As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370]

191011121315»

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that most satellites are geosynchronous and concentrated in population centers. So there would not be many flying over random parts of the ocean. Meaning most standard GPS beacons would not work right? Plus even if they did what if they sank with the plane and are hundreds of feet underwater. I think it will be found but the public seems to be underestimating the difficulty of doing so and the technical limitations on modern aircraft.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I was under the impression that most satellites are geosynchronous...
    Nope. The stuff that sits in geo are entertainment satellites, TV and radio broadcasting stuff.
    Plus even if they did what if they sank with the plane and are hundreds of feet underwater.
    From my (limited) understanding, that's the much bigger issue.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Huh, imagine my surprise when I went to CNN's page this morning and there was a big headline that read "PING DETECTED" with China reporting it. I guess we'll see if it's a real thing or a bunch of crap soon enough.

the 'ping' just happens to be at the exact frequency that the black box transmits at. the reason that the Chinese aren't saying that they've found the black box is because it will take some time to triangulate where the ping is coming from and they don't want to be wrong like most of the Malaysian investigation has been so far. I wouldn't expect them to declare it found until they have sonar data of a plane shaped object where the ping is coming from or find debris on the surface.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Water is awful for transmitting things like radio and sound. These problems are not anything new with lost planes or boats. I can't find the exact stat now, but it's something like after 300 or so feet the signal is all but gone, except for really expensive equipment. Now consider it's probably a couple thousand feet under the water, and it's all but lost.
    And I think by now we're well past the duration of the batteries for signal transmission. So it's all but lost at this point probably.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Water is awful for transmitting things like radio and sound. These problems are not anything new with lost planes or boats. I can't find the exact stat now, but it's something like after 300 or so feet the signal is all but gone, except for really expensive equipment. Now consider it's probably a couple thousand feet under the water, and it's all but lost.
    And I think by now we're well past the duration of the batteries for signal transmission. So it's all but lost at this point probably.

they found the air france black box under 10000 feet of water.

• khainkhain Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

they found the air france black box under 10000 feet of water.

Are you talking about Air France 447? Black boxes do emit an ultrasonic signal that can be heard underwater, but the boxes from flight 447 weren't found because of it and it took nearly 2 years for them to find the wreckage of the plane.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Water is actually fantastic at transmitting sound, but yeah, not so much electromagnetic radiation.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I was under the impression that most satellites are geosynchronous...
    Nope. The stuff that sits in geo are entertainment satellites, TV and radio broadcasting stuff.
    Plus even if they did what if they sank with the plane and are hundreds of feet underwater.
    From my (limited) understanding, that's the much bigger issue.

Though depending on the rate at which it reports it's position you can at least have a much smaller search area for where it was before it went underwater.

steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Water is awful for transmitting things like radio and sound.

Water is super great at transmitting sound.

Now, it is not that great at transmitting radio.

But it is, like, super great at sound. Something like 5 times better than air?

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    this is why you don't bang on the pipes in a submarine battle
    sean connery taught me this

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

There was a pretty good segment in Carl Sagan's original Cosmos that illustrated that using whale communication.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I was about to say someone should tell whales and dolphins.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    I was not awake when I typed sound. Don't know how that got in there.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Whales did it.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Khavall wrote: »

Well, the speed is about seven times faster (340 m/s compared toooo like 1500 for freshwater and 1560 in saltwater). No idea about how far it'll go though. Kind of a big deal because, in addition to the whole "whales communicating from forever away" thing, sonar can really fuck up some animals. Also, there are echolocating fish which I can only assume are awesome at what they do given how sound travels.

There's also the Bloop...

Anccar wrote: »
    The plane went completely off its path. The

I'm waiting anxiously for the rest of this post. Don't leave me in suspense here.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Anccar wrote: »
    The plane went completely off its path. The

I'm waiting anxiously for the rest of this post. Don't leave me in suspense here.

We're looking for the ping signal from the rest of the post. Last week someone reported seeing words floating in another thread, but that turned out to be a false lead.

CNN suspects the post ended safely in Iran.

sig.gif
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Are terrorists hijacking public and commercial posts with the intentions of infiltrating and or/ detonating them in westernized society? CNN is on the case!

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I think all of you guys are giving wild unsupported theories on the nature of the missing post.

