As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of Shield] Thread is under quarantine for potential Captain America 2 spoilers!

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Well, who wouldn't use X-ray goggles to peek at Ward?

People who have a chance to use them on Coulson instead?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'd be fine if the show does an abbreviated Willow/Xander thing with Fitz/Simmons, where they get together, Stuff Happens, and then they go back to being bestest friends. (I mean, if they have to ship Fitz/Simmons at all, which I'd prefer they didn't.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'd be fine if the show does an abbreviated Willow/Xander thing with Fitz/Simmons, where they get together, Stuff Happens, and then they go back to being bestest friends. (I mean, if they have to ship Fitz/Simmons at all, which I'd prefer they didn't.)

Then Simmons turns into a witch Asgardian.

I figure Skye is going to be our Willow.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I figure Skye is going to be our Willow.

She's reminds me of Buffy.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I dislike Skye not because she's a pretty hacker but because how easy she goes from being a person who wants to get to the truth to a yes man so quickly. I wanted Skye to be that person that they trust on at arms length but its like three episodes in and she's family and now an Agent. Plus, what happen to Rising Tide? As soon as she was part of Coulson's team its like S.H.I.E.L.D. just quit caring about them. Was Skye and her ex the only members?

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    After seeing Cap2... I cannot wait for Tuesday.

Also (minor Cap2/AoS spoilers)...
    It was kinda weird not seeing Hand at all in Cap2. She's supposed to be this high up, right? Kinda made it feel like AoS is this ancillary parallel thing to the MCU.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Skye was never truly in it for the hacktivism it seems; she was in in it because
    SHIELD was the big bad agency that was preventing her from finding out about her origins. Rising Tide was just an outlet for that. Finding out that SHIELD was protecting her kind of removed the last vestiges of giving a shit about that for her.

I mean, it was pretty poorly written, but she started out as the abrasive one who questioned everything, then once she got caught helping her ex she was presented with both a possible avenue of discovering her parantage, but also the fact she was on SUPER thin ice. In order to get the answers she wanted, she needed to keep her head down.

It's a shame, because she was a super easy way to point out anything hinky that SHIELD and Coulson's team got up to. Instead she just kinda became another team member with slightly more unorthodox methods.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, but I wanted Skye to be like Jayne Cobb to Captain Mal, we need her but we can't trust her.

edited April 2014
    I dislike Skye not because she's a pretty hacker but because how easy she goes from being a person who wants to get to the truth to a yes man so quickly. I wanted Skye to be that person that they trust on at arms length but its like three episodes in and she's family and now an Agent. Plus, what happen to Rising Tide? As soon as she was part of Coulson's team its like S.H.I.E.L.D. just quit caring about them. Was Skye and her ex the only members?

Well, she still wants to get to the truth. She just determined that Coulson was the best means of getting there, and her trust was validated by Coulson actually going out of his way (and succeeding!) to help her out. Figure in that she largely wants a sense of family, and acquired that via the S.C.O.O.B.I.E.S., and her character arc makes a lot of sense. Also, it's clear she doesn't trust SHIELD, she trusts her teammates.

If you're talking less about her shift in character and more about the loss of a character who was suspicious of SHIELD, I think that shifted over to Coulson pretty effectively.

Also, I just want to reiterate how refreshing it is that this show doesn't dwell on plot points forever.
    We went from "May is sneaking around" to "May got busted, oh shits fallout" in two episodes. Skye's skulking around earlier in the season also was resolved pretty quickly. This show is pretty freaking brisk now that it's laid its foundation.

ElJeffe on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Cap 2 spoilers:
    Where I think that we'll see things go (i.e., wild speculation):
    -Zola will be the Clairvoyant. He's probably not big enough to be the main villain in Cap 3, he has reason to be interested in how Coulson came back, he's an established MCU villain and credible threat, it ties it deep into the movies. Aside from maybe trouble in getting the actor involved - and he's a computer now, they might as well just use the Siri voice for how authentically his it is - I can't see any reason not to take that route, unless they feel they have a stronger story otherwise.

-Victoria Hand will join Hydra, agreeing with their arguments wholeheartedly, and will act as the primary antagonist for a while.

-An unknown party within Hydra will leak mysteriously leak data to the Bus, helping them stay one step ahead of Hydra. Speculation will focus heavily on Sitwell as the leak, but it will eventually be revealed that Hand has been working for Nick Fury all along.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    After seeing Cap2... I cannot wait for Tuesday.

