As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    my worry at this point if you ordered something like that online idk if it would get here in time inless you did overnight

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Renneesme wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Hey ladies, germs, and all others.

I am looking for some portable power for my iPhone 5. I also got an 3rd Gen iPad and a 3DS but being able to charge those up is purely gravy as the phone is what normally goes dry at PAX, and it'd be nice to not have to fight for an outlet at the convention center. I've done a bit of searching but figured it'd be best to get feedback from people who have similar needs as to mind. I don't need anything fancy really, as this is almost exclusively for PAX, so I'd prefer something on the affordable side.

Thanks!

This is what I bought from Amazon and honestly, it's been doing wonderfully for me! I got it for $30 and I'm bringing it to PAX for my boyfriend and I:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9BECAC/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yep I have something similar
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C13YSIO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I have nothing but praise for my Monoprice external battery. 2 ports, one is high amp for images, and it can be recharged by a standard micro USB which I already carry for my phone, camera, etc. They have ever different sizes for your purposes, check them out.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    If you want some serious charging capacity, combine one of these with one of these.

(This is a joke, please don't actually do this.)

row1.pngrow2.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think that question has been sufficiently beat to death ;)

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think that question has been sufficiently beat to death ;)

Deader then a cell phone on Sunday at PAX ?

• RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Deader then a cell phone on Sunday at PAX ?
    Not if you buy one of those chargers!

In light of the bag check thing, anyone know if there's any requirement for carrying medication with you? Got a little pill case instead of keeping the giant prescription bottle with me. It's non narcotic stuff but that doesn't really matter since to to the average person they wont know the difference. Not like I have a paper script to carry with me so should I be worried? First time being on any type of regular meds let alone traveling with them so no idea how this all works.

edited April 2014
    According to the official pax twitter, they will only be looking for weapons or dangerous material. I doubt they give a fuck about your meds. Think sporting event bag check. To find out for sure though, you'd have to contact the BCEC.

For flying, check tsa.gov

zerzhul on
  • mdhomeschoolmdhomeschool Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if there is a way to access another user's schedule on Guidebook (without clicking on each individual session name, that is)? I'd like to grab my son's session choices and merge them with my daughter's. Possible?

If your that worried but all the pill bottles in a clear zip lock bag in there prescription containers like you would for an airplane, no one is going to care.

• RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    If your that worried but all the pill bottles in a clear zip lock bag in there prescription containers like you would for an airplane, no one is going to care.
    Reason I bought the pill box is the prescription bottles are huge (not the normal size bottle you're probably thinking of) and a pain in the ass to carry for the 2 I will need to take during the day.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Think sporting event bag check.
    Dude I'm from NY, that is like the least comforting thing I can hear. The TSA ain't got nothing on some of our stadiums. I'll try to contact BCEC like you suggest and worst case I'll just have to go out to my car when I need one.

I know this is gonna sound dumb ass, but it is illegal in most states, including Massachetts to transport prescription medication outside of a prescription bottle. If you want to carry a pill box for 1 or two pills, nobody gonna harass you. Put if you got 200 valium on you... yeah your asking for trouble, but it wont be from the BCEC bag checkers, who will most likely due a Stick Check looking only for weapons and stuff that could cause others physical harm.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access another user's schedule on Guidebook (without clicking on each individual session name, that is)? I'd like to grab my son's session choices and merge them with my daughter's. Possible?
    You'd have to contact guidebook for help with their app I think. If that is possible I haven't seen how to do it yet :)

• PKBitchGirlPKBitchGirl Registered User regular
    When will people from overseas be able to pick up their badges?

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Hey guys! I have a few questions about the shuttle. I am staying at the Midtown, so will be needing to use this service quite a bit.

1. Can I take the shuttle to AND from the convention regardless of the time? For example, at 10:00pm could I take the shuttle TO the convention center?
    2. How fast/reliable are the shuttles? I am concerned mostly for Sunday returning home, and dont want to waste half the convention waiting for a shuttle.
    3. It says every 30 minutes. I assume that at my hotel ONE would arrive at 9, 9:30,10,10:30 etc is that correct? What if it is full when it arrives, does that mean I have to wait another half hour?!
    4. How full do these things get? Do they just have one shuttle per location that goes back and forth?
    5. Suitcases. On sunday I will have my suitcase with me and plan on using Bag Check at the con. Can I bring this on the shuttle and how difficult will that be? Where would they store it?
    6. Where do I find the shuttles AT the con to return to my hotel? Is it really easily marked that need shuttle 1? I assume they drop off at the front of the building, is that the same place I get picked up?

