As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't Know Much About Comics? Click Here!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The Private Eye is fantastic

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    So I've been reading some stuff featuring the Illuminati, and I really enjoy Namor's attitude and....snark, I guess? Most of the stuff I've been able to find that features him is a lot older and not really the same feel. Has there been much featuring him that I should check out?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Namor was a prominent member of the X-Men from Utopia until the end of AvX. So Matt Fraction's and Kieron Gillen's runs on Uncanny X-Men have a pretty decent amount of haughty snarky Namor.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    He was in Hickman's F4, which is worth reading if you liked his New Avengers

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, will see what I can track down!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    he's also one of the main members of the all new invaders.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    tomisbored wrote: »

OOOHH that looks really good! Even if she doesn't like it I bet I will Thanks.

We were talking about comics tonight and she said she might be interested in Wonder Women, can I pick your collective brains on that one? The wife is also interested in non super hero comics with "strong females". I thought of Luna but I don't remember being a big fan and its a cape wearer as well.

Also does any one have any info on the new Ms. Marvel... I remember reading they are relaunching that title?

How's her tolerance for occasionally violent stuff. ( Especially when it's not overdone, or used just for the sake of gore, and contained in an amazing story)

If she doesn't mind a heavier Suspense/Horror type comic, I cannot recommend Locke and Key enough.

on a slightly safer note, but still a pg13+ comic, is Saga by Fiona Staples and Brian Vaughn

Just bought the first TPB of Locke and Key based on this reccomendation alone, thank you!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

We were talking about comics tonight and she said she might be interested in Wonder Women, can I pick your collective brains on that one? The wife is also interested in non super hero comics with "strong females". I thought of Luna but I don't remember being a big fan and its a cape wearer as well.

Also does any one have any info on the new Ms. Marvel... I remember reading they are relaunching that title?

How's her tolerance for occasionally violent stuff. ( Especially when it's not overdone, or used just for the sake of gore, and contained in an amazing story)

If she doesn't mind a heavier Suspense/Horror type comic, I cannot recommend Locke and Key enough.

on a slightly safer note, but still a pg13+ comic, is Saga by Fiona Staples and Brian Vaughn

Just bought the first TPB of Locke and Key based on this reccomendation alone, thank you!

Get ready for an amazing ride

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Get ready for an amazing ride

Just came back to say I finished the first TPB of Locke and Key and I ordered the rest that were available in paperback. I guess the last collection is only in hardcover, so I'll wait.

Good stuff, I really like it so far.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    He was in Hickman's F4, which is worth reading if you liked his New Avengers

I haven't read New Avengers (and don't really plan to), but I love the concept behind the new Fantastic Four / Future Foundation. Is it still worth reading?

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run is always worth reading.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    so thanks to the movies I find I am quite enjoying Cap (and Winter Soldier and Black Widow). Aside from the first 2 Cap stories listed in the OP, is there anything else I should check out (preferably that is close to what they're doing in the MCU)?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited April 2014
    Well, I would recommend following Ed Brubaker's work on Captain America following the Winter Soldier arc. It's all good stuff, and he wrote Cap from 2004 to 2012, so there's plenty to read there. Besides Brubaker, I'd recommend reading more of Mark Waid's Captain America run. The first collection is Operation Rebirth, and you can find the others listed on Mark Waid's bibliography.

For the Winter Soldier, there's the Winter Soldier solo series, which is good stuff. The first collection is The Longest Winter.

For the Black Widow, check out Black Widow: The Name of the Rose and her current solo series by Nathan Edmonson, which just started within the last few months, and is up to issue 5 so far.

