As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sgt. Superhero Thread: The Spring Spoilers

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    That's

Stupid

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I agree!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Like I appreciate the idea of this giant special issue with art from Bruce Timm and Skottie Young and JG Jones and everyone in between but it was just really poorly paced and the tone shifts wildly and it ends by taking a giant dump on one of my favorite characters so

not a big fan

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Does rape even happen in normal comics anymore

Like the only time I hear about it anymore is in shitty fringe comics trying to be edgy

I think 2 or 3 female heroes in DC New 52 have a rape in their backstory
    shitty fringe comics trying to be edgy

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It also makes uatu a huge hypocrit

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    You should spoiler that, since it is kind of a reveal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    You should spoiler that, since it is kind of a reveal

Sorry, was on my phone

Still though, he does that shit all the time

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    ooNtB8M.jpg
    I love Francesco Francavilla.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Blank let yourself have some fun and read this week's Captain Marvel, I literally snorted a laugh at one point, was a fun issue.

I also get to see Winter Soldier tonight woo! so I can finally read the last 20ish pages of the old thread!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I swear to god, if Original Sin Has
    Hank McCoy as Uatu's killer, I ain't going to buy the trade when it comes out.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    jesus you guys, they're just capital letters

like, not to be glib but you're saying he's worse than a character that rapes and murders

That's skippable

The only way to skip FCH's shtick is to not read it

Or buy his book, which comes with both a Hulk (all caps) and a Banner (normal capitalisation) version.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I swear to god, if Original Sin Has
    Hank McCoy as Uatu's killer, I ain't going to buy the trade when it comes out.
    I am like 1000% sure that won't happen

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I am entirely on board with this new iron fist

Its not as great as Fractions run but itll do

Edit: And Secret Avengers. Its hawkeye but as a team and I am so down with that

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »

I want to like RLM so badly but I really fucking hate the in-character stuff they do

I have this weird thing with Plinkett

I think the voice is actually pretty funny, and a lot of the ticks of the character are great (not quite finishing a sentence before moving on, etc) but the serial killer part is suuuuch a drag it pulls me out

I was just clued in to the fact that this word is "tics"

I have been doing this for 15 years

yaaay

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    New Suicide Squad #1 in July

The artist is the guy who won that Harley Quinn contest, so uh...good for him, I guess.

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

The artist is the guy who won that Harley Quinn contest, so uh...good for him, I guess.
    With team leader Amanda Waller no longer having the autonomy she used to and new members causing all sorts of problems, the team will have an awfully hard time on their first mission: a trip to Vladimir Putin’s Russia.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

With team leader Amanda Waller no longer having the autonomy she used to and new members causing all sorts of problems, the team will have an awfully hard time on their first mission: a trip to Vladimir Putin’s Russia.

Fucking

what

Someone at DC is playing some sort of long con April Fools joke, right?

• Options
    The writer has done a one shot and some anthology stories and that's it so uh

Not exactly optimistic about that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm kind of undecided on the new Iron Fist book.
    On one hand, ugh let's retell the origin yet again. On the other hand, fighting undead ninjas off a skyscraper. On the other other hand, Danny is one trip to Hot Topic before going full emo. On the other other other hand, Danny punched a helicopter to death.

And on the other other other other hand why the fuck do I have so many hands?!

I'm probably gonna follow the first arc at least but I wasn't entirely wowed by it.

Secret Avengers was pretty fun, Avengers Undercover is getting interesting as well.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    It's so weird that while Marvel is killing it both in the movie box offices but also on TV and in the comics, DC's best thing going right now is a fucking CW show about the Green Arrow.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

Fucking

what

Someone at DC is playing some sort of long con April Fools joke, right?

I initially read "autonomy" as "anatomy" and it should probably say something that I was not surprised that was a thing that DC would be doing.
    By which I mean I imagined something violent and horrible happening to her because DC.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Marvel's not really killing it on TV, at least as far as ratings are concerned

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Arrow is pretty enjoyable, I have to get around to posting my impressions of season 1, because I finished it recently.

• Options
    I wonder if they care about the ratings for AoS

I was reading something about how Cosmos's ratings are abysmal but they don't care because the targeted audience isn't going to watch it on tv on airing anyway

And that describes people who'd be into a comics show to a T

• Options
    Yeah, I have to wonder if they won't keep it around to just to have a TV presence, in spite of the fact it doesn't do so well as it airs

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I wonder if they care about the ratings for AoS

I was reading something about how Cosmos's ratings are abysmal but they don't care because the targeted audience isn't going to watch it on tv on airing anyway

And that describes people who'd be into a comics show to a T
    It had a huge spike on social media apparently, up like 150% or something. I wonder what time shifted views are like. I'm a pretty rabid fan and I wait an hour to skip commercials.

