As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So apparently The Winter Soldier is a pretty COOL [Superhero Movie]

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    AoS
    Aw man, I liked Hand
    I doubt they killed her off, she's a high enough SHIELD agent and recurring comic character to be killed off so soon. I mean, she'll prolly die eventually, but not this early.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    AoS spoilers.
    On the one hand, I want to think that Ward is going deep cover with Hydra, since Coulson's not an idiot, and wouldn't have sent Ward with Garrett if there was the possibility of Garrett recruiting him to Hydra.

On the other hand, unless there's some of that magic healing goop on Hand's plane, I'm pretty sure Ward just shot her and her team dead, which doesn't bode well.

I'm kind of annoyed, actually.
    It felt a bit like having a twist for the sake of having a twist.

Also I'm actually kind of wishing it were Joss who were the showrunner as opposed to his brother, that way I would be able to snark about needing a serious talk about how he "shockingly" kills lesbians with sudden gunfire. Though I guess her orientation hadn't been revealed on the show yet.

I guess it wasn't made explicit yet but
    come on, look at the way she wears that pantsuit

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    So I'm catching up on Shield because I really haven't watched any non-late-night TV whatsoever since the pilot, and TWS got me back on board.

For as much hate as the early episodes got, I'm enjoying them just fine.

Also oh my Miss Wen who says you can't look fabulous at 50?

The quality of the show's definitely improved, which is super great

Of course the irony of it is that since I haven't seen TWS, I can't watch the first episode live in forever now that I've caught up

This shared universe thing has its occasional downside

Conversely I saw Winter Soldier tonight and came home to AoS on my DvR....it is delicious.

A thousand curses upon you!

(I have it DVR'd and waiting, and hopefully should be seeing Winter Soldier this week)

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    AoS spoilers.
    On the one hand, I want to think that Ward is going deep cover with Hydra, since Coulson's not an idiot, and wouldn't have sent Ward with Garrett if there was the possibility of Garrett recruiting him to Hydra.

On the other hand, unless there's some of that magic healing goop on Hand's plane, I'm pretty sure Ward just shot her and her team dead, which doesn't bode well.
    I am betting everything they did is easy enough to fake given the technology running around....also hand seems to me to be a big enough character that I wonder about bumping her off already. I just don't see them offing actual Marvel properties so easily.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    AoS spoilers.

Also I'm actually kind of wishing it were Joss who were the showrunner as opposed to his brother, that way I would be able to snark about needing a serious talk about how he "shockingly" kills lesbians with sudden gunfire. Though I guess her orientation hadn't been revealed on the show yet.

Re: orientation ....I thought she was omnisexual...like aliens, men, mutants, women whatever. I mean wasn't she the one dating Beast etc? Part alien and all that jazz?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    AoS spoilers.

Re: orientation ....I thought she was omnisexual...like aliens, men, mutants, women whatever. I mean wasn't she the one dating Beast etc? Part alien and all that jazz?

You're thinking of Brand

http://marvel.wikia.com/Abigail_Brand_(Earth-616)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    So I'm catching up on Shield because I really haven't watched any non-late-night TV whatsoever since the pilot, and TWS got me back on board.

For as much hate as the early episodes got, I'm enjoying them just fine.

Also oh my Miss Wen who says you can't look fabulous at 50?

The quality of the show's definitely improved, which is super great

Of course the irony of it is that since I haven't seen TWS, I can't watch the first episode live in forever now that I've caught up

This shared universe thing has its occasional downside

Conversely I saw Winter Soldier tonight and came home to AoS on my DvR....it is delicious.

A thousand curses upon you!

(I have it DVR'd and waiting, and hopefully should be seeing Winter Soldier this week)

Sorry dude...

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Going through Bendis' Daredevil still

If they don't do a done-in-one Decalogue episode in the Netflix series then they will have fucked up

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    AoS spoilers.

Not that I recall. I thought she was just, as it were, straight lesbian. You're thinking of Abigail Brand.

Also, if she turns out to be
    still alive, I actually won't be surprised.

