As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] Friendship Is Rare!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    So... Beating the streak has to automatically put you in the title picture right?

I mean seriously... Where do you go from there but the title picture?

I think Bryan/Lesnar would have happened at Summerslam regardless.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I'll be completely honest in saying from a storyline payoff standpoint I enjoyed the Divas match more than the Battle Royal

Nearly every spot in the Divas match played well off an earlier feud or something that happened leading into it (examples include Layla and Summer Rae double-teaming Nattie to start things off, because Laycool & Total Divas, Aksana chasing Naomi around the whole match, or even my least favorite moment of the match, Eva pushing over Tamina to call back Tamina squashing her in her first match)

And AJ slamming Naomi's hand along with Naomi to give the illusion that she may not have tapped legitimately gives reason for a real feud later

Now, for a sheer spectacle standpoint, and for the ending obviously (and for 3MB teamwork obvs), the Battle Royal wins easy, but storyline wise, a lot of the guys who butted heads going into the match didn't really interact AT ALL, they built a ton of stories and then didn't DO anything with them, it was a little disappointing on that one level

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    zllehs wrote: »
    So... Beating the streak has to automatically put you in the title picture right?

I mean seriously... Where do you go from there but the title picture?

I've wanted to see Bryan vs Lesnar since he came back.

Ugh reversing the Kimura Arm Lock into the yes lock will get such a huge pop.

Can't wait

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I'll be completely honest in saying from a storyline payoff standpoint I enjoyed the Divas match more than the Battle Royal

Nearly every spot in the Divas match played well off an earlier feud or something that happened leading into it (examples include Layla and Summer Rae double-teaming Nattie to start things off, because Laycool & Total Divas, Aksana chasing Naomi around the whole match, or even my least favorite moment of the match, Eva pushing over Tamina to call back Tamina squashing her in her first match)

And AJ slamming Naomi's hand along with Naomi to give the illusion that she may not have tapped legitimately gives reason for a real feud later

Now, for a sheer spectacle standpoint, and for the ending obviously (and for 3MB teamwork obvs), the Battle Royal wins easy, but storyline wise, a lot of the guys who butted heads going into the match didn't really interact AT ALL, they built a ton of stories and then didn't DO anything with them, it was a little disappointing on that one level

I thought Big E. and Del Rio would do something since that's a reported feud post-Mania.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Rewatching the Batista Bomb into the RKO into the Kidney Killer and you can see in a shot from behind the table that they tossed the monitor, but when it landed it kinda snuck back under the table and it's just waiting for its moment to strike

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So Ezekiel Jackson has finally been let go. Can't say that I'll miss him but hope he finds success wherever he ends up.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Holy shit Ezekiel Jackson was still on the payroll?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Holy shit Ezekiel Jackson was still on the payroll?

He was injured for a long time like Evan Bourne.

• Options
    The first shot has officially been fired in the battle to become the No. 2 wrestling company in the world. On Monday, Jeff Jarrett unveiled the name of their long-rumored promotion, Global Force Wrestling. The logo of their new company, provided exclusively to SB Nation, is above.

Starting a new wrestling company with the goal to become a competitor (or at least an alternative) to the WWE is no small undertaking, but Jarrett feels the current state of the business leaves ample room for more than one wrestling destination.

Speaking to SB Nation from his home in Hendersonville, Tenn., Jarrett talked about Global Force and their mission statement. "[WWE] have built a brand over the last 50, 60 years. And truly, [WrestleMania] weekend is the perfect example of just how global their brand is. Professional wrestling has been around since the advent of television. There is definitely room, space for a brand new promotion to come on the scene. And we're going to put out the very best product that we can. Our mission statement is going to be, right at the very top, that we are going to put out a professional wrestling product that listens to the fans, engages the fans. We are going to immerse ourselves with the wrestling fan and that is going to be first and foremost."

Jarrett stated that there will be announcements over the next several weeks involving a potential launch date for the new company, but it's clear he's excited about the new venture and can't wait to get started.

"We're very excited. This is day one of a very, very fantastic journey. In the scope of things, it's still very, very early. [Monday's press release] was as soon as I could get information out. More information to come."

Toby Keith's name has continually come up regarding rumors of Jarrett's new promotion, ever since Keith and Jarrett reportedly attempted to purchase TNA in December of 2013. Speculation will continue to swirl about Keith's involvement, but for the time being he is not officially attached to the company. "We're going to be making several announcements over the coming weeks about Global Force Wrestling's strategic partners," said Jarrett.

