As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Good to know. Thank you stardust.

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    akl3in wrote: »
    It's been mentioned earlier... Some vendors have a card swipe but wifi in the BCEC is patchy, so your best bet would be to bring cash

Well I'm rather busy at this time with school and homework and work before I could go. I didnt really have the time to go through thirty pages so I just figured I'd ask. Thank you though. Now to just figure out how early to be there.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • happypoptaryhappypoptary Registered User new member
    Hey I am attending pax east all 3 days this weekend I am 16 and was wondering am I too young will people want to talk to me in lines or will they think I am just a kid? Thank you for reading

• fexamfexam Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if there are gender neutral/ unisex/ single person bathrooms anywhere in the BCEC? Suggestions on tucked away, less-trafficked bathrooms are also welcome!

• jhaight2008jhaight2008 Registered User new member
    Sorry if these have been asked already. What is a swag bag? Would it be best not to bring a bag so u don't have to get checked and can get through lines quicker? I see all these tournaments but no specific info about them, is there info out there? This is my first convention ever so I have a feeling I am just going to spend the day trying to figure everything out and then actually do stuff next year if I get tix.

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    soo i forgot my pass at home,is there any way i can get a temp pass or a replacement?

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    What is a swag bag?
    A swag bag is a bag full of free stuff (swag) that is given out. It usually includes a starter deck of some game (e.g., Magic, Cards Against Humanity), stickers, possibly a spleen or liver. Just cool, free stuff. It's one of the many ways that PAX says "Thanks for coming."
    Would it be best not to bring a bag so u don't have to get checked and can get through lines quicker?
    This really depends on what you are planning on doing and where you are staying. I'm a local and it takes me about an hour to get to the BCEC. I also don't want to spend money on the insanely priced "food" at the BCEC. Also, I like free swag (see above). That all being said, I bring a nice sized bag where I store munchies/lunch, and it's also where I get to put all the cool stuff I pick up at the convention. Yeah, we'll have to deal with getting checked, but the extra time in line spent waiting to get checked is worth it (in my opinion). Again, this is totally up to the individual.
    I see all these tournaments but no specific info about them, is there info out there?
    If you go to the PAX site and look at the schedule, it will give you information about the tournament. I'd suggest showing up in the area at least 30 minutes prior and talk to someone. Everyone at PAX is very friendly and willing to explain things to you, so long as you ask. The enforcers especially are immensely helpful.
    This is my first convention ever so I have a feeling I am just going to spend the day trying to figure everything out and then actually do stuff next year if I get tix.
    Welcome to your new home. This is what most of us look forward to each year. I suggest you take your time looking around and choose your lines wisely. Don't go waiting 1-2 hours in a line for a demo that you will get to try in 3 months. Talk to your fellow PAXers. Ask questions if you don't know about something. If you are in the tabletop area, ask if you can join a game. It's Gamer's Eden and you'll rarely find anyone who's not willing to help out.

What I usually do (I get 3 days) is I spend my initial entry in the tabletop area because everyone else is rushing the floor. I look around, try some games out, then I wander the floor for a bit while waiting for my first panel. Doing this, I get to survey what's out there and make a mental note on what I want to check out. The best things I've found at the PAXes I've been to have been in the indie sections. Those are games/products you've never head of before, and some of them are mind-blowing (e.g., Hawken, Stinky Board).

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Paxman90Paxman90 Registered User regular
    so I know this is last minute but I am packing tonight and couldnt find a clear answer. Is it okay to bring a backpack with some snacks and a bottle of water to the BCEC?

Paxman90 wrote: »
    so I know this is last minute but I am packing tonight and couldnt find a clear answer. Is it okay to bring a backpack with some snacks and a bottle of water to the BCEC?
    Yes. I do it every year.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    fexam wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are gender neutral/ unisex/ single person bathrooms anywhere in the BCEC? Suggestions on tucked away, less-trafficked bathrooms are also welcome!

I think, according to this map, the one next to the kickstarter lounge on the first floor is
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/188585/pax-east-2014-dyamaps-nsf56k

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • jhaight2008jhaight2008 Registered User new member
    Thanks for the answers Le_Goat

Glad to be of service, my friend.

• Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    While looking over the guidebook.com info for Pax East I saw the PAX XP information.
    This is the first I've heard about this new game.
    I'm not seeing a thread about it here in the forum though.

I'm not asking for the locations of all the QR codes or anything. (But if someone wanted to message me with hints or something... that would be fine.)

look for QR codes on official PAX banners.

were would the pax shuttle bus for the omni parker hotel be at? i heard it wasnt going to be out front were it would normally be.

• OcelottOcelott Registered User regular
    were would the pax shuttle bus for the omni parker hotel be at? i heard it wasnt going to be out front were it would normally be.
    it was across row Street... There is a sign in the lobby

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    So, Day 1 is done. How are we all feeling so far?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Tired and hungover!

• RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    I'm wondering what happened to tell tale

good point. I didn't see Telltale at all.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Watch the screens on the way into the con for a very important message from Pwnmeal. Might be the best thing I've seen so far.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Max Temkin joke or not, a gamer oatmeal is probably healthier than a diet of Mountain Dew, Doritos, and other "gamer snax"

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    What was the best swag people got and the best demos to check out? Yesterday was my "where is everything" day and now I can breathe and go to booths early for demos.

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
    I didnt get much swag but the Wolfenstein demo was pretty sweet.

anybody go to the Borderlands one yesterday? I thought about it but the lines were so ridiculous!

anybody know how much the autograph sessions for Mass Effect tomorrow morning will cost?

