As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    they do bag/coat storage every day

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    In regards to bag/coat storage, just be prepared to wait in the line for it once you are inside. The staff working that part do a good job, but it takes time and the line can get pretty long.

Also, if it is anything like previous years, there are multiple stations; everyone seems to forget about the one downstairs for some reason.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Im pretty sure this has been answered before but someone in my group is now complaining so I have to ask, Is there cheaper overnight parking alternatives near the Convention Center or in the downtown area?

Im staying at the Hyatt Regency and it costs $30-36/night to park. I am now trying to find a place within walking distance of the BCEC or the Hyatt that I can leave my car at from Thursday-Sunday that would be cheaper and safe.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Sry guys ... but someone posted a user friendly schedule recently but I can't find it ... can anyone help thx

Nevermind found it .....

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    Im pretty sure this has been answered before but someone in my group is now complaining so I have to ask, Is there cheaper overnight parking alternatives near the Convention Center or in the downtown area?

Im staying at the Hyatt Regency and it costs $30-36/night to park. I am now trying to find a place within walking distance of the BCEC or the Hyatt that I can leave my car at from Thursday-Sunday that would be cheaper and safe.
    Unfortunately, it looks like all the parking garages in that immediate vicinity are in the same ~$30 ballpark. If you want cheaper parking, you're probably looking at parking farther away, or taking a chance at finding street parking; I would generally not recommend the latter, street parking is seriously hit or miss and can have odd restrictions depending on the day and time.

• Options
    FYI the Official FAQ on paxsite has been updated with new info for this week

• Options
    KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    I have a questions about panels at PAX. Is it alright to video record the panels and what does the seating situation look like for the Albatross Theatre? Is it stadium style?

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • Options
    Kythos wrote: »
    I have a questions about panels at PAX. Is it alright to video record the panels and what does the seating situation look like for the Albatross Theatre? Is it stadium style?
    All the theaters have flat seating. They're basically ballrooms with chairs.

In general all things at pax are OK to record unless someone specifically says otherwise. Some panelists or events may say "please no recording" and you should respect that if it happens.

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Kythos wrote: »

I believe that depends on the panel. For instance, mega64 lets you film everything but the exclusive videos they show at the start of the panel.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    And all seating is flat with a raised stage, seats are standalone, standard chairs.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    regarding if the bag and coat holding is open all day pax tweeted me back that it runs from 10am till midnight

• Options
    rascrush wrote: »
    regarding if the bag and coat holding is open all day pax tweeted me back that it runs from 10am till midnight
    Yeah, they updated the official faq to include that info as well :) thanks for reporting back with that though

• Options
    KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    Thanks for the responses guys!

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • Options
    ViverraViverra Commander TexasRegistered User regular
    I've looked into the "coat check" but can't seem to find definite answers. Can I store a large suitcase here with costumes in it to change? Does it cost? Is there a line? Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Facebook Page | Viverra Cosplay
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Viverra wrote: »
    I've looked into the "coat check" but can't seem to find definite answers. Can I store a large suitcase here with costumes in it to change? Does it cost? Is there a line? Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Lots of suitcases get stored at PAX, but I will let you know there is no real "Oh let me get xxx and then you can put it back" They might let you get away with it once, but you will probably be asked to pay again if you do it more then once. Tipping helps change that attitude.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Viverra wrote: »

SUNDAY! My friend had to catch a flight after we checked out the Expo Floor on Sunday and he had to bring his luggage and everything, all of the coat check lines were insane. If you wanna use it Sunday, go early!

• Options
    CuriostyCosbyCuriostyCosby Registered User regular
    Hey all, booked a hotel this year that is going to leave us using the shuttle services and it's the first time we've had to use them. Are they free/covered by the PAX Badge? Are they marked/signed clearly for PAX?
    I just want to make sure I don't get stuck with a bus fare I might not have or end up in the far end of the city by accident.

• Options
    how early would u suggest getting in line to get you stuff from the coat/bag holding area on sunday if you have to leave at a certain time. I mean is this something i should get inline for expecting to be waiting a few hours to get my bag or are we talking 30 min. I have to catch a train back home on sunday so just want to make sure i give myself enough time to get my bags and get to my train in time

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    how early would u suggest getting in line to get you stuff from the coat/bag holding area on sunday if you have to leave at a certain time. I mean is this something i should get inline for expecting to be waiting a few hours to get my bag or are we talking 30 min. I have to catch a train back home on sunday so just want to make sure i give myself enough time to get my bags and get to my train in time

It entirely depends on when you drop off\pick up your bags to how long the lines are. If you drop off early in the morning as soon as doors open there will be a long line. If you wait until lots of people leave to pick up (right after expo hall closes, after the concerts end, etc) you will also see a line. But there are times when there is no line at all.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Hey all, booked a hotel this year that is going to leave us using the shuttle services and it's the first time we've had to use them. Are they free/covered by the PAX Badge? Are they marked/signed clearly for PAX?
    I just want to make sure I don't get stuck with a bus fare I might not have or end up in the far end of the city by accident.