SOO Many questions! I know... I just like to be prepared. Thanks a ton :)

edited April 2014
    Answered based on past PAX EAST Experience. Your experience may differ.

1. Can I take the shuttle to AND from the convention regardless of the time? For example, at 10:00pm could I take the shuttle TO the convention center?

The driver wont care, they are a loop, unless you on the last loop and he or she is not going back to center, you should be good

2. How fast/reliable are the shuttles? I am concerned mostly for Sunday returning home, and dont want to waste half the convention waiting for a shuttle.

You are at the mercy of the crowd, if there are more people then seats you wait for the next one. The are reliable but there is no guarantee 50 people wont be ahead of you. Plan on a taxi when leaving on last day and your better off.

3. It says every 30 minutes. I assume that at my hotel ONE would arrive at 9, 9:30,10,10:30 etc is that correct? What if it is full when it arrives, does that mean I have to wait another half hour?

Its a loop so every 30 minutes or so one will arrive, sometimes its 25 sometimes its 35 and it wont be typically on the hour or half hour, it all depends on the route.

4. How full do these things get? Do they just have one shuttle per location that goes back and forth?

Depends on time of day and how many PAXers are at your hotel or the one before your hotel. Typically there is more then one bus in mornings and as floor closes and then as hall closes, but don't expect more then 1 at 2 in the afternoon.

5. Suitcases. On sunday I will have my suitcase with me and plan on using Bag Check at the con. Can I bring this on the shuttle and how difficult will that be? Where would they store it?

You used the singular form of suitcase, you should be ok. If you packed for a 3 week trip then you might have an issue.

6. Where do I find the shuttles AT the con to return to my hotel? Is it really easily marked that need shuttle 1? I assume they drop off at the front of the building, is that the same place I get picked up?

Its pretty clearly marked, but your best bet is scout ahead. The help desk can point you to the west side of the building to leave. You will arrive at the east end.

Dolarrah on
  • schimmdogschimmdog Registered User regular
    Can anyone tell me if the red line maintenance listed here (http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/transit_updates/?ttype=subway&advistory=true&route=Red+Line#advise) will effect me if I'm coming from Park Street station to South?

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    schimmdog wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the red line maintenance listed here (http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/transit_updates/?ttype=subway&advistory=true&route=Red+Line#advise) will effect me if I'm coming from Park Street station to South?

They should not, those stations are on the top of the red line far from South and Park street. And you are passing though Downtown crossing so that should not affect you.
    http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?route=RED

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
    When will people from overseas be able to pick up their badges?
    Likely on Thursday, but wait for official pax word on will call hours.

• akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    How long will gabe and techno be signing on Sunday? Will there be a certain time where they stop people getting in line?

• Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    Is there a thread or list talking about the board game room?
    I'm bringing the wife to Pax and I'm wondering just how the board game setup is going to be.
    I'm hoping to expose her to some new games she might dig.

Is there a thread or list talking about the board game room?
    I'm bringing the wife to Pax and I'm wondering just how the board game setup is going to be.
    I'm hoping to expose her to some new games she might dig.
    Thread for it here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/181712/pre-pax-tabletop-discussion-for-east-2014

There's no list of games though. There will be lots :)

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    question: what would be the policy on something like potentially offensive logos on T shirts or something like that? I ask because I'm planning on going in a white painters coverall and carrying around a pack of markers and encouraging people to sign and doodle on me over the the weekend. I expect to get penises drawn on there and I don't intend to discourage that should it happen, I want to let people do whatever they want. but will I get asked to remove my suit if I have something like penises drawn all over it?

DanQ wrote: »
    question: what would be the policy on something like potentially offensive logos on T shirts or something like that? I ask because I'm planning on going in a white painters coverall and carrying around a pack of markers and encouraging people to sign and doodle on me over the the weekend. I expect to get penises drawn on there and I don't intend to discourage that should it happen, I want to let people do whatever they want. but will I get asked to remove my suit if I have something like penises drawn all over it?
    Well, attendees /showing/ genitalia would be asked to change clothing, but Wil Wheaton wore a cape of dicks at pax one day and had no issues. I wouldn't expect any issues, and if you have them, people will likely be polite if they ask you to change.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    akl3in wrote: »
    How long will gabe and techno be signing on Sunday? Will there be a certain time where they stop people getting in line?

