As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] Friendship Is Rare!

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It was really, really boring to watch. I think the crowd really wanted to root for Taker, but nothing was happening.

uyvfOQy.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Did Taker/Brock really come off that heatless on TV? It didn't have great crowd reactions or anything but from what I heard the Superdome did several loud Taker chants.

I think it felt that way because there was no bought the finish as a possible finish until after it had happened. People didnt even audibly count along to the 1-2-3 because everyone expected Taker to kick out.

Even in previous Taker matches, the best ones had moments where it felt like the crowd bought into the idea of a false finish, like the sweet chin music into a pedigree during HHH 3. This ending didnt feel like one of those moments, and then it was over and taker had lost.

It was weird.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie, I felt it was gonna happen at the moment it did

After three F5s my brain was just like "okay, they're doing it with Lesnar"

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The Taker/Brock thing to me is that the build made it seem like a non-issue as to the outcome. It was sold as the attraction of the Undertaker and his yearly win at WM, rather than Brock having an actual chance. No one expected the match to end when it did, and it left everyone shocked. I feel like they were saving their excitement for the moment when they knew Taker was going to finish it.

CorporateRed on
    Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    OK I've got to try and get some sleep, gotta check out by 11 in the morning and have a 6 to 7 hour drive home. I'll give a more detailed review of the show when I get home and give some info on the live crowd from what I heard and saw.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I think the hype video for Bryan/HHH might surpass HBK/Taker 2 for my favorite wwe hype video ever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Also I'm so so so so so so happy Cesaro won the battle royal.

And holy fuck that ending was awesome.

(also Kofi, as always.)

I really wanted Big E to win and cement him as the new big guy in the WWE. Cesaro though is the next best thing as the best athletic strong guy in the current roster.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Big E would have been great too and I love the guy, but I think he could use a bit more seasoning.

I think Cesaro is ready now.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Big E should be used more but he is at the right level where he is right now.

Cesaro deserved the rub because he's too good and too over to be stuck in the midcard.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Undertaker taken to hospital, possible concussion.
    Prowrestling.net can confirm reports that Undertaker (Mark Calaway) was taken by ambulance to a hospital in New Orleans after his WrestleMania 30 match with Brock Lesnar on Sunday. It is believed that he suffered a concussion during the match.

Reason for Brock winning maybe?

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    brock won because they scripted him to win

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    *alarm clock goes off*
    *grabs phone and checks date*
    *checks penny arcade thread and multiple wrestling websites*

OK... So that wasn't a dream...

Hey we get numbers on the universally (and by that I mean USA only) loved WWE Network today!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The Shield is still the best
    It's a double triple powerbomb, not a triple double powerbomb by a 2-1 decision

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    In nonwrestlemania 'everything can happen in the wwe' news
    The Oculus, a WWE productions movie, is currently 100% RT

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm seeing people on Facebook saying that Brock Lesnar wasn't supposed to win and that he's been sacked for improperly pinning taker. Come on guys, the streak had to end some time.

my favorite thing is "but brock lesnar only wrestles part time!" when the undertaker wrestles one match a year

• MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    I'm watching Episode 1 of RAW and drawing all the wrestlers in an idealized sort of way. Hopefully I'll have something cool to show from it later.

The only reason, dramatically, to have a streak is to eventually end it. There's no drama in the streak continuing. Taker is aware of this, and would have signed off on the streak ending.

yeah, I'm pretty sure there's nobody with more control over that streak than the Undertaker

I don't really have a problem with people screaming about conspiracies because in this era, wrestling is at its best when it exists in the crossover zone between "I know this is all scripted" and "holy shit is he legit mad at that dude?"

anyways I'm going to go watch the end of that match again because the crowd's reaction to it was amazing

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I'm seeing some reports stating Taker was taken to hospital last night after WM. Some are saying he might have received a concussion early on in the match (possibly the belly to belly?) but that the ending still went as planned.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    why didn't anyone ever tell me Episode 1 of Raw contains HBK vs. the guy from the american box art for Mega Man.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I haven't finished the Undertaker match yet (we did put the kid to bed and I promised not to watch the rest without him despite the torture of wanting to see what I missed) but the reason I was mostly shocked was that the Undertaker at WM is so legendary that it just felt very anticlimactic. I expected more of him rising from the dead to keep making you feel like he was unbeatable - it just honestly felt like it was a match watching Lesner beat up an old man and felt very unlike the character. I don't mind him losing, I just wanted it to be more of a memorable match.