Jeff Jarrett is no stranger to starting up a wrestling company. Jeff was wrestling for his father, promoter Jerry Jarrett, when Jerry merged Continental Wrestling Association with World Class Championship Wrestling to form the USWA. In 2002, after becoming a four-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Jeff co-founded his own wrestling promotion, Total Nonstop Action, with his father. After founding the company on a template of weekly pay-per-views in lieu of weekly television programming, TNA eventually landed a TV deal with Spike and slowly built a dedicated fan base, rising to prominence as the second most popular promotion in the country and providing a viable alternative to WWE for the first time since the sale of WCW to Vince McMahon.

A multi-time TNA champion and central focus of the company for several years, Jarrett spent the last few years focusing on off-screen ventures, such as developing and launching the Ring Ka King promotion in India.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    GFW? Well that's different than anything that starts with a W, though GFW reminds me of GLOW.

The more companies the better in the end, might help wrestlers have more choice in who to work with and give some competition which is never a bad thing.

Jarrett better not be the chosen one in this company, dude's strictly mid tier at best and his runs in TNA were awful as the dude at the top. Again, mid tier.

• Options
    Jarrett is 46 years old, I sure as hell hope he's not the face of the company as a wrestler at least. Doing an occasional mid card match is fine though.

• Options
    I can't wait to see Games For Windows Live....I mean Global Force Wrestling Live

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    STAMFORD, Conn., April 7, 2014 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced that WWE Network has 667,287* subscribers and is well on its way to reaching its goal of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014 just 42 days after launching in the U.S., making it the fastest-growing digital subscription service. This announcement comes following a historic WrestleMania® 30, which aired live on WWE Network as well as on pay-per-view through satellite and cable providers from a sold-out Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    As previously reported, the Undertaker losing to Brock Lesnar went as planned last night. Back in 2010, Undertaker wanted to work a WrestleMania program with Lesnar and reportedly was willing to lose and end the streak then.

Despite rumblings of the long rumored Undertaker vs. Sting match taking place at next year's WrestleMania, the feeling backstage is that after last night's match, the Undertaker is done.

So who does Sting face now? Bray?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    sting doesnt face anyone because he's too goddamn old and i don't wanna watch it

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Sting faces Undertaker in a nice game of checkers in the retirement home

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    As previously reported, the Undertaker losing to Brock Lesnar went as planned last night. Back in 2010, Undertaker wanted to work a WrestleMania program with Lesnar and reportedly was willing to lose and end the streak then.

Despite rumblings of the long rumored Undertaker vs. Sting match taking place at next year's WrestleMania, the feeling backstage is that after last night's match, the Undertaker is done.

Personally I'd kind of like to see him in some sort of a GM role. Some little spot to try and help turn the tide after D-Bry started with taking on The Authority.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    if taker really was concussed that makes the quality of the match make a lot more sense

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gonmun wrote: »

Personally I'd kind of like to see him in some sort of a GM role. Some little spot to try and help turn the tide after D-Bry started with taking on The Authority.

I don't know, crow Sting and the Wyatt's interacting has possibilities at least in terms of promos.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind if Sting came in only to do promotional work and got his HoF deal next year.

He doesn't need to wrestle. Have him mentor someone and help get them over even.

• Options
    Guys I just realized something

So Cesaro just won the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal, and he did it by bodyslamming The Giant

Hogan's totally gonna come out to congratulate him tonight, only to get interrupted by Zeb & Swagger

Obvious, maybe, but still unbelievably exciting

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    My viewing party with non-wrestling fans did not go as great. They kept saying how MMA was better then this cause it was real, mocked Daniel Bryan cause they thought he looked stupid and said that I should never have them watch wrestling again.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    my favorite thing is "but brock lesnar only wrestles part time!" when the undertaker wrestles one match a year

I dont know if I can say I totally agree but I get it sort of. Not in regards to Taker mind you as yes he is a very part timer at this point. But if you have something 22 years in the making that you can only use one time. Would you use it to turn the next big thing into a house hold name? Or would you take a guy who is only around half the year, is a multi sport star and not signed long term and give him yet another feather in his cap.

