As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Those Nutty Boardgames are At It TWICE (PRE and POST Pax Boardgame Nights)

123457»

• amu_gamesamu_games Registered User regular
    Ok, I am in Boston and managed to bring King of Tokyo and Munchkin (original). Now to get this pesky booth set up quickly so I'll have time to play!

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Yup, I'm here till Monday (just got in this evening). Dominant Species didn't make it into any of the luggage.

Related note: I'm at the Westin all week, so if anybody gets a hankering for a game down in the lobby and we're not out and about, we'd be down.

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    Haven't seen anyone mention Cash N Guns, so I think I'll bring at least that.

• akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    Whats the preferred parking situation at the Westin? Do they have some sort of parking lot (probably paid I bet), or someplace nearby? Need to hit the PrePax Dinner as well, so want to get some game in before and afterwards

• RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm bringing Battlestar Galactica (with 2 expansions), Firefly the game, and Star Wars X-Wing with 20 ships. I'm one of the guys that had the epic 3 ship, 7.5 hr game of X-Wing at PAX Prime, lol.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    akiboshi wrote: »
    Whats the preferred parking situation at the Westin? Do they have some sort of parking lot (probably paid I bet), or someplace nearby? Need to hit the PrePax Dinner as well, so want to get some game in before and afterwards

There is a general consensus that driving/parking is a total PITA and most advice you'll see is to take the T.

Try some of the FAQ threads for suggestions (like this one: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/29329891).

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    I had no problem with the lot a couple blocks away from the convention center last year. It was about $13 for the day or something around that price. Right on the left when you get off the turnpike exit. driving isn't that bad so long as you go straight from the turnpike to the convention center. don't bother driving within the city though.

• LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I'm in Boston and bringing a friend. We'll be bringing Killer Bunnies with us (only has the yellow expansion that came with the game).

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Anyone showing up yet? I'm just killing time around town waiting for 4pm!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• iltailta Registered User regular
    I ended up packing x wing, firefly (plus breaking atmo), coup, resistance, innovation, and eminent domain. See y'all soon!

• chrisdojochrisdojo Registered User new member
    Quite a list there. Cool to see MERCS on the list!

• capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    Is it busy there yet? Thinking about stopping by.

Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Whew! Arrived in Boston a couple hours ago, and after getting some dinner I'm looking forward to dropping by.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    Another great evening. Many thanks to Lexicongrrl for organising. Quite pleased when I checked at about 1:15 and of the three tables still going on the mezzanine 2 were playing betrayal at the house on the hill.
    Are the tables staying up all weekend? If so that could be a place to head after the concerts kick out.

Are the tables staying up all weekend?

Yup! And another game night on Sunday. ALL THE GAMES. ALL OF THEM.

I'm just glad I got a game of eldritch horror in at tabletop. 5 hours and lost the game. But still very fun to learn.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I only got to stay for a couple of hours, but I did get in a game of String Railway and Hanabi! ThNks to the group of four that I essentially crashed in to play.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    I'm just glad I got a game of eldritch horror in at tabletop. 5 hours and lost the game. But still very fun to learn.

Pretty sure I met you on Friday night. Sorry to run away on you :p

• RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be at the westin for the post PAX gaming with Battlestar Galactica (with 2 expansions), Firefly the game, and Star Wars X-Wing. I'll be wearing a red Detroit red wings ball cap.

edited April 2014

Aye we did meet but you were pretty busy with firefly so it's fine. I ran another eldritch horror today at tabletop room. Man, it takes a long time to explain to first time players

akiboshi on

We had a great time both nights. I was a bit surprised by how empty the place was on Sunday night compared to Friday -- after 3 days of nonstop gaming though, I guess everybody has their limits (and outbound flights).

We stayed up playing games until people were falling asleep at the table on Sunday night. Good stuff all around, though I was a bit disappointed the Westin kitchen closed so early on Sunday, (but that one is really out of everybody's hands I know.)

Props go out to LexiconGrrl for organizing and running the info booth and even answering my stupid questions. Very awesome of you.

See you next year!

