As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ambition, self-improvement, DREAMS

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    also I guess I want to make things out of metal

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Wanna learn to breakdance

while still being fat.

Settin' the bar high.

If you get good at that though you'll stop being fat pretty quickly I bet

Most likely.

I'll just have to eat more to compensate.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    I would totally get into some hobby blacksmithing.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh I guess a big dream would be to be able to make professional grade costumes in terms of like, vacuum forming plastic and sewing and making things out of metal and etc etc etc.

But it seems so cross disciplinary, and it would just be for fun, and I have no idea where one would even start.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I would totally get into some hobby blacksmithing.

Me too, but I'm afraid of starting to get into it and then dropping it like every other hobby I've tried. And anvils are too expensive to just buy on a whim, I need to know I'm going to stick with it.

JtgVX0H.png
    I don't even have room for a grill much less a forge.

That too, though I'll bet if I did actually get into it that my grandad would let me build a shed for the forge

JtgVX0H.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If you guys wanted to try blacksmithing without buying your own stuff you could maybe look into your local SCA group, if there is one? It would be historical blacksmithing, but, could be a way to check it out without getting your own anvil and all that jazz.

• JarsJars Registered User regular

copper, if you want a c

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    a local technical or community college will almost certainly have classes on metal work.

Even if it's not smithing, it's a start.

You can't just buy a forge and start making armour, guys.

there's a place here that teaches copper tooling, which is why it came to mind. I assume it's easy to work with since copper is a soft metal.

Bullshit, I'll just get this rod of iron really hot and beat the fuck out of it for awhile

JtgVX0H.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I'm learning guitar but I have stubby fatty fingers and I suck at everything.

Rocksmith is the answer!

My dream is to live and work in the African bush.

My secondary dream is to find somewhere I can buy fresh horseradish.

What is weird is that horseradish grew wild around the house in Cheyenne
    I was told do it not eat it a lot
    One day I deceided to try it o what a mistake that was

It's really sad to tell people the wasabi you can buy in a store is just coloured horseradish not the real thing
    It's super expensive

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I need to get back to Duolingo. I was learning German for a month or so. I should probably learn Spanish instead but German is pretty neat.

I also need to go get my sax adjusted and start playing again. It's been almost a year since I played regularly (since my senior recital and my last semester before student teaching). I even bought new music for motivation. Having a super leaky horn is excellent de-motivation though.

SirToasty on
    really my goals and dreams are different

My goals are to get out of this land of entrapment where I do not have to come back or look back, to be awesome,

And currently my goals are to clean up the book problem in my room and to get a bed by Memorial Day

My dreams are really something I am not as open about because I seem to have lost my way

Darmak wrote: »
    Bullshit, I'll just get this rod of iron really hot and beat the fuck out of it for awhile

take it easy on your dick man

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Some time in the next few years I want to make the transition to a professional portraitist. Not kidding.

ok maybe still do a few robot things to pay the bills.

Draw me like one of your French girls.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I need to get back to Duolingo. I was learning German for a month or so. I should probably learn Spanish instead but German is pretty neat.

I also need to go get my sax adjusted and start playing again. It's been almost a year since I played regularly (since my senior recital and my last semester before student teaching). I even bought new music for motivation. Having a super leaky horn is excellent de-motivation though.

I know a guy who'll adjust your sax

He'll adjust your sax real good.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Blacksmithing is one of those things I'd love to at least go to like a day seminar or something, just to experience it. Same with glass-blowing.

I'm gearing up to apply for grad school at one of Japan's most prestigious universities, which I am in no way academically qualified for, and if I got in I'd be leaving a fairly cushy and pretty awesome job in video games I've had the better part of a decade.

The program is in "media design" and like half the professors are neck-deep into robotics and VR and haptic feedback and all kinds of high-tech shit that is UNBELIEVABLY intimidating, but then the other half are about social networking and finding ways to do good in the local community while also connecting those communities globally, and in a way that's even MORE intimidating.

And it's the most excited and energetic I've been in a long time! I don't really have the education background to compete, but I've had some experience doing things like this and the program seems tailor-made to the kinds of projects and community involvement I've always enjoyed. I've had pretty good luck in terms of school and job applications so far in life, so we'll see if the streak still holds!

