As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 BYOC Information & FAQ

• Options
    Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    My Biggest concern:

After driving up the ramp, past the parking lot, to the Southwest 1 entrance and dropping my PC off...after doing a giant U-turn to get to the same parking lot, how will we get back to the same Southwest 1 entrance? Boston PD stopped me from having to walk up that ramp in 2012. Last year, the Southwest 1 entrance was denied as a PC dropoff but we had the ability to walk from the parking lot to a nearby entrance on the same level, without having to go back to the main line out in front. Will this secondary entrance by the parking lot be available for entry as it was last year?

Tichinde925 on
  • Options
    BarkBark Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Will we be able to walk to the SW Lvl 1 entrance or is it vehicle access only? Was planning on taking the shuttle from hotel.

Bark on
    sl1ao1t19fl8.png
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    I was also told off for walking up that ramp last year. The only way there that I know of that doesn't involve walking up there or driving up there is to go all the way around the building, which is over a 1/2 mile walk... :(

• Options
    SchmoeSchmoe CanadaRegistered User regular
    I registered for renting/borrowing a monitor but I'm concerned that without confirmation, I don't know if I'm actually able to get one. My brother is in the same boat as well. It would be much easier for me not to bring a monitor but if I don't get one there to use, I'm pooched since I can't afford to buy one.

Did anyone else get any confirmation (I did provide my email on the form) or can someone who knows confirm that those who requested one will get a monitor?

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Schmoe wrote: »
    I registered for renting/borrowing a monitor but I'm concerned that without confirmation, I don't know if I'm actually able to get one. My brother is in the same boat as well. It would be much easier for me not to bring a monitor but if I don't get one there to use, I'm pooched since I can't afford to buy one.

Did anyone else get any confirmation (I did provide my email on the form) or can someone who knows confirm that those who requested one will get a monitor?

None of us got any e-mail confirmation but @taumeson‌ posted on here saying that our reservation went through. I imagine that if there weren't any monitors left, he would have closed the sign-up form and posted here about it.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Same boat, Ill end up bringing one just in case without getting full confirmation. Most likely they have a good bit so we'll wait to see.

• Options
    FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    Yeah I really wish there was some confirmation because I don't want to bring my monitor if I don't have to. Bringing it just in case is all well and good until I have to carry the damn thing back to my hotel because I can't set it up. Looking forward to gaming with you all soon!

• Options
    mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular
    I signed up on april 4th and was told on here my reservation was successful and there was plenty left still.

• Options
    FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    mijit88 wrote: »
    I signed up on april 4th and was told on here my reservation was successful and there was plenty left still.

Yeah I just trawled through the thread and found that announcement as well. Not packing my monitor then. More bag space for swag!

• Options
    hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    I was also told off for walking up that ramp last year. The only way there that I know of that doesn't involve walking up there or driving up there is to go all the way around the building, which is over a 1/2 mile walk... :(
    Here's what I did last year:
    1. Unload car at Southwest 1
    2. Drive around the building again to park
    3. Take the parking shuttle from the lot to the main entrance
    4. Enter through the main entrance
    5. Walk over to Southwest 1 instead of to the queue room

8hiRK4y.png
  • Options
    kyptankyptan Registered User new member
    Is anyone interested in a game of Neptune's Pride? We could try and time it to last the duration of PAX, and pause it at night. It would be great if we could get a bunch of people together to play :)

• Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Anyone interested in a minesweeper tournament. I'm really mediocre. I want to have some good times? It will be a laugh.

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    hendusoone wrote: »

My lazy butt approves of this idea. :)

• Options
    Greylock3491Greylock3491 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

Thanks for your post - I was hoping we could do that versus go into the hotel and up to the sky bridge just to get over to the BCEC.

Now a question - The last few years I've been parking across the street for (I think) $20, and making the 5 minute walk over... Just wondering if you've actually been able to park in the BCEC parking lot, and if so do you remember how much it is?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Greylock3491 on
  • Options
    d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    Got a friend to go to pax with me and do BYOC, He was slightly concerned about theft and was wondering whats happened in the past.

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    This will be my third year of BYOC. I cannot think of any cases of stolen equipment. You are given two security stickers tied to your name that go on your computer and monitor (I was able to get a third in 2012 but I don't think you can anymore). There is always people guarding the entrances/exits. I've left new peripherals on my chair and they've been fine.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    It's Happening!!! Tomorrow is Day 1 of PAX! People of BYOC, if anyone has a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium I need a disk to reformat a laptop for a friend. I have the CD key and everything so its all legal, but she lost the disk and I don't wanna torrent an ISO and burn a copy cause I am lazy. Please let me know and I will bring it, if not no worries and ill do it sometime later. Thanks!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Got my copy out with a friend in the same predicament or I'd bring it.

I just went to check the BenQ monitor and now when you click the link it says its not taking anymore. It went through when I did it a few days ago, I'm hoping that means it went through. @taumeson‌ can you ease our troubled minds? I'm leaving in 7 hours and gonna be eyeballing my monitor the whole time :neutral_face: . I just want to know if it should be jealous or not if its being replaced my a better model for the weekend :wink:

Just got the Baron in the vehicle. Had to de-limb him in a few spots to get it to fit. I'll reattach them once in the BYOC, but until then he's hurting
    4oTYG46.jpg

thorkon on
  • Options
    TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    So what door should I be heading to with my laptop bag and BYOC. I don't need ramps, etc. Just a door.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Sorry MrFett, I only have a 7 Pro disk. I know I have a Home Premium disk around here somewhere but it was on a blank disk I didnt mark... bleh.

In other news thanks to my awesome parents I got the step up PSU from what I had and it's installed in my computer in time for PAX. When I RMA the old one they'll be using it for a future computer build.

Im hoping I find a good group of people to sit next to this year. Getting packed and driving from CT to MA shortly!

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

• Options
    DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    All.

Please note that the BCEC has a strict policy on weapons this year. Please do not bring any of the following with you into the center or it will be confiscated:

Knives
    Leathermen or other multi-tools
    Weapons (duh)
    Cutters of any kind.

We have a few basic tools in BYOC we can lend out so the rule is "if in doubt, leave it out"

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    Hey guys! If you signed up for a BenQ monitor before the form was taken down we have it ready for you. We didn't have confirmations go out and we've had multiple questions about it, so we'll see what we can do if this kind of thing comes up again next year.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    @thorkon‌ @MrFett21‌ You guys should be all set!

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    AND -- the info from @Dreggor‌'s last post has now been added to the main post. Keep your sharp stuff at home!

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    Even Scissors? Aww. I understand but damn.

8elUgf9.png

• Options
    Thanks! I left with hopes it would go through (I wouldn't of been able to fit the monitor). Are the power cable/hdmi or dvi provided? I totally forgot to nab one in case it wasn't provided.

• Options
    Now a question - The last few years I've been parking across the street for (I think) $20, and making the 5 minute walk over... Just wondering if you've actually been able to park in the BCEC parking lot, and if so do you remember how much it is?

Every time I've tried parking in the BCEC rear lot, I've been able to park there. I've always arrived around 8 am on Friday, and around 9 am on Saturdays/Sundays.

It's $12 for parking in that lot. The parking shuttle is free. If you leave, they will charge you again when you come back in. There is no overnight parking.

8hiRK4y.png
  • Options
    So what door should I be heading to with my laptop bag and BYOC. I don't need ramps, etc. Just a door.
    Front entrance, or maybe through the hotel then the skybridge if they're letting BYOC people do that.

8hiRK4y.png
  • Options
    Greylock3491Greylock3491 Registered User regular

Every time I've tried parking in the BCEC rear lot, I've been able to park there. I've always arrived around 8 am on Friday, and around 9 am on Saturdays/Sundays.

It's $12 for parking in that lot. The parking shuttle is free. If you leave, they will charge you again when you come back in. There is no overnight parking.

Awesome - thanks a million hendusoone!

Only 11 more hours :-)

• Options
    Last minute oh crap moment. I was just making sure I had everything for tomorrow and realized I only have my short Cat5 cable.. does anyone have a longer spare they could bring in case I am too far away from the switch? Figures I forget to go find a longer one prior to PAX.. sigh

• Options
    sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    Last minute oh crap moment. I was just making sure I had everything for tomorrow and realized I only have my short Cat5 cable.. does anyone have a longer spare they could bring in case I am too far away from the switch? Figures I forget to go find a longer one prior to PAX.. sigh
    I bet plenty of people will bring extra cables, but I'll be sure to be one of them. I'll probably be wearing my Portal T-shirt tomorrow, feel free to ask.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @thorkon -- yup! DVI, bring your own HDMI. @MrFett21‌ -- you can get some cable at the venue for $5, I believe. Stop by the BYOC help desk.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    sigma8 wrote: »
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    I bet plenty of people will bring extra cables, but I'll be sure to be one of them. I'll probably be wearing my Portal T-shirt tomorrow, feel free to ask.

I will be the one with the 8bit mario tattoo and boba fett tattoo on my arms, plus thats me in my picture on the forum.. I appreciate it man. Also @thorkon thank you for that, I am no longer worried. And if you guys need help with any network issues that may arise let me know, my day job is a network engineer :-D

• Options
    @Byoc_east is pax Twitter just a refresh for everyone

• Options
    Anyone who needs spare cables, I brought just about two or three of everything. I even have modular cables

8elUgf9.png

• Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I am Here, D1
    Anyone who needs spare cables, I brought just about two or three of everything. I even have modular cables

any chance you have a USB extender cable?

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Kilonum wrote: »
    I am Here, D1

darn, one of the things i dont have.

I also do not have an extra Ethernet.

Im at J4. If anyone wants to try out the Oculus Rift I should be bringing it out at some point tonight.

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    So there are a bunch of non-BYOC who keep coming in through the curtain at the back of the room.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Kilonum wrote: »
    I am Here, D1

darn, one of the things i dont have.

I also do not have an extra Ethernet.

Im at J4. If anyone wants to try out the Oculus Rift I should be bringing it out at some point tonight.

Somebody else lent me one.

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Great time at pax byoc enforcers were great!