As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Will Call = registration desks, which should be open some time Thursday (Official_PAX should tweet out the details fairly soon).

And AFAIK there's no phone number.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I emailed them yesterday, and my tickets showed up today... go figure, right?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I hope to god they really have everything together for the bag checks. It was pretty awful at anime boston and that had only about a 4th of the number of people who attend Pax. Also kinda makes it so you can't leave the BCEB during daytime con hours. My advice would to be at pax a good hour before the doors open.

koolaroo on
  • JoveJove Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I emailed them yesterday, and my tickets showed up today... go figure, right?

I wish I had that kind of luck. :(

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jove wrote: »
    Well this sucks. Still haven't received my badges currently. I have been to Pax East for the last three years and this has never happened to me before, why now? -_-

I sent out the email to the provided email address as posted here and i was given a reply to show the email and what not at the help desk when Pax opens.

Is there a phone number I could contact about this? And what is this Will Call I saw in this thread earlier? Is there a way I can get my badges a little earlier then the 11th so I don't have to be worried while being in line in the morning with a huge pack of people? :(
    Will call usually has hours on the thursday before pax. Will call is synonymous with the registration help desk. As an additional sidenote, since you seem to be unfamiliar with the term in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_call

• DaleifurDaleifur Registered User new member
    Does anybody have any info on this? I can't seem to find any. If I'm blind or being dumb feel free to let me know. Any info however would be appreciated. Is it Hunger Games or something along those lines? Thanks!

- Dale

• ZoraZora CTRegistered User regular
    Any ideas about when the Westin skybridge entrance opens? I know it's accessible most of the day but last year (first time at the Westin) we weren't allowed to use it around when the BCEC opened and had to rush outside to the big line. Be nice if they at least had a sign up that said as much.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    koolaroo wrote: »
    I hope to god they really have everything together for the bag checks. It was pretty awful at anime boston and that had only about a 4th of the number of people who attend Pax. Also kinda makes it so you can't leave the BCEB during daytime con hours. My advice would to be at pax a good hour before the doors open.

Disney does this flawlessly ... help them out by having bags all open and ready for inspection (so they can poke to their hearts delight) ... as the Enforcers noted advise them in advance of the presence of any realistic prop weapons inside the bag (so there are no surprises) ... and simply smile and go with the flow. One suggestion for them though ... anyone not having a bag to check should have a separate line so they can simply go on through (again this is something Disney does and it helps the flow). My two cents anyway.

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

AB didn't have a 4th of the people. They had over 70k+ for a turnstile count, which is what PAX uses for their attendance figures as well. Don't remember PAX's attendance last year, but it was in the ballpark of that.

stardust462 on
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    schimmdog wrote: »
    I'm afraid of what the bag-checks will do to the lines at opening, but in the end it makes us safer.

No, security theater just makes you *feel* safer.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • skytbestskytbest Registered User regular
    I've seen the expo hall map on the Guidebook app, but I was wondering if it were anywhere online. It would be awesome if I could get it in a bigger format. It doesn't seem to be up on east.paxsite.com, unless I'm missing something...

Nvidia pin 9803
    Zora wrote: »
    Any ideas about when the Westin skybridge entrance opens? I know it's accessible most of the day but last year (first time at the Westin) we weren't allowed to use it around when the BCEC opened and had to rush outside to the big line. Be nice if they at least had a sign up that said as much.
    It won't be open for the initial rush. You'll have to go outside.
    Rhiley wrote: »
    schimmdog wrote: »
    I'm afraid of what the bag-checks will do to the lines at opening, but in the end it makes us safer.
    No, security theater just makes you *feel* safer.
    This is an inappropriate place for this conversation.

skytbest wrote: »
    I've seen the expo hall map on the Guidebook app, but I was wondering if it were anywhere online. It would be awesome if I could get it in a bigger format. It doesn't seem to be up on east.paxsite.com, unless I'm missing something...
    http://m.guidebook.com/guide/17939/map/22922/

Daleifur wrote: »
    Does anybody have any info on this? I can't seem to find any. If I'm blind or being dumb feel free to let me know. Any info however would be appreciated. Is it Hunger Games or something along those lines? Thanks!