• forty2jforty2j Registered User new member
    I'll be at the westin for the post PAX gaming with Battlestar Galactica (with 2 expansions), Firefly the game, and Star Wars X-Wing. I'll be wearing a red Detroit red wings ball cap.

Thanks for teaching a table of noobs BSG, and being the most human cylon ever!

• iltailta Registered User regular
    Great job this year Lexi! Loved the official unofficial Sunday night addition.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Great to meet everyone ... and playing Forbidden Desert with Lexi .... :-) ... my daughter was really happy that everyone treated her like an adult. Thx for making her trip special guys.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    Looking forward to the pre-PAX board game night at PAX South now -- hope it will be a thing!

@Tripleozero - it might need someone to step up and organize it. Are you volunteering?

Hey All! Here's the wrapup from this year and what to expect for next year:

- The Thursday night game night was a huge success. It was a little slower than last year, but not significantly.
    - The Westin reported zero incidents! Wooo!!
    - With PAX closing earlier (at midnight) each night, the Mezzanine tables got a lot of use. The downside was that everybody was tapped by Sunday night, so it was really slow. We ended up closing down the extra bar & restaurant early because they weren't doing any business.
    - Not enough people used the analog game-matchup service, so I'll be pushing that extra hard next year.
    - We didn't have enough games available to loan out to people, so we'll be encouraging people to bring loanable games next year too.

For next year, we'll probably nix the Sunday night game night. It just wasn't worth it for the hotel. I plan on seeing if we can get the lower lobby tables left out all weekend in addition to the mezzanine tables so more people can game late on Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights too.

In case I can't make it next year, if anybody wants to assume coordination of this event please send me a PM.

Thanks everybody, for making it a success!

edited April 2014
    @Tripleozero - it might need someone to step up and organize it. Are you volunteering?

Nah, we're more of the get there at the last minute (or later) types. That said, I've already booked a room at the Marriott across the street.

Tripleozero on
    I brought about 5-6 games and all were lent out in about 15 minutes. They were all returned well-packed and in great shape. If you have extra games, I'd strongly recommend bringing them; people will appreciate it!

I was in the restaurant area and we were a bit informal with the actual lending. As opposed to the pen and paper system, I just asked where they were playing and left it at that. It seemed pretty safe since the community is so great, but others' mileage may vary. If you're handing a stranger a $70 game, you probably want to keep tabs on it.

On Sunday, nothing lent out at all -- people were either gamed out or too into Game of Thrones by then.

On a random note, I was surprised by how few forum badges I saw there.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    - Not enough people used the analog game-matchup service, so I'll be pushing that extra hard next year.

For next year, we'll probably nix the Sunday night game night. It just wasn't worth it for the hotel. I plan on seeing if we can get the lower lobby tables left out all weekend in addition to the mezzanine tables so more people can game late on Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights too.

Analog game-matchup service? You mean the signup paper? I didn't even know that existed until Sunday. But on Sunday, I made good use of it! Meet a couple of really good people, played games with them until after midnight!

As for Sun night, I really hope it's not nixed for Sunday. Maybe just scale it down to a smaller area. There were still a lot of people there and playing games from right around when PAX closed until at least midnight.

Schmulki wrote: »
    As for Sun night, I really hope it's not nixed for Sunday. Maybe just scale it down to a smaller area. There were still a lot of people there and playing games from right around when PAX closed until at least midnight.

Yeah, that's what it would be - just the tables left out like they were for the rest of the weekend. No upstairs bar, no restaurant, no signup sheets or staffed info table.

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    Awesome! As long as my Westin reservation holds out, I'll be there, and I'll bring dominion, plus another player. I could bring Monopoly (I have a set from 1936) but we're there to make friends, not break them, right?

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    Awesome! As long as my Westin reservation holds out, I'll be there, and I'll bring dominion, plus another player. I could bring Monopoly (I have a set from 1936) but we're there to make friends, not break them, right?

I will point out that this thread is from East 2014, not for East 2015 - that being said, I'm reasonably certain that @LexiconGrrl (or somebody else) will be running a similar event at East 2015. Stay tuned for further details!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

This discussion has been closed.