As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ambition, self-improvement, DREAMS

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Usagi wrote: »
    I'm going to do crane pose if it kills me and/or breaks my nose from falling on my face repeatedly

if do right

no can defense

#pipe on
  • But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I was lying, I do have goals but there's so many things I want to do that I end up not doing more than starting them. Wanna go to school for something rad like physics, wanna learn to play multiple instruments, want to learn to sing and dance, want to be able to draw and write, I want to learn several languages, I want to learn about languages, I want to learn to blacksmith and knit and crochet and carve wood, I want to learn how to garden, how to work on a car, how to live in the woods on my own, and there's probably a ton of other shit too that I can't think of or feel like writing down.

tl;dr, there's so many things I wanna do but not enough time

Goal #1: Immortality

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I wanna bone some ladies, get outta debt, have a coat made of a bear

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That too. I'm already on my way by replacing parts of my body with superior artificial ones.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    jess why are you doing crane pose, are you being bullied at school?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I was lying, I do have goals but there's so many things I want to do that I end up not doing more than starting them. Wanna go to school for something rad like physics, wanna learn to play multiple instruments, want to learn to sing and dance, want to be able to draw and write, I want to learn several languages, I want to learn about languages, I want to learn to blacksmith and knit and crochet and carve wood, I want to learn how to garden, how to work on a car, how to live in the woods on my own, and there's probably a ton of other shit too that I can't think of or feel like writing down.

Start small! Do a free language thing like https://www.duolingo.com - make it a habit to do a little lesson while you have your breakfast and morning coffee. Make it part of your routine.

Then, somewhere down the line, set aside like an hour a night aside for hobbies. Not so big a chunk that it's unsustainable, but just a bit of time every night where you work on learning your new stuff. Maybe Mondays and Wednesdays you practice your guitar, Tuesdays and Thursdays you draw. Right before bed, take twenty minutes and write about whatever you did that day. Boom, you're practicing your writing and your building reminders about how good this new shit feels, how you're progressing.

The daily journaling thing has, in my own self-improvement shit, been enormously helpful.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    At the moment, I'd sort of like to be paid exorbitant amounts of money to draw ladies in silly and vaguely cyberpunky outfits.

I might try that. I've already been using Duolingo some, it's pretty neat! I also need to start working out again, and to play less videogames. When I do play games I should focus on either only paying something with friends, or finishing something in my backlog. Oi, so much shit to do.

JtgVX0H.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    At the moment, I'd sort of like to be paid exorbitant amounts of money to draw ladies in silly and vaguely cyberpunky outfits.

I can't think of a single reason that isn't happening already except for you being silly and insecure.

get out there and punk 'em

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i want to get motivated to really throw myself into my music apprenticeship and get actually good instead of 'yeah i practice an hour or two every day i guess' good

but motivation, HAH

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Learning to crochet and knit and carve are all things you can learn from watching tutorials on youtube.

If you have a little money and a little time, going to 1 or 2 night classes a week at a community college or something to learn math or something that's a stepping stone to higher science is seriously a great use of a few hours a week. And there's also books. Read books! Don't have time to read? Audiobooks!

When learning Musical instruments, it's super important to just start with one. It's way way easier to transition from guitar to mandolin or from Clarinet to french horn than from nothing to everything. If you want to learn a bunch of instruments, focus on just one for a year. If you can afford it, get some private lessons - you'll usually find they offer them out of a local musical instrument store or, if you're in a big city with a music college, or an art college with a music program, there will be students who are learning to be music teachers who will give you extremely cheap or even free lessons for practice. Buy a used instrument on craigslist. If you're a beginner, don't buy something new and high tech.

If you want to sing, look up vocal warmups/exercises on youtube and practice them while you're driving, in the shower, at the gym, at your desk. Do them every time you think about them. You will be learning the skills and also improving the range and tone of your voice.

Saying there's so many things you want to do so you don't have time for them is dumb. Nobody can learn everything all at the same time unless you're Good Will Hunting. Picking just one thing out of that list and focusing on it until you see progressis infinitely more satisfying that giving up on everything. Pick one thing out of your list. The easiest one, the cheapest. Focus on it.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I can't think of a single reason that isn't happening already except for you being silly and insecure.

At the moment, I'd sort of like to draw ladies in silly and vaguely cyberpunky outfits, have a seamstress create them, and then force Tynic to wear them while she tries to pick up gentlemen in her fancy Cornwall pubs.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

Then choose which of those you care the most about and get going

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular

At the moment, I'd sort of like to draw ladies in silly and vaguely cyberpunky outfits, have a seamstress create them, and then force Tynic to wear them while she tries to pick up gentlemen in her fancy Cornwall pubs.

As in physically lifting them right?

zkHcp.jpg

hahaha "force"

you'd have to physically stop me.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Right now I have a lot of plans and things I am going to do. This summer I plan on learning to cook good, and using that to cut or bulk, probably cut because summmmmerrr

I'm going to get back in that duo lingo groove and also ace my financial accounting class. I'm also going to adopt an earlier sleep schedule and get a tan. Also Im going to get back into origami to get my manual dexterity up.

This summer I'm going to try out a new style of studying with my classes, where I take notes via laptop and then review right when I get home, and when I review the notes for the next class I review the old notes as well, ideally staying on top of my entire course load. I had a less than stellar freshman semester that I would be wise to change unless I want to start getting risky and/or subpar with dental school, so I need to cut out the bullshit.

