As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ambition, self-improvement, DREAMS

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    For New Years I made a list of self improvement things I'm going to do this year, and every time I go, I'm borreedd I look at my list and think, what can I do to work on these things right now

So far

I've started running/going to the gym and am seeing a personal trainer tonight
    I've gone to the orthodontist/dentist loads

Still working on the rest : I

Shit, going to the dentist and orthodontist is another thing I need to do.

guess who gets braces for a few years

its meeeeeeeee

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I started taking singing lessons last year, and my teacher convinced me to sign up for this concert they have where students get to perform.

So in like a month I am going to be performing with a live band in front of a bunch of strangers. I have not died from nerves yet but I expect I will once it gets closer.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    For New Years I made a list of self improvement things I'm going to do this year, and every time I go, I'm borreedd I look at my list and think, what can I do to work on these things right now

So far

its meeeeeeeee

The fucked up thing is, is that I've already had braces. I had them for like 6 fucking years and then my teeth looked awesome. I wore my retainer every day for a year like I was supposed to and then stopped. Then my teeth slowly started moving back and I didn't notice for a long time and then laziness and my usual procrastination set in and now they're back to square one. Fuck me were braces annoying.

Oh, and I didn't take care of my teeth while I had them on, so after they were taken off I got to experience the joy of having 20-something cavities filled. So, uh, take really good care of your teeth.

JtgVX0H.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    also oh yeah, taking that dentist plunge for the first time in years and then going every 6 months is such great piece of mind goddamn

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My teeth are fuuuuucked.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    I started taking singing lessons last year, and my teacher convinced me to sign up for this concert they have where students get to perform.

So in like a month I am going to be performing with a live band in front of a bunch of strangers. I have not died from nerves yet but I expect I will once it gets closer.

Buying my ticket to Stockholm now

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Guys I've figured out where we should have the next EuroPax.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Guys I've figured out where we should have the next EuroPax.

Bring money!

Fuck off and die.
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular

So far

its meeeeeeeee

The fucked up thing is, is that I've already had braces. I had them for like 6 fucking years and then my teeth looked awesome. I wore my retainer every day for a year like I was supposed to and then stopped. Then my teeth slowly started moving back and I didn't notice for a long time and then laziness and my usual procrastination set in and now they're back to square one. Fuck me were braces annoying.

Oh, and I didn't take care of my teeth while I had them on, so after they were taken off I got to experience the joy of having 20-something cavities filled. So, uh, take really good care of your teeth.

ahhh man that bites
    yeah once I get this shit done I am hoping to get a permanent retainer so that my shit never goes bad again. because fuck this noise.

I have to get pretty insane oral surgery done as well, not looking forward to it. They're pulling my baby canine tooth, cutting open my gum, attaching a chain to the adult tooth and pulling it down with a gold chain attached to the braces. Good news, it might be halfway down in a year, then I can switch to lingual braces! bad news, it might never come down. IN which case they get to remove the tooth in a fairly violent operation, then graft part of my jaw or hip into the hole!! Then I get an implant fake tooth 4 months later when the bone heals.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    A few months back someone gave me some really good advice: once you're an adult, there's no speed limit. Anything you achieve in a given time is up to how fast you want to progress.

That's why I've been using almost every spare minute to practice drawing. I can't live my life not being able to draw as well as I want to.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

So far

I made a lil list too. A nice little trick I picked up from an otherwise-terrible human being was to keep it with me. She kept hers in her wallet, mine's on the first page in my little pocket notebook. Having it close by helps keep it present in my mind, so even when I'm on the bus I can be remembering, "That's right, I wanted to get an hour of filmed content this year. I should start brainstorming some modest little scripts."

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    1. Get swole
    2. Draw every day
    3. Kick depression in the nuts

Those are my dreams. 1 & 2 are mainly for the purposes of 3, tho.

ftOqU21.png

Getting serenaded with monthy python songs in the alps wasn't enough for you?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh, Uriel's post on the last page reminded me of one of my dreams, which would be to design, make and get published a boardgame.

I have tons of ideas, but ideas are a dime a dozen. I really need to force myself to sit down and put some of these ideas through the wringer and see which ones break and which ones are worth pursuing.

That's what's drawing me back! I've had but a mere glimpse of the magic that can happen.