Shadowfire wrote: »
    Watch the screens on the way into the con for a very important message from Pwnmeal. Might be the best thing I've seen so far.

Do NOT throw away your Pwnmeal from your swag bag. Make sure you open it first. Something special inside

will the shuttle bus carry your luggage to pax on sunday?or would i have to take a taxi?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to try the oculus, stay away from the oculus booth. The line is absurd. The indie megabooth has a bunch of games using it that have short lines though!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone know what's at the end of that Borderlands line?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ZoraZora CTRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I think they're showing a video. I asked one of the 2K people if they're giving anything out after and she said she didn't think so, so I'll wait until Sunday I guess since I don't have to worry about swag running out.

• akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    Is there a separate line to go to in the morning for the merch booth lite?

• WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Anyone know where to find the Cactuar plushie?

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Zora wrote: »

I think they're showing a video. I asked one of the 2K people if they're giving anything out after and she said she didn't think so, so I'll wait until Sunday I guess since I don't have to worry about swag running out.

You're kidding me, the same video leaked on Monday that RPS already has an article on? I thought it was at least a t-shirt because it's the same setup that Valve had a few years ago with Portal 2 - wait in line to watch a video.

Not to jump on the "PAX is overhyped / overcrowded / merch fest" train, but man, the tabletop / indie area is definitely the best part of the show.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    does the shuttle bus bring people from the hotel to pax on the 11pm shift?

• aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    Not sure where to post this. I dropped $75 in the front of the expo hall around 9:30 tonight. I noticed immediately, not 30 seconds later, but it was already gone. It had not been turned in at the info desk or to the nearby police officer. Please, if you found $75 in cash, it's mine, and I would love it back.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • jununjunun Registered User new member
    edited April 2014
    There were two ways to get borderlands swag. One was to pre-order the new game and receive an exclusive t-shirt only available at Pax East. The other was by waiting in line (2.5 + hrs) to watch the live gameplay demo of the new game. After watching, you'll receive a passport book that you'll need to get stamped when you take your picture with Handsome Jack and also visit the nvidia booth to try out the new Borderlands 2 DLC. Once you have all three stamps, return to the 2K booth and you'll get a claptrap pull-string bag, and 5 trading cards. Within the trading cards there is a chance to win 1 of 20 "Butt Stallion" figurines. Overall, the process was probably a waste of time, but the girlfriend really wanted the claptrap bag.

junun on

You're kidding me, the same video leaked on Monday that RPS already has an article on? I thought it was at least a t-shirt because it's the same setup that Valve had a few years ago with Portal 2 - wait in line to watch a video.

Not to jump on the "PAX is overhyped / overcrowded / merch fest" train, but man, the tabletop / indie area is definitely the best part of the show.
    One of my personal PAX codes: never wait in ridiculous lines for shit that is either already out or will be in the next several months.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

Tabletop and Indie are what its all about. The only large company this year that had any "PAX Spirit" was Turbine/WB. The Infinite Crisis booth had some swag, videos, demos and people talking up the game. Unfortunately there demo was poorly designed for the timing of a convention like PAX My wife and I waited in line for 90 minutes, often not moving for 10-15 minutes at a time because the demo had a objective that took some groups up to 60 minutes each to finish, so turnover at the demo chairs was slow. On top of that, I was paired with 3 people (My wife being one of them) who had no clue how to control the game and one who at least knew basics. The opposing 5 all knew what they were doing and it was the worst ass kicking in MOBA history and it still went on for 20 minutes. I was actually grateful that it was an ass kicking because after 90 min in line and 20 min demo, I was hungry and had to use mens room, so to the team who kicked our butts... THANK YOU.

Good Job to NVIDIA, TURBINE and BETHESDA... To the rest of the exhibitors , PAX is about seeing the future and remembering the past and getting some swag to remember the event by. It is not a place to sell $ 5.00 tee shirts for $ 30.00 or torture your potential customers. Bethesda did an awesome job last year with ESO demo and Party, to bad the game sucked and is DOA in most people's eyes.

But a lot of the blame for PAX sucking ass this year goes to the attendees who have turned into so scumbag entrepreneurs. Last years Cards Against Humanities resell value on Ebay seemed of more interest to a few thousand then any game being introduced, and that left a sour taste in the exhibitors mouths. I literally watched people run to the front of the swag line, grab 10 bags, go to the trash can, dump most of the stuff, load the rest into their backpacks and rejoin the line to cut people off again. I know there is a rule against contact, but I actually had a guy pass me for the third time while I was inline and made an intentional wide turn with my backpack which had 4 laptops in it and weighed about 35 pounds and knocked him on his ass through the pipe rope. I of course apologized. But this is why PAX sucked. Greedy people trying to pay for their entire hotel and bar bill by reselling shit. The companies are afraid to bring the good stuff because of these people and they are doing their best to weed them out of their booths and parties, but they are scum of the gaming industry and their should be an open hunting season on them.

Give the Enforcers at the swag bag lines TASERs and nail the bastards next year. Yes I am the same person who said if you buy a 3 day pass you are entitled to 1 bag, and if you buy 3 one days then you are entitled to 3 bags. But anyone who takes more then 1 bag per ticket intentionally should be TASER'd, All their bags confiscated, the PAX Badge taken away and sent to BPD to be charged with Theft. Until something is done about these scumbags, companies are going to be gun shy.

Worst PAX ever.... and if you are one of the "entrepreneurs" the reason is you. F OFF AND DIE

Dolarrah on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    So what the heck exactly happened with the (lack there of) Women Bathrooms this year at the BCEC?

Myself, my friends, and just about every woman gamer I talked to were quite pissed about this.