Centipede Damascus on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Excellent. I picked up the Winter Soldier collection and the Death of Captain America collection. My wallet is going to hate living within walking distance of 2 comic stores.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • amaroqkapuzingamaroqkapuzing Registered User new member
    "Kiss and Kill" and "Homecoming" are also pretty decent arcs for Black Widow. If you're interested in the character, most of her solo titles are short and at the least, entertaining enough. And there aren't that many of them.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    My WHENS MAHVEL reading list from a guy who watches Marvel movies, doesn't own any Marvel TPBs, and is looking to fix that:

Captain America, Vol. 1: Winter Soldier
    Iron Man: Extremis
    Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Best of the Best
    Secret War
    Deadpool Classic Volume 9
    Uncanny X-Force, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Solution
    She-Hulk, Vol. 3: Time Trials
    JLA / Avengers

Is this acceptable to the lore masters of Mahvel?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Secret War, you could drop that. It's ok but not really defining like Extremis or Winter Soldier.

Replace it with Waid's Captain America from Operation Rebirth, Man Without a Country, To Serve and Protect, American Nightmare, Red Glare, or Land of the Free.

If you want a good Hulk book, Indestructible Hulk vol. 1: Agent of SHIELD is really top shelf.

And you need to add Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy to that list. I know the trades are out there but there's supposed to be a mega collection coming soon.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Well... the art of Secret War is pretty neat, I'm fine having a few action collections. From what I remember, it was recommended as a better Secret Invasion.

Abnett? As in DAN Abnett? Patron Saint of good action writing?

Amadeus Cho and the Runaways were also highly recommended, but Cho doesn't seem to have any of his own trades.

Alls I knows about Abnett is he is hella good at anything in comics, notably the space/cosmic stuff. If they have a collection of Force Works out there get it because while the art early on is 90's, the writing is very good.

If you want to knuckle down with Abnett, start with the Annihilation stuff, then Annihilation Conquest. If that doesn't hook you on the cosmic Marvel, I doubt even the upcoming movie will make it fetch.

Secret War is one of those books where you might give it to someone who's jaded or cynical about comics just to show they can be gritty, and the art has a lot to do with it, but it's like an imitation of an early Michael Bay movie where it thinks it's more important or groundbreaking than it actually is. But Winter Soldier and Extremis are both much better at doing that, and Extremis has a similar art style.

A better Secret Invasion is pretty easy. If you really want a scope of a war that comics can bring, with some actual meat on the bones that many current events lack, pick up Vol. 5 of Avengers Assemble. It has the Kang Dynasty story in it, and I'm not throwing hyperbole around here when I say it's the best Avengers story ever. And because of how great the writer is, you just need to read that volume and you'll understand everything about every hero and villain you see. It does not get better than that. I recommend it over any book you have on your list.

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    On the topic of Abnett, his New Deadwardians limited series was one of the most interesting takes on vampires and zombies I've read in years.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • onelasttimeonelasttime Registered User new member
    Great article,thank you ,I don't know most of them.

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    What would you recommend for comics based on World War 2?

I enjoyed Garth Ennis' works on Battlefields and War Stories.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Prisca wrote: »
    What would you recommend for comics based on World War 2?

I enjoyed Garth Ennis' works on Battlefields and War Stories.

Probably not the best time to mention it, but if you'd asked a day earlier you could have gotten this for free. Don't know if it's any good though.

Neither takes place exclusively during WW2, but Brubaker's Winter Solider arc in Captain America flashes back to it often and some of Atomic Robo takes place during the war as well.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    Another good one, tho also inserting it's own fiction into the events, is Peter Panzerfaust ( Basically Peter Pan set in WW2)

High Roads is fantastic and one of the best WWII/adventure mini-series ever.

It's not on comixology but the trades are out there.

A more recent and in stock digitally series is Team Zero. It stands on its own without knowing about the Wildstorm heroes, and six bucks for the whole mini is a steal.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Can someone recommend me some scifi comics that deal with living in space? I'm reading Fear Agent now, but that doesn't quite scratch my itch. I'm looking for something along the lines of Farscape, Firefly, and Cowboy Bebop. Something that focuses on surviving on a ship out in inhospitable space, and maybe doing whatever you can just to afford food and fuel.