That's what's drawing me back! I've had but a mere glimpse of the magic that can happen.

probably useful reading:

http://thyra10.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/so-you-want-to-date-a-scandinavian/

ftOqU21.png
    Yeah right. He broke the gift I gave him. I will never forgive.

Just straight up broke it in half and threw the pieces into the woods. I am heartless.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wow, harsh.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    My main ambitions are:
    (a) continue living somewhere that isn't my parent's house and become less financially dependent on them
    (b)successfully complete undergrad

(a) has the very basic two part plan of: stay employed, seek better employment. The second part is hard for me because I'm dumb, I really need to ask for a raise at my current job but I keep rationalizing why I shouldn't so this has the sub-plan: get over my brain and map out the reasons why I should get a raise and how much so I can explain it to my boss. Then start poking around for higher paying jobs, aggressively if raise denied.

(b) is something I've had to break down into smaller more immediate goals in order to better wrap my head around it. First step is to finish the math class I'm taking now, it is the last math class I need for my associate's in Mech. Eng. and all my remaining classes will use what I'm learning in this class. From here it branches out: if I do poorly then I am going to switch majors (though I'm not focusing on that branch for now) but If I do well then I'm going to finish the associates program. Then I'm at another fork in the road that is going to be more difficult because the decision isn't a simple Pass Go Left/Fail Go Right. Depending on how I feel about how I've done I will: transfer to the state university and finish the ME program there, change majors and finish in that, find some other opportunity.

I could probably come up with more or better ambitions but these are what I'm really trying to focus on for now.

2x39jD4.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh, Uriel's post on the last page reminded me of one of my dreams, which would be to design, make and get published a boardgame.

I have tons of ideas, but ideas are a dime a dozen. I really need to force myself to sit down and put some of these ideas through the wringer and see which ones break and which ones are worth pursuing.

I was toying with some experimental rules to one in like January... :)

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Edit: Also also, Brovid Hasselsmof, one of my big field biology dreams is going back to the African bush. Living in Tanzania was fantastic, and if any of y'all want travel tips I'm your man.

What did you do in Tanzania? How long were you there?
    I spent a bit more than a year between 06 and 07 in a village just outside Dodoma. Mum decided to do some NGO work with a college in the area and dad went along with it. I ended up helping him with patching up and/or rebuilding an internet infrastructure for a couple schools in the area. Also read an insane amount of books and wandered around the scrubland just beyond the village when I ran out of books. Being a 13 year old in Africa is a funny thing like that.

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i don't actually know what i want to...do with the rest of my life

i have an adequate job, i have a place to live so those are covered

i gave up on stuff like drawing and music and writing years ago, because i was really really awful at all of it despite years of effort and putting in further work to reach the heights of "a bit below average" did not appeal

i don't know if sitting around and playing video games until i'm dead is necessarily a healthy aspiration but i'm not sure what else to shoot for anymore

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular

i gave up on stuff like drawing and music and writing years ago, because i was really really awful at all of it despite years of effort and putting in further work to reach the heights of "a bit below average" did not appeal

i don't know if sitting around and playing video games until i'm dead is necessarily a healthy aspiration but i'm not sure what else to shoot for anymore

Become a youtube personality! The world needs more of those that aren't awful people. My wife and I have been talking about wanting to start a channel for a while, we just need to investigate the software and equipment we'd need. And of course find out whether or not we're going to have internet when we move out of my father in law's house.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I want to learn to sew, learn to draw, learn Hawaiian or Mandarin or both, start designing my own knitwear, start playing my clarinet regularly again, play through some of my Steam backlog, see some of the movies and read some of the books on my list, and get an Arduino and experiment with wearable electronics.

However, whenever I have free time, all I want to do is sleep. Often I don't even have the energy to read or knit - both of which are relaxing activities for me. This may or may not be related to the SSRI I'm taking; it's hard to tell because I've been chronically sleep-deprived since high school. Currently I have Fridays off (I work 4 8's, so 32 hours a week), and I theoretically have plenty of time to do stuff - but with activities 2 nights a week (hula class and bible study group) and volunteering for a couple of hours Saturday morning, I'm exhausted. I sleep for hours during the day on Fridays. On free weeknights I either nap all evening or stay up too late browsing reddit, which is all I have energy for. Adding a third after-work activity (tabletop gaming, say) is untenable - by the second week, I'm too tired to function at work, even if I'm not losing any additional sleep.

