As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So apparently The Winter Soldier is a pretty COOL [Superhero Movie]

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone seen the preview for the next issue of What If?: Age Of Ultron?
    WHATIFAOU2014002-int2-1-a0d02.jpg

Guess the temporal-echo quakes ARE turning lethal. This issue also has a possibly-teenaged Ghost Rider on a flaming hover-bike.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    qo16z7bxchro.jpg
    This is just a variant cover for Original Sin but....man I would read the hell out of an Ant-Man: Agent of SHIELD series where he is a tiny detective

CYpGAPn.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm basically echoinh what others have said, I would be totally fine with Steve being gay but I don't think movie Steve is or is heavily implied to be gay.he has a close friendship with Bucky sure but he has had a female love interest before and expresses interest in other women.

I'm also conscious of the fact that saying "oh man those two guys have a loving friendship what a pair of queers" is kind of a gauche thing people do. I don't know, maybe if I watched it again I'd feel differently.

From what I have read, I think the other thing is they do not highlight Sharon really at all.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    any time you can agree with literally all of tumblr you've gotta do it, right?

but I mean, I thought it was fairly well established in the first film that steve hasn't exactly had a ton of success with women before. In the MCU his 'effective' age would be what, like 20 or 21? Plus he had his whole set of social norms turned upside down at like age 19.

He's like a kid raised in a small, religious town who goes off to a major uni and has no idea whatsoever how to talk to the women there

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Langly wrote: »
    I'm basically echoinh what others have said, I would be totally fine with Steve being gay but I don't think movie Steve is or is heavily implied to be gay.he has a close friendship with Bucky sure but he has had a female love interest before and expresses interest in other women.

I'm also conscious of the fact that saying "oh man those two guys have a loving friendship what a pair of queers" is kind of a gauche thing people do. I don't know, maybe if I watched it again I'd feel differently.

From what I have read, I think the other thing is they do not highlight Sharon really at all.
    Fiege recently said that they wanted to put her in TWS because while she has a small role she will be important in the future and they felt it was worth setting up.

CYpGAPn.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    CAPMARV2014002-int2-3-4e593.jpg

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    A cat named Chewie.

Awesome

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I really should pick up the new Captain Marvel series. I just feel like I need to drop something else first.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    At the local IMAX for TWS. Lights dimming.

Yay.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Hawkeye the one that remotely resembles the inspiration.

I think that guy was definitely inspired by Aja's art. He's the only designer that they showed actually sitting down and reading the comics instead of just skimming through them.

0mxInxF.png

I dunno, the Falcon outfit has a lot of the same hallmarks, though the colors are totally different, and the shapes are shifted around a bit..

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have no idea how to embed this but here's a bit of the opening scene from next week's Agents of SHIELD

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=116808

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    A cat named Chewie.

Awesome

I think it's worth pointing out that she had to take Chewie with her because Rhodey refused to take care of her while Carol is gone

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Entertainment Weekly called Thor: The Dark World the Batman & Robin of the MCU.

Come. The. Fuck. On.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I do, in fact, want to see those clips

I am resisting

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ok so random thoughts/questions

AoS and Cap 2 spoilers
    it sucks that Sitwell was apparently full-in on Hydra. He an Coulson seemed to be buds

I did love how Zola showed up in this. There's only one more step for him to be full on comics Zola now

Either the Clairvoyant is Zola's algorithm, or more likely some upper SHIELD/Hydra agent using the algorithm

I'm not really sure what the deal was with Falcon & Crossbones' fight near the end. I thought Crossbones was going up to the meeting room where Pierce was. Also, who was Crossbones' team member they kept showing? The guy that he stopped from executing Cap on live TV; they seemed to fixate on him a few times

Ceno wrote: »

Come. The. Fuck. On.
    What in the world

It isn't even the worst Thor movie!

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I liked Thor 2 just fine

It seems to have went and gone without people caring too much though?

That's just how it seems to me, I don't know

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Come. The. Fuck. On.
    What in the world

It isn't even the worst Thor movie!

No kidding. Iron Man 2 is way more of a mess and Incredible Hulk did not great in theaters.

They're just trolling for hits, probably.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Ok so random thoughts/questions

AoS and Cap 2 spoilers
    it sucks that Sitwell was apparently full-in on Hydra. He an Coulson seemed to be buds

I did love how Zola showed up in this. There's only one more step for him to be full on comics Zola now

Either the Clairvoyant is Zola's algorithm, or more likely some upper SHIELD/Hydra agent using the algorithm

I'm not really sure what the deal was with Falcon & Crossbones' fight near the end. I thought Crossbones was going up to the meeting room where Pierce was. Also, who was Crossbones' team member they kept showing? The guy that he stopped from executing Cap on live TV; they seemed to fixate on him a few times
    Jack Rollins, an agent that infiltrated Roxxon back in the 80s

• KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    I liked Thor 2 just fine

It seems to have went and gone without people caring too much though?

