As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, April 7, 2014 - Time

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    FutureDictatorFutureDictator Registered User regular
    The background is gorgeous, sir.

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Pretty much my feelings whenever I see one of the gorgeous new CG trailers for the game. Nothing I've seen of actual gameplay indicates a large break from the MMO norm.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Or the true cost will end up being 500 ESO bucks if they end up going F2P (I am making no predictions, just contemplating endless possibilities).

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    IKerenskyIKerensky Registered User new member
    I tried ESO in an open beta week end.
    Create a character played for a few minutes then I start asking myself :"Haven't I already played this before ?" So, just to be sure I un-installed it and launch back on my Titans of the Warring Sun squad commander seat.
    If I have to play something I already played before it should either be something I enjoyed back then or at least the original.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Too many feels for this gloomy Monday morning.

The best part is admiring how great the background came out in this, but then realizing how it subtly influences the foreground in the first panel... and the weeping goes on.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    True sentiments. Just started playing Diablo 3 again...and feeling similarly.

Also, is it just me or does "I wept with the grieving" read a little funny?

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    I want this as a wallpaper :U
    This comic makes me happy though, the text carries well.

also I'm pretty sure that's the point smoogy.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Yup, that pretty much sums up every MMO...

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So beautiful, and oh, so true. I may be a bit of an MMO addict, but I have no illusions about them.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    WoW allows user-generated GUI extensions. I wonder if someone could program an app that grants the user Tycho-esque insights into the nature of the game's reality.

Like, whenever you hover over an enemy, it displays a montage of every single time you've fought and killed that exact same enemy. Like a flashback.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    WoW allows user-generated GUI extensions. I wonder if someone could program an app that grants the user Tycho-esque insights into the nature of the game's reality.

Like, whenever you hover over an enemy, it displays a montage of every single time you've fought and killed that exact same enemy. Like a flashback.
    When you hover over gear it should show you what you could do with your life instead of maxing that item slot.
    "3 STR, 4 VIT, Basic proficiency in a foreign language, or a renovated bathroom"

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »

Not necessarily - modern MMOs have been reducing the item-grind. Unfortunately it's been reduced to grinding for one or two item types, like tokens, rather than grind for 30 different items. So the time input exists still, but you can at least focus on just one thing.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    And hopefully there are different ways you can grind out the same token.
    For instance in FFXIV any boss above the low 50's content will drop varying amounts of tomestones. All the raids, and some of the daily quests will give some as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    And hopefully there are different ways you can grind out the same token.
    For instance in FFXIV any boss above the low 50's content will drop varying amounts of tomestones. All the raids, and some of the daily quests will give some as well.

Different ways / places to gather things is gonna be way better on a player's mind than gathering multiple things from individual sources each. It's the same shit at the end of the day in terms of time invested, but still. Also, a "collect just this thing" system allows for people to save up and spend as they desire.

• Options
    Adrian82490Adrian82490 Registered User regular
    The main thing I'm surprised about ~9 hours in is how singleplayer it is. It's not a bad thing at all. Sw:TOR had a much more robust system for guaging how your character grew (companion reactions, dark-light side), but this is still something.

Any MMO that comes out is going to suffer from WoW comparison, as it redefined the mmo genre. Titanfall is great (albeit stripped-down to the nth degree), and you will always be able to compare it to Call of duty and team fortress.

Still, I crave... I CRAAAAVE bethesda to even make a half-assed attempt at making a core Elder Scrolls multiplayer. Arena was multiplayer. There are mods. It can happen! Why, oh why, did they play it safe and give us Elder Scrolls flavored ice cream, instead of a true elder scrolls gelato with real chunks of scroll in it?

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I just realized that the background for this comic is probably based off of the university of washington quad, where they have the cherry blossoms. Are all of the previous park depictions based off an actual park that mike and jerry visit?

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Not necessarily - modern MMOs have been reducing the item-grind. Unfortunately it's been reduced to grinding for one or two item types, like tokens, rather than grind for 30 different items. So the time input exists still, but you can at least focus on just one thing.

That's probably true, but at the end of the day, it's all really wasted time. Of course, that could be said of any video game -- yet I still play them. My only MMO experience is FFXI and WoW, but I'm not playing either of those now. When I think back on all the time I spent on various types of grinds, it's hard to still see it as worthwhile. It's still possible that I could go back to WoW since I only recently left it, but my FFXI days are definitely over. What good are those max level characters now? ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I quoted this elsewhere as "Tycho deconstructs the crafting experience." MMO play in general, I suppose, but crafting in particular, with stark clarity.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Aaaand.. that sums up pretty well my 6 years playing WoW, and probably why I am having difficulties getting through my backlog these days too...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    There are several single-player strategy games that I have sunk well over 250 hours into, some over 500 or even 1000. They do this not through grind, but through intriguing gameplay designed at the most basic level. Simple give-and-take with constant decision making, and all without having to custom-build tons of "ability trees" and other such nonsense.

Once MMOs can figure out how to do this, they'll get my money again. Until then, if I want to grind, I'll at least go into some F2P game whose marketplace I never visit.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

That's probably true, but at the end of the day, it's all really wasted time. Of course, that could be said of any video game -- yet I still play them. My only MMO experience is FFXI and WoW, but I'm not playing either of those now. When I think back on all the time I spent on various types of grinds, it's hard to still see it as worthwhile. It's still possible that I could go back to WoW since I only recently left it, but my FFXI days are definitely over. What good are those max level characters now? ;)

It's only a waste of time if you're not enjoying yourself. Bringing it to WoW, the latest MMO I was able to touch the end-game of, I was able to project how long it'd take to do this, that, and the other. But every day was bringing me a success, either tangible or significant goal post meets, so I was enjoying it. But then I hit a particular threshold of progression where it would take a week for a chance for something so I stopped playing.

I'd say I've mastered my addiction to have perpetual characters, but I'm playing TOR now so fuck me.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    "....so, that's a no, then."

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    IKerenskyIKerensky Registered User new member
    edited April 2014
    Remember the grind at the start of Everquest II ? every ressource node had exactly 1 item of one of two ressources and every recipe asked for the cooperation of two other crafter ? Was it genius, was it madness, I was in heavens and yet in hell.

IKerensky on
  • Options
    donatjdonatj Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    "wept with the grieving" is just bad english.

donatj on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    donatj wrote: »
    "wept with the grieving" is just bad english.

Nonsense. It's just a slightly more poetic and evocative way of saying it. If you compare it a phrase like, say, "I shook with fear" you see the meaning. What would be a better way to say it? "I wept from grieving?" "I wept with grief?" "I wept in grief?" All of these are much less pleasing to the ear IMO.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I think I would have just gone with "and I wept." Possibly in an additional little bubble.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Isn't "the grieving" a group of people that Tycho weeps with?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Isn't "the grieving" a group of people that Tycho weeps with?

"The Grieving" is actually Tycho's poetic-screamo black speed metal band. They play on Wednesdays.

• Options
    likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    You could easily replace "Elder Scrolls Online" with "Ragnarok 2" for this one.