Let's put it this way...Imagine they had given it to Bray or Cesaro? You would have a guy that isnt in the mainstream rocket pushed to the front page of news sights. Instead Lesnar is there, Lesnar who already has that level of fame and didnt need this once in a lifetime opporunity.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

So Cesaro just won the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal, and he did it by bodyslamming The Giant

Hogan's totally gonna come out to congratulate him tonight, only to get interrupted by Zeb & Swagger

Battle to determine who is the real real American.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    MrDapper wrote: »
    My viewing party with non-wrestling fans did not go as great. They kept saying how MMA was better then this cause it was real, mocked Daniel Bryan cause they thought he looked stupid and said that I should never have them watch wrestling again.

Wrestling just isn't for everybody. Only the cool kids.

• Options

Sorry to hear that man.

Some times it works and some times it doesn't.

But you tried, sorry if they ruined the event for you.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    sting doesnt face anyone because he's too goddamn old and i don't wanna watch it

Sting is in good enough shape that before long he could be capable of special attraction spots to build to one big Mania moment. He isn't Hogan/Flair broken down like you seem to think. Should he wrestle on the regular? Hell no, but I could see them keeping him on camera in some roll, having him wrestle a couple tune up matches near mania after he gets in the best shape he can and then finishing with a big moment against Taker. It is a year away they can keep them apart for now and build too it later.

• Options

I think it has been clear since the 80's real americans have male pattern baldness...Cesaro wins by default.

• Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    The Betman wrote: »

Sting is in good enough shape that before long he could be capable of special attraction spots to build to one big Mania moment. He isn't Hogan/Flair broken down like you seem to think. Should he wrestle on the regular? Hell no, but I could see them keeping him on camera in some roll, having him wrestle a couple tune up matches near mania after he gets in the best shape he can and then finishing with a big moment against Taker. It is a year away they can keep them apart for now and build too it later.

Just put him back in the rafters. One of the few things WCW managed to do perfectly till they fucked it up at Starrcade 97.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Pricing the early commitment as the same as Wrestlemania was one of the smartest things they could have done for that service

• Options

Flagpole Match at Extreme Rules

Each opponent is given a flag on a pole (US Flag for Cesaro, Gadsden Flag for Swagger), and must plant the flag at the top of the ramp

Or maybe a flagpoles are put at opposite corners of the ring, and the goal is to raise your flag first

I'll leave it up to creative to create the details, just make a Flagpole Match happen

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »

Sorry to hear that man.

Oh definitely not, it was such a great show it would take a lot to ruin it. Just that it was supposed to be more of an even split, but all the wrestling fans I knew dropped out at the last moment.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Im still a bit stunned by Taker losing to Lesnar of all people. I don't follow wrestling as much as I used to and pretty much the only Lesnar things I remember are: when he botched the shooting star press, his utterly atrocious match with Goldberg and he has a giant penis tatoo on his chest.
    Of all the people to end the streak Lesnar would've be somewhere near the bottom for me

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Sting goes back to when I used to watch wrestling (well, colorful Sting, not Crow Sting) and I really don't know if I want to see him wrestle. I already find watching the Undertaker and Kane in their current versions pretty sad and the folks I mostly missed by skipping the Attitude era (HHH, New Age Outlaws) pretty dull since I don't have the nostalgia to fall back on.

I think it's great when careers can span eras and decades, but when it gets in the way of having a good match or being active in the ring more than once a year I'm not a fan. The weird exception is Golddust who seems strangely better today than I remember him being when I watched way back when and he seems to be much more actively in regular matches than a lot of the other folks that have been around awhile.

• Options
    Cade wrote: »

Sorry to hear that man.

Oh definitely not, it was such a great show it would take a lot to ruin it. Just that it was supposed to be more of an even split, but all the wrestling fans I knew dropped out at the last moment.

Glad to hear it didn't.

Well you know who to invite next time and who not to invite, maybe some of the wrestling fans will be able to be there and enjoy it all with you.

Always nice to be with others who enjoy the whole thing. Can make it that much more special.

• Options
    4dDbuCz.jpg

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    something I forgot to mention last night that I really liked in the Andre the Giant Memorial 30 Man Over the Top Battle Royal was Alberto Del Rio actually having fun being in the ring

• Options
    estrada42estrada42 Registered User regular

I think that might be more the ref was in the wrong position to see the arm AJ had.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Undertaker wrestled one match in the last year and he's in the hospital with a concussion

he lost the one thing that brought him back to the last however many wrestlemanias

but it's cool, in a year's time he'll be in fighting shape again (and a year older, but that's not a huge factor in human health, especially at his age) to fight Sting, and make a dream come true 15 years in the making, joining such milestone projects as Guns 'N' Roses' Chinese Democracy and Star Wars Episode 1

Dex Dynamo on
This discussion has been closed.