Also (minor Cap2/AoS spoilers)...
    It was kinda weird not seeing Hand at all in Cap2. She's supposed to be this high up, right? Kinda made it feel like AoS is this ancillary parallel thing to the MCU.
    she's over in the Hub

most of the action takes place in Washington D.C., at the Triskelion

no reason for the movie to show her

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Welcome to Shield Skye, hope you survive the experience.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Cap 2 spoilers:
    -Zola will be the Clairvoyant. He's probably not big enough to be the main villain in Cap 3, he has reason to be interested in how Coulson came back, he's an established MCU villain and credible threat, it ties it deep into the movies. Aside from maybe trouble in getting the actor involved - and he's a computer now, they might as well just use the Siri voice for how authentically his it is - I can't see any reason not to take that route, unless they feel they have a stronger story otherwise.

-Victoria Hand will join Hydra, agreeing with their arguments wholeheartedly, and will act as the primary antagonist for a while.

-An unknown party within Hydra will leak mysteriously leak data to the Bus, helping them stay one step ahead of Hydra. Speculation will focus heavily on Sitwell as the leak, but it will eventually be revealed that Hand has been working for Nick Fury all along.
    Cap2/AoS spoilers + comicy stuff + speculation
    I doubt we're going to see Hand as an antagonist, she's an openly gay character in the comics. If they demonize her the outcry will be brutal.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Cap 2 spoilers:

I doubt we're going to see Hand as an antagonist, she's an openly gay character in the comics. If they demonize her the outcry will be brutal.

They won't demonize her based on her orientation, so why would it be an issue?

Not to mention that she played the role of an antagonist for a large part of the comic run also.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Well, she still wants to get to the truth. She just determined that Coulson was the best means of getting there, and her trust was validated by Coulson actually going out of his way (and succeeding!) to help her out. Figure in that she largely wants a sense of family, and acquired that via the S.C.O.O.B.I.E.S., and her character arc makes a lot of sense. Also, it's clear she doesn't trust SHIELD, she trusts her teammates.

If you're talking less about her shift in character and more about the loss of a character who was suspicious of SHIELD, I think that shifted over to Coulson pretty effectively.

Also, I just want to reiterate how refreshing it is that this show doesn't dwell on plot points forever.
    We went from "May is sneaking around" to "May got busted, oh shits fallout" in two episodes. Skye's skulking around earlier in the season also was resolved pretty quickly. This show is pretty freaking brisk now that it's laid its foundation.

I love love love shows which don't drag out plot points. I am definitely enjoying the pace.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Cap 2 spoilers:

Not to mention that she played the role of an antagonist for a large part of the comic run also.
    Hand strikes me as the lethal mentor type.
    The kind who puts their people into deadly situations they shouldn't be able to get out of to see if they can get out of it. And once they do, she does it again.
    She did it once already with Ward and Fitzs' 'extraction', and seemed pretty pleased about it afterwards.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Cap 2 spoilers:

More Cap 2 Spoilers:
    To your second point, Sitwell is dead. He got thrown out of a speeding car into oncoming traffic and got pancaked by a bus/semi (I honestly don't know which it was). He's done.

Mvrck on
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Cap 2 spoilers:

More Cap 2 Spoilers:
    To your second point, Sitwell is dead. He got thrown out of a speeding car into oncoming traffic and got pancaked by a bus/semi (I honestly don't know which it was). He's done.

Oh.
    I somehow noticed him leaving via the window, and missed seeing the pancake. I assumed Hydra got him out alive.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Cap 2 spoilers:

Hand strikes me as the lethal mentor type.
    The kind who puts their people into deadly situations they shouldn't be able to get out of to see if they can get out of it. And once they do, she does it again.
    She did it once already with Ward and Fitzs' 'extraction', and seemed pretty pleased about it afterwards.

Like Maybe God in Futurama? "If I've done my job well enough, they will survive on their own merit and will never know I didn't want them to die?"

Speculation regarding the ending of last episode for which you don't need to have seen Cap2:
    Was Hand the person May was talking to? If so that would explain the turnaround. Your undercover operative was just silenced, while the person they where spying on(Coulson) had given indication that he was thinking of going rogue and start working directly against Shield.

I mean the timing fits: 5 minutes after May gets cut off mid-sentence, Hand orders the Bus hijacked remotely.

You definitely get that May has no idea who the Clairvoyant is, judging from her confused look when Coulson demands to know who the real Clairvoyant is.

Cap2 Adendum for future episodes:
    I don't think May is part of Hydra, mostly because Hydra are the Nazis and she is Asian. Not a lot of love for the Untermensch. Hand is gay and the same goes for her. They may be working for Hydra mistakenly, but knowingly? Apart from Stilwell is there any Hydra agents of color?

