As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Calling All Potential Sonic Line Riders

13»

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Seems a little fragmented this year, hopefully we can collect some data and go into next year with a solid plan for these trains.

My friend and I just booked the 174 regional, getting in around 6:45 on Thursday. We'll miss the dinner but be in time for the bar crawl or pre-pax boardgames.

We will also have Cards Against Humanity and various other games on the train up if you're there. Look for us in the dining car!

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    GokulioGokulio Registered User regular
    Ok, on the real, I just joined this forum just for this one thread. I need info, and I need it quickly.

First time PAX attendant from NY, heard from my friend in Philly that the Pax Train Lines have some discounts and that the Sonic Line in particular runs from NY to Boston. Moreover, from skimming the pages, I notice some people mentioned games and hangouts and such.

Soooooo.....what is the Sonic Line, how much does it cost, what do you do, when is the train leaving, when do you have to come back and are there really discounts?

In no particular order. If there is a quick FAQ please direct me to it, otherwise, I appreciate anyone can answer those questions before the prices of the Amtrak start going up.

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hey Gokulio!

The Sonic Line is the train that runs up the East Coast to Boston, hitting DC, NYC, and (I think) Hartford before pulling into Boston's South Station. It costs whatever an Amtrak ticket costs, there isn't an extra fee or discount code or anything. It's just a way for PAXers to plan which train to get on so we can all hang out and play games on the ride. I haven't done it myself before, but I'm looking forward to it this year.

Traditionally, the Sonic Line has been the 176, which leaves DC at noon and thus allows other trains coming from inland a chance to connect up. The problem is that it doesn't pull into Boston until after 8pm, and many PAXers from the East Coast are interested in some of the unofficial Thursday evening activities such as the board game night at the Westin, or the dinner, or the Poke-crawl, or just want to get a good night's sleep before the early morning rush on Friday. So this year a lot of us are opting for the 86 train instead, which leaves NYC around 12:30 and arrives more like 4:30. And I think a few are planning on taking the 174, which gets in at 6:45.

It's likely that next year this earlier train (either the 86 or the 174) will be renamed and get its own thread. I think "Knuckles" was suggested, which makes sense -- it's like Sonic's little buddy!

Coming back doesn't really have a system because everyone is checking out at different times from Sunday afternoon all the way to Monday night, and everyone is probably going to be exhausted anyway. Personally, I'll be taking the 173, which leaves around 11:30 on Monday. I'm sure whatever train you take back you'll find at least one other PAXer to hang out with / ignore as you sleep your way back to Penn Station.

ilta on
  • Options
    chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I bought my tickets 2 days ago and the saver seats were sold out... looked today and the value seats are gone ($71-$89 seats left). My boyfriend and I will be on the 172 arriving in Boston at 3:15 (we would've come in even earlier, but I have class until 12).

On the way back, we'll be on the 67, the last train out of Boston on Sunday night.

If anyone else will be on the 172 Thursday or the 67 Sunday, feel free to say "Hi!" :smiley:

EDIT: Please don't forget, if you purchase your tickets <14 days from the date of travel, the fare will increase. I believe you have until the 25th to purchase w/o the price increase. Also, if you wait, the official Sonic line may be sold out. Happy travels!

chellers on
  • Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    @chellers where are you boarding? I'm at the start of the line in DC

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    GokulioGokulio Registered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    Hey Gokulio!

The Sonic Line is the train that runs up the East Coast to Boston, hitting DC, NYC, and (I think) Hartford before pulling into Boston's South Station. It costs whatever an Amtrak ticket costs, there isn't an extra fee or discount code or anything. It's just a way for PAXers to plan which train to get on so we can all hang out and play games on the ride. I haven't done it myself before, but I'm looking forward to it this year.

Traditionally, the Sonic Line has been the 176, which leaves DC at noon and thus allows other trains coming from inland a chance to connect up. The problem is that it doesn't pull into Boston until after 8pm, and many PAXers from the East Coast are interested in some of the unofficial Thursday evening activities such as the board game night at the Westin, or the dinner, or the Poke-crawl, or just want to get a good night's sleep before the early morning rush on Friday. So this year a lot of us are opting for the 86 train instead, which leaves NYC around 12:30 and arrives more like 4:30. And I think a few are planning on taking the 174, which gets in at 6:45.