Guidebook says it's 10:30 to 12:30. They'll probably cap the line when it seems like people won't make it to the front by the time the signing session ends.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • 3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Is there an online listing of exhibitors, or an online exhibitor map? I can see it on the guidebook app, but I don't see any links on the website.

rd4rhJL.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    3ricG wrote: »
    Is there an online listing of exhibitors, or an online exhibitor map? I can see it on the guidebook app, but I don't see any links on the website.
    It has not been updaed in a few weeks, but this thread has a list of some.
    Their list is:
    Ackk Studios
    BenQ
    Bethesda
    The Behemoth
    Blizzard
    Capcom Pro Tour
    Carbine (WildStar)
    Cloud Imperium
    CritSuccess
    Dennaton Games (Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number)
    Disruptor Beam
    Edge of Reality
    EverythingEpic Games
    Extra Life
    Game Underground
    Fantasy Flight Gaming (X-Wing Miniatures Game)
    GamingEtc
    Geek Chic
    Greater Than Games
    Klei
    Logitech
    Mega 64
    Mindcrack
    The Next Level
    NinjaBee
    Oculus VR
    Operation Supply Drop
    Rooster Teeth
    Soda Drinker Pro
    Supergiant
    tinyBuild Games
    Turtle Rock
    Uber Entertainment
    Wyrmwood Gaming

you can see the exhibitor map online via the mobile guidebook site. http://m.guidebook.com in a desktop browser.

• stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    yutani san wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, pick up is from level 0 on one of the side entrances. It was very clearly marked which bus goes to which hotels. I'm not sure about drop off, I didn't take a shuttle to the convention center last year, only from.

• TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Although I've attended the prior 4 PAX East cons, I've never gone to a Friday morning panel. This year, I'm looking at going to the 10:30 Blizzard panel. If I recall correctly, there is the main expo floor queue and the main theater queue when people show up before 10am on Friday. For a panel that isn't the keynote, do I wait in the main queue and walk to the conference room for that panel when they start moving the main queue at 10am, or am I able to walk directly to that room before 10am and wait in that queue?

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would think you should be able to line up right at your theater, Main theater will have quite a long line anyways i would guess if they do not empty it for Roosterteeth.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
    that is a good question to ask are all the panel things avalible through the main door or is there dif doors to get to dif parts of the building and dif panels

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    I would think you should be able to line up right at your theater, Main theater will have quite a long line anyways i would guess if they do not empty it for Roosterteeth.

You should be able to line up straight at your theater in the morning, as it doesn't make sense to have everyone line up in the Queue Room just to go through Expo Hall to go to the theater you want to be at, which is probably not close by.
    rascrush wrote: »
    that is a good question to ask are all the panel things avalible through the main door or is there dif doors to get to dif parts of the building and dif panels

There's a side entrance on the west side of floor 1 and on the east side of floor 0, as well as the skybridge to the Westin on floor 2, but by and large, most people will be coming in through the main entrance on the north side of floor 1.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    For those internationals who might be wondering (I tweeted to PA) ...
    Question: @Official_PAX Wondering what the Thursday hours for "Will Call" for passes will be #paxeastwillcall

Answer: 2pm - 8pm!

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • schimmdogschimmdog Registered User regular
    If I'm looking to line up before the doors open do I have to line up outside the main entrance and not any of the side entrances?

schimmdog wrote: »
    If I'm looking to line up before the doors open do I have to line up outside the main entrance and not any of the side entrances?
    yes

how long does the bag hold thing that you can do at pax last for. Like will they hold your bag all the way till midnight or does it end when the floor stuff ends at 6pm

rascrush wrote: »
    how long does the bag hold thing that you can do at pax last for. Like will they hold your bag all the way till midnight or does it end when the floor stuff ends at 6pm
    I /think/ that the bag storage lasts for most of the convention, but I could be wrong on that. Were I you, I'd call the BCEC to find out for sure, or tweet the question at http://twitter.com/official_pax

thanks I will call them. Also is this something that happens everyday during the convention or just sunday