Are there any comics like that? Anything that involves space pirates or living on the fringe would be a plus.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    Saga might scratch that itch, although it's less specifically spaceship focused than those tv shows are.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon Graham's Prophet run spends a goodly amount of time in space, if I remember right.

I'm kinda sad now that I can't think of a Guardians of the Galaxy or a Starjammers arc that hits those notes, we really should have them, those teams would fit those types of stories to a T

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Iron Man had a recent run that almost dealt with those issues, right up until it got taken over by a 50th anniversary origin story. :P

edited July 2014
    Is Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run worth diving into? I know it's a beast of a thing, but if I'm going to read it I'm going to tackle the whole thing. My background with the character isn't very extensive: I know the very basic of basics about Hal Jordan and nothing beyond Morrison's JLA. Also, I'm going to need help tracking down a good reading order.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    It's quite good up until Sinestro Corps War and then you should stop if you value your sanity because it went on for like 4 more years after that point

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    It's pretty good the whole way through, a little weaker in the blackest night part, but picks up again with War of Green Lanterns / new52

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Bullio wrote: »
    Is Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run worth diving into? I know it's a beast of a thing, but if I'm going to read it I'm going to tackle the whole thing. My background with the character isn't very extensive: I know the very basic of basics about Hal Jordan and nothing beyond Morrison's JLA. Also, I'm going to need help tracking down a good reading order.

Beast, indeed. All of the reading orders I saw online contained all the tie-ins and spin-off series, most of which are inessential. If you want to just read Johns's run, with only the essential tie-ins, here's the reading order:
      REBIRTH
      • Green Lantern Rebirth 1-6 (Collected as a single trade)
      • Green Lantern (2004) 1-20 (These stories get Hal back into the grove of being a GL, and honestly some of them are pretty weak. Collected in Trades as Green Lantern: No Fear; Revenge of the Green Lanterns; and Wanted: Hal Jordan)

SINESTRO CORPS WAR and Prelude to Blackest Night:
      • Sinestro Corps Special #1, Green Lantern 21-25, Green Lantern Corps 14-19 (Sinestro Corps War; now collected in a single volume. The crossover starts with the special, and then alternates between GL and GLC until GLC 17, then read GLC 18 followed by GL 25)
      • Green Lantern 26-28 (Collected in Rage of the Red Lanterns)
      • Green Lantern 29-35 (Collected as Green Lantern: Secret Origin)
      • Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns #1, Green Lantern 36-38 (Collected in Rage of the Red Lanterns)
      • Green Lantern 39-42 (Collected as Agent Orange)

BLACKEST NIGHT and Aftermath (The event series took a couple skip months, so the order is very chaotic; These are collected in separate trades as Blackest Night and Green Lantern: Blackest Night)
      • Green Lantern 43, Blackest Night 0-1, GL 44, BN 2, GL 45, BN 3, GL 46, BN 4, GL 47-48, BN 5-6, GL 49-51, BN 7, GL 52, BN 8
      • Green Lantern 53-62 (Collected as Green Lantern: Brightest Day)

WAR of the GREEN LANTERNS (Collected in an Eponymous Trade)
      • Green Lantern 63 (Prologue issue)
      • Green Lantern 64-67, Green Lantern Corps 58-60, Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors 8-10 (Alternate between GL, GLC and Emerald Warriors each issue)

NEW 52
      • Green Lantern 1-12, Green Lantern Annual 1 (Collected as Green Lantern: Sinestro and Green Lantern: Revenge of the Black Hand)
      • Green Lantern 0, 13-16 (Collected in Green Lantern: The End)
      • ***Green Lantern Corps Annual 1 (DC changed their collections methods with the New 52 to try and get people to buy two collections for event stories; you'll either have to buy this annual as a single or pick up either Green Lantern Corps Volume 3: Willpower, which contains GLC 0, 13-20, and Annual 1; or the Rise of the Third Army collection which has the Annual and issues 13-16 from all the GL titles but is missing all of the 0 issues which established important plot points for the Third Army stories.)
      • Green Lantern 17-20 (Collected in Green Lantern: The End)

The only spin-off series that holds up well is the Old 52 Green Lantern Corps, specifically the intro miniseries and then the run by Pete Tomasi and Patrick Gleason that started during Sinestro Corps War and ran through Blackest Night. If you'd like to read that as well, read the five-issue Green Lantern Corps: Recharged mini-series/trade around the time you get to GL 5, and then once you get to the Sinestro Corps War, just keep alternating GL and GLC up until issue 47 at the end of Blackest Night. Here's an insanely detailed and complicated reading order that's more precise about where to slot those GLC issues and how they were collected into trade.