I'm gonna find a new gym back home so I can stop paying YMCA prices for a place with a single squat rack (ill miss it though)

If I cut, I need to get current with zombies run s2! I forget about it for long periods of time and then get really happy when I remember it

In silly game world, this is the summer where I am the best WAR ever and clear coil

Also recently I've started to fall into a really great group of people. I've been sort of down and unfocused lately since I've been in panic mode over studies and since my closest friends back home have kind of imploded since I've been away. I went hermit-mode for a while when I decided the best way to deal with this would be to just ignore frivolous things like other people and just buckle down and get through my current situation, but the extent to which these new people have gone to bring me along and make me "one of them" makes me grateful and happy in a way that would probably weird them out if I expressed it. Maybe I'm putting to much hope into this too early but even if it doesn't last forever they still shook me out of the funk I was and helped me start to turn things around whether they know it or not

Oh also, do research in the fall!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

As in physically lifting them right?

Is that a reference to the time Tynic actually lifted me

Or is that something she just does

Thanks for all the tips guys. You're all swell

JtgVX0H.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    i've cut most of the people i wanted to be out of my life, in more ways than one. i'm getting to a place where i can handle my debts. from there, i don't know. i might hit some friends up and make a movie

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    i think i'm done with any sort of writing with regard to the internet. if Boing Boing can run the shit andrea james said its pretty abundantly clear internet outlets are full of people that think watching the daily show and colbert is the right way to be politically informed and thus they must be rejected

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    i'm under the opinion not a single dream i have will come true

oh well~

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Every day I'm working towards my goal. Some days are much harder than others and sometimes I wonder if it's all just a waste of time.

But then I stop and think forward to what it is I intend to achieve and hope fills my heart again.

Hope that one day, be it a year or fifty years

I will discover the secret of Wu-Tang.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I find myself turning more and more hollow each day

Sigh~~~~

Peas on
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    someday, I would like to be a real boy...

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm learning guitar but I have stubby fatty fingers and I suck at everything.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I want to be able to do awesome feats of athletic ability and strength. To that end I've been eating healthy and hitting the gym on the regular, I've dropped a lot of weight and put on a lot of muscle. I'm planning on signing up for one of those places that has foam pits and trampolines and padded walls and stuff when I get back to the states. I want to be able to do things like no hand cartwheels, it just sounds super fun.

My other goal right now is finding a career where I can derive satisfaction, which means helping people. I have been teaching here in Japan but will be done in the summer and moving back to the states. I enjoy the kids but teaching is too much about standardized tests and assessments and shuffling students through a system for me to feel like I am actually helping people via teaching. I am not fully settled on a career path yet but if you made me pick right now it would probably go something like EMT, Paramedic, Firefighter, ideally. Getting in shape will help with that goal too.

Other than that just looking forward to being back with all my friends in the US (though I will miss my friends in Japan) and helping my best friend move back to LA and getting him the hell out of Phoenix.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I want to learn to sing

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My dream is to live and work in the African bush.

My secondary dream is to find somewhere I can buy fresh horseradish.

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I am currently sitting waiting for my turn at an open mic night (the second I have ever done) as a way to force me to improve my banjo playing enough that I could start charging people for lessons.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Started working out again and I've slowly been making a habit of drawing. Also working on keeping my courseload manageable and that's been tricky.

Over the summer I'm thinking I might start working with chainmail links as a little side thing. They're a good way to build finger and wrist muscle, and I enjoy crafting. My ultimate goal there would be to at least build a hauberk. Probably also make some jewelry and stuff. I also want to check out Ragnarok and Pennsic if I can afford it.

edited April 2014
    Also been meaning to pick up skateboarding again, because my campus is a tricky place to skate and so I've atrophied out of fear of whacking into pedestrians.

Edit: Also also, @Brovid Hasselsmof, one of my big field biology dreams is going back to the African bush. Living in Tanzania was fantastic, and if any of y'all want travel tips I'm your man.

Mortal Sky on
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Also been meaning to pick up skateboarding again, because my campus is a tricky place to skate and so I've atrophied out of fear of whacking into pedestrians.

To be fair, those pedestrians probably deserved it. I know I've thought about swerving my car into them plenty of times

JtgVX0H.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I tried to get on a skate board one time. Fell right on my ass.

I used to break the speed limit on downhill runs, back when I skated regularly. Custom Soda Factory Lambchop on Ronin trucks and everything. Then I got busy and fell out of practice. I should fix that.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Wanna learn to breakdance

while still being fat.

Settin' the bar high.

Further to my earlier post about Derby

Here's an amazing photograph of me from Saturday
    10252064_630636787019051_5530037035245130830_n.jpg

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    My goals are to:
    Lose some extra weight, get good grades this semester, find a way to be less stressed about work, and learn to cook more meals.

PSN: BillyIdle_
    sarukun wrote: »
    Wanna learn to breakdance

while still being fat.

Settin' the bar high.

If you get good at that though you'll stop being fat pretty quickly I bet

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    my computer died conveniently about the same time my tax refund came in, and I think I'm going to use this opportunity to learn how to build one

given how much I use the damn things I know embarrassingly little about them

that's my dream, to be above average knowledgeable/competent with matters pertaining to computers, cars, cooking and

what else begins with c