• Options
    I think AoS will clean up in home video sales.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Marvel's not really killing it on TV, at least as far as ratings are concerned
    AoS isn't a smash hit but it isn't in dire straits

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think AoS will clean up in home video sales.

I know I'm going to buy it, and I never buy TV shows in physical sets

• Options
    Yeah, I already own the MCU on Blu-Ray so far, I'm not gonna have an AoS-sized hole

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    My compulsion to own everything MCU is going to lead to me buying every single soundtrack

Even, like, Iron Man 2's, which I think is wholly unremarkable

Marvel's got their hooks in me good

• Options
    Shit, I have two copies of phase one thanks to that giant-ass collection. I'll probably wind up with two copies of Phase 2 as well, if they do another phase collectors set.
    Phase 2 spoilers
    It better come with toy versions of the Aether stone and the Orb. I want a complete set of infinity stones, dammit!

• Options
    My compulsion to own everything MCU is going to lead to me buying every single soundtrack

Do you have all the tie-in comics?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Cap 2 / AoS spoilers
    b98.jpg

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I think the only MCU stuff I'd like to own are Winter Soldier, Avengers, and the first Iron Man movie. Maaaaaaaybe The Incredible Hulk

• Options
    edited April 2014

I don't yet!

It's just Fury's Big Week and a couple of Iron Man tie-ins, right?

Edit: Although I do also need a few of the Blu-rays, specifically Captain America, Incredible Hulk, and Thor 2

Etchwarts on
  • Options

I don't yet!

Edit: Although I do also need a few of the Blu-rays, specifically Captain America, Incredible Hulk, and Thor 2

-Avengers: Road to the Avengers (contains a comic version of Iron Man 1, several Iron Man 2 prequels and a Captain America Prequel)
    -Black Widow Strikes (?) (Contains a 3 issue miniseries)
    -Fury's Big Week (contains an 8 issue miniseries)

-After that, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2 and GotG all have gotten (or are getting) books that typically contain a comicization of the previous movie, a two issue prequel miniseries for the upcoming movie and occasionally some random 616 issues that show off important character introductions or whatever.

• Options

I don't yet!

-Avengers: Road to the Avengers (contains a comic version of Iron Man 1, several Iron Man 2 prequels and a Captain America Prequel)
    -Black Widow Strikes (?) (Contains a 3 issue miniseries)
    -Fury's Big Week (contains an 8 issue miniseries)

-After that, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2 and GotG all have gotten (or are getting) books that typically contain a comicization of the previous movie, a two issue prequel miniseries for the upcoming movie and occasionally some random 616 issues that show off important character introductions or whatever.

Oh, that's...

Hmm. Well, it wouldn't be worth doing if it was easy!

On that note, do you know if any of these are collected together, or would I have to track down individual issues?

• Options
    Here's some Amazon links

Avengers: Road to the Avengers
    Collecting Iron Man: I Am Iron Man! 1-2, Iron Man: Security Measures, Iron Man 2: Public Identity 1-3, Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Captain America: First Vengeance 1-4

Marvel's The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
    Collecting Prelude to Avengers 1-4

Marvel's the Avengers: Black Widow Strikes
    Collecting MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS: BLACK WIDOW STRIKES #1-3.

Marvel's Iron Man 3 The Movie Prelude
    Collecting Marvel's Iron Man 2 Adaptation 1-2; Marvel's Iron Man 3 Prelude 1-2, Iron Man (2005) 1

Marvel's Thor: The Dark World Prelude
    Collecting Marvel's Thor Adaptation 1-2, Marvel's Thor: The Dark World Prelude 1-2 and THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #13.

Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier Prelude
    Collecting MARVEL'S CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER ADAPTATION 1-2, MARVEL'S CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER INFINITE COMIC 1, CAPTAIN AMERICA (1968) 117, CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) 6, THE ULTIMATES 2, MATERIAL FROM TALES OF SUSPENSE (1959) 57; HANDBOOK PROFILES

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude
    Collecting Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude 1-2, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comic 1, Iron Man (1968) 55, Strange Tales (1951) 181, Incredible Hulk (1968) 271; material from Tales to Astonish (1959) 13, Marvel Preview 4; Handbook profiles

This discussion has been closed.