Does anybody else struggle with something like this? Have you found ways to cope?

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Gotta learn more about how to weld and work in a metal shop. I want to be able to make my own stuff.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Become a youtube personality! The world needs more of those that aren't awful people. My wife and I have been talking about wanting to start a channel for a while, we just need to investigate the software and equipment we'd need. And of course find out whether or not we're going to have internet when we move out of my father in law's house.

It's funny - after joking around that I want to become an ultra famous youtube celebrity yesterday my son asked me to watch one of his favorite series on our new roku. We watched Minecraft cops and robbers by apparently a large group of them, and then a Let's Play of Goat Sim with Pewdeepie and between the two I felt like I wanted to punch something.

I don't understand why people get worked up over Honey Boo Boo or the Kardasians when just about every kid in america idolizes youtube celebs way more and they seem to be much worse. Constant screaming, jokes about each other being gay, and just overall as hyper as Cornholio the entire video clip.

Oh! I want to learn french too.

ftOqU21.png
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular

this is

sort of appealing

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Come visit Quebec.

Learn the working mans french!

• But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular

It's funny - after joking around that I want to become an ultra famous youtube celebrity yesterday my son asked me to watch one of his favorite series on our new roku. We watched Minecraft cops and robbers by apparently a large group of them, and then a Let's Play of Goat Sim with Pewdeepie and between the two I felt like I wanted to punch something.

I don't understand why people get worked up over Honey Boo Boo or the Kardasians when just about every kid in america idolizes youtube celebs way more and they seem to be much worse. Constant screaming, jokes about each other being gay, and just overall as hyper as Cornholio the entire video clip.

Yeah, for sure. One of the things I want to do is make Let's Play type videos that are specifically intended to be okay for kids to watch, with separate content that's like, "watch me curse at Rogue Legacy."

I also thought maybe it'd be cool to do a "watch my kids watch me play [whatever]" type thing, but the idea of putting my children on the internet also strikes me as a potentially bad idea sooo I'm waffling on that one.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

do it mayn

I was the same way, and finally got after myself to fully design and prototype one and it's been one of the most fun projects I've ever worked on

I have a buddy who also works intermittently on his own, so every so often we'll check in and arrange for joint playtesting sessions (catered by us as an incentive to our friends to devote their time to half-busted games)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

So far

its meeeeeeeee

ahhh man that bites
    yeah once I get this shit done I am hoping to get a permanent retainer so that my shit never goes bad again. because fuck this noise.

I have to get pretty insane oral surgery done as well, not looking forward to it. They're pulling my baby canine tooth, cutting open my gum, attaching a chain to the adult tooth and pulling it down with a gold chain attached to the braces. Good news, it might be halfway down in a year, then I can switch to lingual braces! bad news, it might never come down. IN which case they get to remove the tooth in a fairly violent operation, then graft part of my jaw or hip into the hole!! Then I get an implant fake tooth 4 months later when the bone heals.

Wow, that sounds pretty awful. I had my wisdom teeth removed a few years ago and while they were at it they cut out a permanent tooth that never came in, but that was about the extent of my maxillofacial surgery. The orthodontist wanted me to get my crooked jaw fixed to help with my under(over?)bite but fuck that. I've gone through enough painful surgeries and recoveries in the past few years that I'm not really going to do any more unless it's a life or death matter. I wish you the best of luck, Kochi!

JtgVX0H.png
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Come visit Quebec.

Learn the working mans french!

No offense but I think I'd rather go to France.

ftOqU21.png
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'd go to Lyon. I'd fucking drink Bernaise like tap water.

Fuck off and die.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I've been wanting to take singing lessons for a long time now. I'm absolute garbage in my normal range, but for some reason I can decently hold a note in falsetto (still sounds awful though) so I like to think I could at least begin to get competent without too much suffering.

I am the worst it's possible to be at singing. I'm sure I used to just be bad, but nowadays I really am something else. I can't imagine how much work it would take to make me produce a tolerable noise.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Well I've finally moved out of my parents' house, so that's one resolution I've knocked off the list.

There remains:
    Yellow belt in Krav Maga (pretty close)
    Lose 10 more lbs (I need to stop eating so much oh god)
    Get a good 1 year review and get a nice raise

I should probably try to get laid too

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    just krav maga right into someone's pants