Buses are clearly marked with signs in windows, and you will see a crowd for them early morning so it will be mostly easy to find. They are free. What hotel you are at will effect where they are, so asking the front desk or bell man is recommended.

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Also keep in mind that while the busses have numbers, they are constantly shuffling busses. My first time at Park Plaza we had all kinds of numbers of buses coming up and picking us up (that's the line with the most amount of hotels)

• Options
    CuriostyCosbyCuriostyCosby Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, I'll assume it'll be easy to tell which bus i'm looking for as there will likely be a crowd of PAXers waiting for the same shuttles.

• Options
    so if I planned to grab my bags around 230 or 3 on sunday how should I expect the line to be

• Options
    how do they know which bag is yours like is there a number system or something like that or do you have to show id to get in

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    how do they know which bag is yours like is there a number system or something like that or do you have to show id to get in

They ticket them. Make sure you hold onto the ticket they give you.

• Options
    SnubberSnubber Registered User new member
    I'd prefer to drive to PAX but I'm worried that I won't get a spot. In previous years, did anyone have issues finding spots?

• Options
    mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    Question about the posted FAQ on the site... it says that there is a form you need to fill out when you come up to the information desk to request for a medical badge. Does anyone know what the format of this form is, or what questions they'll be asking?

I'm wondering because in previous years a form was not needed and on the first page of this thread it says a dr. note is not needed, but if it's needed for the new form I'd need to bring one.

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Snubber wrote: »
    I'd prefer to drive to PAX but I'm worried that I won't get a spot. In previous years, did anyone have issues finding spots?

I never had an issue finding a space in self park. I have encountered valet being full. They do have an overflow lot so space should not be an issue.

• Options
    mtalmor wrote: »
    Question about the posted FAQ on the site... it says that there is a form you need to fill out when you come up to the information desk to request for a medical badge. Does anyone know what the format of this form is, or what questions they'll be asking?

I'm wondering because in previous years a form was not needed and on the first page of this thread it says a dr. note is not needed, but if it's needed for the new form I'd need to bring one.
    You still don't need a Doctor's note. They just want to have more info on file in case something happens, as far as I know. It's just basic info about your mobility, and your name and the name of your "helper".

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Is there a phone app that I could use that uses the front facing camera on my camera and my wife's camera to allow us to video chat? I'm going to have a hard time not seeing my 10mo daughter for 5 days.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is there a phone app that I could use that uses the front facing camera on my camera and my wife's camera to allow us to video chat? I'm going to have a hard time not seeing my 10mo daughter for 5 days.
    Depending on your phone, there should be an option when doing video chat that allows you to switch between cameras. I'm yet to see a phone that does not gave this option.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    brassbgeekbrassbgeek Registered User new member
    Is there a map of the convention space as well as list of exhibitors, that I can get that isn't through an app? I don't have a smartphone.

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    brassbgeek wrote: »
    Is there a map of the convention space as well as list of exhibitors, that I can get that isn't through an app? I don't have a smartphone.
    there's usually one in the programs. Which are free and given out at the queue room every morning

• Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    brassbgeek wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/188585/pax-east-2014-dyamaps-nsf56k

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    with these bag checks include pat downs as well?

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    That hasn't been mentioned. You should tweet it as that could be important

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So, as far as getting there early. I see the place opens at 8:00 AM but stuff doesn't begin until 10:00 AM. But then I see the Keynote thing and I'm not even sure what time that's at. So I guess my question is.

I plan to be there early to line up early. And I really don't mind doing this. How early is too early though? If it opens at 8:00, I was thinking about being there for around 7:00 or so. or is that too early? I really don't even know, but I figure some people must have an idea of how early people get there and line up. I was going to be up around 6 to get ready. Leave around 6:30 and then be there for around 7:00. What's the general consensus for being there when it opens at 8:00 AM?

Edit: Oh! And how about card usage there? Is it mainly all dealt in money or is it ok to go in with my debit or credit card to buy things? That's something I've been wondering.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    It's been mentioned earlier... Some vendors have a card swipe but wifi in the BCEC is patchy, so your best bet would be to bring cash

• Options
    DoktrMikeDoktrMike Registered User regular
    Anyone know what side of the second floor the line will form for the main theater? Until last year it was on your right if you were standing at the entrance to the BCEC and facing inwards. Last year they moved it to the other side and myself and a bunch of other people went to line up there, but the enforcers let in folks from the previously-correct side first, even though there was no sign. As a result, the first 50 or so people in line for Story Time were folks that arrived outside the BCEC around an hour later than those of us that got there early and got into the correct line. Kinda unfair.

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    with these bag checks include pat downs as well?

It shouldn't, if it's the same thing they did at Anime Boston. This tweet from Official_PAX says it's just a bag check: