
    12:45 travel time
    2:00 Taza chocolate (prepay required!) [69 bus]
    3:00 travel time
    4:00 Harpoon (prepay required!)

I do need to pay for each of these in advance (excluding lunch) so I made this handy dandy eventbrite page for you to order tickets.

Fenway: I have to pay for this on Tuesday. I *might* be able to add people after that, but it's not a sure-thing. Let me know if you need more children/adult tickets. (I just sort of guessed at what we might have)

Sunset: yes, we're going back this year after I said we might not. This year we are not dawdling though because we've prepaid for our next stop and we have to be there on time.

Taza: I've already out some money down on this one. We are technically part of a public tour because I couldn't make their private tours work for us. (And they charge abut twice as much for a private tour.) So I already purchased a number (that number is 9) of tickets for the tour. I can purchase more as we need them, but can't make a promise on exactly how many more.

Harpoon: this has the most leeway. Tickets are only available day-of, so I'll be sending someone that one morning to pick up tickets for all of us. I still need the head count and money in advance.

HI3789R.png
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    question: is Sam Adams able to be visited by minors with a parent ??? We arrive Thursday morning ... so I would be up for after lunch aquarium ????

Yes, minors are allowed and yes, root beer is available during the tasting. We're likely doing it in the morning though, so it likely won't matter for you.

HI3789R.png
  • MagicSwordKingMagicSwordKing | (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I'll try to apparate after I arrive in Boston around noon, don't entirely know what my schedule is looking like, but it should be fun.

Aperture Safety Personal Observation Tester for Aperture Testing and Observation, Honorary Alphanaut, Grandmaster of the Tychonian Guard, Chronicler of the House of Brahe, Senior Editor for Mustache News, Agent of O.S.P.R.E.Y., PAX COPS Detective Inspector, and PAX Tours Saboteur.

"I think he starts in reality and ends in fantasy."
    "No he starts in fantasy and ends in chaos."
    -Anonymous
    On Thursday, I'm thinking of moving our normal meeting spot from the Common to the prePAX breakfast (thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184123/pre-pax-the-third-annual-except-for-that-one-year-pre-pax-breakfast#latest). Time wise, we either have 3 hours at the aquarium, or I push everything back an hour to make room for breakfast and we leave there at 10. If anyone is super concerned about finding their way to breakfast, I can do a meetup at the t stop for the BCEC (world trade center stop on silver line).
    So, breakfast? Good plan?

HI3789R.png
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    On Thursday, I'm thinking of moving our normal meeting spot from the Common to the prePAX breakfast (thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184123/pre-pax-the-third-annual-except-for-that-one-year-pre-pax-breakfast#latest). Time wise, we either have 3 hours at the aquarium, or I push everything back an hour to make room for breakfast and we leave there at 10. If anyone is super concerned about finding their way to breakfast, I can do a meetup at the t stop for the BCEC (world trade center stop on silver line).
    So, breakfast? Good plan?

That works out for my fiance and I... Not 100% if @chupamiubre is coming along also but I'll say it should work for him too :P

• melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    I'm cool with thursday plans. I'd prefer meeting on the silver line at the world trade center. What else is on line for Thursday?

melzway wrote: »
    I'm cool with thursday plans. I'd prefer meeting on the silver line at the world trade center. What else is on line for Thursday?

It might change, but this is the likely schedule for Thursday:
    8:00 meet up @ World Trade Center stop
    8:30 breakfast @ friendly toast
    10:00 travel time
    11:00 Sam Adams
    12:00 travel time
    1:00 lunch @ Faneuil hall/ Quincy market
    2:00 walk over to pastries
    3:00 travel time
    3:30 aquarium

None of these will require prepay, but I think you can purchase tickets for the aquarium on their site (link is in the OP) if you want to not wait in line when we get there.

HI3789R.png
  • melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    Sounds fun!