Then there is the Cap2 Movie itself. We know Fury needs to be moved from the Morgue to a hospital bed. We know somebody has to acquire the circuit cards for the Helicarriers. Who got Hill onto the prison transport? Somebody needs to make it possible to spread Shield/Hydra secrets around the world. Wikileaks isn't going to cut it on that one. All stuff that the Bus Crew could be busy doing. The Cap2 movie takes place over several days and there is a huge stretch where Fury is presumed dead and setting up the showdown.

Plus the Clairvoyant is Zola. Toby Jones is a big star, but not that big. Having him as a voice over star would be doable. The Bus Crew trying to eliminate Clairvoyant from the Shield computers would a big deal, while keeping them away from the DC climax of Cap2.

Kipling217 wrote: »
    Speculation regarding the ending of last episode for which you don't need to have seen Cap2:
    Was Hand the person May was talking to? If so that would explain the turnaround. Your undercover operative was just silenced, while the person they where spying on(Coulson) had given indication that he was thinking of going rogue and start working directly against Shield.

I mean the timing fits: 5 minutes after May gets cut off mid-sentence, Hand orders the Bus hijacked remotely.

You definitely get that May has no idea who the Clairvoyant is, judging from her confused look when Coulson demands to know who the real Clairvoyant is.

I don't think it was definitive who she was talking to.
    I figure it has to be either Hand or Fury. I think safe money's on Fury, but it could go either way.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't think May is part of Hydra, mostly because Hydra are the Nazis and she is Asian. Not a lot of love for the Untermensch. Hand is gay and the same goes for her. They may be working for Hydra mistakenly, but knowingly? Apart from Stilwell is there any Hydra agents of color?

Still sorta Cap 2:
    Despite the Nazi roots Hydra in the comics doesn't really give a shit about race and such. They care pretty much only about domination of the world. The rest is just tools and methods.

This very much seems to be the case in the MCU as well. I don't think anybodies race really came up at all.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Re: Ward
    The show definitely isn't trying to make his shooting of an unarmed man unambiguously okay. It was supposed to be a sketchy act at best. But it's also not the case that he just committed straight up, unjustifiable murder. In the context of the show, he killed a guy who might very well be able to influence, if not outright control, the people around him. It was possible, given what Ward knew, that Nash could've influenced Ward to shoot everyone else right there given a few more minutes. The Clairvoyant had been trying to establish for many episodes that he could read thoughts and possibly control others, or at the very least communicate with them directly using those eye thingies. The reasons to think his powers were more limited consisted of Nash saying, "I'm totally not going to hurt you" and Skye suggesting that maybe he wasn't actually a psychic mindcontroller after all, which is not exactly definitive proof. He was definitely a potential threat, and so Ward's execution was more "pre-emptively killing a non-neutralized enemy who has a track record for trying to kill you and your friends" and less "murdering an unarmed paraplegic."

Regardless of how Ward's actions might play in the real world, in the context of the show it was supposed to be kind of a gray area.

As to whether there'll be fallout? I'd be shocked if there wasn't. Cap2 events might overshadow stuff, but the show wouldn't have played it like that if there weren't going to be repercussions. There might not be formal action taken against him, but I think that was a defining character moment that'll come back in a major way.

Also, I hope they don't ship Ward and Skye, because that's way obvious and I much prefer them just having a mentor/friend relationship. I don't think they've done anything yet that couldn't be interpreted as something entirely platonic, though maybe I forgot some moony-eyed gaze somewhere. I think a Fitz/Simmons romance is much more likely.

If we're going to have to ship these folks, I'm on Team Skye-Fitz. I also dig May-Ward.

I saw the official twitter say something along the lines of "Skymmons" when talking shipping at one point among the cast's shipping talk :P

waNkm4k.jpg?1

I would proudly set sail aboard the good ship Skymmons.

Still sorta Cap 2:
    Despite the Nazi roots Hydra in the comics doesn't really give a shit about race and such. They care pretty much only about domination of the world. The rest is just tools and methods.

This very much seems to be the case in the MCU as well. I don't think anybodies race really came up at all.

Cap2 Response:
    Its not explicitly said, but apart from Sitwell(who is played by a mostly white Latino), every Hydra agent in the movie is white. Literally every agent in the elevator and every Hydra agent in the group taking over the helicarrier is white.

When was the last time you saw a non-white Hydra agent in the comics?

