As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Parties

• Sudds27Sudds27 Registered User regular
    I'm checking on the dress code for Royale. Honestly, I have no clue... it's been years since I've been in there. Anyone meeting up tomorrow night? I plan on picking up my badge around 5:00 and then I was going to get a drink or two. I wanted to run with the Thread Podcast pub crawl but that's sold out.

This is my advice to people planning on hitting Royale on Saturday night. I would NOT wear shorts or sweatpants. I guess last year they were turning away people that were dressed like... well... like you were at PAX all day. I'm not saying that you have to get all decked out but if you look homeless... you're not getting in. They can be very strict at the door. The other clubs are not as strict but... if I had to guess, if you are wearing shorts, you're not getting in. I could be WAY wrong on this one... but all 3 places are NOT bars, they are clubs and they do have "dress codes". Good luck.

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I am hoping the venue has been completely rented so they aren't so strict on dress code. I figure if they give me a hard time I will simply drink somewhere that wants my money.

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    My advice would always be to operate on the "better safe than sorry" rule. Smart casual will work for most places, but its a party. Surely you want to make a bit of an effort right? :)

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
    The only thing that worries me is the sneakers/athletic shoe policy. I may be going right from the con and I am definitely not wearing (or lugging around) a pair of dress shoes. Air Max will be just fine!

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me is the sneakers/athletic shoe policy. I may be going right from the con and I am definitely not wearing (or lugging around) a pair of dress shoes. Air Max will be just fine!

Another sneaker entusiast going?

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    question about going stright from the convention obviously most people will have bags with them. Is there a bag storage area at most of these clubs or is this something I would either have to drop my bag off at my hotel before I go or have a friend grab it for me and bring it back to the hotel

Yeah, it's a tough call... I agree... spend money else where but the club won't really care what you do. If you look like a scrub then you're not getting in. I think that sneakers are fine. Your best bet is to look "nice". I can tell you that I'm wearing black shell toes... classic look and that won't stop me from getting in.

• ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular

Can you elaborate on this boston cream pie talk? OMNI makes them? Do they have a store?

@Triiipledot The Omni Parker House hotel is credited with creating the Boston Cream Pie. They have an in-hotel restaurant, Parker's, where you can buy the pie. Cant say if they do take out, but given how much of a tourist hit point it is, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I do love me some sneakers. I am just playing it by ear. I don't dress too scrubby but I am not wearing Tom Ford either.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    anyone know how many people the staduim bar and grill holds

I do love me some sneakers. I am just playing it by ear. I don't dress too scrubby but I am not wearing Tom Ford either.

thinking of bringing sauconys for comfort really. might bring a pair of foams and dunks too.

Good choice. If I see you at the parties we can talk kicks!

• LadyLoveMonsterLadyLoveMonster Registered User regular
    Sudds27 wrote: »
    This is my advice to people planning on hitting Royale on Saturday night. I would NOT wear shorts or sweatpants. I guess last year they were turning away people that were dressed like... well... like you were at PAX all day. I'm not saying that you have to get all decked out but if you look homeless... you're not getting in. They can be very strict at the door. The other clubs are not as strict but... if I had to guess, if you are wearing shorts, you're not getting in. I could be WAY wrong on this one... but all 3 places are NOT bars, they are clubs and they do have "dress codes". Good luck.

They've turned people away the past 2 years for the dress code so definitely dress up for anything at Royale. They don't tend to respect the party as much as they do their dress code.

I hear you... I'm just trying to offer some advice. Maybe sneakers won't pass the dress code test?

• sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    I hear you... I'm just trying to offer some advice. Maybe sneakers won't pass the dress code test?

I believe sneakers do not pass the Royale dress code test.

For those looking at the ASUS party at The Estate, there is a dress code there as well, and I would assume Royale has a dress code very similar to this:

Estate Dress Code

• cdalecdale Registered User regular
    sfford2008 wrote: »

For those looking at the ASUS party at The Estate, there is a dress code there as well, and I would assume Royale has a dress code very similar to this:

Estate Dress Code

So does that mean I can't wear my vans? They're the only shoes I have D:

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    cdale wrote: »
    sfford2008 wrote: »

Estate Dress Code

So does that mean I can't wear my vans? They're the only shoes I have D:

That's disappointing. I planned on changing before going to the parties, but the years of pub crawls and walking, okay stumbling, along Boston's famed cobbled sidewalks has taught me not to break out the high heels. I mean I know your clothes should look up to par, but come on give us a break on the footwear!

• upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    @Dolarrah yea I was thinking that route. Indies is friday I thought? :)

I was thinking heading there after nvidia, then over to destructoid karaoke (if I can figure out which will be going later, would prefer to end the night at indies but drunken karaoke is hard to pass up and thats a few blocks or so from the omni). Thinking tho the destructoid will be an earlier one since those guys may head to other parties. If we catch each other at indies I will buy you a round!

• KumaKuma Registered User regular
    Well that sucks about Twitch, was kinda looking for a late night party for Friday. Any suggestions?

I am also heading up Thursday night now instead of Friday morning, is anyone meeting up for a pre party? I'd like to get in on one.

f7v9h.jpg
  • pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    What parties are being held at
    Kuma wrote: »
    Well that sucks about Twitch, was kinda looking for a late night party for Friday. Any suggestions?

