As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hawken] Open Beta is now live

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    edit: I forgot, if you want to crunch some numbers, take a look at the spreadsheets for mechs and weapons.

What does Prestige Combined DPS mean there, exactly. I find it interesting that it's so much higher on the C-RT than the Assault. Given that the recruit mech is good, but is just a slightly different version of the Assault, from what I can tell.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »
    The D Vulc and TOW is better burst DPS on paper, with twin Vulc XT lower, but it can do sustained damage better, and range makes a big difference there too.

DPS on TOW is not as reliably sustainable as the twin Vulcans due to dodges, terrain etc.

I dunno, the airburst makes terrain and dodges less of an issue, and even that veteran's write-up sounds pretty skeptical about it. 'Course it's hard to tell anything on paper.
    Darmak wrote: »
    So I finally bought the technician last night before I logged off and played a quick round of tdm with bots and holy shit is it different from the starter. It's going to be very different not being able to just start a slugfest with dudes and come out on top, I'm really going to have to get better at dodging and shit. Anyone have any tips they can give me for it? Or perhaps some suggestions for internals and items?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/29355621/#Comment_29355621

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So I finally bought the technician last night before I logged off and played a quick round of tdm with bots and holy shit is it different from the starter. It's going to be very different not being able to just start a slugfest with dudes and come out on top, I'm really going to have to get better at dodging and shit. Anyone have any tips they can give me for it? Or perhaps some suggestions for internals and items?

With the redox you'll never survive a slugfest unless the enemy is super low on armor before you engage. With the alternate weapon you can maybe take out some undamaged light mechs depending on pilot skill and whether you get the drop on them, but you'll be a hair away from death yourself at the end.

Either way, if you're forced into a confrontation and absolutely cannot escape, constantly hit them with the alt fire from your torch and if you have your special ready, use it. If you somehow survive, awesome, but if you do end up dying you'll have done as much damage possible to the enemy mech, which will mean they'll either have to stop and repair (which will make them vulnerable to your teammates) or they'll be low on armor (which will make it easier for one of your teammates to destroy them).

It's definitely a completely different playstyle from the other mechs. You have to retrain yourself. In an assault, if an injured enemy runs off, you'll want to follow them to finish them off, but in a tech that is a death trap. You'll always want to be mindful of cover. Keep an eye out for areas on the maps where you can heal someone while still being behind cover yourself - let your teammate take the hits, because they have way more armor than you do, and you're there to repair them, not blow up. If a friendly mech that you are healing charges off into a fracas on his/her own though (and this will happen all the time), don't blindly follow them into the fray, check out the situation first. A lot of players don't know how to play with a technician and will take off to places and situations where it's not safe for you to follow.

If the team isn't sticking together or has gotten separated I'll usually hook up with a player and follow them around until we figure out what is going on. Healing teammates in a big firefight is obviously based on who is lowest on armor, but if they're all doing something like fighting over a chokepoint than prioritize the mech/mechs that are in direct combat over the long rage mech who isn't in the middle of things.

Lastly, always use your mic. If you're hooked up with another mech, let them know. A good player will adapt their playstyle slightly if they are being followed by a tech (or at the very least won't boost away from you after a firefight when you're using your torch on them to heal yourself).

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    So I bought some MC and the Prosk pack because those mechs looked the most interesting to me.

So far I am still playing a lot of assault, but on certain maps the Sharpshooter is a goddamn blast. (Last Eco siege mode, particularly)

Although I just realized that buying an internal component for one mech doesn't unclock it for other mechs, which is just... mean.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, I'm topping the leaderboards with the technician. I'm built out of paper but I'm still getting kills and I've even dominated a couple of people. Besides the mostly still positive k/d ratio, I'm getting a shitton of points from healing and assists. Wait, do assists give you points? I've been getting like 15-30 assists a round since I got this thing. I like it so much I purchased some MC and I pimped that ride hard. I'll post a pic when I get home from work later.

All that customization has a downside though, and it's that now I stick out a lot and it seems like sometimes (especially from the good players) I get targeted and killed a lot. I try and avoid those guys when I find them so they don't completely shut me down. I still haven't remembered to buy items or internals for this thing yet though, anyone got any suggestions for those?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    All that customization has a downside though, and it's that now I stick out a lot and it seems like sometimes (especially from the good players) I get targeted and killed a lot. I try and avoid those guys when I find them so they don't completely shut me down. I still haven't remembered to buy items or internals for this thing yet though, anyone got any suggestions for those?

Assists get you half the points of a kill if I remember right.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to sticking out. I was rolling in the full elite setup because I thought it looked cool, but then I realized it made me a giant rust-red target, so I went back to the standard gray.

I'm thinking of buying the raider or even scout upper and using that just so it won't be as obvious that I'm a technician.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Assists get you half the points of a kill if I remember right.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to sticking out. I was rolling in the full elite setup because I thought it looked cool, but then I realized it made me a giant rust-red target, so I went back to the standard gray.