I suspect we'll find out this is all some tragic malfunction with the Draft systems.

steam_sig.png
    I think all of you guys are giving wild unsupported theories on the nature of the missing post.

I suspect we'll find out this is all some tragic malfunction with the Draft systems.

It's a first time poster whose only other post is a thread with a link.

We may never know what happened to the rest of his post.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

It's a first time poster whose only other post is a thread with a link.

We may never know what happened to the rest of his post.

I'm confident we'll find the rest of this post someday; it'll just take a while. We lost part of a French guy's post once, and it took us three years to find the rest of it.

sig.gif
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This just became the best thread.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    CNN is going to start reporting about this post in an effort to keep those ratings it got from this whole story.

Prepare for the Blitzer.

In real news though evidence these pulses or whatever are from the plane are becoming more substantive.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-search-to-soon-become-even-more-difficult/

Maybe they'll actually find this plane:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/8/new-pings-heard-mh370.html
    "I'm now optimistic that we will find the aircraft, or what is left of the aircraft, in the not too distant future — but we haven't found it yet, because this is a very challenging business," he said.

"And I would just like to have that hard evidence ... photograph evidence (before saying) that this is the final resting place of MH370," Houston said.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Houston, we have a problem.

Sorry, I couldn't refrain.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    While there are no new leads on the missing post, it looks like part of MH370 has been found.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/world/mh370-debris-investigation/

A flap of a Boeing 777 washed-up on an island off of the eastern coast of Madagascar. Since no other 777s have disappeared in recent memory, this probably belongs to that plane.

This may mean that investigators were combing the wrong quadrant of the magic circle where the plane could've gone down. Of course, it's also possible that the flap just floated to the island some distance away from the main body of the wreck.

If everyone crosses their toes and fingers, maybe investigators can trace the route that the flap floating-in from due to things it trailed behind itself as it drifted.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    With regards to floating debris, the BBC had this pretty interesting graphic
    _84574651_mh370_debris_simulation_624map.png
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33739851

I suppose it's not unexpected that parts of the plane would wash up eventually. I doubt this piece will be the last.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Finding a piece of the wreckage at least dispels some of the theories that have been floating around, ranging from insane (aliens/black holes) to possible but improbable (plane was stolen, landed, and re-purposed for terrorism).

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Finding a piece of the wreckage at least dispels some of the theories that have been floating around, ranging from insane (aliens/black holes) to possible but improbable (plane was stolen, landed, and re-purposed for terrorism).

But all that time has passed!

Plenty of time for the plane to have landed/passed into the zenith dimension/been abducted into the hollow earth and then parts been placed in the ocean later on to allow for the story of it crashing to cover-up the real plans of the Illuminati/lizard Jew overlords/Centauri bugmen.

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    The weird thing will be, what if the debris does indeed turn out to be from flight 370, but they finish the entire search area and find nothing. Then what?

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The weird thing will be, what if the debris does indeed turn out to be from flight 370, but they finish the entire search area and find nothing. Then what?

The ocean is really big. Like, really big.

At this point finding it would be the weird thing.

There's a few interesting methods that can be used to trace the origins of the flap (studying the clams on it to figure-out their species, and then going to the spot in the ocean where that species is most often found; tracing back current patterns to figure out the likely trajectory of the flap; looking for trace elements left behind by the flap as it drifted; etc), but as HappylilElf says, it's a big ass ocean. There are lots of big planes that have disappeared never to be found again (granted, nothing quite as large or heavily populated as an Airbus).

With Love and Courage
    Hm.

2B16BA3100000578-0-image-a-42_1438694758704.jpg

This thing has also been found, now, on the same island.

it's too small to be a window frame... and I think too large to be, say, the overhead passenger console panel casing. But it does look sort-of familiar.

Might just be random junk, of course.

With Love and Courage
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    Looks like part of a door viewport to me.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Or the casing of an old sewing machine.

• Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

There's a few interesting methods that can be used to trace the origins of the flap (studying the clams on it to figure-out their species, and then going to the spot in the ocean where that species is most often found; tracing back current patterns to figure out the likely trajectory of the flap; looking for trace elements left behind by the flap as it drifted; etc), but as HappylilElf says, it's a big ass ocean. There are lots of big planes that have disappeared never to be found again (granted, nothing quite as large or heavily populated as an Airbus).

Semantic, I know, but it was a Boeing 777, not an Airbus.