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Their website says if you bring a valid student ID they give you three dollars off... Not sure if that works with out of state students but perhaps worth a try if anyone else is still in college

• TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    The Thursday itinerary looks great. My husband and I can meet up with the tour at Friendly Toast and do all of the tour that day except the aquarium. Thanks for pulling this all together.

PAX West 2016: Badges [x] Pre-PAX Dinner: [x] TWDT: [x] Slytherin DE House Elf Cookies baked for Cookie Brigade: TBD August 2016
  • trajetretrajetre Professional Jawa VancouverRegistered User new member
    Both days sound like a lot of fun! Count me in! I look forward to exploring Boston with you all while my partner is off slaying OmegaDragons at the BCEC.

• KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I will most likely miss the Sam Adams tour since I have to grab the hotel room, but I'll meet up with everyone either for lunch or at the Aquarium.

edited April 2014
    Thursday schedule officially added to OP, complete with public transit stops for each location.

Remember! If you want to join us on Wednesday, you need to prepay or else you will be a sad panda.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • KaladinKaladin Western NYRegistered User regular
    Depending on what time the rest of the people in my room get in, I may meet you all at the aquarium on Thursday. I didnt get to go last time I was in Boston.

• quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    Got my Eventbrite tickets for Wednesday. Looking forward to exploring Boston Wednesday and Thursday.

Become a Star Citizen
  • clickpictonyclickpictony Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll be getting in Wednesday evening so I would love to join Thursday MMT with a +1, if that is still possible.

edited April 2014
    Will prob meet up at pastries .... Thurs that is ...

aBByNormaL on
    I'll be getting in Wednesday evening so I would love to join Thursday MMT with a +1, if that is still possible.

Absolutely. Thursday is come in and out as you please. [phrasing!] It's only Wednesday that I need a firm head count for.

As for everyone who has already purchased tickets for Wednesday, thank you! I'm hoping to get at least 5 more people for Fenway so I can break even (I have to pay for at least 12 people for a private tour).

HI3789R.png
  • fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    We'll be making it to all of Thursday's events - from the silver line meetup onward. :)

If we are able to make it to the Wednesday tours will depend on when we get in and then settled at the hotel (which made us miss all of Wednesday's tour last year), so I can't commit ahead of time. Sorry! I really wish I could. :( If we are able to catch up at Taza or Harpoon, will it be ok if we join then? (understanding that it will depend on if there are even still public tour tickets left that late in the afternoon)

I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • gihzmogihzmo Registered User regular
    Add 2 more to your list. Not sure how much we will make it to on Wednesday, but we should be there for everything on Thursday.

re pastries ... is that Modern Pastry on Hanover just to be sure ???

If we are able to catch up at Taza or Harpoon, will it be ok if we join then? (understanding that it will depend on if there are even still public tour tickets left that late in the afternoon)

You got it exactly right: you're welcome to join us...if you can still get tickets then. Being a week day, it's not totally out of the question.
    re pastries ... is that Modern Pastry on Hanover just to be sure ???

Yes, we're going to the Boston location on Hanover, not the Medford location.

HI3789R.png
    Do we know where you will be lunching on Thursday or is it just generally in Fanueil ... just to make easier to find folks

• cthonickimbacthonickimba BC, CanadaRegistered User new member
    This is awesome. Totally in for Thursday

Do we know where you will be lunching on Thursday or is it just generally in Fanueil ... just to make easier to find folks

There's a big Gina's food court with a central seating area. We'll be someone in the seating area. Just look for the nerdy folks. Possibly also a light blue flag if I get it back tomorrow...

Anyone planning to join up with us during the day, remember to watch the twitter feed (@pax_mmt) for updates. I will tweet throughout each day so that is the best and most up to date info. I will NOT be checking the forums at any point during the tour, so posting here won't do you any good.

HI3789R.png
    I just tried to buy a couple more tickets for Taza and it's sold out :( I might have 1 spare, but we'll see what happens

HI3789R.png