I am also heading up Thursday night now instead of Friday morning, is anyone meeting up for a pre party? I'd like to get in on one.

If you missed out on NVIDIA and Harmonix, there's also a party by 8 Bit Gaming and N.E.P.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/8-bit-boston-at-pax-east-presented-by-exclusively-nep-and-structure-gaming-tickets-10747527143

I got in on nvidia but that only goes to 11. But 8bit does sound cool, may have to check it out

f7v9h.jpg
    the indie party venue is one that requires dress code?

• thornxblthornxbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    "Sneakers" like these will work at Royale. I know cuz I wore some last year:
    http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/shoes/sneakers

It's running/tennis/basketball style shoes that won't work.

For women, all I know is Cliffy B's wife was rejected because of her Uggs, from what I heard on twitter.

thornxbl on
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    thornxbl wrote: »

For women, all I know is Cliffy B's wife was rejected because of her Uggs, from what I heard on twitter.

That's pretty disgusting if true. I get having a dress code for normal circumstances but when it's a huge party being hosted and paid for by a gaming company they should get the final say in the dress code. I'm planning to go to the Wolfenstein party at the Royale in my standard outfit of t-shirt, jeans and sneakers (hosting company said that will be more then fine) and I'll be really pissed if I don't get in due to the venues dress code.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    miker525 wrote: »
    thornxbl wrote: »

That's pretty disgusting if true. I get having a dress code for normal circumstances but when it's a huge party being hosted and paid for by a gaming company they should get the final say in the dress code. I'm planning to go to the Wolfenstein party at the Royale in my standard outfit of t-shirt, jeans and sneakers (hosting company said that will be more then fine) and I'll be really pissed if I don't get in due to the venues dress code.

Well, if Bethesda said it was cool then it should be cool. they are renting the place out and have probably worked it out.

f7v9h.jpg
  • upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    Bringing some collared shirts just in case, since Nvidia is at Guilt (Royale) I can hit that up first, if I feel like I need to get out I can always head to the IGN party since I have an rsvp. Never big on "clubs" but the Nvidia party seems like it just happens to be at a "club". Aside from Nvidia/Wolfenstein/Asus, all the other events I would be a lot more comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans!

I'm going to rock a polo. I think that should be ok?

I'm going to rock a polo. I think that should be ok?
    I can't see that being a problem at all

f7v9h.jpg
  • d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    Any update on the super exclusive "invite only" twitch party?

So there is a party at Rise called 1up on Friday at 10. I know there are a lot of Friday parties but this one is 18+ and no dress code so it may help out some.

I also want to say, that anyone traveling tomorrow, drive safe.

f7v9h.jpg
  • GamerEdieGamerEdie Registered User regular
    Is anyone aware of a Game of Thrones viewing party on Sunday night?

GamerEdie wrote: »
    Is anyone aware of a Game of Thrones viewing party on Sunday night?

No but it's a damn good idea

f7v9h.jpg
    When I talked to my buddy... he told me to talk to check with the booking manager... OK, I'll get right on that. I'm pretty sure that if your "look" is decent and you don't look like a crumb bum then you should be fine. I don't think that white regular old sneakers will work, but what do I know. I'm wearing all black shell toes and I don't think that's a problem at all. Good luck everyone! Anyone else going to the Thread Podcast pub crawl?

OK, my contact told me... per the booking manager/person... there is no dress code for the event at Royale. The only issue would be if you left the event and then tried to get back into the club (which I'm sure no one is interested in doing). Hopefully this info holds true and everyone can get in without any issues. If you get turned away... don't blame me!!!!

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    @Dolarrah yea I was thinking that route. Indies is friday I thought? :)

I was thinking heading there after nvidia, then over to destructoid karaoke (if I can figure out which will be going later, would prefer to end the night at indies but drunken karaoke is hard to pass up and thats a few blocks or so from the omni). Thinking tho the destructoid will be an earlier one since those guys may head to other parties. If we catch each other at indies I will buy you a round!

Yeah Indies is Friday, I will be there. Days are getting blurry as the excitement of PAX EVE arrives.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    OK, my contact told me... per the booking manager/person... there is no dress code for the event at Royale. The only issue would be if you left the event and then tried to get back into the club (which I'm sure no one is interested in doing). Hopefully this info holds true and everyone can get in without any issues. If you get turned away... don't blame me!!!!

Can speak for this year, but those 3 clubs, Guilt, Royal and Underbar are not usually Nazis at Pax time because they are being rented out and outrageous prices. In the past the only issue I have seen cause people to get booted were frayed leg jeans, pants that hung below the waste, and very raggy clothes with lots of holes in them. All of which are safety issues for other patrons, which is the only reason they typically care. If you just trekked through a cow field in your sneakers, I don't think they would care other then the smell :)

Agreed, I believe he said "we turned people away that looked homeless". So yeah, I'm pretty sure the "homeless" look won't get you into the club ("ya'll aren't even old enough to be in the damn club!").

I thought the homeless look was in? I am getting too old for this at 26......

• angrymonkeyfightangrymonkeyfight Captain Awesome Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I believe the homeless look is called "Derelicte" as made famous by designer Mugatu.