HadjiQuest on
      Excellent work sir, thank you! I did do a little digging and got a bit overwhelmed, but one of the lists I found suggested reading Secret Origin first before diving into Rebirth if you don't know much about Hal (which I really don't). Agree?

steam_sig.png
    • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
      Bullio wrote: »
      Excellent work sir, thank you! I did do a little digging and got a bit overwhelmed, but one of the lists I found suggested reading Secret Origin first before diving into Rebirth if you don't know much about Hal (which I really don't). Agree?

That's probably a good call if you're really in the dark about Hal. It works both ways, and Rebirth and No Fear spend a lot of time flashing back to his origin, so Secret Origin can get fairly redundant. It mostly exists to retcon some Blackest Night elements into Hal's origin.

Here is some optional stuff that you may want to read if you don't know a lot about the big DCU events from the 90s and 2000s:

There were two "Tales of the Corps" miniseries, one published for the Sinestro Corps Wars (Trade: Tales of the Sinestro Corps Wars) and one for Blackest Night (Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps). I originally wasn't going to suggest these, but if you don't have a lot of background in the 90s DCU or the various Crises (and characters like Parallax, Cyborg Superman, and Superboy Prime), I'd go ahead and read those as well. Most of them recap origins and character histories. The Tales of the Sinestro Corps War series is meant to be read throughout the event (see that link to the reading order posted above), while the Tales of the Corps mini is meant to be read between the Agent Orange storyline and the start of Blackest Night. These minis are the most important side reading, because they actually summarize and recap the events from the Alan Moore backups and Infinite Crisis, along with Death and Return of Superman and Emerald Twilight/New Dawn.

Consider tracking down the Alan Moore Green Lantern backups "Tygers" and "Mogo Doesn't Socialize," but those are both 8 page backup stories so don't buy a whole trade for them. These aren't essential because Johns recaps both of them a few times in different places of his run, but they're interesting to see how much Johns picked up from them.

You might also consider reading the seven issue Infinite Crisis event, which was written by Johns and takes place between issues 13 and 14 of Green Lantern (between the Revenge of the Green Lanterns and Wanted: Hal Jordan trades). Most of it is only tangentially related, but the ending features the GLC and puts some pieces into place for the Sinestro Corps War, and the story itself introduces Superboy Prime, who is a major player during the Sinestro Corps War.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      edited September 2014
      Where is a good place to start buying TMNT on a monthly basis again? I was buying the colored remasters for awhile but quit and would love to start something new. I see Turtles in Time started recently, but is that a long ongoing thing or just a temporary series?
      Edit: Nevermind, got some feedback that I'd really need to Brian McKnight it and start back at one...think I'll hold off for awhile on that.

Lindsay Lohan on
    • E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
      My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but could anyone recommend me some comedy manga?

I like having a new manga to read on Christmas day and for the past couple of years Yotsuba has been filling that hole, but I can't find a release date for Volume 13 so I assume it's been delayed. I'm a fan of:

Azumanga Daioh
      Yotsuba
      K-On
      Sunshine Sketch
      Excel Saga

If you can recommend me something new then I would greatly appreciate it.

I'd like to start reading Captain Marvel cause she looks baller as hell. There are TWO 'Volume 1' Trades currently on amazon: 'Pursuit of Flight' and 'Higher, Further, Faster, More'.

Which is actually like, correct to start reading? I don't wanna mess up continuity!