It's likely that next year this earlier train (either the 86 or the 174) will be renamed and get its own thread. I think "Knuckles" was suggested, which makes sense -- it's like Sonic's little buddy!

Coming back doesn't really have a system because everyone is checking out at different times from Sunday afternoon all the way to Monday night, and everyone is probably going to be exhausted anyway. Personally, I'll be taking the 173, which leaves around 11:30 on Monday. I'm sure whatever train you take back you'll find at least one other PAXer to hang out with / ignore as you sleep your way back to Penn Station.

ooh, well I guess I won't be hanging with you guys anyways then, because I only reserved my booking from Friday to Sunday. I figure I hop on the earliest train, drop off my stuff and then try to enjoy the event as much as possible before heading back to settle in. If there are any nighttime excursions on Saturday, maybe I can hang out with the rest off you.

I'll be taking the 190 Northeast Regional and arriving at 11:00 am, however when does PAX EAST end on Sunday? Maybe I'll be able to join one of you on the way home.

• Options
    @xenard We get on in New London, CT. We'll only be on the train for about 1.5hrs vs your 8.5hrs.

• Options
    sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    @flatline @randomatom @thunderbolt7 I'll be on the 174 Thursday from NY Penn station with my SO, I'll also wear a pax scarf. What car should we all head for? Rear most?

• Options
    UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    Gokulio wrote: »

I'll be taking the 190 Northeast Regional and arriving at 11:00 am, however when does PAX EAST end on Sunday? Maybe I'll be able to join one of you on the way home.

PAX East ends at 7pm on Sunday.

• Options
    EagleAlphaXEagleAlphaX New JerseyRegistered User regular
    So I noticed for last year's Sonic Line thread, they had everyone post their names, twitter accounts, games they are bringing, etc. in a semi-official format. Are we doing that here or should we make a new thread?

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If people want to do that, I would say use this thread.

• Options
    Well I guess I can start this up then. This is the form stolen borrowed from last year with an added entry for the line (Sonic/Knuckles).
    Just copy/paste the code below and add your info:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [B]Line:[/B]
    [B]Twitter:[/B]
    [B]Location:[/B]
    [B]Boarding Stop:[/B]
    [B]Ticket Purchased:[/B]
    [B]Games You Are Bringing:[/B]

If you are feeling super awesome, color code your line with the color tag like this:
    [color=blue]Sonic[/color]

or
    [color=red]Knuckles[/color]

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Name: Kevin
    Line: Knuckles
    Twitter: N/A (but I may make one soon)
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia, 30th Street Station
    Ticket Purchased: yes (plus 3 friends)
    Games You Are Bringing: Nintendo 3DS with Bravely Default, Luigi's Mansion, and Star Fox, and Munchkin. (I may ask my friends to bring Story Wars)

EagleAlphaX on
    wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Name: Ehhh......I'll introduce myself in person. Sorry, I'm paranoid about such things.
    Twitter: N/A
    Boarding Stop: 30th St in Philly
    Ticket Purchased: Yes (+1)
    Games You Are Bringing: Not sure yet. Probably things on the smaller side with not too many components to slide around/lose. I'll definitely have Zombie Fluxx and Zombie/Cthulu Dice with me for filler-type stuff, but need to figure out what longer board/card games I can pack easily. We'll both have our iPhones with us, too, so anything on that front can work, too.

Schmulki on
  • Options
    teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Name: Kim
    Line: Knuckles (Assuming we are in fact referring to the 86, arriving at South Station at 4:36pm)
    Twitter: Teriwyn (I do not use this account much, but will fire it back up for PAX. Not a good way to contact me otherwise currently.
    Boarding Stop: BWI
    Ticket Purchased: Yes, my ticket and my husband's tickets are both purchased.
    Games You Are Bringing:
    BANG!
    We Didn't Playtest This At All
    Poo
    Phase 10
    Love Letter
    7 Wonders (probably not for the train, but we'll have it).
    Dutch Blitz
    No Thanks
    Forbidden Island

Other: You'll be able to identify me easily, as I'll be the auburnbrown-haired pregnant lady.

teriwyn on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Name: Redacted
    Twitter: Redacted
    Boarding Stop: Union Station
    Ticket Purchased: Yes
    Games You Are Bringing: Options include Cards Against Humanity, Zombie Fluxx, and Resistance. If someone can convince me that Lords of Waterdeep would not be a logistical nightmare for a variety of reasons inherent to train travel, I can entertain the idea.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Lords of Waterdeep will be a logistical nightmare. The train goes through many turns, and pieces and cards will slide everywhere.