Jars wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

take it easy on your dick man

It may not be the beating it needs, but it's sure the one it deserves

JtgVX0H.png
    Brainleech wrote: »

Rocksmith is the answer!
    I need a better electric.

Rocksmith is the answer!

What do you have?

Rocksmith is the answer!

What do you have?

It is the cheapest strat clone.

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular

what, like human furniture? I think she's into that.

I played a pretty good set! I got flustered because my second-to-last song had too wide a vocal range, but other than that, everyone seemed into it.

Rocksmith is the answer!

What do you have?

It is the cheapest strat clone.

a bullet?
    or a knock off?

I really would go around town and try ut guitars to see what you like

It is a very bad knock off.

I'm looking at this Ibanez someone is offloading on Craigslist.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    My 6 month review is this week. It is my dream that my boss tells me I am getting transferred to a better position within the company because i know too much.

I know far too much, those deep dark secrets.
    scary computer secrets

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    That said, i really want to summit Mt Rainier.

Barcardi on
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I would like to get a new job since being a waiter for 7 years, though financially nice, is really stupid. But that is terrifying.

Then I guess my biggest ambition and dream is to get ambitions and dreams because currently I am a blank slate.

I would also like to know what is really going on with this girl I've been talking to but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to ask about that next time we see each other so, not sure that counts.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
    Huh, weird that I brought up blacksmithing today in this thread because apparently my wife remembered that I mentioned it awhile back and I found this book waiting for me on my desk when I got home just a few minutes ago. She really is da bes for supporting whatever new thing catches my fancy. She said she also looked at buying me an anvil but she only found cheap ones and didn't know if they were any good or not. If I wasn't already married to her, I'd make sure to do it soon. <3

JtgVX0H.png
    Also, even though it's nearly 4 in the morning she's making me breakfast tacos because I just got home from work and oh my god

JtgVX0H.png
    Well I've officially fiddled with this guitar as much as I can but finally looked at it closer and woops didn't notice that the nut is fucking garbage.

The strings touch the first fret pretty much regardless of what else I do.

I suppose I could get a nut from somewhere and find a way to shape it...

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Well I've officially fiddled with this guitar as much as I can but finally looked at it closer and woops didn't notice that the nut is fucking garbage.

The strings touch the first fret pretty much regardless of what else I do.

I suppose I could get a nut from somewhere and find a way to shape it...

I know a guy who'll shape your nut

He'll shape it real good

Hmm.

Tell me more.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Edit: Also also, Brovid Hasselsmof, one of my big field biology dreams is going back to the African bush. Living in Tanzania was fantastic, and if any of y'all want travel tips I'm your man.

What did you do in Tanzania? How long were you there?

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    For New Years I made a list of self improvement things I'm going to do this year, and every time I go, I'm borreedd I look at my list and think, what can I do to work on these things right now

So far

I've started running/going to the gym and am seeing a personal trainer tonight
    I've gone to the orthodontist/dentist loads

Still working on the rest : I

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I went back to college last year to begin the long unhappy process of trying to get into the film and television industry. The plan was to dedicate the last few months to looking for employment in that area but I was deemed to be uneligable for welfare because I had a part time job that could turn into a full time job if I wanted. So strapped for cash I went back to work.

There's a good side to this, I have money. I can buy my own gear, this alone has lead to a few opportunities. But goddamn I'm tired. I try to work on what I want to do every evening after work and save my holiday days to do filming projects, so... yeah I dunno. I'm sleepy basically.

Kochikens wrote: »
    For New Years I made a list of self improvement things I'm going to do this year, and every time I go, I'm borreedd I look at my list and think, what can I do to work on these things right now

So far

I've started running/going to the gym and am seeing a personal trainer tonight
    I've gone to the orthodontist/dentist loads

Still working on the rest : I

Shit, going to the dentist and orthodontist is another thing I need to do.

JtgVX0H.png
    edited April 2014
    I uh. I guess this doom boardgame might be worth just a bit of money since it is out of print.

I have the expansion no one bought too.

Might also unload twilight imperium at a loss since I've yet to pay it (my friends don't even like boardgames...) and this good condition axis and allies as well.

How do I use eBay?

Tallahasseeriel on