- Dale
    I haven't seen any info on PC tournaments outside of what's posted on the schedule.

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular

AB didn't have a 4th of the people. They had over 70k+ for a turnstile count, which is what PAX uses for their attendance figures as well. Don't remember PAX's attendance last year, but it was in the ballpark of that.

And they squeezed the 70k into a hall 1/4 the size with less entrances, less space to do the check, and took a hour at absolute peak times. Not to mention they had major programming in a different building that required constant exit and entrance.

PAX has none of these problems.

PW0oFIs.png
  • shepdshepd Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    anyone not having a bag to check should have a separate line so they can simply go on through (again this is something Disney does and it helps the flow).

I can't figure out what the point is to not check pockets. I can fit my playbook in my pocket. If it's to check for weapons, the vast majority of them will fit in the same pocket. If you're trying to smuggle one in, it isn't hard to add some padding to take away the outline. And if you're not, then you don't have any negative plans for it anyways.

That 70k turnstile count is nowhere near accurate anymore for pax imo, they just no longer report new numbers.

I am currently in a state of "I'll believe it when I see it" for anything going smoothly time-wise.

Is the expo hall map posted anywhere online? Can only seem to find it in the Guidebook app and I want to see it bigger!

Nvidia pin 9803
    edited April 2014
    Is the expo hall map posted anywhere online? Can only seem to find it in the Guidebook app and I want to see it bigger!
    I literally just answered your question a few minutes ago when I merged your thread. It's like 6 posts up...

zerzhul on
  • Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    I think the gist was in general yes they do but due to spotty reception some chip readers/card swipes may not work. Cash on hand was indicated as a contingency in the event one encounters problems.

That was my worry.
    With all of us having wifi devices that the card swipes might not work...

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I will be mostly using cash, even outside of conventions those card readers can be spotty (once had a pizza guy have to reboot his 2 times to get it to connect).

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    That was my worry.
    With all of us having wifi devices that the card swipes might not work...
    Always good to have a bit of cash due to this reason. Cards swipes usually work well in the Expo Hall/Merch Booth and etc. but their may be unforeseen "hiccups" in service from time-to-time.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I literally just answered your question a few minutes ago when I merged your thread. It's like 6 posts up...

Shit, sorry. I noticed the merge in my original thread but something weird was going on when I came to this thread and I didn't see it.

Thank you!

Nvidia pin 9803
    If I'm not staying at the hotel can I still use the hotel entrance?

• revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    @koolaroo - Assuming you mean the skybridge thing, yeah definitely. I've gone in that way before and have never stayed at the Westin. Given that they're doing bag checks this year, that entrance might not be open right at 10 this year, though.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    @koolaroo - Assuming you mean the skybridge thing, yeah definitely. I've gone in that way before and have never stayed at the Westin. Given that they're doing bag checks this year, that entrance might not be open right at 10 this year, though.

It has been confirmed it will NOT be open in the morning.

• MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    GhostDan wrote: »
    It has been confirmed it will NOT be open in the morning.

Wonder how this will effect foot-traffic early entrance for BYOC members. I'm guessing negatively.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
    Well this sucks. Still haven't received my badges currently. I have been to Pax East for the last three years and this has never happened to me before, why now? -_-

I sent out the email to the provided email address as posted here and i was given a reply to show the email and what not at the help desk when Pax opens.

Is there a phone number I could contact about this? And what is this Will Call I saw in this thread earlier? Is there a way I can get my badges a little earlier then the 11th so I don't have to be worried while being in line in the morning with a huge pack of people? :(
    Will call usually has hours on the thursday before pax. Will call is synonymous with the registration help desk. As an additional sidenote, since you seem to be unfamiliar with the term in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_call

So if I were just to show my receipts and stuff at the help desk at Pax first thing in the morning, would I get my badges there?

