As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ambition, self-improvement, DREAMS

1235»

• NijaNija Registered User regular
    I want to become a Certified Forensic Examiner. ISFCE or EnCE.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Oh speaking of self improvement

I'm expecting payment for some freelance work I did in the next week. I'm going to use that money to buy a bicycle with the intention of riding it to work.

It's a reasonably easy 10.5km ride each way and if it's raining or I'm not feeling it, I can just get on a bus.

I'm planning on working up to the full ride by bussing an ever decreasing amount of the trip.

I'm excited!

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I applied for the visual arts program at the local college
    i still don't know if i will do it because i think it includes courses on photography and ... performance art, neither of which i want to touch
    also i dont know if i can even handle full-time school with my brain
    but there's almost no chance i could ever go with my other goal, entomology, since i would have to go through a lot of physics and chemistry and math all of which have broken me in the past

but today i got the gears moving to get a new psych and got the blood tests i've been putting off for months and im hoping i can start actually taking better care of myself as far as brain/diabetes go and that's probably the most important goal i can focus on right now, really. no point sinking 100% of my life into school and work if i'm going to destroy my body and go blind and die of ____ failure

RubberAC on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So a new boardgame just got announced:

Planes will be a game of running to catch your plane. Players will control a group of people attempting to "push their way through a congested airport", and you'll use your own family to passive-aggressively block other passengers.

Fuck me, I need to really get on making my own boardgame already.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    My dreams are complicated right now. I kinda kick ass at my job but management isn't what I want for a real career. I want to go into film(directing or editing or w/e) but I don't have any experience or equipment so my plan is to move out to Vancouver and start film classes until my natural excellence turns into pure success.

But I need about 5K in the bank to make that move happen and my girlfriend wants me to propose and if I DO propose it's going to be both flashy and classy because that's who I am, and her friends are trying to pressure her to get a car which is just another bill that will slow everything down, so I'm in the awkward position of not wanting to put my dreams on hold but maybe needing to. Bah!

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I want to be a school teacher, preferably elementary. I'm just scared of the zero-tolerance policies, and the testing vs teaching culture. I want to help children learn about the world with the same enthusiasm that I had when I was their age. I don't want to have to send some poor kid to the principles office for pointing at someone in a gesture that could be misconstrued as a gun, or have to constantly test them.

If I'm going all the way here in dream land, I'd LOVE to work in a Montessori school and they do exist locally but I think I'll focus on becoming a regular public school teacher first.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    nuka wrote: »
    I want to be a school teacher, preferably elementary. I'm just scared of the zero-tolerance policies, and the testing vs teaching culture. I want to help children learn about the world with the same enthusiasm that I had when I was their age. I don't want to have to send some poor kid to the principles office for pointing at someone in a gesture that could be misconstrued as a gun, or have to constantly test them.

If I'm going all the way here in dream land, I'd LOVE to work in a Montessori school and they do exist locally but I think I'll focus on becoming a regular public school teacher first.

This is basically where I am in regards to teaching. I thought I wanted to be a teacher, thinking back to the awesome teachers I had in elementary at private schools. But, to test the waters, before I went and got a masters in education or whatever, I decided to teach English abroad which is how I ended up with my current job of teaching English at the JHS level in Japan, which I am in my second year of.

And it is all teaching to the test, all discipline, all making sure they memorize things just long enough for the test and then who cares if they forget it later and never use it again, because they have to pass those entrance exams for high school or their future is fucked, and it has just totally destroyed any interest I had in being a teacher. I know those good teaching positions exist, I know that there are teachers out there that still make a huge, meaningful impact in the lives of young people like my teachers did for me (honestly I can point so much of the person I am today directly to my sixth grade teacher). I just have no idea if I would be able to get those positions and I know that I personally can't handle being in a teaching position where I feel like I am doing more harm than good and just shuffling kids through a broken system.

Sorry, I hope this doesn't come off as pooping on your dream. That's not my intent, just kind of venting and thinking. I am sure you can get into the type of teaching position that you want to be in, so don't give up on your dream, pursue it as hard as you can.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I would honestly just like to find a few more friends that I don't have to worry about dropping off the face of the earth. Getting real sick of finding new friends every few months or so because my old ones have flaked out on me.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've been teaching for five years now and I am...