Also, table space for a game like that would be sketchy at best.

• Options
    On the other hand, there is a very good implementation of Lords of Waterdeep for the ipad... also a simply FANTASTIC Ticket to Ride (thematic!) and Smallworld.

• Options
    hokiewalrushokiewalrus NJRegistered User new member
    Name: Paul
    Twitter: hokiewalrus
    Boarding Stop: NYP
    Ticket Purchased: Yup
    Games You Are Bringing: Ascension, possibly Magic, nothing else suitable for a train. Also an iPad full of digital board games.

• Options
    Thunderbolt7Thunderbolt7 Registered User regular
    @thunderbolt7 I'll be on the 174 Thursday from NY Penn station with my SO, I'll also wear a pax scarf. What car should we all head for? Rear most?
    Yeah, we're probably going to head for the rear since the cars in the front usually fill up first. If you want, that day I'll tweet out what car we're in when we pull up to Penn, I have a friend that's getting on there that needs the info anyway. Handle is @mightyator.

• Options
    sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    I am @enthusiastone, will do the same

• Options
    Yea, head to the back for digital games, and then as much as possible, take over the dining car with board/card gaming goodness. :)

• Options
    IrishPh3n0mIrishPh3n0m Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Name: Damian
    Twitter: Mulajin
    Boarding Stop: Union Station DC
    Ticket Purchased: Yup!
    Games You Are Bringing: Ummmm... my laptop, 3DS, could bring Catan, Cards Against Humanity, and traditional "family" board games

IrishPh3n0m on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Finally booked my ticket on the 172 line. I had no idea "Sonic Line riders" was the train but anyone who's on my train should come by and say hello!

Name: Ryan
    Line: 172 NE Regional
    Twitter: @loofmodnar
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia
    Games You Are Bringing: 3DS, others depending on what I can fit.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Rear most car the customary place to congregate for this?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Rear most car the customary place to congregate for this?

Based on what was said in last year's thread, yes, we should try to get the back car.

*Disclaimer: This is my first time taking the train to PAX, so I'm going off the forums and don't have any actual Sonic Line experience.

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Having never been on a train, I've got a question that might be dumb. When people get a seat (for example in the back car), do they just leave their belongings there if they go to, say, the dining car for a while? Or do they haul everything with them and hope when they get back, the seat is still there...? How does that work?

All I can picture is a huge airplane that runs on the ground, lol, so I am a bit out of my element... :)

teriwyn on
  • Options
    PraxisLokiPraxisLoki Registered User regular
    Name: I'll meet you at the station or on the train, we'll all be easy to spot. ;)
    Twitter: PraxisLoki
    Boarding Stop: Union Station
    Games You Are Bringing: COUP (With tokens so we can play with factions.)

• Options
    PitBull008PitBull008 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    MANY SHENANIGANS WILL BE HAD.

Name: Look for the scarfs =D
    Twitter: What's twitter? (i forget what it is)
    Boarding Stop: BWI
    Ticket Purchased: Yes (5 of us)
    Games You Are Bringing: Definitely going to have: Spaceteam on cellphones, 3ds (mario party, tetris axis, poke x/y, and mario kart)
    Board games: Telestrations, zombiedice, rest To be determined! I'll update this post tonight when my roommate and I figure out what of the 50 board/card games we own we are actually bringing.

PitBull008 on
  • Options
    Hi, fellow BWI-boarder! See you tomorrow morning!

• Options
    BSGRushBSGRush Registered User regular
    Just boarded the 86 in Philly. Boston here I come.

• Options
    Tiny415Tiny415 Registered User regular
    Waiting at the Wilmington DE train station to board Regional 176.

Where is everyone sitting?

PAX East 2010 Enforcer
    2010 Team SQUIRTLE Trainer
  • Options
    On the 172 finally!

• Options
    Missed my train, ended up on the 174. Just left NYC!

By the way, I don't recommend missing a train. That's an expensive mistake.