That's just how it seems to me, I don't know

Huh? It did about the same worldwide as MoS. Huge overseas. Very well domestic.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Just going off those two clips and last week's episode--

I was never one of the big AoS detractors, but it definitely struggled a lot and while it was almost always improving, the improvements always felt like too little too late

But now it's suddenly the show I had wanted it to be in the first place, and it's really exciting

And yeah, some of that is based on things they set up a while ago, but it really feels like they suddenly switched to new writers and directors out of nowhere, it feels nothing like the show did before, even during its better episodes like Fzzt or Tracks

Heck, I don't think they've ever used music outside of the score before, let alone used music as effectively as they did in that first clip

And the characters actually seem to improve with a little less focus

I dunno, it's just the weirdest thing

but I mean I like it, so

I don't really think AoS's uptick in quality is all that weird. Previously yes, it did seem like they were throwing things at the wall to see what would stick. But I think we are past that phase

I mean, it's quite often that shows take a while to find their footing, usually it doesn't even happen in the first season.

Also, more Cap 2 spoilers
    did it seem weird to anyone else that Tony Stark helped SHIELD with the new Helicarrier engines? Aside from him not liking SHIELD in the first place, engines for an overpowering piece of military hardware seems "weaponized" to me. Feels a bit out of character

Not that the line crossed for weaponization is a clear one, I mean his repulsors began as "flight stabilizers" after all

did it seem weird to anyone else that Tony Stark helped SHIELD with the new Helicarrier engines? Aside from him not liking SHIELD in the first place, engines for an overpowering piece of military hardware seems "weaponized" to me. Feels a bit out of character

Not that the line crossed for weaponization is a clear one, I mean his repulsors began as "flight stabilizers" after all
    Nick probably just mentioned they were for the next generation of Helicarriers and didn't mention what they would be used for

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't have the full context but
    it's entirely possible they didn't tell him what he was really working on; either that or, since they have the Iron Patriot suit, they were able to develop them from the Stark tech in that

Grey Ghost wrote: »

it's entirely possible they didn't tell him what he was really working on; either that or, since they have the Iron Patriot suit, they were able to develop them from the Stark tech in that
    Nah, it is explicit.

CYpGAPn.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Woo hoo!

Got my tix for Cap tomorrow morning at 11.

Grey Ghost wrote: »

You haven't seen the movie yet, but
    Fury mentions that it was specifically Stark that "had suggestions after he got a close look at [their] old turbines"

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know captain America came out today till my lil Bro asked if I wanted to go watch it with him and his friend in an hour

Fortuitous!!

lfYVHTd.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    It seems like I am literally the only person in the world who thought they were trying to imply that Captain America is gay.
    Not gay.

A virgin. We can smell each other.

Nick probably just mentioned they were for the next generation of Helicarriers and didn't mention what they would be used for

More Cap 2 stuff

I'm sure that
    there was no mention of anything close to Hydra's plan, but even the Helicarrier in Avengers was basically a weapon

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I kiiiind of geeked out over
    Zola.

I know he's probably not going to show up again.

For what he was though, I cannot imagine any better translation of him to the MCU.

That was really, really good.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

More Cap 2 stuff

I'm sure that
    there was no mention of anything close to Hydra's plan, but even the Helicarrier in Avengers was basically a weapon

And more Cap 2 +meta stuff
    Given the number of times they name dropped Stark, I was having a REALLY hard time believing that at no point would Cap just call him up all "hey, you put turbines in these things, right? Well they're going to murder everyone wanna lend a brother a hand?" The Marvel Universe is getting too small to justify one "big leaguer" per movie.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Zola.

For what he was though, I cannot imagine any better translation of him to the MCU.

I had the biggest grin on my face during that scene

I looked like a kid who has been given all the candy in the world
    I hope he comes back

he probably won't, but I can dream

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Dys wrote: »
    Zola.

I had the biggest grin on my face during that scene

I looked like a kid who has been given all the candy in the world
    I hope he comes back

he probably won't, but I can dream
    Dude had access to the internet. My friend refuses to believe that bunker was his only copy. He just might not have told Pierce he made a back-up of himself somewhere.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    Narbus wrote: »

More Cap 2 stuff

I'm sure that

And more Cap 2 +meta stuff
    Given the number of times they name dropped Stark, I was having a REALLY hard time believing that at no point would Cap just call him up all "hey, you put turbines in these things, right? Well they're going to murder everyone wanna lend a brother a hand?" The Marvel Universe is getting too small to justify one "big leaguer" per movie.

Nah

Cap 2
    Cap was in "trust no-one" mode. Stark is definitely not someone who Cap likes in a general sense, and when asking himself "who can I trust," Tony is nowhere near the top of his list

After reflection, TWS is a movie of many Moments.

Awww Yiss moments.

Oh WOW moments.

Anthony Mackie Is A Supreme Pimp moments.

Just a bunch to choose from.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    A cat named Chewie.

Awesome

Carol is a well documented Star Wars fan.

tumblr_mqs4gs4wKl1s6aduso1_1280.jpg

DVJSYlt.png

This discussion has been closed.