I mean, at the end of the last episode, she came off as evil, so...

Shadowen on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Oh NOW everyone wants to watch AoS. /sarcasm

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    AoS spoilers.

You're thinking of Brand

http://marvel.wikia.com/Abigail_Brand_(Earth-616)

Ahhhh that's right, similar name, secret agent, funky hair color, attitude....to easy to confuse.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    AoS spoilers
    why would you not take the opportunity to have Ward say Hail Hydra
    I suppose it is possible that it's a play within a play and Ward is going deep cover into Hydra. He and Coulson shared a look as he was leaving with Garrett. But that may be reaching.
    thats not reaching that's how shows like this work.
    It's possible but... to kill Hand? It didn't sound like an Icer, but maybe it was? Although Hand was keen on setting up that situation which wouldn't have happened if Ward wasn't there.... hard to say.
    icers don't cause people to bleed out

Hand was definitely bleeding in the stinger

I'm on board with it being a con

though, really, I think I'd like Ward to just go be a bad guy

just... not at the expense of Hand's life, y'know. She's been really cool and I want to see more of her.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    AoS
    I definitely want Ward to be a straight up villain, all the way
    Finally something to make him interesting

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    AoS
    ward pls

no ward no

GOD DAMMIT

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The preview seems to make it clear that (Cap 2 and latest AoS spoilers)
    Ward was brainwashed to join Hydra. He's not "Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier has haunted eyes rimmed with guyliner after catching the shield", but he does not look pleased with his life choices in that ending shot.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    SHIELD/TWS
    When he first shot her in the stomach I figured they could easily say she survived that, and then BLAM BLAM BLAM... well, they could still pull something I suppose.

Also I was kinda hoping the Clairvoyant would be a whole separate thing from Hydra, but this ep and Winter Soldier went together so perfectly that I don't really mind.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Bleeding Cool got ahold of DC's Future's End FCBD issue and hahahahahaha
    35 years in the future pretty much all of the major heroes are evil brainwashed cyborg-zombies, including Superman and Wonder Woman.

Flash, Captain Cold, Batman, Batman Beyond, Amethyst, Grifter and John Stewart are the resistance. Everyone but Terry is killed by the end of the issue.

Frankenstein is one of Brother Eye's commanders and has SURGICALLY GRAFTED BLACK CANARY"S HEAD TO HIS TORSO SO HE CAN USE HER SCREAM

Terry is sent to the past, but misses by 5 years, his mission? To kill someone and prevent the timeline from occuring.

You know, I can't help feeling like I've heard the basic outline of this event before...
    ZgpTs5D.jpg

Not to mention that giant Alan Moore pitch that he did a long time ago that they rejected. It was even going to star John Constantine, who if I recall correctly, is at the heart of this new one too. Though the status of the various future versions of the heroes has changed.

• Options
    Seriously, Decalogue is the perfect one-off DD episode.

Revolves around a group of people who have been affected by Daredevil, has a super cool reveal of Matt and could easily be adapted if they don't want to use the weird Hand demon thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Overall I'm pretty fucking happy with tonight's AoS. Just sort of curious about what happens next, and how it all builds up to the finale.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    AoS
    ward pls

no ward no

GOD DAMMIT

not really a spoiler, but television period:

fakeout

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    also, is there a tv show patton oswalt won't snake himself into

like some sort of disease your show has to pass through its system

i remember watching some new justified and thinking "you know, fuck it i should catch back up"

oh. oh cool patton oswalt

yeah fuck this

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Apparently Amazing Spider-Man #1, out at the end of the month, will come with the entirety of Inhuman #1.

I mean

It's smart in terms of marketing and exposure but what the hell I literally just paid 4 bucks for that last week

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    CJ I think if you keep watching Constable Bob will surprise you

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I like Patton Oswalt.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Patton Oswalt was fucking awesome on Justified

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    especially in Decoy, which is just an amazing episode

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Time to eat tacos and watch AoS and then read all these damn spoilers.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    UK Reviews for ASM 2 are trickling in and the consensus so far seems to be it is kinda unfocused and has too many villains/too much foreshadowing

I like how that is still a complaint even though (Cap 2 spoilers)
    we got FIVE villains in Cap2 and they all worked fine.

Actually

TWS
    In traditional Comic book movie terms I'd say that this movie only really has one Villain.

Hydra.

When people say that a movie might be overburdened by to many villains it's not the characters themselves but instead the baggage that comes with them. It's expected that a Villain will have his own story and what not. The villains may work together but they have their own goals and personal tragedies. In that sense Amazing Spider-man sounds closer to Spider-man 3, each villain is an independent agent within the plot, and Cap 2 is more like X-men, which had four "villains" but really there's just Magneto.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    here's hoping cap 3 is kinda like cap 2, in that the winter soldier guns down hella people. innocent people. super people, all sorts of people

that was a really good way to nail that character. he wasn't strictly speaking a wimp in the comics but man, if you saw him in this movie like upwards of eight people were usually dying. which is great because you usually see lame ass ineffectual villain behavior. throwing soft punches or like maybe taking out two people from an onward attack about to surround them all the while a hero is coming

nope, he's just always killing folks. i miss that sort of villain ethic

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    UK Reviews for ASM 2 are trickling in and the consensus so far seems to be it is kinda unfocused and has too many villains/too much foreshadowing

I like how that is still a complaint even though (Cap 2 spoilers)
    we got FIVE villains in Cap2 and they all worked fine.

Actually

TWS
    In traditional Comic book movie terms I'd say that this movie only really has one Villain.

Hydra.

When people say that a movie might be overburdened by to many villains it's not the characters themselves but instead the baggage that comes with them. It's expected that a Villain will have his own story and what not. The villains may work together but they have their own goals and personal tragedies. In that sense Amazing Spider-man sounds closer to Spider-man 3, each villain is an independent agent within the plot, and Cap 2 is more like X-men, which had four "villains" but really there's just Magneto.
    Well, Batroc was working for Fury.

But then, he is Georges Batroc. The rules that bind lesser men, they do not apply, oui?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There is an extremely slim chance they are going to show Winter Soldier on the cruise

I hope so!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hahaha oh man, aos
    ward says he is the boring one in this episode. that is awesome.

i love it when writers just directly address criticisms of a show.

• Options
    here's hoping cap 3 is kinda like cap 2, in that the winter soldier guns down hella people. innocent people. super people, all sorts of people

that was a really good way to nail that character. he wasn't strictly speaking a wimp in the comics but man, if you saw him in this movie like upwards of eight people were usually dying. which is great because you usually see lame ass ineffectual villain behavior. throwing soft punches or like maybe taking out two people from an onward attack about to surround them all the while a hero is coming

Uhhhhh
    Winter Soldier is very much not a villain.

His actions in TWS were while brainwashed and in the comics he is a heroic motherfucker

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    also AoS
    when i heard about the spoilers I thought Hand would probably live, but man you are going to need some comic magic, stat, for her to not be totally dead. She got shot like four times, and three of those were the way you get shot in tv shows to be super dead.

it's a visual jargon that if a bad guy shoots someone on the ground several times, they are dead. those are kill shots.

Langly on
  • Options

Uhhhhh
    Winter Soldier is very much not a villain.

His actions in TWS were while brainwashed and in the comics he is a heroic motherfucker

He is, however, an antagonist.
    and I think it's fair to say that while brainwashed he is a villain.

• Options
    Antagonist, yeah, but
    in the sense CJ meant, as in Bucky murdering the hell out of people en masse in Cap 3, he is definitely not.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    You guys are doing that talking around spoilers thing again.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    No she's saying that she hopes the next movie employs a similar philosophy in its villain, whoever that is.

Langly on
  • Options
    Oh, I was reading it wrong then, my bad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Oh NOW everyone wants to watch AoS. /sarcasm

I'm actually jumping ship to the new cool kids camp and have stopped watching.
    At least until I see The Winter Soldier

This discussion has been closed.