With that said, my first PPV was awesome (and will be better once I finish it). The thing at the beginning was great, even though I skipped most of the Rock/Austin era of wrestling it still felt special. The Battle Royal especially was amazing, even my wife was super into that despite her favorite (Miz) going out early.

I would suggest that they should have ended the streak while Taker was still capable of putting on a really good show. I think he's just taken too much of a battering.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The best thing about this Wrestlemania that finally, after a string of pretty forgettable ones, this one really did feel special. To use WWE lingo, there really were some great "Wrestlemania Moments":

-The opening promo with Rock/Austin/Hogan was just so much fun.

-Bryan getting a clean pin over HHH

-Cesaro lifting the Big Show, which was so damn amazing.

-Taker losing

-Bryan winning and celebrating to close out the show.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I'm seeing some reports stating Taker was taken to hospital last night after WM. Some are saying he might have received a concussion early on in the match (possibly the belly to belly?) but that the ending still went as planned.
    Mark Calaway (Undertaker) was taken to the hospital in an ambulance after tonight's show due to fear he had suffered a concussion and a possible neck injury. As of the last word we got, he was expected to remain over night for observation.

This had no bearing on the finish, which went off exactly as planned. The injury is believed to have happened early in the match when Undertaker took a bad fall off a single leg.

While we heard a story that only a few people knew the finish, that clearly was not the case because Lesnar went from a 40-to-1 underdog to the actual favorite on several gambling sites in the last hour or so before the match, so people in the knew met and won heavily on that result.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    There are many mysteries in life. One of which is why anyone would bet on professional wrestling. It seems akin to betting on the ending of How I Met Your Mother.

I'm just glad we're not having any 'Randy Orton ruptured a kidney' type news. My 'Bryan is going to win this moment' was a bit dampened by that bump, especially because the things that followed it were back to the barricade, back to the ring point spots.

He seemed to recover after a while though.

And yeah, the mission of this WM was make it bigger than it has been in a long time, pay off all your fanbase, show the Network is the future, and they did that amazingly well.

The monitor he landed on was kind of smushed, too, he hit that fucker hard

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh, so I watched this with three lapsed erestling fans. They remembered HHH, Taker, Batista, and Orton, but that was it. One used to be part of the IWC, so he knew about the backstage stuff and read up a bit leading up to this years Wrestlemania but the other two really didn't have any idea on the storylines beyond what I mentioned.

They loved the show, and reacted perfectly at each match. They got into Bryan immediately (The Yes chant really impressed them) and were cheering when Bootista taped out. Let out a nice "Holy shit!" when Cesaro lifted Big Show, and were shocked when Taker lost.

Also they were sold on the Network based on the quality of the stream alone, which I don't think it's getting enough praise. Apart from a few hiccups here and there it was mainly perfect, which was a damn accomplishment.

That reminds me how we'll never see Bryan vs. Takeshi Morishima again and now I'm sad. Especially since Morishima lost all that weight and I'd love to see what the two could do now.

Come on Hunter, sign him for at least a few months just so the two can wrestle again.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I should rewatch Brock/Taker, I'd probably like it better knowing the finish. Taker acting beaten down and barely able to fight annoyed me when I was sure he was going to win, but it makes sense building up to a loss.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I wonder how they will open Raw tonight? Open with Authority/D-Bry, Heyman/Brock in the middle and possibly a Taker sendoff to close?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited April 2014
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I should rewatch Brock/Taker, I'd probably like it better knowing the finish. Taker acting beaten down and barely able to fight annoyed me when I was sure he was going to win, but it makes sense building up to a loss.

Him hurting himself on the leg takedown outside the ring probably didn't help matters either.

wirehead26 on
    So... Beating the streak has to automatically put you in the title picture right?

I mean seriously... Where do you go from there but the title picture?

Oh man, if Taker starts to hint at retiring the crowd (and myself) will get real emotional.

I'm not going to Raw btw, circumstances prevented it.

zllehs wrote: »
    So... Beating the streak has to automatically put you in the title picture right?

I mean seriously... Where do you go from there but the title picture?

I've wanted to see Bryan vs Lesnar since he came back.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I honestly feel stupid for not picking Ceasro to win the Battle Royale. They've spent the last 2 months getting over how incredibly strong Cesaro is and then they spent the last fortnight saying how it would require someone incredibly strong to eliminate Big Show. It seems so obvious in retrospect.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
This discussion has been closed.