Let's just say burnt out.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    for a while i wanted to be a teacher but i wanted to be a teacher HERE
    and i got to watch all the teachers i became friends with in school and kept up with lose their jobs and end up having to find new jobs or move to all corners of the globe and get shit on constantly and man i cant deal with that
    my school district was and still is in such a hilarious amount of debt, straight up incompetence

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    write write write write write

write you stupid fuck Nogs

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    Writing down dreams/goals is a good idea, so here's my list:

Super short term (1 week)
    - yell at Canada Immigration for giving me a visa extension with the wrong name and passport number, and get it fixed
    - get over this damned cold
    - get the scratch dialogue we recorded for A Wrinkle In Crime into the game

Short term (rest of the year)
    - move my family to Australia (this will take up most of my time)
    - get A Wrinkle In Crime to a point where we can think about Kickstarter for funding to finish it
    - get better at drums

Medium term (next 5 years)
    - raise an awesome son
    - finish A Wrinkle In Crime and get it up for sale (hopefully in the first year or two)
    - learn to be a bit handier around the house so we can get our new place fixed up the way we want it
    - get awesome at drums and find a band to play with
    - probably have a second kid

I have a ton of long term goals like writing a book, learning to draw, etc, except that I know if I want to be able to do those in 10 years I need to start NOW, but then all of my short to medium term goals get in the way, not to mention my day job. I wish I could learn to not require sleep so I had more time and energy.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Go for it. My girlfriend is a first year teaching 3rd grade. 3rd grade is the worst with regard to testing by far. I am looking for a music teacher position. We both love it and wouldn't do anything else but it's a bitch. Especially when the state legislature where you live (NC here) is essentially doing everything in it's power to convince teachers to quit or leave the state. I'm in the highest paying county but it's still very low pay. What state are you in?

edited April 2014
    SirToasty wrote: »

Go for it. My girlfriend is a first year teaching 3rd grade. 3rd grade is the worst with regard to testing by far. I am looking for a music teacher position. We both love it and wouldn't do anything else but it's a bitch. Especially when the state legislature where you live (NC here) is essentially doing everything in it's power to convince teachers to quit or leave the state. I'm in the highest paying county but it's still very low pay. What state are you in?
    Washington. My elementary school was run by incompetent morons who had me wait for hours for medical attention at one point, and there isn't a single teacher I had whom I can point to with pride and say that they shaped me who I am today. I just really fucking love learning you know? At least I'm lucky enough to live in such a liberal state but we're still not perfect. My mother would tell me that the suburbs here in the 90s had that stupid soccer mom mentality, and though I don't expect that to be different anywhere else it's intimidating.

Last I checked we have the WASL and we are required to take it in the 4th, 7th and 11th grades I think and at one point you had to pass them to graduate. This was after I graduated and considering I did poorly in school thank god I didn't have to deal with that shit. I remember that during those grades half the time was spent on preparation for the test until we took them in the spring.

Teaching looks like a rewarding job, I just wish politicians didn't hate teachers so damn much.

EDIT: No one's posts here have discouraged me, and I'll probably still go through it and become a teacher regardless of whatever obstacles there are to actually doing the job properly.

nuka on
  • But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular

Washington. My elementary school was run by incompetent morons who had me wait for hours for medical attention at one point, and there isn't a single teacher I had whom I can point to with pride and say that they shaped me who I am today. I just really fucking love learning you know? At least I'm lucky enough to live in such a liberal state but we're still not perfect. My mother would tell me that the suburbs here in the 90s had that stupid soccer mom mentality, and though I don't expect that to be different anywhere else it's intimidating.

Last I checked we have the WASL and we are required to take it in the 4th, 7th and 11th grades I think and at one point you had to pass them to graduate. This was after I graduated and considering I did poorly in school thank god I didn't have to deal with that shit. I remember that during those grades half the time was spent on preparation for the test until we took them in the spring.

Teaching looks like a rewarding job, I just wish politicians didn't hate teachers so damn much.

EDIT: No one's posts here have discouraged me, and I'll probably still go through it and become a teacher regardless of whatever obstacles there are to actually doing the job properly.

The weasel is gone now, although I don't know much about what we replaced it with.

Fuck the weasel though, god damn.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The last couple years at work we've been doing virtual world jobs in OpenSim (an opensource, run-on-your-own-server version of Second Life). While there was always some creative design stuff going on, probably at least the first couple projects were mostly all worry about functional scripting and attempting to make things out of the basic prim building blocks.

The last few projects though I've had enough time to start exploring the outside tools and the more advanced stuff that goes on with modern 3d work. Our company's not rich so I don't get any of the fancy toys, but I've been using Blender, SketchUp, Gimp etc to make better stuff outside of OS, playing with a few tricks I don't think I've seen anyone else in OS/SL doing, and getting to know the tools well enough that I'm not spending an entire day trying to make one thing anymore. I don't have any specific goals in mind, and I'm not the kind of guy who has a lot of energy after work to come home and work on some other serious project, but I've got this vague want to keep getting better at this stuff until I can do something personally useful with it. I even bought the Substance art tools off of Steam when they were on sale the other day, even though I have no current purpose for it.

I think there's a part of me that always kind of wished I could art, but I never had the hands for it, or something. But working in software? That's something I think I can do.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I have to get pretty insane oral surgery done as well, not looking forward to it. They're pulling my baby canine tooth, cutting open my gum, attaching a chain to the adult tooth and pulling it down with a gold chain attached to the braces. Good news, it might be halfway down in a year, then I can switch to lingual braces! bad news, it might never come down. IN which case they get to remove the tooth in a fairly violent operation, then graft part of my jaw or hip into the hole!! Then I get an implant fake tooth 4 months later when the bone heals.

I had this done when I was in high school! It does, in fact, suck. You never stop feeling the tension in the chain. Totally worth it though (a missing tooth or two beats a tooth growing sideways and burrowing through the nerves of other teeth)!

My current ambition is to become successful enough of a game developer to pay my own bills and get to make cool games with cool people. Been working on a game with three other people in Unity for a little bit now!

l3icwZV.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I cut soda, chips and most sweets from my diet starting at the new year.

I now brush my teeth twice a day in addition to flossing & using mouthwash before bed.

I am working out 4 days a week trying to get to a better place.

I am hopeful I can be a better me.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    At new years I resolved to only poop myself in public when it was absolutely necessary.

I'm really terrible at sticking to my resolutions.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    RubberAC wrote: »
    i still don't know if i will do it because i think it includes courses on photography and ... performance art, neither of which i want to touch
    but there's almost no chance i could ever go with my other goal, entomology, since i would have to go through a lot of physics and chemistry and math all of which have broken me in the past

but today i got the gears moving to get a new psych and got the blood tests i've been putting off for months and im hoping i can start actually taking better care of myself as far as brain/diabetes go and that's probably the most important goal i can focus on right now, really. no point sinking 100% of my life into school and work if i'm going to destroy my body and go blind and die of ____ failure

never give up on entomology

even if getting a degree in the sciences isn't the path for you, if you love bugs keep on pursuing them on your own time

entomology is one of those things where you can become hugely knowledgable without a formal degree, especially if you're interested in the fauna of your local area

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    After coaching the Division 2 Women's volleyball team at my club for 4 years, them making it to finals all years and winning the championship the last 2 years in a row, I decided to go for something new and different and challenging - coaching men's volleyball, which I have precisely 1 session's worth of experience doing.

I met the Division 2 Men's team for the first time last night and it was awesome; all really good guys who work hard. And only one older more experienced player (who has obviously played at a high level in the past) who was trying to coach over me and was pretty condescending to me about the drills I chose. I told him that while I respect his experience, it was perfectly within his rights to go home if he didn't like how I did things; he did not go home and fell in line.

So it's pretty exciting and really intimidating but it's a good group of blokes so I'm pretty stoked to invest my time in learning how to coach them.

Some say coaching men is easier than coaching women - I reckon that's only true if you're a male coach.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    okay I lied I wasn't that nice

I got pretty pissed off and basically snapped "my drill, my rules, if you don't like it, go home"

it was a disagreement on how to feed a ball for a drill, and my intent behind the drill was to watch these boys hustle and to gauge their footwork

and this old guy was all "but you would never have a ball like that during a game"

and in my head I was all "first off - yeah you would, if someone passed into the fucking net and it snapped out; second off - that's not what this drill is about, which is about forward and backward movement; third off - NYAAAAAAAAAAAARGH SHUT UP" and somehow my mouth settled on something far more concise

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I thiiiiiiiiiiiiink that in a situation like that, establishing who the boss is can be pretty important and it sounds to me like you did it in exactly the right way, Viv. Explaining a little more in depth what you're looking for the drill helps, but only AFTER you've established dominance.

• But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »

even if getting a degree in the sciences isn't the path for you, if you love bugs keep on pursuing them on your own time

entomology is one of those things where you can become hugely knowledgable without a formal degree, especially if you're interested in the fauna of your local area

So I could be totally wrong here, but it seems like it's not really necessary to go to college for any scientific field if all you want is to be knowledgeable. Like between the internet's resources and forums to ask questions, magazines, and the fact that I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a college student to buy college textbooks, you could probably educate yourself pretty thoroughly.

Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

BugBoy wrote: »

that's kinda what i thought was a more intelligent choice
    it's definitely something i intend to keep around as a hobby and passion, i'm fine with not becoming a doctor about it and spend my entire life chasing it

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    and this old guy was all "but you would never have a ball like that during a game"

I get this exact comment from more experienced derby girls when we share practices with other teams.

Like yes I'm creating a very un-game-like situation

but it's designed specifically to isolate and focus on a particular skill, and later on in the practice, we will utilize that skill in a distinctly more game-like situation.

Like lookit this drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRRWyDwUPXk

Real derby doesn't look like that! But that is sure as shit an effective fucking edging drill.

edited April 2014
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I thiiiiiiiiiiiiink that in a situation like that, establishing who the boss is can be pretty important and it sounds to me like you did it in exactly the right way, Viv. Explaining a little more in depth what you're looking for the drill helps, but only AFTER you've established dominance.

Yeah it was my first session with them; I'm an explainer so actually refusing to explain in that situation felt weird but was probably the right thing to do. Respect is definitely a different thing all of a sudden and I feel like I have to earn it with the guys much more so than I ever did with the girls.

Once I know they're not gonna give me lip I'm happy to be more explain-y.

Vivixenne on

Not at all trying to discourage you with that post. Just a fair warning. Washington has considerably better pay than NC. And I can't imagine the legislation being more slated against teachers than the stuff that has been and is being passed in NC. It is awful and I probably wouldn't think twice about moving somewhere else.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The weather and my anxiety finally subsided enough that I finally got out and rode my bike into work this morning.

Unfortunately I didn't do enough test rides to re-adjust my seat after putting my bike away in storage and I have some bruises in very tender places.

Self-improvement is so painful.

Edit: I also forgot my shoes and my bike shoes are not comfortable for all day office wearing.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I missed yoga because of dumb overtime. Dumb overtime.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    And then I rode my bike home.

Now I want to throw up.

zkHcp.jpg

Not at all trying to discourage you with that post. Just a fair warning. Washington has considerably better pay than NC. And I can't imagine the legislation being more slated against teachers than the stuff that has been and is being passed in NC. It is awful and I probably wouldn't think twice about moving somewhere else.

Oh I didn't mean that you personally were discouraging, but that someone had commented about their negative experiences and hoped that they didn't change my mind.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I am moving to LA in two months to try and work in the films and the TV

and I need to write so many more scripts and make more contacts but goddammit I am going to move to LA

and I'm meeting a personal trainer tonight and trying to eat less and better

and I'm in the third level class of Chicago-style improv and I'm working really hard to be a better improviser and team player

so

that's what I got going on

oh also I've been cooking at home at least twice a week and I am getting pretty good at it

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Teaching takes about five years to get comfortable at it. And yeah, you do have to teach to the test, which is terrible but it's what we have now. Some interesting things are developing, like that school that straight up refused to give the tests. The support they got was sightly encouraging.

But if you find the right school, and get efficient at teaching the core concepts, you can get that out of the way and teach awesome things. Like right now my kids are playing that Fantasy Geopolitics game online now and they are going crazy about it. Like making trades during lunch and rushing to me to use the computer to do research.

I've taught 4th grade math using Battleship to teach grids, used climbing walls with magnetic letters to review reading and spelling, and built kites from scraps for SCIENCE.

It's all about efficiency.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I am moving to LA in two months to try and work in the films and the TV

and I need to write so many more scripts and make more contacts but goddammit I am going to move to LA

and I'm meeting a personal trainer tonight and trying to eat less and better

and I'm in the third level class of Chicago-style improv and I'm working really hard to be a better improviser and team player

so

that's what I got going on

oh also I've been cooking at home at least twice a week and I am getting pretty good at it

congrats (future tense) on moving to LA! i originally moved out here to do film/TV but ended up in games instead, but there's lots of opportunity here so I'm sure you'll do awesome.

there's a good number of us forumers in the greater LA/OC area so don't be shy once you get out here!

I'll be moving back to LA in 4 months myself too.

Yay LA!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I really want a better paying job. As far as expensive luxuries go, I have very inexpensive tastes, so it doesn't take much to leave me content, but if I can live at the meager standard I set while being able to save each month, I'm extremely happy.

So this thing right here?

It just happened.

• NijaNija Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I don't mean to put the cart before the horse but assuming that my other reference still likes me and that my application isn't totally falsified, I'll be teaching band and strings, plus world drumming and guitar classes, for the remainder of the school year at a magnet middle school in downtown Raleigh. First big boy job and first job period out of college. I'm pretty excited.

SirToasty on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'd like to leave and try making it on my own, but at this point I'm pretty people will always just refer to me as "the Earth's moon"

3basnids3lf9.jpg