As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sgt. Superhero Thread: The Spring Spoilers

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    http://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-cinematic-universe-box-office/

The MCU is the most successful franchise in U.S. history. Bigger than Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and James Bond.
    1. Marvel Cinematic Universe (Nine movies) - $2,463.3 billion and counting
    2. Harry Potter (Eight movies) - $2,390.1 billion (next film, Fantastic Beasts, TBA)
    3. Star Wars (Seven movies) – $1,918.0 billion (Next film December 2015)
    4. James Bond (24 Movies) - $1,912.8 billion (Next film November 2015)
    5. Batman (Eight Movies) $1,897.8 billion (Next film May 2016)
    6. Lord of the Rings (Six movies) $1,622.0 billion (Next film December)
    7. Shrek (Five movies) $1,419.6 billion (Next film TBD)
    8. Spider-Man (Four movies) $1,375.9 billion (Next film May)
    9. Twilight (Five movies) $1,363.5 billion
    10. Pirates of the Caribbean (Four movies) $1,279.2 billion (Next film 2016)

U.S. history?

Is there a non-hollywood series that has made more than 2,500 billion?

Edit: Oh nevermind, US Gross

I suppose if you roll up all of Dr Who's 50 years and adjust for inflation?
    Considering Doctor Who is a BBC TV show that only had a handful of theater releases that would be pretty negligible

It said franchise, so I went with a franchise and didn't limit it to movie franchises.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yes but that still wouldn't be comparable? You'd have to bring in merchandising since Dr. Who doesn't directly make profits like movies do with ticket sales and I am 100% confident that Marvel makes more in merchandise than Dr. Who

CYpGAPn.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    if you brought in merchandising Star Wars would probably blow the rest away

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Mysst wrote: »
    if you brought in merchandising Star Wars would probably blow the rest away
    Probably

If you expanded the MCU to all Marvel Movies/TV shows then you might have a fair race, but otherwise Star Wars is a god damned juggernaut

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    there were five Shrek movies?

Four main, and then Puss in Boots

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    there were five Shrek movies?

Four main, and then Puss in Boots

there were four main shrek movies?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    seems like if you adjusted for inflation, bond would be a contender just by sheer number or releases

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    seems like if you adjusted for inflation, bond would be a contender just by sheer number or releases

Yeah that was the one that surprised me the most

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So Bendis says Flash is gonna become bros with Drax in his Guardians, as well as get a "cosmic makeover". Also after Original Sin there will be an Annual in August with Frank Cho that will get the series back on track with it's own plotlines as opposed to just bouncing between events.

I hope he doesn't get too much of an overhaul, he has an amazing costume.

Also apparently Venom was a more popular candidate to be the BIG EARTH HERO joining the team than Iron Man

Ugh, Frank Cho? If Guardians wasn't my favorite team, I'd be skipping that annual.

IKknkhU.gif
    Speaking of Cho's

Why the hell isn't there more amadeus cho in marvel now

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I feel like a lot of my favorite marvel characters are underused but I mean

There's so many and only so many books

Doesn't mean it doesn't bum me out though

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Got the third Young Avengers paperback today. This is the last one right?

PSN- AHermano
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    We get to see captain America on the boat!

Stilts wrote: »
    So Bendis says Flash is gonna become bros with Drax in his Guardians, as well as get a "cosmic makeover". Also after Original Sin there will be an Annual in August with Frank Cho that will get the series back on track with it's own plotlines as opposed to just bouncing between events.

Also apparently Venom was a more popular candidate to be the BIG EARTH HERO joining the team than Iron Man

Ugh, Frank Cho? If Guardians wasn't my favorite team, I'd be skipping that annual.
    Man what

I mean Cho is definitely obnoxiously cheesecakey and has horrible taste in comics but the dude is a very talented artist:
    vo8lsjwey6vh.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
    I feel like a lot of my favorite marvel characters are underused but I mean

There's so many and only so many books

Doesn't mean it doesn't bum me out though
    Well Cho actually did show up in Frank Cho's Savage Wolverine

but it was a pretty shitty book

I wish there was more of him, yeah, but they didn't forget about him

CYpGAPn.png
    Stilts wrote: »

Man what

I mean Cho is definitely obnoxiously cheesecakey and has horrible taste in comics but the dude is a very talented artist:
    vo8lsjwey6vh.jpg

That's very pretty but that sword being behind caps leg makes that perspective crazytown

Not really?

Thor slashed with his axe and knocked Cap backwards, I don't see how Thor's sword being between Cap's legs as he does so fucks with the perspective?

