As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To create a thread about [COSMOS], You first have to create the universe

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I cried and I'd already heard the story before

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Man, y'all a bunch of crybabies up in here

JtgVX0H.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    crying tears made of stardust

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't have Hulu but I do have Amazon Prime! Bah, I am annoyed. I... I guess I'll get it on... iTunes..? Shudder.

Everyone has Hulu! Hulu is free! Go to The website and there it is!

If you are Canadian, grab the Media Hint add on for chrome, and then you have Hulu also!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Well finally got around to watching this.

Thought I would get through the first episode without rolling a tear but then Tyson told that story about meeting Sagan and now I'm crying.

Fucking nerd.

edited April 2014
    This is a pretty good show, you guys.

Guys, this show is pretty good.

Edit: You know what actually fucking rules about this show?

Even if you already know all this shit, the poetic spin they put on it all gives you a new appreciation for it.

sarukun on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    This is a pretty good show, you guys.

Guys, this show is pretty good.

Edit: You know what actually fucking rules about this show?

Even if you already know all this shit, the poetic spin they put on it all gives you a new appreciation for it.

Visually, as well as verbally.

It is a visual feast.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Just watched all 4 episodes so far in a row. Pretty good indeed.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i just watched the newest episode from my DVR and OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS FUDGING SHOW.

• number13number13 Registered User regular
    I find space (and science in general) very romantic. I feel like both Sagan and Tyson feel (and felt) the same way, and they have a way of expressing that when they talk which makes even familiar things feel exciting.

In kind of a sappy way, it's like remembering your first kiss.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The music and visuals keep giving me a Mass Effect vibe

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The music and visuals keep giving me a Mass Effect vibe

Episode 6: Dr. Tyson assumes direct control.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

tonight's episode brought tears to my eyes

and those tears refracted the light from the television, subtly changing the wavelengths of the light as it reflected from the compounds and proteins in the skin on my face

i wept science.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    goddamn electrons where do you go between orbits are you hanging out with that bad crowd again

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I feel that in this episode the spectral line explanation was a little to complex. I like the idea that there is a "fingerprint" of the atom that created the light based upon the energy given off. Did anyone else get that vibe? Did anyone learn anything new?

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've known that we use light to discern the makeup of distant objects but this episode helped me get a really good grasp on the actual "how" of it

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    This was definitely my favorite episode. They're really starting to get into some of the subjects that are more difficult to explain and they're doing a great job of breaking it down and making it more accessible to everyone.

I'm hoping that they'll get to black body radiation and the cosmic background radiation next episode.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    My mom was like "So how do quantum leaps fit into time travel?"

..."Mom, that's a TV show with Scott Backula. That has nothing to do with real science..."

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »

..."Mom, that's a TV show with Scott Backula. That has nothing to do with real science..."

Nice try Sam but you gotta convince her better than that!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh boy.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The show always seems like it's going to get a little heavy handed with the science vs. mysticism bit, but I'm glad that they seem to manage to focus on the science without getting too preachy about the pitfalls of oppression. Neil deGrasse Tyson has attributed some responsibility of the decline of science in Islamic states to Al-Ghazali, a corruption of what the guy actually thought. I expected the show to revisit this point, but they didn't (probably because they understood the context better, now). Still, passing over that point kind of feels like an omission to me, even though it exists outside of the show. I understand that it's trying to illustrate the necessity of freedom to nurture scientific thought and development, but it often feels like it is pitting religion against science, instead.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

Whats the captain of the Enterprise doing on a TV show?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    The show always seems like it's going to get a little heavy handed with the science vs. mysticism bit, but I'm glad that they seem to manage to focus on the science without getting too preachy about the pitfalls of oppression. Neil deGrasse Tyson has attributed some responsibility of the decline of science in Islamic states to Al-Ghazali, a corruption of what the guy actually thought. I expected the show to revisit this point, but they didn't (probably because they understood the context better, now). Still, passing over that point kind of feels like an omission to me, even though it exists outside of the show. I understand that it's trying to illustrate the necessity of freedom to nurture scientific thought and development, but it often feels like it is pitting religion against science, instead.

i haven't gotten that impression, although i could understand how someone might. from my point of view it's simply Neil describing current scientific theories and the lives of the people responsible for them, while also pointing out some of the more common misconceptions on the subjects at hand.

agoaj wrote: »

Why does that captain of that Enterprise have a TV show?

I hope that is an April Fool's joke.

Michio Kaku's presence looks like stock footage, I swear I've heard him say those things word-for-word elsewhere.

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I was kind of hoping the new series would have an episode devoted to Mars, just like the original, with a bunch of updates of what we know now compared to when Sagan's series aired in 1980. But looking at the episode titles, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen, unless I'm missing something. Still love this show.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Forget Michio Kaku, I'm trying to figure out Krauss and Tegmark being in this twaddle.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What the actual fuck?

edited April 2014
    If anyone recalls Expelled, that Ben Stein "documentary" where he proves himself to be completely insane, he got a lot of good people for that one, and then he just edited the shit out of what they said to put pro-evolution statements in the worst light.

Shadowen on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Didn't we settle this geocentrism bullshit like..400 years ago?

Did I fall through a portal into some bizarro earth? Did I die and go to hell?

Buttcleft on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Didn't we settle this geocentrism bullshit like..400 years ago?

Did I fall through a portal into some bizarro earth? Did I die and go to hell?

There's a study out there that claims 25% of Americans still believe in geocentrism.

No idea how valid it is, though.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    i'm pretty sure there's about 25% of our US of A that is really just straight fucking crazy.

not like "oh she's a little loopy about somethings but she does her job well enough." more like "sweet fucking hell we don't have enough meds for this shit."

Label on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Why do I expect better from a country that has an alarmingly large portion of its government demonizing science and education as attacks on their precious Christian values.

Shadowen wrote: »
    If anyone recalls Expelled, that Ben Stein "documentary" where he proves himself to be completely insane, he got a lot of good people for that one, and then he just edited the shit out of what they said to put pro-evolution statements in the worst light.

I feel like that is probably illegal.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    lol

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »

I feel like that is probably illegal.

Not is you sign the contract it aint.

X22wmuF.jpg