Still sorta Cap 2:

I'm going to guess

[No actual Cap 2 stuff in there, just stuff from within the Show]
    It's totally Fury she's reporting to. Because, you know, Fury.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    I would proudly set sail aboard the good ship Skymmons.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Still sorta Cap 2:

I'm going to guess

From the SE++ Hero thread:

AOS preview clips!
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone wanna see a couple of preview clips for the next episode of AoS?

newSig.jpg

Still sorta Cap 2:

Cap2 Response:
    Its not explicitly said, but apart from Sitwell(who is played by a mostly white Latino), every Hydra agent in the movie is white. Literally every agent in the elevator and every Hydra agent in the group taking over the helicarrier is white.

When was the last time you saw a non-white Hydra agent in the comics?

Cap 2 spoiler
    There's at least one black agent in the elevator with Cap.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Cap 2 spoiler:
    Garry Shandling is Jewish.

As for AoS, it wouldn't make much sense for the Clairvoyant or Centipede to be part of Hydra. Hydra had no problem operating within SHIELD and having SHIELD do its dirty work for decades, so why would it suddenly need to start an organization that works against SHIELD? If anything, the Clairvoyant and Centipede should be working against Hydra.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Still sorta Cap 2:

I'm going to guess

AOS preview clips!

Oh shit those clips. Goddamnit I can't wait for Tuesday.

SPOILERS REGARDING THOSE CLIPS AND CAPTAIN AMERICA 2:
    I guess that guy's not Hydra, but Hydra certainly seems to want to kill him! And if May is telling the truth, Hand is almost certainly working for Hydra. I wonder where Cap 2 and the next episode fall on the timeline. Happening at the same time? Are those helicarriers crashing while May and Coulson are shouting, or are they going to show up in the middle of it?

@SniperGuy‌

Cap 2 / AoS (End of the Beginning) Spoilers
    Agent Sitwell is dispatched to Lemurian Star near the beginning of the episode. I assume the Bus reroute happens at almost the exact same time the Winter Soldier is attempting to assassinate Fury.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

Still sorta Cap 2:

I'm going to guess

AOS preview clips!

Oh shit those clips. Goddamnit I can't wait for Tuesday.

SPOILERS REGARDING THOSE CLIPS AND CAPTAIN AMERICA 2:
    I guess that guy's not Hydra, but Hydra certainly seems to want to kill him! And if May is telling the truth, Hand is almost certainly working for Hydra. I wonder where Cap 2 and the next episode fall on the timeline. Happening at the same time? Are those helicarriers crashing while May and Coulson are shouting, or are they going to show up in the middle of it?

Cap2 spoiler:
    I'm hoping that during one of that last episodes you here Steve's message being broadcast over the radio. And I'm hoping that Hand isn't Hydra, just that she doesn't question the orders from her superiors.

newSig.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cap 2 spoiler:
    I can't believe it about Sitwell. I was looking forward to more guest appearances from him. :(

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Cap 2 spoiler:
    I can't believe it about Sitwell. I was looking forward to more guest appearances from him. :(

It's a comic book.
    Being thrown from a moving car? Never seen again in the movie? Almost certainly still alive.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Cap 2 spoiler:

It's a comic book.
    Being thrown from a moving car? Never seen again in the movie? Almost certainly still alive.
    He was clearly thrown directly in front of an oncoming semi. It a comic book so we might see DethSitwell or something but just "What? I rolled when i hit the ground, I'm a secret agent after all" is fairly unlikely.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited April 2014
    Cap 2 spoiler:

It's a comic book.
    He was clearly thrown directly in front of an oncoming semi. It a comic book so we might see DethSitwell or something but just "What? I rolled when i hit the ground, I'm a secret agent after all" is fairly unlikely.
    Kinda my point. We have Fury dying on the operating table. We saw his corpse. Then he was well enough to go around shooting Robert Redford. The Winter Soldier himself had a bit of a fatal episode in a previous movie. Zola died of cancer, physically, but he still had plenty of exposition left in him. Don't even get me started on the resurrections in Agents of SHIELD. Deth-Sitwell (Dethwell?) is only one of many, many possibilities for his return.

Or he may stay dead. Just saying, this kind of show, you can NEVER assume that someone is dead and gone for good.

Dracomicron on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Just got back from Cap2.

So... that all happened. My brother who doesn't care for Agents of SHIELD is going to tune in Tuesday becasue he can't believe that the show could possibly continue to exist after the world-shattering events of Winter Soldier.

What I kinda hope happens: (Cap2/AoS stuff)
    They throw down with the Hydra folks, and when the dust settles, they're all like, "Uh, what now?" Then Fury shows up (or just makes a call to Coulson) and says, "Yeah, all that about SHIELD no longer existing? Lies. Had to be convincing or Steve was getting off the Avengers boat. You're all still on the payroll, you just officially work for FEMA as disaster managers. Now go get me some 084s."

This discussion has been closed.