As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sgt. Superhero Thread: The Spring Spoilers

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    jimothy everyone figured it out.

But I said it first!

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    All-New Ultimates was pretty rad, guys.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Also wait, how can you say that the writers just came up with it and also acknowledge that everything the character has done all season has been building to this?

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    you can c/p the text into a thing to make it go away

It's mostly grammar/sentence structure for me. Same with the Firefly character dialog.
    I can deal with the all caps.

newSig.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    worst case scenario for me on AoS
    Ward's conflicted about being a mole because he loves Skye. That would be the wooooorst, mostly because the Ward/Skye thing has been pretty awful so far

Yeah,
    that would be terrible. In fact, if they do make Ward a willing villain then they shouldn't have him be conflicted or doubt himself at all. Hydra has been able to hide itself within SHIELD for 70 years, if they're that careful and secretive then there's no way they'd ever send in an agent who has any hints of doubt.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Agents of SHIELD was really good, and I hope they have the guts to stick with some of the choices they made in this episode
    I'm not sure what they're going to do, logistically. Like, having Ward stay bad and be for real bad would be a good choice, but it also sucks for that actor since he'd go from a series regular to someone who shows up to be evil and eventually must be gotten rid of.

In the same way, Paxton is a great villain, but it just means his tenure on the show is now limited, and I'd rather he be a main cast member who is making things interesting rather than a good villain who will eventually be ejected.
    nah, it's a Whedon show (and yes I know Joss isn't showrunner but his brother and sister in law are, and they've been working with him since dr horrible). If they want Ward to stick around they'll find a way. Think Spike in Buffy/Angel as a model.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Also wait, how can you say that the writers just came up with it and also acknowledge that everything the character has done all season has been building to this?

you can anticipate a story beat without thinking the story has earned it. If you watch enough procedural shows like this you can see story stuff coming from a mile away.

it was pretty obvious that paxton was going to be evil. it would have been an interesting choice for him to not be evil. There was no one on the team who was going to be a mole other than ward. Whether or not he earned that turn is debatable.

It was especially apparent in last week's episode when all the focus was on Mei. Mei was obviously innocent, but that meant that if there was going to be a mole, and the show was leaning hard on that, it would have to be Ward. Paxton was framed suspiciously and making pretty normal "this character is a traitor" moves from the moment he came on board. Hand was also pretty obviously either not the clairvoyant or not even hydra.

These sorts of shows have visual cues and story beats that aren't difficult to anticipate, it's the execution that matters.

AoS has been much, much better for the past few weeks, but that doesn't mean it's not following some pretty rote procedural story routes.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    you can c/p the text into a thing to make it go away

It's mostly grammar/sentence structure for me. Same with the Firefly character dialog.
    I can deal with the all caps.

Yeah, that's a big part if it as well. And then there's a personal issue I have with the way they actually present their knowledge. (Which is, as far as I know, spot on. They clearly know more about film than I do)

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I just skip over the live Plinkett bits and get back to the review because he does make incredibly salient points that would be better served without that crap.

I find the Half in the Bag/Best of the Worst stuff entertaining though. It's obvious they're just being stupid with the in-character stuff.

Ceno on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The quiz at the end of the Half in the Bag for Captain America 2 was pretty good:

"What was the plot of Catwoman?"
    "I didn't see Catwoman." "Nobody saw Catwoman."
    "Correct!"

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

you can anticipate a story beat without thinking the story has earned it. If you watch enough procedural shows like this you can see story stuff coming from a mile away.

it was pretty obvious that paxton was going to be evil. it would have been an interesting choice for him to not be evil. There was no one on the team who was going to be a mole other than ward. Whether or not he earned that turn is debatable.

It was especially apparent in last week's episode when all the focus was on Mei. Mei was obviously innocent, but that meant that if there was going to be a mole, and the show was leaning hard on that, it would have to be Ward. Paxton was framed suspiciously and making pretty normal "this character is a traitor" moves from the moment he came on board. Hand was also pretty obviously either not the clairvoyant or not even hydra.

These sorts of shows have visual cues and story beats that aren't difficult to anticipate, it's the execution that matters.

AoS has been much, much better for the past few weeks, but that doesn't mean it's not following some pretty rote procedural story routes.
    It's "May". Same spelling as the month and the aunt.

Gokerz wrote: »
    It's the sort of twist that was clearly thought about after episodes were made, because his actions and depictions while alone aren't the actions of a mole.