So how many places can you enter the BCEB by in the morning? Just the main entrance? I'm just trying to find the least prominent entrance to maybe get a shorter line. Anime boston had like three entrances or more and the hotel entrance never had a line.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    There are something like 12 entrances to the building, but one inside, only 2 entrances to main floor. The front entrance has always been closed off until the queue line is let in and 10-15 minutes have past, so there is no sneaky way to get past the 64,999 other people trying to get on the floor first. The building traditionally opens at 8am, and your best bet to get to the queue line quickly is be by the shuttle bus stops closest to the Hyatt, but you and 20000 other people will have that idea, so generally the best bet is get in the neighborhood not later then 7:30, get some breakfast to go. Follow the cattle to the queue area, drop a blanket on the floor and play a game of Card Against Humanity with your neighbor. Nothing will open early, so don't think in those terms or you will drive yourself crazy. If your not in line by 8:30, hang out on the outskirts, and wait until 10:30ish to go in the main entrance, since it wont really matter if your one of the 40000 in the queue area or the thousands who arrives late to avoid the sea of humans in the queue are. But honestly, its fun to be in the queue area, especially on Sunday because the Enforcers so an excellent job of playing games which have prizes and try to distract you with comical activities. If that does not sound like fun, I recommend sleeping in at your hotel, or planning on a panel.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey ladies, germs, and all others.

I am looking for some portable power for my iPhone 5. I also got an 3rd Gen iPad and a 3DS but being able to charge those up is purely gravy as the phone is what normally goes dry at PAX, and it'd be nice to not have to fight for an outlet at the convention center. I've done a bit of searching but figured it'd be best to get feedback from people who have similar needs as to mind. I don't need anything fancy really, as this is almost exclusively for PAX, so I'd prefer something on the affordable side.

Thanks!

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I am looking for some portable power for my iPhone 5. I also got an 3rd Gen iPad and a 3DS but being able to charge those up is purely gravy as the phone is what normally goes dry at PAX, and it'd be nice to not have to fight for an outlet at the convention center. I've done a bit of searching but figured it'd be best to get feedback from people who have similar needs as to mind. I don't need anything fancy really, as this is almost exclusively for PAX, so I'd prefer something on the affordable side.

Thanks!
    some variation of this: http://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Pack-L180X-Thunderbolt/dp/B00C78YJQY

full stop.

So if I were just to show my receipts and stuff at the help desk at Pax first thing in the morning, would I get my badges there?
    Not the help desk, the registration desk. The help desk folks will direct you to the registration/will call desk.

Not the help desk, the registration desk. The help desk folks will direct you to the registration/will call desk.

Right, forgot the name.

The registration desk is close to the front entrance right? Will it open the same time as the doors open? (8 AM East)

Right, forgot the name.

The registration desk is close to the front entrance right? Will it open the same time as the doors open? (8 AM East)
    "Yes" and "Yes, as far as I know".

• KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular

Thanks!

I have a BOLT from Fluxmob. It doubles as an external battery pack and a wall charger. I believe they're sixty bucks. The battery capacity of the BOLT is 3000mAh which is about two iPhone 5 batteries. Works great with my iPhone 5S

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • VmKidVmKid Gone Bananas Shuggazoom CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Believe it or not, outlets aren't all that uncommon, so I doubt that you'll have too much trouble finding one, especially in the hallways where the crowds are often surprisingly sparse.

If you must go the external battery route, the best method is to get a cheap external battery pack with USB or Thunderbolt. Don't bother with the ones specifically "designed for iPhone" since that's usually an excuse to mark up the price. The one that Zerzhul posted is a good start, but it's rather expensive. Here's something a bit cheaper. Do be warned, however, that this one has no reviews and might be made cheaply, so it's possible you're either getting something decent for the money or something that's kinda crap.

VmKid on
    KvTUvIQ.png
  • upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular

Thanks!

I have a 12,000 or 14,000 mah battery made by newtrent. They sell up on amazon. They have various sizes but since I have a Note II I needed a massive pack with 2A charging. The one I got is shock/waterproof and works great.

• RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    I carry one of these with me. dont know if it meets the requirements for the i devices but it is plenty for a 3DS. I suggest looking for something along the same lines purely because instead of it being a rechargeable pack, it takes AA batteries. When it runs dead I just pop in a fresh set and don't have to worry about having yet another device that needs to be charge when I get back to the hotel.

• RenneesmeRenneesme Registered User regular

Thanks!

This is what I bought from Amazon and honestly, it's been doing wonderfully for me! I got it for $30 and I'm bringing it to PAX for my boyfriend and I:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9BECAC/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3DS FC: 4382-3356-7103