CYpGAPn.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm actually trying to figure it how the sword Cap is holding isn't flying in his face with how he's barely gripping it.

edited April 2014
    Not really?

Thor slashed with his axe and knocked Cap backwards, I don't see how Thor's sword being between Cap's legs as he does so fucks with the perspective?

Look at their sizes and thor's arms

They are both in profile and proportional, so they're standing on the same plane

For that sword to be between cap's legs, Thor's right arm would need to be in the middle of caps body

But if they're on the same plane that means his arms are like, in a full spread t-position up and down, but that's not how it looks at all

It's bending my brain trying to make all those things work together

Chincymcchilla on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, there are two minor things wrong - Thor's right-hand sword should be above Cap's leg, and Cap's hands should be more firmly gripping the sword. Damn thing looks like he's dropping it.

Not to get too nerdy, but I think these artists need to go watch some LARPers.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Got the third Young Avengers paperback today. This is the last one right?

Mic-Drop at the Edge of Time and Space? Yeah, that's the last one.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Frank Cho is a great artist but a bad writer.

See you next time on, Balepinions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    You guys are nuts; that image looks fine to me. And Cap's barely holding onto the sword because Thor just hit it with the axe.

Kate Mara says that F4 reboot is "very grounded" and that she "isn't sure" if Sue Storm has a superhero suit.

Fantastic Four is just about the last franchise I would want to be grounded. I mean, shit, Fantastic is literally in the name

CYpGAPn.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Also I am a couple weeks behind on comics but I just read the first issue of "Avenge the Earth" and that final page made me so excited.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Frank Cho is a great artist but a bad writer.

See you next time on, Balepinions.
    He also has HORRIBLE taste in comics. He redrew the TDKR Superman fight scene and changed the dialogue so that Bruce says "I'll always beat you because YOU'RE A GIANT PUSSY!"

Which is also pretty sexist!

Like I would never buy a comic the dude is writing but that doesn't change the fact that he is good at artstuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Frank Cho drawing Angela is going to be...something

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Kate Mara says that F4 reboot is "very grounded" and that she "isn't sure" if Sue Storm has a superhero suit.

Fantastic Four is just about the last franchise I would want to be grounded. I mean, shit, Fantastic is literally in the name

This just makes me worried that Sue Storm doesn't have a super suit because it's less "grounded" for her to be able to turn her clothes invisible, and so she'll just have to be naked when she wants to be invisible.

This is the same company that gave us naked Mystique, after all.

AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Frank Cho drawing Angela is going to be...something
    Yeaaaah.

Although that one isn't Cho's fault, nobody can draw her in that stupid costume without it looking super cheesecakey

CYpGAPn.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I feel like sometimes it's okay if comic book art just looks cool, even if the proportions/perspective/poses/etc don't exactly make perfect sense.

Though I guess it's that line of thinking that gave us Liefeld's Cap.

Kyougu on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

tumblr_mt4ih69bbT1rbkzyyo1_500.jpg

WHAT THIS NEEDS IS MORE GROUNDED

Centipede Damascus on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    At this point, I don't think anything will stop them from making this movie.

The sets could burn down and the actors could quit and they'd still say they were on track to film because Marvel CANNOT get those rights back.

They'll make it a shaky cam mockumentary for $200 before they let that happen.

edited April 2014
    You guys are nuts; that image looks fine to me. And Cap's barely holding onto the sword because Thor just hit it with the axe.

I dunno that reminds me of those pictures where liefeld clearly drew the sword and the hand independently

It's not a bad drawing its just a little wonky in spots

Chincymcchilla on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

This just makes me worried that Sue Storm doesn't have a super suit because it's less "grounded" for her to be able to turn her clothes invisible, and so she'll just have to be naked when she wants to be invisible.

I can't be bothered to verify, but didn't they already do that with Jessica Alba in the first movie?

They did that before she got her costume, yeah, she had to strip naked.

Twice, I believe.

CYpGAPn.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

I can't be bothered to verify, but didn't they already do that with Jessica Alba in the first movie?

that's my memory, too

definitely a "gag" where she loses her clothes due to invisibility mishaps.

(I will watch almost anything with Julian McMahon in it)

Grounded F4
    Sue is just ignored a lot
    Ben takes steroids
    Reed is just lanky
    Johnny has a lighter

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Grounded F4
    Sue is just ignored a lot
    Ben takes steroids
    Reed is just lanky
    Johnny has a lighter

But Reed still has the ultimate nullifier in a box in the basement.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Sue is just ignored a lot can turn invisible but only when nobody is looking.

This discussion has been closed.