AoS spoilers
    The writers have said in an interview that Ward was supposed to be the traitor from the beginning. They just didn't tell the actor until the filming of Yes Man.
    Brett Dalton has mentioned in a nother interview that he thinks that was the right way to do it, as he wouldn't have been able to pace the revelations right. His body language would given away too much too early.
    I agree that the result isn't that great either, because you got no hints at all. I blame Loeb.
    I don't mind them not giving any hints at all for a turn, I just think it's not great writing to have completely opposite reactions that undermine the idea during the season.

Like, I would appreciate the show not having the camera linger on Ward smiling insidiously for ten episodes or whatever before he turns bad, but there was stuff before that he just wouldn't naturally do, alone.

Anyway, I'm fine with it whether or not he's a true traitor, I just think that while I can agree that not telling the actor isn't a terrible way to do things, when you do that you have to leave yourself some plausible deniability for the character to stay true to that turn.

Man, you are literally saying completely conflicting things here.

Is your complaint that it was not set up and was "thought about after the episodes were made" or is it super obvious and telegraphed?

I mean whether it's a good or a bad twist, I was just trying to say that the fact that it can be predicted based on events from the first half of the season means that it was set up intentionally and not something the writers just thought of a couple months ago. Your latter argument that the twist was something you could see from a mile away implies that it is supported by earlier events in the season, which is what you were originally arguing against and is the whole reason this back-and-forth even started.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Spoilers for AoS, Langly and Jimothy debate
    the events of the season add up as hints, but the way Brett Dalton has been playing the character, even in scenes where the rest of the team isn't around, don't really support the twist, which is a consequence of him not knowing about it himself for most of the season

Grey Ghost on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

Gokerz wrote: »
    It's the sort of twist that was clearly thought about after episodes were made, because his actions and depictions while alone aren't the actions of a mole.

AoS spoilers
    The writers have said in an interview that Ward was supposed to be the traitor from the beginning. They just didn't tell the actor until the filming of Yes Man.
    Brett Dalton has mentioned in a nother interview that he thinks that was the right way to do it, as he wouldn't have been able to pace the revelations right. His body language would given away too much too early.
    I agree that the result isn't that great either, because you got no hints at all. I blame Loeb.
    I don't mind them not giving any hints at all for a turn, I just think it's not great writing to have completely opposite reactions that undermine the idea during the season.

Like, I would appreciate the show not having the camera linger on Ward smiling insidiously for ten episodes or whatever before he turns bad, but there was stuff before that he just wouldn't naturally do, alone.

Anyway, I'm fine with it whether or not he's a true traitor, I just think that while I can agree that not telling the actor isn't a terrible way to do things, when you do that you have to leave yourself some plausible deniability for the character to stay true to that turn.

Man, you are literally saying completely conflicting things here.

Is your complaint that it was not set up and was "thought about after the episodes were made" or is it super obvious and telegraphed?

I mean whether it's a good or a bad twist, I was just trying to say that the fact that it can be predicted based on events from the first half of the season means that it was set up intentionally and not something the writers just thought of a couple months ago. Your latter argument that the twist was something you could see from a mile away implies that it is supported by earlier events in the season, which is what you were originally arguing against and is the whole reason this back-and-forth even started.

you are misunderstanding the difference between a character telegraphing a story beat, and simply anticipating a story beat because I've watched a thousand shows like this and I know how they generally work.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see whatever Shalvey is cooking up for this issue of Moon Knight.

EdtP8yQ.png

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Broken limbs, bones, and faces I'm sure.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So according to Mighty Avengers the first arrival of Galactus in FF happened in the Marvel Universe at some unspecified point after January 1st, 2000

Dang

I mean it makes sense with the sliding timescale but weird to think that the MU is a post-millenial thing now

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Today, Invincible reached a new low:
    There is a multi-page, graphic scene of Mark being raped by a Viltrumite woman.

ROOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNNNNN'TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

KNOW HOW TO WRITE ANYMORE

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    the walking dead is like the worst example of this

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    He barely knew how to write years ago

Like the last genuinely good thing out of him I remember was the first 2/3rds of his Marvel Team-Up and that was like 10 years ago

CYpGAPn.png
    yeah, invincible was some of the better parts of ultimate spider-man and just turned into like "man of steel" and "a serbian film"

next issue: mark skullfucks someone to death

unless this is already tread upon territory

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So I saw the Invincible thing on Scans Daily and honestly it was done as tastefully as possible. Still doesn't mean it should have happened but if nothing else it was an interesting reverse comics trope.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    It seems like every critic I've listened to has hated captain america 2

Which is weird because Cap 1 was actually decently reviewed, and most people I know were just kinda OK on it

Now everybody loves this one and the critics seem like they hate it. Even the positive reviews are pretty middling

EDIT: Well, on rottentomatoes it's well-rated so I guess it's just all the critics I listen to

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »
    It seems like every critic I've listened to has hated captain america 2

Which is weird because Cap 1 was actually decently reviewed, and most people I know were just kinda OK on it

Now everybody loves this one and the critics seem like they hate it. Even the positive reviews are pretty middling
    It has a 89% on Rotten Tomatoes!

CYpGAPn.png
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So I saw the Invincible thing on Scans Daily and honestly it was done as tastefully as possible. Still doesn't mean it should have happened but if nothing else it was an interesting reverse comics trope.
    Literally an entire page of her raping him and then telling him to man up is not fucking tasteful

and rape isn't a trope! It is rape

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

while that might be true, "as tastefully as possible" is still really fucking dire

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I saw this last night. It was hella tight. Hella tight. It's gotten me pretty hyped up for Avengers 2.

I should really catch up on AoS, but I guess reading all the spoilers is doing an okay job of that.

I'm not going to go back to the other thread and reread pages and pages of spoilers but has anybody mentioned the possibility that *Cap 2/Avengers 2 spoilers*:
    Ultron is going to have something to do with Project Insight? The entire time the movie was playing I kept thinking "Insight = Vision" and tried making a connection but I'm not sure how that would work.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

These words don't go together this way

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Turn, Turn, Turn had lowest ratings yet for Agents of SHIELD.

Which is a bummer but why the hell are they putting it up against NCIS and The Voice? Those are, like, two of the biggest shows on Network TV

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I wonder if any meaningful amount of that was people staying away because they hadn't seen Cap 2 yet?

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Does rape even happen in normal comics anymore

Like the only time I hear about it anymore is in shitty fringe comics trying to be edgy

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Comics were weird this week

Iron Fist wasn't bad, Danny is definitely angrier and angstier than usual but he still shined through near the end with some goofy dweeb behavior. Hopefully the series will being a little more of that up going forward.

Daredevil was great but jesus Bendis stop doing giant prose stories with still images of art they are annoying to read.

Shutter had an absolutely fantastic start and was probably my favorite book this week

ANXM had an insane murderer's row of artists but a super jarring shift in the middle and was basically a giant FUCK YOU to Hank McCoy who is one of my favorite X-Men so I ain't down with that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Does rape even happen in normal comics anymore

Like the only time I hear about it anymore is in shitty fringe comics trying to be edgy

I think 2 or 3 female heroes in DC New 52 have a rape in their backstory

Well the Amazons definitely seduced and killed various Greek dudes but I don't think it was rape?

CYpGAPn.png
    Comics were weird this week

Iron Fist wasn't bad, Danny is definitely angrier and angstier than usual but he still shined through near the end with some goofy dweeb behavior. Hopefully the series will being a little more of that up going forward.

Daredevil was great but jesus Bendis stop doing giant prose stories with still images of art they are annoying to read.

Shutter had an absolutely fantastic start and was probably my favorite book this week

ANXM had an insane murderer's row of artists but a super jarring shift in the middle and was basically a giant FUCK YOU to Hank McCoy who is one of my favorite X-Men so I ain't down with that

What'd you think of Ultimates?

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blank, Spoil anxm?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Pretty solid start!

Nothing mind-blowing but I love the color palette and it seems like it'll be a perfectly solid teen team book

CYpGAPn.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Well the Amazons definitely seduced and killed various Greek dudes but I don't think it was rape?

The Amazons seduce and have sex with sailors every 30 years to get pregnant, then they kill the sailors and sell the male babies to Hephastus for weapons. It's a terrible idea and really hurts the whole series. I do wonder what they do with the gay sailors.

KingofMadCows on
    Blank, Spoil anxm?
    Well the whole issue is Hank being shown images of possible universes if he did or did not pluck the O5 from the timestream. Both good and bad.

The jarring shift is when it has all of these dark futures, then some good ones, and then a whole bunch of cartoonists(including the Jean and Scott guy from Tumblr) do goofy comedic strips and then there's a few more good ones

then it is revealed that the guy showing all of this to Hank is The Watcher and he straight up says "You disgust me." to Hank before leaving.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.