I'm thinking of buying the raider or even scout upper and using that just so it won't be as obvious that I'm a technician.

I bought the boot elephant because it has that rad artwork on it, and a blue paintjob to try and match it. I guess that makes me look kind of like a blue infiltrator. Oh well, I've been dealing with the increased attention pretty well so far so it's not too big of an issue.

edit: Here's a few screenshots of my mech:

685F20A9AA11640EF29E1CA04108D06FC6577219
    8E6800622E06E4AE0DE612C8A06D43803A54408D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So I fired this up for the first time since Alpha after getting too angry at Mechwarrior, and was completely blown away at how snazzy everything looks. I also appreciate that the ridiculous TV-looking starter mech seems to be quite competent right out of the box. It feels good to stretch out these dormant UT2k4 muscles after so long.

So where do all the Hawken people hang out? I remember there was a room in Vent for it but it's no longer there.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I am Kaboodles.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I paid cash money solely so my Assault can do the Running Man.

What is wrong with me

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Funny, I just dropped some MC or whatever on the chicken dance for my Assault.

My recently re-watching a bunch of Arrested Development may or may not have had everything to do with that decision.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I guess I should get a proper thread for this going! I only got one more day left in town so it'll have to wait until after I get back.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    This isn't a proper thread? Or do you just mean start a new one with an updated OP and stuff?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I want to play more games with PA people, but it's hard to know when people are online and which posters from this thread are still playing (since it's so old), so I made a steam group under the name PA HAWKEN that we can use to get games going until the clan stuff gets figured out or we get a playerlist.

It's public so you can join without an invite.

• Options
    This isn't a proper thread? Or do you just mean start a new one with an updated OP and stuff?

Yeah, that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    They really need to implement a filter for people that have never played Siege Mode before, so that they can't join mid-game.

It's, I just can't count how many times I have tried to explain it to people.

Or at least that tutorial popup needs to appear whenever you join the mode.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I was definitely confused the first time I joined a Siege server mid-game. The gametype description they show between maps definitely fixed that up the following round though. They should at least have the tutorial pop up for people who haven't finished a full Siege round before.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    They make you do a tutorial for moving around in a mech and standard combat stuff, it wouldn't be the end of the world if you had to do a quick one to demonstrate how siege works before you can play it. I understand that they don't want to put too many barriers into a F2P game, but if they locked it for new players and a person was too impatient to take two minutes to run through a siege tutorial than I wouldn't want them on my team anyway.

I just read up on it before I played my first game, and did ok.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    My first 5 matches were all either at the very start of the match or part way in. Never at the point where I could read what the actual objectives were. Took me those 5 matches to figure stuff out.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Siege was my bane for like 3 or four matches, I absolutely hated it. Then I figured it out, and now it's one of my favorite game modes (team composition gods willing).

It really really needs to be explained better though. I was the nice guy last night explaining to the enemy team how to play so we'd stop rolling them so bad. They came back and almost won! Wouldn't I have felt silly!

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Heh, just started playing this weekend, and definitely noticed a propensity for newer Siege players, including myself, to bunch up on AA defense and let ordinance rain down on us from protected positions. I finally got the idea to flank and clear the heavies out, but most guys would just sit in the square of doom over and over. Eventually people would sod off to shoot at the battleship and accomplish nothing.

Pretty sweet game though.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Played some games with a friend tonight and we did pretty good together. He was alternating between one of the sniper mechs and the bruiser and the crt, while I stayed in my tech and provided lots of healing. I also started lending some assistance with my weapon more, when I wasn't struggling to keep everyone alive, and I ended up "accidentally" stealing quite a few kills. We also got an opportunity to work with an incinerator and holy fuck it seemed like we were invincible. I never had to stop healing, our team never had to stop shooting, it was glorious.

Eventually we stopped doing MA and switched over to TDM to play a few good rounds there and then it emptied out so it was just my friend and I on one team, and two other people on the other. Our good fortune ran out as we proceeded to get the shit stomped out of us, but at least the guys doing it were cool and it really wasn't a bad way to end the night.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Goddamn do I love the CR-T. I'm regularly getting MVP and I haven't even unlocked the level 3 internals and items yet.

I still haven't gotten used to the TOW airburst yet. I keep doing the UT thing and jumping to shoot rockets at the other guy's feet, when I could easily do just that from the ground using airburst, without leaving myself vulnerable in the air or burning fuel.

I got the Prosk bundle after it went on sale, but haven't tried much of the other mechs yet. I played a little bit of Sharpshooter, but I hate that you can't just no-scope with the Sabot rifle. I suppose it's a balance thing, but sniping seems so dull when the TOW is just so awesome.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've had about the same experience with the CRT. I moved into a Reaper for a more long range option, but in a lot of games with it I just get gap closed on by assaults and feed deaths. So I hop back into the CRT and clean house. Hawken really did things right with that mech, too bad it's so god damn ugly.

I'm very happy to see the next patch will start using credit bonuses to keep people in games, though I'd really like to see some sort of bonus for staying on a server for more than one round. Often I get into a really good round and then suddenly everyone leaves and next round it's 2 guys wandering around the map just trying to find each other.

• Options
    Just got an email about the March patch. Basically all mechs are now around 10% faster, there are modifiers you can add to co-op botmatches to increase difficulty and rewards, and they added some cockpit customization.

Got some errands to run, but I'm probably going to be stomping around for a while tonight if anyone wants to join me.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Goddamn do I love the CR-T. I'm regularly getting MVP and I haven't even unlocked the level 3 internals and items yet.

I still haven't gotten used to the TOW airburst yet. I keep doing the UT thing and jumping to shoot rockets at the other guy's feet, when I could easily do just that from the ground using airburst, without leaving myself vulnerable in the air or burning fuel.

I got the Prosk bundle after it went on sale, but haven't tried much of the other mechs yet. I played a little bit of Sharpshooter, but I hate that you can't just no-scope with the Sabot rifle. I suppose it's a balance thing, but sniping seems so dull when the TOW is just so awesome.

Close to medium range no-scoping is what the Reaper's lighter Sabot rifle is all about on the other hand... Especially once you kick on the Precision Overdrive.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Ah ok, so the Sharpshooter's rifle doesn't do much damage if you aren't zoomed in? I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. I've gone on some pretty brutal streaks with the Sharpshooter, but I still have the most fun in the CRT. The CRT just does everything so right.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Yeah the Sabot rifles loose accuracy and damage when they aren't scoped in. The effect on the Reaper's Sabot Rifle isn't as pronounced and can be completely offset by Precision Overdrive, making it an effective fighter unscoped and on the move.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Bought a technician, but every time I use it, we lose. When I use the CR-T, well, I won't says we win all the time, but we do much better. I'm starting to think the Tech just isn't for me.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, bad is the free to play mechanic in this? Am I going to be stuck in one mech forever without real money?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    So, bad is the free to play mechanic in this? Am I going to be stuck in one mech forever without real money?

Sorta, but not really. It just depends on how often you play. You can purchase all of the mechs in the game with Hawken Credits (the in-game currency earned by playing matches) without spending a dime of actual money. You'll need to grind a little to get new mechs, but the good news is that the starter mech is extremely capable.

Different mechs aren't "better", they're just "different", tailored to different playstyles (long range damage, scouting, mid/close range confusion/aggravation, healing/support, close range tank, all around damage, etc). There is a lot of balance, but you have to be careful - since each mech has a pricetag that is either actual money or actual time spent, you have to make sure that the mech you are buying is the one you want. Luckily, there are mech test drives, where you can test specific mechs (the lineup changes from time to time) to see how well they suit you.

The starter mech is an excellent all-around choice for combat, and regularly dominates the top spots in the end-game leaderboards.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Saving for a mech isn't too bad, but saving for a mech and then also kitting it out can be really expensive.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    It's worth noting that the "Scout" in this game isn't really a Scout. It's a fast moving shotgun with legs that gives other people god damn hissy fits when they get blown in half.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    It's worth noting that the "Scout" in this game isn't really a Scout. It's a fast moving shotgun with legs that gives other people god damn hissy fits when they get blown in half.

It's true, there's no better feeling than murdering scouts over and over and over because they completely deserve it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Scouts and Berserkers with air dodge are terrifying.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

It's true, there's no better feeling than murdering scouts over and over and over because they completely deserve it.

My Scout's fuel tank is actually filled with the salty tears of my fallen opponents.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Oh man, when I get a nice open, long, lane of fire on a Scout when I'm in my Reaper.

Yeah, that's a happy feeling.

• Options
    I love killing scouts in my tech. Well, I like killing anything in the tech, really, but scouts especially. It really seems to piss them off, like they can't believe they were just killed by a paltry technician of all things.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Just played my best MA matches ever, 3 wins in a row, MVP on 2, even when switching to the losers.

One match had the best, most harassing unkillable Predator I have ever seen. When played right that mech is a real pain to be against!

@Brody If you play the game for a day or two and really enjoy it, some of the bundles are worth it to open more mech options for different playstyles. Like others said, the CR-T is a great all-rounder.

Learn to dodge, and detonate your TOW rockets mid flight when you miss and you will be set.

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't spend money on F2P games as a general rule, but I had some extra steam fundage from a trade and decided to pimp out my technician a bit:

Zx57vIN.jpg

I couldn't afford solid black with white trim, so I sorta went in the opposite direction.

Initially I wanted to changeup my parts (mainly the upper, but I got carried away) so that it wasn't as obvious that I was a tech in order to draw less attention to myself, but I'm pretty sure that my color choice has backfired.

• Options
    Man fuuuuck scouts and their infiltrator cousins. I just can't deal with their corner game. It's so frustrating fighting (losing) against someone who can really use one of those things.

Pro Tip: If you add ScrimBot as a friend, you can send it !mmr as a message and it will tell you your matchmaker rating. Learn the true level of your mediocrity!

sXXjb1B.png